PDA

View Full Version : Hopeful Comparisons for Zags to Strive For

BobZag
04-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Make comparisons to players who you hope various Zags can hopefully be similar to at some point in their careers, be it next season or beyond.

For instance--

I'd like to see Meech be similar to Ty Lawson in pushing the pace, driving to the hole and being a floor general, plus his sticky defense. While Meech is clutch and has a mid-range game, I think it'd be unfair to expect him to be the 3-point shooter that Lawson is.

Bouldin...?
Gray...?
Daye...?
Sacre...?
Poling...?
Gibbs...?
Dower, I hope and do think he can be very similar to Purdue's Jujuan Johnson.
Elias Harris, former Texas Longhorn PJ Tucker?
Kong...?
Arop...?
Olynyk...?

What player does each have a chance to be like, or do you hope can be like?

doctorzag
04-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Kelly O = Kyle Singler + 2 inches

CDC84
04-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Ty Lawson was not a very good long range shooter when he first arrived at UNC. He made himself into a great shooter. He's yet another example of how you can improve in this area with enough coaching, discipline, and practice. But it took Lawson 3 years to reach his goal. Zag fans certainly can't expect Meech to get a jump shot overnight. It's going to take time.

Bol Kong....Luol Deng - another Sudanese product.

cggonzaga
04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Bouldin=Manu Ginobili. Get even more aggressive and use his intelligence to make up for his lack of great athleticism. Don't disappear in the big games.

Gray=Ray Allen. improve that jump shot and develop a scorer's mentality.

Daye=Kevin Durant. Start dominating and become the star he should be.

Sacre=Tyson Chandler. Get all the boards, block shots, be a tremendous defender. Score to keep defenses honest.

Kong=Rudy Gay. Be a great athlete with huge upside. score, defend, rebound

Arop=Dwayne Wade. lock down defender, great rebounder for a guard, develop offensive game

Harris=Erroll Knight. exactly the same but better scorer

Poling=Bill Lambier. be the enforcer. clean up the glass.

BobZag
04-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Ty Lawson was not a very good long range shooter when he first arrived at UNC. He made himself into a great shooter. He's yet another example of how you can improve in this area with enough coaching, discipline, and practice. But it took Lawson 3 years to reach his goal. Zag fans certainly can't expect Meech to get a jump shot overnight. It's going to take time.

Good point on Lawson, but isn't Deng like 6'10" or thereabouts?

cg, love the comparison for Bouldin and Olynyk. I was thinking Michael Dunleavy, too for Olynyk.

CDC84
04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Deng is 6-9, but he seems more like 6-8 to me. Still, Kong is definitely shorter.

Bouldin at times reminds me of Deron Williams, but there are probably better comparisons.

Angelo Roncalli
04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I spit some of my diet coke on the keyboard when I read the Poling Lambier comparison.

I see Poling being more like Zach Gourde (with some more height). Andy is developing a nice collection of nifty inside moves. Sorry, I just don't see him being much of an enforcer like Laimbeer was.

xjzico
04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
I hope Arop is combination of Quincy Pondexter and Bobby Jones, a harassing wing defender who can stick an occasional jumper and open set shot, crash the boards and get second chance/garbage baskets via his length and hustle.

229SintoZag
04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Bouldin=Manu Ginobili. Get even more aggressive and use his intelligence to make up for his lack of great athleticism. Don't disappear in the big games.

Sacre=Tyson Chandler. Get all the boards, block shots, be a tremendous defender. Score to keep defenses honest.

