PDA

View Full Version : Debate: Local vs Best

BobZag
04-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Okay, who do you take, the good in-state PG or the better PG from out-of-state (let's say California)? Gonzaga wants local or in-state players, yes, but at what cost?

kitzbuel
04-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Bob, GU is not a Washington State school. It is a regional school. I think that makes the definition of local different than that for WSU or UW. Your example of CA may well extend outside the range of what can be considered local and can be discussed in the same vein of your question.

However, I do think that GU genuinely considers Idaho, Montana, Oregon and BC as part of its student population base as much as Washington. GU should be able to recruit that region with as much confidence and expectation of success as UW does the the state.

BoZarth
04-13-2009, 10:48 AM
If he's from out of state then so be it.

We're trying to win games against North Carolina here.

Go Zags!!!!

23dpg
04-13-2009, 10:49 AM
At no cost. If the 2 players are rated incredibly even (talent and character), you take the local guy. Otherwise you should take the better player.

Was Turiaf less of a true Zag than Morrison? I don't think so.

cggonzaga
04-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Get the best. Local players are nice but God knows we can't get the nationally recruited local players.

UberZagFan
04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
The Best. And the Brightest.

CDC84
04-13-2009, 10:58 AM
If I were Gonzaga, I would go after the in state player so long as he wasn't too far behind the out of state player in terms of talent, physical development, etc. If the out of state player is much better than the in state player, I would then assess my chances of landing the out of state player. If there's a good chance of getting the out of stater, I pursue him over the in state kid.

If Gonzaga ever develops into a program that can legitimately land elite in state talents like Marvin Williams and Abdul Gaddy, my recruiting philosophy would change some. But for right now, I would pursue the best players...even if it means going out of state.

duper
04-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I have always felt teams need to protect thier backyard. This is not as important now IMO because of the big AAU tourneys bringing the talent together. I think you recruit the best player giving consideration to the local kid if all else is basically equal. This will keep you in good favor with the local coaches and players which in turn could help win a recruiting war. Maybe we get a player form say Ferris high in the future because of Mallon. I trust the coaches to make the right evaluations, often kids in Washington espesially Eastern Washington are underrated. Mallon, Morrison and Josh were all great Zags and not ranked overly high. Another example is Casto from WSU, 2 stars and makes PAC 10 all freshmen team. There is talk that UCLA is intrested in Joe Harris. I don't know about you but it would bother me to see him playing in a FF for UCLA when he was in our backyard.

CDC84
04-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Mallon was actually pursued by several high major schools and was very close to being a top 100 kid with most recruiting services. Heytvelt was a top 50 kid with scout.com. More importantly, JH was wanted by just about every huge program that exists. Pendo: universal top 100 kid. As for Adam Morrison.......clearly under the radar...big time.

The middle or eastern half of the state just has not produced a prospect that Gonzaga has really liked since Heytvelt and Pendo in 2004, so they've rightfully looked elsewhere. Needless to say, that dry spell could change with Joe Harris emerging as a prospect. You just can't take kids because they are local....they have to be good enough, and they have to be a proper fit for your system.

spudzag
04-13-2009, 11:43 AM
So let's look at Bob's question, "who do you take", from the other direction. Do you turn down the out of state player to take local talent of lesser quality?

I sure hope not and that doesn't apprear to be the direction staff is taking either.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Take the best. If that happens to be NW kids, awesome. If that doesn't include NW kids, oh well.

bballbeachbum
04-13-2009, 01:16 PM
have to go w/ talent, local if available, but talent...sounding like Joe Harris is a possible statement recruit in that pursuit?

a blend is nice too, but as said already, is the kid a good fit? that's the important thing, wherever he comes from

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

OZZag
04-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Bob, GU is not a Washington State school. It is a regional school. I think that makes the definition of local different than that for WSU or UW. Your example of CA may well extend outside the range of what can be considered local and can be discussed in the same vein of your question.

However, I do think that GU genuinely considers Idaho, Montana, Oregon and BC as part of its student population base as much as Washington. GU should be able to recruit that region with as much confidence and expectation of success as UW does the the state.

Agree, GU has to be able to recruit not just from Eastern Washington, but the area Kitzbuel nominates (+ Alberta and Saskatchewan). Another poster mentioned we are playing top BCS schools who recruit nationally and would not think twice of taking a player from under the Zags noses.

