PDA

View Full Version : Who came in Brock's place

23dpg
04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
After Brock changed his mind about playing B-ball for Gonzaga (opting instead for football at Arizona State), who benefitted with the open spot on the roster? Was it Dower or one of the Canadians?

Also, as much as it looked like a huge loss at the time, did this move actually help the Zags? I personally hope it works out well for GU and Osweiler.

Angelo Roncalli
04-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Well...I'm not sure saying someone came in Osweiler's place is accurate, because he had never signed a letter of intent. He decided in 5/08 to play football at ASU--he couldn't have signed his basketball LOI until 11/08.

BobZag
04-14-2009, 02:04 PM
It'll be fine for both.

Zags get Sam Dower and Elias Harris.

Brock plays QB in the Pac-10.

It's a win-win deal.

cggonzaga
04-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Nothing against Brock (who in all liklihood will start as a freshman at ASU) but I'd say we got the better part of this deal. Dower seems to be a superior basketball player and Harris could possibly be one of the steals of this class.

marczagfan
04-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Grew up and graduated from Flathead (Brock's High School) still have family there and I have seen him play both football and basketball. Brock was an outstanding athlete in both sports, but he is much better at Football and has a better shot at being a star in college as well as playing pro in football rather than basketball. He would have been challenged at gonzaga, he's 6'7 but played primarily post (although he can shoot outside) in high school. A 6'7 post would not get it done for the zags, I'm sure he would have transitioned well, but I think the Zags with their incoming class and Brock playing QB in the Pac 10 both had the right things happen.

snebzag
04-14-2009, 07:56 PM
As an Inland-Empire guy, I would say we got the way better deal in Basketball. As far as four years against the Cougs Football team I would rather see Jack Elway. Good luck to Brock. I will follow his career no matter how many TD passes he throws against the Cougs. Might make a good Seahawk someday.

Hogan
04-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Having watched Brock play twice at the warehouse I would have to say we lost a good one.It is sure possible that his pro prospects are better in football,but it is way too early to say.As far as basketball is concerned,he is just the type of player we have been hankering for-an athletic,inside presence.

Nevtelen
04-14-2009, 09:00 PM
I have no idea of Brock's skill level as a bball player, but he did sound fairly similar in terms of his game to Harris. I wouldn't be surprised if Harris is Brock's 'replacement' - an athletic, physical PF. I really only know what I've read about these two players, but if we had gotten Brock, I would have to wonder whether the staff would have pursued Harris.

gu03alum
05-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Brock has a little less competition:

Elway Leaves (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4168490)