PDA

View Full Version : OT: News around the Country

BobZag
04-14-2009, 08:07 AM
A big picture of Mark Few and a monstrous 50 pound king salmon on the front of the sports section today.

Former Detroit Piston great, and Knicks flop of a GM, Isiah Thomas is the new coach at Florida International.

Portland State promoted from within to fill Ken Bone's spot.

Kansas will make a run at a NC with 1st-rounders Aldrich and Collins returning.

Syracuse loses some serious punch as PG Flynn is set to sign with an agent.

Greg Paulus of Duke is working out for the Green Bay Packers; he was a star QB in high school.

Arizona could salvage a decent season with their recruiting of a big foreign kid (forgot his name), getting Solomon Hill from USC and now ready to risk taking Victor Rudd.

My Jedi senses tell me Joe Harris will be a Zag sometime in or slightly after July. But impossible to see, the future is. The dark side clouds everything.

CDC84
04-14-2009, 08:24 AM
I am very surprised that Aldrich is coming back. He was a lottery pick in this year's draft.

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2009, 08:35 AM
A big picture of Mark Few and a monstrous 50 pound king salmon on the front of the sports section today.

Former Detroit Piston great, and Knicks flop of a GM, Isiah Thomas is the new coach at Florida International.

Portland State promoted from within to fill Ken Bone's spot.

Kansas will make a run at a NC with 1st-rounders Aldrich and Collins returning.

Syracuse loses some serious punch as PG Flynn is set to sign with an agent.

Greg Paulus of Duke is working out for the Green Bay Packers; he was a star QB in high school.

Arizona could salvage a decent season with their recruiting of a big foreign kid (forgot his name), getting Solomon Hill from USC and now ready to risk taking Victor Rudd.

My Jedi senses tell me Joe Harris will be a Zag sometime in or slightly after July. But impossible to see, the future is. The dark side clouds everything.

Don't forget his failings as a head coach as well... and lets not also forget his brilliant failings with the CBA, which he bought for $5 million, was offered $11 million by the NBA to make it the official minor league of the NBA, and then he ran it into the ground harder than a meteor hitting the earth at 100,000 MPH. No... killing my Knicks as general manager was the least of his failings.

But, I ain't bitter.

ZagNative
04-14-2009, 08:43 AM
My Jedi senses tell me Joe Harris will be a Zag sometime in or slightly after July. But impossible to see, the future is. The dark side clouds everything.:D

Whoopie! Loved your roundup, BZ!

Link to the story about Coach Few's monstrous fish is here (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/apr/14/hooked-at-an-early-age/).

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Mark%20Few/2009-04-14MarkFewbigfish.jpg

Gonzaga men’s basketball coach Mark Few beams over a 50-pound Alaska king salmon he landed with the help of fly fishing guide Joe Roope Jr., who’s soaking wet after belly-flopping on the lunker to keep it from breaking off in a log jam. “Few’s a competitor on the river, too,” Roope recalled. “We all wanted that fish.”

The story is mostly about the guy in the photo with Coach Few, Joe Roope Jr., a fly fishing guide. I liked this:

“Funny how it goes. My wife Suzy and I have a 2-year-old son. Mark Few told me for years that as good as I had it as a guide, I shouldn’t miss out on being a dad.As Fewie is fond of saying, quoting his dad, in explaining why he sticks with the Zags, "You can't mess with happy."

kyle dixon
04-14-2009, 08:44 AM
All of Thomas' failings can be attributed to his exclusion off the original Dream team. It is all Jordan's fault......:)

bullzag23
04-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Don't forget his failings as a head coach as well... and lets not also forget his brilliant failings with the CBA, which he bought for $5 million, was offered $11 million by the NBA to make it the official minor league of the NBA, and the he ran it into the ground harder than a meteor hitting the earth at 100,000 MPH. No... killing my Knicks as general manager was the least of his failings.

But, I ain't bitter.

Is it possible for him to run an already struggling program even further into the ground? My sources say yes :D I really hope FIU's AD is prepared for the Thomas Train

Das Zagger
04-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Don't forget his failings as a head coach as well... and lets not also forget his brilliant failings with the CBA, which he bought for $5 million, was offered $11 million by the NBA to make it the official minor league of the NBA, and then he ran it into the ground harder than a meteor hitting the earth at 100,000 MPH. No... killing my Knicks as general manager was the least of his failings.

But, I ain't bitter.

Don't forget the civil suit brought against him, and the team, by a former female employee. The Knicks under his watch were a fricking circus.

Gonzdb8
04-14-2009, 09:19 AM

FIU is toast. Stick a fork in em. I predict they will go the way of SMU football.

Isiah will leave FIU under a cloud of disgrace related to:

A) Suspected embezzlement and misappropriation of University funds

B) NCAA violations including cash payments to potential recruits

C) NCAA violations including cash payments to prostitutes for potential recruits

D) Sexual harassment allegations against Isiah made by media staff, cheerleaders, women's basketball players, or any combination thereof

E) All of the above

needless to say i don't have a very high opinion of isiah as a coach or as a person. i'll admit however that he was a great PG.

cjm720
04-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Joe Harris could be special.

MDABE80
04-14-2009, 09:23 AM
I like Bob's new feature......

Zagdawg
04-14-2009, 09:29 AM
I agree Abe.

Would this be a weekly roundup?
:)

Final4Zag
04-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Would Joe Harris be 2010 or 2011?

kitzbuel
04-14-2009, 10:05 AM

This is a pretty good source: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=20140

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-14-2009, 10:13 AM

Is there any video of Joe available on the web?? I've been looking for weeks, maybe months, and I haven't found a thing.

roxdoc
04-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Great picture of Few and fish. He can really smile! Never seen that look in BB - but maybe it is a FF smile.