Arop=Dwayne Wade. lock down defender, great rebounder for a guard, develop offensive game

I think if we had a team with guys who play like Kevin Durant, Tyson Chandler, Rudy Gay, Dwayne Wade, Ginobli, and Ray Allen, we are a lock for the national title next year.

lothar98zag
04-09-2009, 12:01 PM
I think if we had a team with guys who play like Kevin Durant, Tyson Chandler, Rudy Gay, Dwayne Wade, Ginobli, and Ray Allen, we are a lock for the national title next year.
works for me. where's the FF @ in 2010? need to make plane reservations now...

pbriz
04-09-2009, 12:29 PM

These are all very good. I think Daye could be more in the mold of Tayshawn Prince and Harris could develop into a Raymar Morgan type (hopefulyl without the attitude).

cggonzaga
04-09-2009, 01:21 PM

hahahahahahahhahaha. Hey, these were just "hopeful comparisions to strive for". :D

MDABE80
04-09-2009, 01:25 PM

EXACTLY!!! Meech's future would be so enhanced if he shoots 700 long bombs daily. He needs to have the discipline to make the basket his friend from everywhere. It takes time but this is the glaring deficiency he has. Ball handling, dribble, etc will improve with experience. The FT's and the mid to long game will only be learned if he works on those two items. Take time but he'll generate his own future.

BobZag
04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I hope Arop is combination of Quincy Pondexter and Bobby Jones, a harassing wing defender who can stick an occasional jumper and open set shot, crash the boards and get second chance/garbage baskets via his length and hustle.

Right on. This is one of the best in the thread thus far.

BobZag
04-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Having not seen Gibbs that much, here's hoping he can be a Bobby Frasor type or Blake Stepp. Jon Sheyer is another, but I don't know if Gibbs shoots it that well.

lothar98zag
04-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Having not seen Gibbs that much, here's hoping he can be a Bobby Frasor type or Blake Stepp. Jon Sheyer is another, but I don't know if Gibbs shoots it that well.
If he tried to be Scheyer, would he have to make a "Scheyer Face (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS214US214&num=20&ei=iHbeSba9NsfunQfwpLSYAQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=Scheyer+Face&spell=1)" as well?

BobZag
04-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Olynyk being a Michael Dunleavy type sure would be nice, and from everything I've heard, read and seen it's not unrealistic, but it will take years, which is fine.

I wonder if Kong has a chance to be similar to a less bulky James Harden.

ZagNative
04-09-2009, 03:03 PM
If he tried to be Scheyer, would he have to make a "Scheyer Face (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS214US214&num=20&ei=iHbeSba9NsfunQfwpLSYAQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=Scheyer+Face&spell=1)" as well?I think Grant has it in him to step up with some pretty intense face action, as this video screen shot shows,celebrating after dunking with his barely healed broken wrist ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2008-03-05Grantscreamafterdunkstate.jpg

bballbeachbum
04-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Meech as a combo Gene Smith from Georgetown and Dee Brown from Illinois; Brown became a pretty good shooter over time to compliment his speed, and Smith was the toughest Hoya defender on those power teams; or just say Mateen Cleaves...yes

Austin as Danny Manning

Matt as Deron Williams, I can see that CDC; want to say Jason Kidd here, but while similar, they are very different physically I think...how about Andre Miller?

Steven as Wayne Ellington

Robert as Maurice Lucas

Will as Dikembe Mutombo

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

BobZag
04-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Meech as a combo Gene Smith from Georgetown and Dee Brown from Illinois; Brown became a pretty good shooter over time to compliment his speed, and Smith was the toughest Hoya defender on those power teams; or just say Mateen Cleaves...yes

Austin as Danny Manning

Matt as Deron Williams, I can see that CDC; want to say Jason Kidd here, but while similar, they are very different physically I think...how about Andre Miller?

Steven as Wayne Ellington

Robert as Maurice Lucas

Will as Dikembe Mutombo

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Dee Brown, oh yeah, a one-man fastbreak. Forgot about him.

While Matt and Deron have similarities, I do think Ginobli is a good one who Matt resembles a bit.

Angelo Roncalli
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
While Matt and Deron have similarities, I do think Ginobli is a good one who Matt resembles a bit.

I don't know about resemble...Ginobli's a pretty ugly dude...

BobZag
04-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I think Grant has it in him to step up with some pretty intense face action, as this video screen shot shows,celebrating after dunking with his barely healed broken wrist ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2008-03-05Grantscreamafterdunkstate.jpg

Case closed.

