PDA

View Full Version : A Hypothetical "if" Question

BobZag
04-15-2009, 10:54 AM
If Austin decides to sign with an agent after he enters the draft w/o an agent, what Zag or combination of Zags will have to step up the most and fill the void?

I think it'll have to be Elias Harris, Bol Kong and Mangisto Arop since they are wings. Elias is probably the most ready, he is averaging 20 and 9 in Germany Pro-B, which is roughly equal to the WCC.

Zagfan62
04-15-2009, 11:15 AM
I actually think you are right BobZag. I also believe that we will need a new rebounding machine, and I am not sure Robert Sacre can do it all. (Man did we ever need him down the stretch this past year!!!)

He is a good compliment and atheltic, but all in all, I think Austin Daye will stay with the Zags. I think he will pull a Jeremy Pargo, because Daye is not only not strong enough, but he also needs to learn a few things too.

VinnyZag
04-15-2009, 11:21 AM
According to Meehan, writing this morning on his blog: http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/apr/15/daye-will-submit-name-nba-draft/

But in answer to your question, I'd think Poling would be in the mix, too, since Daye is primarily a 4-man.

Zagfan62
04-15-2009, 11:23 AM
According to Meehan, writing this morning on his blog: http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/apr/15/daye-will-submit-name-nba-draft/

But in answer to your question, I'd think Poling would be in the mix, too, since Daye is primarily a 4-man.

See this is what I am talking about, right there....

I think he is going to see what the NBA scouts think, and see what he has to improve over the course of the next year. I think he is done after next season, however, as he will undoubtedly will improve upon what the scouts want him too.

I have been wrong before, though.....

JohnOGU
04-15-2009, 01:14 PM
harris and poling. Its so hard for me to believe that Austin will hire an agent. He is not ready. plain and simple. A team would be stupid to take him in the first round. As weak as this draft is, he is that much weaker.

cjm720
04-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Kong, Arop, and Gibbs

hoopster777
04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
harris and poling. Its so hard for me to believe that Austin will hire an agent. He is not ready. plain and simple. A team would be stupid to take him in the first round. As weak as this draft is, he is that much weaker.

The thing is, he is weak, but in a weak draft especially towards the end of the 1st round where positions on teams are mostly filled with star talent, teams draft according to potential. Daye at this point is purely a potential player. He goes this year, he would hardly make an impact at all, no matter where he goes.

MotoZag
04-15-2009, 04:45 PM
After reading every post in this thread, I get a feeling that people are angry that he is even attempting to take part in the draft. We're very sure that he's got a lot of potential that could be unlocked with some gained muscle, so who's to say the NBA couldn't unlock that potential themselves?

With that said, I hope he stays. However, I'm not going to lose any sleep if he moves on and decided to make some money out of talent.

lothar98zag
04-15-2009, 04:59 PM
...I hope he stays. However, I'm not going to lose any sleep if he moves on and decided to make some money out of talent.
:agreed:

BobZag
04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't see any anger. I think next season will be fun, either way. I'm real eager to see all the new guys. Next season could be a very pleasant surprise. Looking forward to it. If Daye does leave, I do think Elias and Bol will be the main guys to step up. Elias is improving every month, it seems, rising fast.

Nevtelen
04-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Elias is improving every month, it seems, rising fast.

Just wondering where you heard that/got that info - it's tough to find good info on Harris out there. Is that per staff, your own observations of box scores/written reports, etc. Don't mean to pry, but it is hard to find info on Harris and, well enquiring minds want to know. It is the off-season after all...

MDABE80
04-15-2009, 05:50 PM
He's 6'7"/6'8" 220 and a major leaper. Tough kid by all accounts. I'm looking forward to see him in person. I don't know all that much about him but everything points to him being a steal. Love to see him grow another in or 2.

Andy's 240 lbs now. He'll be a great surprise. I peaked at him in scrimmage this past season. Didn't recognise him but he was very good. I was surprised because I though he might still be a sickly looking beanpole of a kid. Not so much.