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2009, 10:29 AM
... The Knicks under his watch were a fricking circus.

Really??? I hadn't noticed... being a Knicks fan and all. :p

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Great picture of Few and fish. He can really smile! Never seen that look in BB - but maybe it is a FF smile.

Anyone have a link to the pic?

Doh... nevermind... saw pic earlier in thread. Move along... nothing to see here.

jpwils
04-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Its amazing that some people are shocked over Paulus being asked to work out for the Pack. Paulus is the type of guy I would want on my team.
He is very smart and like having another coach on the floor.
Maybe he is just checking out options...

Why is it that someone who is a starting point guard for 3 years at Duke and demonstrates a very positive attitude when demoted wouldn't at least be looked at as a very strong candidate for either defensive back or back up quarterback since he was All world in high school?? He seems to be the epitome of the perfect "team player".

Green Bay gave him a TRY-OUT, not a job ( yet).

But mark my words, somebody WILL give him a chance-possibly not as a pro football player, but as a COACH... in hoops!

Paulus in my view has a strong WoJo-like future as an assistant college coach in basketball and will probably end up being an outstanding head coach someday in the not-too-distant future.

He will not need many years to be promoted .

His career as a player , while not maybe as brilliant as some- was better than
Bobby Knight's and at least as good as Coach K if not at a much better program. Whenever he DID play , we always saw him diving on the floor
and encouraging teammates!! ( marks of a future great program-builder)
His " fire in the belly" serves as an excellent example to today's youth!

ZagNative
04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Great picture of Few and fish. He can really smile! Never seen that look in BB - but maybe it is a FF smile.My favorite smiley Mark Few photo, March 18, 2000:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Mark%20Few/2000-03-18-MarkFew-StJohns.jpg

P.S. I http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/Emoticon_a-heart.gif Joe Harris, but I think I've learned my lesson about getting my heart set on any recruit, though admitting to secretly frequently googling my last big heartthrob, which fetched up this tidbit today, from the Commodores website (http://vucommodores.cstv.com/genrel/041309aab.html):
Jeff Taylor was the Male Newcomer of the Year. He enjoyed an impressive freshman campaign for the Commodores, and was the fifth highest scoring newecomer in the league at 12.0 points per game. He had three double-doubles on the season and started in every game this year. Taylor also had 6.2 rebounds per game. He was also named to the SEC All-Freshman Men’s Basketball Team.Taylor and Tinsley both got a lot of minutes this year, which I'd be willing to bet contributed to his choice of Vanderbilt over Gonzaga, as their roster was pretty depleted. Trade off: Jeff did well, but he watched the post-season from his couch.

BobZag
04-14-2009, 05:58 PM
No offer to Bright during visit.

Birddog
04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
.... Why wouldnt I be shocked to hear that? he didnt play football in college, and now he's getting an opportunity to make an NFL squad. Thats pretty damn surprising. Its not like all pack up PG's in college basketball get an NFL Try out gig.
Daye Daye, you get picked on a lot, and a lot of it is justified, but you're right about the above!

jpwils
04-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Gosh, bro -you seem to miss my point.

Paulus is attractive to a pro team because not only is he one of the FEW high school QB's who TURNED DOWN NOTRE DAME, he also chose wisely when
Duke's coach, whom he still admires, chose to demote him. He HANDLED ADVERSITY and CHOSE to be coachable in his moment of testing...
something that is missing today in most ME FIRST ...WHAT ABOUT ME,Coach?
AVERAGE mentality-college guard( see James Rahon at Santa Clara for reference).
Lots of guys who played college football aren't as TEACHABLE as Mr. Paulus!

Again, he is getting a chance( not a job) to pursue other options because he displayed exemplary coachability and CHARACTER-two things that employers always look for.

Whether he actually gets a job with the Packers is almost irrelevant-Paulus is sending a message to the 100 or so starting guards who may get recruited over in the next freshman class- the grass isn't always greener in choosing
to transfer.

I guarantee you right now that several schools are considering hiring Paulus next year as a grad assistant or assistant coach just so some of his
CHARACTER rubs off on their selfish players!

DrDrivel
04-14-2009, 07:16 PM
You'd probably be surprised IF you weren't already aware that he was the number one high school football recruit his senior year and was offered the Notre Dame starting gig, choosing between that and starting PG at Duke. Tough decisions...

cjm720
04-15-2009, 06:38 AM
U. of Michigan is apparently in the mix too (Paulus has one year of eligibility apparently - ?!).

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9457458/Sources:-Paulus-may-play-football-at-Michigan

lothar98zag
04-15-2009, 08:22 AM
U. of Michigan is apparently in the mix too (Paulus has one year of eligibility apparently - ?!).

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9457458/Sources:-Paulus-may-play-football-at-Michigan
:confused: huh? really?

skan72
04-15-2009, 10:25 AM
You'd probably be surprised IF you weren't already aware that he was the number one high school football recruit his senior year and was offered the Notre Dame starting gig, choosing between that and starting PG at Duke. Tough decisions...

While he was the Gatorade National Player of the Year Scout has him as the #9 overall quarterback and rivals doesn't have anything on him, could be because he chose basketball??:

Rivals.com (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=12332)

Scout.com (http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1200916)

skan72
04-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Not only is Isiah Thomas coaching at Florida International, but he is doing it for free! (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/04/15/isiah.thomas.ap/index.html?eref=T1)