• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Hopeful Comparisons for Zags to Strive For

Make comparisons to players who you hope various Zags can hopefully be similar to at some point in their careers, be it next season or beyond.

For instance--

I'd like to see Meech be similar to Ty Lawson in pushing the pace, driving to the hole and being a floor general, plus his sticky defense. While Meech is clutch and has a mid-range game, I think it'd be unfair to expect him to be the 3-point shooter that Lawson is.

Bouldin...?
    Gray...?
    Daye...?
    Sacre...?
    Poling...?
    Gibbs...?
    Dower, I hope and do think he can be very similar to Purdue's Jujuan Johnson.
    Elias Harris, former Texas Longhorn PJ Tucker?
    Kong...?
    Arop...?
    Olynyk...?

What player does each have a chance to be like, or do you hope can be like?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • doctorzag
    Banned
    • Feb 2009

Kelly O = Kyle Singler + 2 inches

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Ty Lawson was not a very good long range shooter when he first arrived at UNC. He made himself into a great shooter. He's yet another example of how you can improve in this area with enough coaching, discipline, and practice. But it took Lawson 3 years to reach his goal. Zag fans certainly can't expect Meech to get a jump shot overnight. It's going to take time.

Bol Kong....Luol Deng - another Sudanese product.

Comment

• cggonzaga
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Bouldin=Manu Ginobili. Get even more aggressive and use his intelligence to make up for his lack of great athleticism. Don't disappear in the big games.

Gray=Ray Allen. improve that jump shot and develop a scorer's mentality.

Daye=Kevin Durant. Start dominating and become the star he should be.

Sacre=Tyson Chandler. Get all the boards, block shots, be a tremendous defender. Score to keep defenses honest.

Kong=Rudy Gay. Be a great athlete with huge upside. score, defend, rebound

Arop=Dwayne Wade. lock down defender, great rebounder for a guard, develop offensive game

Harris=Erroll Knight. exactly the same but better scorer

Poling=Bill Lambier. be the enforcer. clean up the glass.

Comment

• BobZag
          Dark Lord of the Zag
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
          Ty Lawson was not a very good long range shooter when he first arrived at UNC. He made himself into a great shooter. He's yet another example of how you can improve in this area with enough coaching, discipline, and practice. But it took Lawson 3 years to reach his goal. Zag fans certainly can't expect Meech to get a jump shot overnight. It's going to take time.

Good point on Lawson, but isn't Deng like 6'10" or thereabouts?

cg, love the comparison for Bouldin and Olynyk. I was thinking Michael Dunleavy, too for Olynyk.

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Deng is 6-9, but he seems more like 6-8 to me. Still, Kong is definitely shorter.

Bouldin at times reminds me of Deron Williams, but there are probably better comparisons.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
              Bleeds Bulldog Blue
              • Feb 2007

I spit some of my diet coke on the keyboard when I read the Poling Lambier comparison.

I see Poling being more like Zach Gourde (with some more height). Andy is developing a nice collection of nifty inside moves. Sorry, I just don't see him being much of an enforcer like Laimbeer was.
              You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• xjzico
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2007

I hope Arop is combination of Quincy Pondexter and Bobby Jones, a harassing wing defender who can stick an occasional jumper and open set shot, crash the boards and get second chance/garbage baskets via his length and hustle.
                We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                  Bouldin=Manu Ginobili. Get even more aggressive and use his intelligence to make up for his lack of great athleticism. Don't disappear in the big games.

Sacre=Tyson Chandler. Get all the boards, block shots, be a tremendous defender. Score to keep defenses honest.

Arop=Dwayne Wade. lock down defender, great rebounder for a guard, develop offensive game

I think if we had a team with guys who play like Kevin Durant, Tyson Chandler, Rudy Gay, Dwayne Wade, Ginobli, and Ray Allen, we are a lock for the national title next year.

Comment

• lothar98zag
                    PostPadder General
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
                    I think if we had a team with guys who play like Kevin Durant, Tyson Chandler, Rudy Gay, Dwayne Wade, Ginobli, and Ray Allen, we are a lock for the national title next year.
                    works for me. where's the FF @ in 2010? need to make plane reservations now...
                    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• pbriz
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post

These are all very good. I think Daye could be more in the mold of Tayshawn Prince and Harris could develop into a Raymar Morgan type (hopefulyl without the attitude).
                      It's F4 or bust.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

hahahahahahahhahaha. Hey, these were just "hopeful comparisions to strive for".

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post

EXACTLY!!! Meech's future would be so enhanced if he shoots 700 long bombs daily. He needs to have the discipline to make the basket his friend from everywhere. It takes time but this is the glaring deficiency he has. Ball handling, dribble, etc will improve with experience. The FT's and the mid to long game will only be learned if he works on those two items. Take time but he'll generate his own future.

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by xjzico View Post
                            I hope Arop is combination of Quincy Pondexter and Bobby Jones, a harassing wing defender who can stick an occasional jumper and open set shot, crash the boards and get second chance/garbage baskets via his length and hustle.
                            Right on. This is one of the best in the thread thus far.

Comment

• BobZag
                              Dark Lord of the Zag
                              • Jan 2007

Having not seen Gibbs that much, here's hoping he can be a Bobby Frasor type or Blake Stepp. Jon Sheyer is another, but I don't know if Gibbs shoots it that well.

Comment

Working...
                              X