PDA

View Full Version : Memphis could cancel series

BobZag
04-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Andy Katz--

Pastner could be open to getting out of the series with Gonzaga. Mark Few said the decision on the series is up to Pastner.

Zagfan62
04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
I really like the Memphis-Gonzaga series.

What he is going to pansy out? Dumb!

CDC84
04-16-2009, 10:20 AM
With Memphis losing stature due to Calipari's departure, they need the Gonzaga series more than ever now. The Tigers have beaten GU 4 years in a row, and in each of those years, the win has been a significant NCAA tourney resume enhancer. It would be a foolish decision on Pastner's part to dump the series.

dnj116
04-16-2009, 10:22 AM
I feel as though this series is very beneficial to both programs - more so for memphis now. Because Memphis is seemingly "rebuilding" after the loss of Calipari, home and home games with Gonzaga is just what Pastner needs. Not to mention keeping the non-BCS ties strong is always a good thing from where I'm sitting.

dnj116
04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Beat me to it CDC...

MississppiZag
04-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Fans here in Memphis are pushing to keep the series. As am I. How else am I going to see the Zags? I think I will write a letter to their Athletic Director, as well as Pastner.

Also, Memphis has already dropped 4 games that I know of....UNC, Duke, Kansas, and Louisville were games that were going to be played next year and in 2010. Hopefully Gonzaga is kept on the schedule for selfish reasons.:)

BobZag
04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Memphis (and Xavier for that matter) is really being hit hard by recruit defections due to losing the head coach. Pastner could view his team as being down next season and beyond.

Godzilla
04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Does every team quit the series with Gonzaga. I mean come on do they really want to look like those damn UW huskies from the other side of the state. I reallly don't think so. They should just play against us.

Goshzagit
04-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Memphis (and Xavier for that matter) is really being hit hard by recruit defections due to losing the head coach. Pastner could view his team as being down next season and beyond.

I wish this were the case, however, I believe its more about Memphis and their new Coach wanting to play a higher profile BCS team. Pastner seems like a solid coach and even better guy, yet can't deny the fact he's BCS born and bred. To this day, there are still many whom believe its a lose-lose situation to play Gonzaga. From sources on Memphistigers.org it is mentioned that Pastner and Company are desperately trying to develop a home-in-home series with Louisville. The Memphis fans desperately want to continue the series with us, but Memphis officials may wish to move in a different direction.

It'll be interesting how this unfolds, because most Memphis fans said it'd be "stupid" to end the series with Gonzaga. They believe they're fortunate to play such a prominent program during conference play.

MDABE80
04-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Missipp.you're serious???? dropped those school from the schedule? Yikes! GU should siddle up and go get a Kansas game. Or Duke! Or UNC! Tough precon season but it would be watch heavily. Toughen the kids up too.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
With Memphis losing stature due to Calipari's departure, they need the Gonzaga series more than ever now. The Tigers have beaten GU 4 years in a row, and in each of those years, the win has been a significant NCAA tourney resume enhancer. It would be a foolish decision on Pastner's part to dump the series.

Can't say it better than that.

gamagin
04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Fans here in Memphis are pushing to keep the series. As am I. How else am I going to see the Zags? I think I will write a letter to their Athletic Director, as well as Pastner.

Also, Memphis has already dropped 4 games that I know of....UNC, Duke, Kansas, and Louisville were games that were going to be played next year and in 2010. Hopefully Gonzaga is kept on the schedule for selfish reasons.:)

and now having plans to drop GU. I think the teams that replace all of these top schools will tell the final tale. But on the surface, I'd say this new coach, & perhaps the school, is scaling way back in fear of getting trounced while rebuilding.

the problem, of course, is once you pull out of this kind of competition, you may not get back for a long, long time.

On the bright side, we all now know that UNC, DUke, Kansas and Louisville have an opening . . . as, apparently, do we.

Go TEAM Zags !