NotoriousZ
04-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Maybe it's Arop who steps up. Take this for what it's worth, but a friend of mine supposedly chatted with him on facebook and after Manny was asked which NBA player his game most resembled, he replied "Labron's." There are so many ways in which this could not be true, but it's exciting to hear that stuff none the less...

DoggieDogpound
04-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Just wondering where you heard that/got that info - it's tough to find good info on Harris out there. Is that per staff, your own observations of box scores/written reports, etc. Don't mean to pry, but it is hard to find info on Harris and, well enquiring minds want to know. It is the off-season after all...

I'm wondering the same thing. I assume that Tommy Lloyd has seen him play in person and has good connections for getting these reports on Harris. I'm sure the staff is sure he can get NCAA sanctioning to play for GU beings he is in a "Pro" league - at least we hope. To me, he sounds like he could be very similar to Diamon Simpson.

Reborn
04-15-2009, 09:08 PM
If Austin leaves GU has a big whole to fill for sure. Austin plays the 4 spot, so that's where we will need to fill the whole. Austin would score between 15 and 24 ppg, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks or more. I was hoping one of the new guys would be a good sub for him, but if he left we'd need to look at a starter who can score and board. From all that I've read about the Zags who will be there next year, I'd say it will be Harris and Poling. And maybe Bol, as BZ says.

It will ber very interesting for sure, since I've never seen any of them play. But that's what makes college basketball fun. I'm also excited to see Dower play. If he could get up to 225 that would really help. He's 6'9" and my guess is he could be tough, and that left had baby hook sounds sweet.

Another way to look at it is to also see that we will miss Austin's outside shooting. He's been a good 3 pt shooter, so we will also need to to make up for that defacit. I think we may need Gibbs as well to step up and shoot those 3's. And then there's Arop who appears to be a great scorer. Austin's departure could open the door for Arop to play more. The Zags may be in a position they found themselves in with Pendo. Penod was never slated to be a 4, and yet that's what he had to learn to play at 6'5". That could happen again for a guy like Bol or even Arop. I wonder if there is a David Pendograft in this mix?

bballbeachbum
04-20-2009, 03:22 PM
sounds like a commitee thing, I like that. should be mighty competitive with all the young guns going all out for a wide open spot, believing they have a true shot at it, laying out with all improving for it, "if".......

another slant on this is Sacre, who has the personality, the attitude it seems, and the willingness to lead the freshmen into games, early in the season when it's all uncertain, especially for freshmen usually, and do his leading in the paint.

Robert setting a tone in the paint would help others in the paint, would help everybody on the floor... for that matter, all of the upperclassmen will have that much more responsibility and slack to trim, examples to set...with only 2 seniors, too.

Opportunities to step up all through the roster will truly abound "if"...quite the ripple effect it would have imo.

With that said, I'm going with Matt and Steve. They'd really have to dominate offensively imo to land the 50 pound steelhead and get that FF grin going on Coach Few...that was an awesome pic ZN!

Austin is ready to explode "if" he's here next year, so without him, the explosion would have to be more intensified in others with the ability to do so, to trim that slack :)

I believe in these freshmen, I do! but I've never seen them!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

MickMick
04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Bol Kong will step up to the plate. I'm hoping he hits one out of the park.

BobZag
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Austin knows he isnt ready for the NBA yet. He knows he's being drafted on potential. He knows he's going to need to work on some things....

But why not do all of that in the NBA on someone's bench, while making millions?

All of the things we want him to work on, he can just as easily work on in the NBA...

Exactly, plus in these uncertain economic times I think it's a good idea to, in the words of Steve Miller, go on take the money and run.

skan72
04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Obviously I am not in the NBA haha, if I was I might not be posting on a message board.

But from what I've read and heard, it is a lot harder to work on your game during the season in the NBA with such a rigorous and lengthy schedule. And teams aren't willing to show as much patience with you to see if you'll work out or not.

That being said, there is always an offseason. And if teams aren't patient with you, that can be more of a mental/emotional problem then physical or skill wise.

If he goes, he goes, if he doesn't, well you can fill that one in. Good luck to the young man either way.