That said, it is a combination of talent, character and desire to play for the Zags that should win out over talent alone!

SWZag
04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Local. I love seeing these recruits that show interest from all over the nation, but I'm afraid of what this could lead to. Look at all the talent that has left the Puget Sound in recent history. I think this could be because, looking at WSU's roster, you only see one-two players from the state, even the NW. When you don't recruit local, you soon lose the gems that come thru. Plus, mostly local kids are what GU was made out of.

I just hope that when out-of-state recruits are recruited, personality and character are tops on the list. GU has done well in this category, and I just hope it continues; Meech, Pargo, Ira!, Skinner, etc. It's the guys like Q that could easily be missed (Yakima CC).

I consider, like others, our backyard to be WA, OR, ID, MT and BC.

SWZag

bigblahla
04-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Look at the recruits coming in this year. You go with the best you can get that want to be a Zag.

Go!! Zags!!!

MDABE80
04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
We might even be beyond this choice. Outside kids want to be at GU now. I'd take the best talent or the most likely to be really good with some time. Unless some huge political force intervenes, go for the best.

The part that's so difficult is to predict who will develop vs some kid who is a worldbeater when he shows up. We get few of those but its always a consideration. I wonder what we might have done when John Stockton wanted to come. Good kid, local but nobody thought he would bloom like he did. The program wasn't aiming so high then and we were far from where we are now........what to do, what to do.....I dunno. The talent evaluators are in business because of things like this thread.

Reborn
04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
If we're building an elite program, and we are, we need to go after the best we can get. We they live is not an issue. Zags staff has been recruiting this way for some time now. I am so glad we got Meech. We may not have made it to the Sweet 16 again without this Texan. If an in-state kid and an out-of-state are equal and both want to go to GU, I'd take the in-state kid, like Gray, Josh, and Downs every time. It was so nice to see 3 of the top six players on this year's team from the State of Washington and this team finished a ahead of both UW and WSU. I am proud to be a Bulldog/Zag.

azzagfan
04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Get the best. Local players are nice but God knows we can't get the nationally recruited local players.

Amen. List of Washington/Oregon Burger Boys

Tony Wroten (?)

Josh Smith (?)

Peyton Siva (Louisville)
Abdul Gaddy (UW)
Avery Bradley (Texas)

Kevin Love (UCLA)
Kyle Singler (Duke)

Spencer Hawes (UW)

Jon Brockman (UW)
Micah Downs (Kansas initially)
Martell Webster (committed to UW, but went pro)

Marvin Williams (UNC)

Aaron Miles (Kansas)

Luke Ridnour (Oregon)

Mike Dunleavy, Jr. (Duke)

229SintoZag
04-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Not only is it unwise to prefer lesser local talents to better talents from afar, but I would argue it is unethical to do so.

Nothing can justify it. We aren't in the business of pattycakes or kum-by-ah here. The kid with the most skill, talent, ability and personality traits that best suit him to be a Gonzaga basketball player gets the nod. If that kid happens to be local (like Ammo, Josh, Pendo) all the better. But we've seen that guys like Pargo, Ronny, even guys like Anthony Reason and Quentin Hall can be significant successes.

The only reason to ever 'stay local' is if you don't have the resources to cast a wider net. We do now have those resources.

Just my $.02.

ZagNut08
04-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Best available, same goes for students applying to get into the university

4AmericasTeam
04-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Just take non prima donnas who can be "Zags." Who cares where they are from

LongIslandZagFan
04-13-2009, 07:07 PM
It is not where you are from, but rather what you do once you get to GU. But if ALL is equal... stay local.

NotoriousZ
04-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Can't add much to this discussion, as I agree with those who want the most talented kids, regardless of where they live, as long as they've got good character to go with the talent.

I see plenty of talent coming in...but we need some true centers to go with the awesome guards and forwards of the future! (To back up Sacre and replace him in about 2 years)

Zag79
04-14-2009, 12:50 AM
silly discussion period. if you want to win, take the best you can get. dont compromise character BUT theres plenty of amazing hoopsters we can get that arent from here. it shouldnt matter where they are from in this business, and thats what it is. besides, there is tons of nba talent from washington that we dont get as seattle priducers awesome players. we need to get them too! to beat the best you need the best.