PDA

View Full Version : Three Zag recruits at Boo Williams Tourney

BobZag
04-11-2009, 08:47 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/855561.html

Alex Kirk, C, Houston Hoops: He averaged 28 and 17 this year but didn’t get to look anyone in the eye. That changes as he steps up in competition this spring. Legit 6-feet-10 and armed with good hands. He’s a hustler with enough post shake to get by. He’ll have to improve his conditioning but as a true center he’s got high-major capabilities. Throws super outlet passes and seems to have a desire to improve.

Nick Johnson, PG, Oakland Soldiers: His 15 points in the first half were enough to sink the Gauchos into a hole they couldn’t climb out of. The nephew of former Celtic Dennis Johnson, Nick’s got a sweet 3-point stroke, quick trigger and is much improved from last season. The hoops IQ was on display when he made a serious baseline cut and shook loose for a backdoor dunk. Impressive stuff and 21 points for the game. Thought he might be a shooting guard last year but he’s heading in the point guard direction.

Kyle Wiltjer, PF, Oakland Soldiers: What’s not too like? He’s big, has a stroke and his post offense is better than a year ago. There’s a crafty element to his game and he dumped 23 points in his opener. He’s high-major material and a Pac-10 priority for sure.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=934476

Kyle Wiltjer- Looking every bit of 6-foot-8, Wiltjer has a smooth shooting stroke and a Ryan Kelly type feel for scoring the ball. Right now lack of strength is an issue, but he has the frame that can put on some mass, and he knows how to utilize his strength. The Pac-10 will be all over this prospect.

Nick Johnson- A good athlete with a high level shooting stroke, Johnson was impressive scoring the ball against the New York Gauchos. Projects as a high level shooting guard, Johnson ran the point for the Oakland Soldiers.

School Lists

Josh Smith- The big fellow said he is truly wide open and that he doesn't have a leader or even a top three. The reported school list of Washington, UCLA and Louisville is the list of the schools who were recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Smith rattled off Duke, North Carolina, Gonzaga, Texas and Ohio State as other schools of interest. He also said he is willing to play anywhere and is not a lean to stay on the west coast.

ZagNative
04-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Here are a couple more, from a report on Scarlet Nation (http://rutgers.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=934476), a Rivals site:

John McArthur- The Oakland Soldier's big man might be a low to mid level athlete, but everything else about his game is high major. He has a great mind for the game, is highly skilled, and knows how to gain leverage with his physical strength.

The report's eval of Josh Smith:
HAMPTON, Va.- The travel circuit kicked into gear Friday night with impressive showings from three elite prospects in the 2010 class, including a 34-point performance by Josh Smith.

Josh Smith- Athlete's First doesn't have the imposing frontline it has enjoyed the past few years, and Smith took advantage. Dominating at the rim for countless dunks, Smith also spent a lot of time at the free throw line. He had bursts of explosiveness, but his conditioning isn't where we were hoping it would be. In fact, it appeared on Friday that he might have regressed in that area compared to where he was at last July.

BobZag
04-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm very pleasantly surprised that Smith includes Gonzaga on his list. He would be a surefire difference-maker here. Few does well when he has a talented anchor in the paint. Imagine Rob Sacre and Josh Smith inside for a couple years. Rotate Dower and Poling with them. Wow. It would really free up Elias and Olynyk to play the wing.

MississppiZag
04-11-2009, 11:11 AM
I am really hoping for a class of Kingma, Wiltjer, and maybe Nick Johnson in 2011. Kyle Wiltjer reminds me of a mix between Micah Downs and Ryan Kelly. Athletic, finishes at the rim, and can shoot from 3.

Who is the kid that always comes to games with Gonzaga gear on? And, who is the player that has said Gonzaga is his favorite school?

I can't remember which one is Wiltjer and which one is Kingma. Or maybe Kevin Panzer.:confused:

wazZag
04-11-2009, 11:16 AM
I think you are mixing Joe Harris in there.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I was also pleasantly surprised to see the Zags are still on Josh Smith's list. It's certainly fun to daydream about what the team would be like with Josh on the front line.

GU and Kyle Wiltjer seem like a great fit.

CDC84
04-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I have to admit....50% of the reason why I would love for Josh Smith to commit to Gonzaga would be to see what kind of reaction it would generate in the recruiting world and at the various recruiting web sites.

Angelo Roncalli
04-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I have to admit....50% of the reason why I would love for Josh Smith to commit to Gonzaga would be to see what kind of reaction it would generate in the recruiting world and at the various recruiting web sites.

It would send 1000's of Husky basketball fans into apoplexy. Sounds like a good idea to me.

CDC84
04-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Gonzaga has been scouting Kyle Wiltjer for some time now. It's good to hear that he's just continuing to get better and better........

skan72
04-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Gonzaga has been scouting Kyle Wiltjer for some time now. It's good to hear that he's just continuing to get better and better........

Not to mention he is Canadian.

BobZag
04-11-2009, 03:05 PM
I am really hoping for a class of Kingma, Wiltjer, and maybe Nick Johnson in 2011. Kyle Wiltjer reminds me of a mix between Micah Downs and Ryan Kelly. Athletic, finishes at the rim, and can shoot from 3.

Who is the kid that always comes to games with Gonzaga gear on? And, who is the player that has said Gonzaga is his favorite school?

I can't remember which one is Wiltjer and which one is Kingma. Or maybe Kevin Panzer.:confused:

Gary Bell, Joe Hanstad and Kyle Wiltjer.
Nick Johnson, Joe Hanstad and Kyle Wiltjer.
et cetera

There are a lot of different ways for 2011 to play out, and they're all real good.

I think Joe Harris and Brett Kingma are who you refer to above.

saintzag
04-11-2009, 06:07 PM
GU should go all out for Smith . We need to show we can land a top one.

tyra
04-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Nick Johnson . . . "The nephew of former Celtic Dennis Johnson". Gosh, seems like he played a few years in a Sonic uniform as well. :)

skan72
04-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Smith would be nice to get, it depends if his personality meshes with the team and Gonzaga. But man is he a really nice player. I saw him at last summer's team camp and I hope we go to the same one as him this year as well. Big, soft hands, good footwork. He's a real gem. How is his attitude though? He was certainly overweight and lacking some hustle when I last saw him, a little under a year ago.

BobZag
04-12-2009, 08:54 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/855792.html

Nick Johnson, PG, Drew Gooden Soldiers Word got out about this 6-foot-1 lead guard yesterday, and in his morning game he was nothing short of stellar. His ball handling may need some tightening, but his approach, feel and vision are all top notch. Form on his jump shot looks good and hes a sneaky good athlete that finishes well once he gets to the rim.