Nevtelen
04-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Austin knows he isnt ready for the NBA yet. He knows he's being drafted on potential. He knows he's going to need to work on some things....

But why not do all of that in the NBA on someone's bench, while making millions?

All of the things we want him to work on, he can just as easily work on in the NBA...

I'm not totally sure that's true. The strength issues, yes, he can work on that just as easily or more easily in the NBA, no question. But I just don't think players improve as much in practice or a few sparing mpg like they do if they are playing 30ish + mpg and are a featured player.

Still, with this draft being very weak, especially considering all the high draft picks that are apparently waiting it out until next year, it might simply make good economic/career sense for Austin to go. Next year's draft will be much more loaded with serious talent and Austin might not get as good of a draft spot, even if he improves significantly.

whatazag
04-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Everyone talks about how next year the draft is loaded. There is always the option of staying 4 years.

CDC84
04-20-2009, 11:12 PM
I keep going back to the 11-12 million dollar difference between what Brandon Rush will earn over 3 years as being the last pick in the lottery, and what his ex-teammate Darrell Arthur will earn over 3 years as the 27th pick in 1st round of draft. The difference in salary, and especially endorsements, is enormous between a lottery and non-lottery first rounder. Businesses are just not handing out 6 figure endorsement money to non-lottery guys due to the economic times we're in.

I know just about everyone on this board would love to make $970,000 per year, but once you deduct taxes and tax attorney fees, once you deduct your agent's cut, once you buy a somewhat modest home, once you buy a decent car, once you deduct the money needed to take care of members of your family who are in need, etc., that $970,000 starts going down significantly. All of sudden "making millions" isn't "making millions."

Austin, unless he somehow works his way into the lottery in this draft (not likely to occur, but who knows), is not going to make significant money in the NBA unless he develops and performs well enough in his first three years to get that second contract like Ronny did. The odds are that he will probably get that second contract. But I, like many others, love his chances of getting into the 2010 or 2011 lottery as much as his chances of landing a lucrative second contract. If he goes lottery, then he can land huge money right off the bat.

That's the decision he faces. I don't think the decision is as easy as some may think. He has this rare combination of enormous upside, but enough current weaknesses to keep him out of the lottery. I know the NBA drafts on potential, but we've seen more than a few quotes this year from scouts who seem to think it may take longer for him to develop than with other players who you normally see being drafted based on potential.

DixieZag
04-21-2009, 05:28 AM
This just shows how little I know, but I would really appreciate a response. We all know that AD has not hired an agent, but if he "stays in" w/o an agent and is drafted in a disappointing position, say early second round, is he still eligible to say "no" to the team that drafted him and come back to GU?

Shanachie
04-21-2009, 06:40 AM
This just shows how little I know, but I would really appreciate a response. We all know that AD has not hired an agent, but if he "stays in" w/o an agent and is drafted in a disappointing position, say early second round, is he still eligible to say "no" to the team that drafted him and come back to GU?

No. Unlike in baseball, players have to remove their names from the draft before draft day to be eligible to return to college.

bballbeachbum
04-21-2009, 08:07 AM
there's also some fear driving things here imo, for good reason: fear of missing out if he doesn't strike now while the iron is hot, which is always a possibility. There's so many variables...he could develop like CDC believes, and me too btw, or not, and for who knows why. He hurt his knee last off season, for example.

also, being drafted later in the 1st round means he'd be on a better team obviously, so maybe there's more chance for more time and patience to allow him to develop, since it's basically agreed that he's not NBA ready but has the potential to be some day.

I don't buy it. Players need to play to improve, need to take on responsibilities and handle them to earn self-confidence and grow...or their development takes that much longer. Back to Austin's knee, he couldn't play, so couldn't develop confidence, and I would argue that showed in his game...see his FTs for example; shooting FTs is a confidence game. You have to play.

Anyway, I'd take the money and NBA if I could, no doubt, all of the above notwithstanding. But I don't know what the best decision truly is.

I agree with CDC that it's not an easy one.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!