• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

From Katz regarding Gonzaga/Memphis series

Gonzaga coach Mark Few said he would talk to new Memphis coach Josh Pastner about continuing their series that was predicated more on Few and Calipari.
  • Nevtelen
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Obviously this is a different coach, so who knows, but it makes complete sense to continue the series. As has been observed many times, the game greatly benefits both squads. That fact has nothing to do with Calipari and Few. I'm optimistic the series will continue, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Shows how important friendship and politics are to the new college game. Few's done what others didn't.........it's new way of life I guess. I'm glad we have Few, Ray, Leon, Tommy..those guys work so hard and are just amazing people.

We've had a few bumps but in the past decade or more, the NCAA hasn't even sniffed trouble at GU. Blame the coaches for watching over a bunch of good kids that were recruited. Few set up this series with Coach Cal because it was mutually good. If what Katz says is true, I see no reason why the same thing wouldn't happen with Kentucky. Few and Cal like and respect each other. It's a good basis for relationships in life and in the college ranks.

Comment

• zagar
        Bulldog Fan
        • Feb 2007

Maybe this is just my perception and not reality, but I would think GU is more in the driver's seat on this one. If so, it should be home and home, not home and Arena. Second, we should try to push the series to a November-type game and try to fill the February spot with another high-major or Xavier-type series.

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Maybe this is just my perception and not reality, but I would think GU is more in the driver's seat on this one. If so, it should be home and home, not home and Arena. Second, we should try to push the series to a November-type game and try to fill the February spot with another high-major or Xavier-type series.
          You make some excellent points.

Xavier lost their coach as well, but the one thing you can say about Xavier is that they survive coaching changes. From Pete Gillen to Skip Prosser to Thad Matta to Sean Miller.....the beat just goes on. It really shows you how much they care about basketball and how competent their AD's have been when it comes to hiring quality people.

Comment

• tobizag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagar View Post
            i agree 100%. get that series into the kennel! hopefully we can make it happen. i think the new coach would be unwise to play hardball like calipari
            sigpic

GU Class of '07

Comment

• Nevtelen
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagar View Post
              It'd be nice to have it in K2, but I'm not so sure it should be changed from a Jan/Feb series to Nov or Dec. A lot of the reasons for having that game have to do with both schools' league schedules. 99% of high majors won't step out of their confernece sked to play another difficult team because they have all the challenge they want right there. Also, GU can get all the games vs great competition it wants, generally, during Nov and Dec. Conference play is another story.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Memphis is still going to be the class of C-USA. They have too much money and tradition, and Pastner will bring in high major players. Now how they get coached is a different question. I have no idea how Pastner is going to work out as a head coach at Memphis. He could be Jeff Capel Part II, or a total disaster.

I would rather play Memphis in February as opposed to nobody.

Comment

Working...
                X