Good one, ZN.

GUZag08
04-09-2009, 05:34 PM

The guys now play pick up down at the gym, and I've talked to friends about the impression the players give us.

The one thing I hear everytime somebody plays with Gibbs is that he shoots "lights out."

BobZag
04-09-2009, 05:44 PM
The guys now play pick up down at the gym, and I've talked to friends about the impression the players give us.

The one thing I hear everytime somebody plays with Gibbs is that he shoots "lights out."

Music to my ears...er...eyes. :) Scheyer it is.

GUZag08
04-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Most D1 Guards shoot lights out in the gym... I'm sure Pargo is unreal when he's just messing around. Doesnt mean Gibbs isnt a good shooter, just my opinion of how that could look.

Na dude, Pargo doesnt look like a great shooter when he plays, often times he isn't the best shooter on the court. Don't get me wrong, Pargo is obviously the most dominant, but his shooting still isn't that impressive.

Bouldin and Gibbs just amaze people though with their consistency to knock down the 3.

IODubyaA
04-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Gibbs can stroke it ... he shot around 65% from the field in hs... granted a lot was from inside becuase his solid set of post skills but he shot his fair share of 3's and to still have that percentage is pretty impressive so from that and seeing him play I would say he can shoot

Nevtelen
04-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Gibbs can stroke it ... he shot around 65% from the field in hs... granted a lot was from inside becuase his solid set of post skills but he shot his fair share of 3's and to still have that percentage is pretty impressive so from that and seeing him play I would say he can shoot

Hmmm... height, a nice stroke, and post skills... Gibbs/Bouldin comparison, anyone?

bballbeachbum
04-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Dee Brown, oh yeah, a one-man fastbreak. Forgot about him.

Ginobili...I can see it. Manu has serious hops, huge hands, and finshes better around the rim because of it, and of course he's a lefty. But the total floor game, I see it. Making teammates better, I see that too. Good guy to emulate, a total leader.

I thought Ginobili was the best player in the world a few years back.

bballbeachbum
04-10-2009, 08:11 AM
"Pargo doesnt have a very good looking shot, I agree"

Not so fast.

WCC semis vs. SCU 6-9 FG, 2-3 from 3, 2-2 FT
WCC finals vs. SMC 5-10 FG, 0-2 from 3, 0-0 FT

1st Rd vs. Akron 4-5 FG, 1-1 from 3, 0-0 FT
2nd Rd vs. WKU 7-11 FG, 3-4 from 3, 1-1 FT
3rd Rd vs. UNC 6-10 FG, 1-3 from 3, 3-4 FT

So for post season numbers, when it mattered most, Jeremy did this as a shooter

28-45 FG or 62%
7-13 from 3 or 54%
6-7 FT or 86%

Those numbers do not support the notion that Jeremy is a poor shooter. He struggled w/ confidence, got it back, and stuck it in people's eye down the stretch.

Dig it.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

bballbeachbum
04-10-2009, 08:15 AM
you have GOT to be kidding me..........

In the same year, Argentina was the World Champion, the Spurs were the NBA champs, and he was MVP of both, correct?

What's the problem?

Reborn
04-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I think Austin Daye could become a similar player in style to Danny Manning, who played for Kansas. I think it would take two years though. Austin will make a huge leap next year, but not quite to the par of Manning his senior year. Man it would be great if Austin could realize what he could give GU and his family and himself by committing to play four years. I would truly like to see the real Austin Daye. I wish he could see what the guys who stayed at UNC did for their University. You have to give it to that group at Carolina. They deserved everything they got this year for the sacrifices they made. It's nice to see that we still have those kinds of players in America athletics.

Steven Grey has always been my Ray Allen clone. I think it will begin to show more next year, especially that mid-range game.

I would like to see Sacre play with the passion of Turiof. I think he could too. I think Sacre loves Gonzaga the way Turiof did/does. I see Sacre as a classy guy. He's big and strong too. We must remember he's only going to be a Sophomore. Wow!!!

Bouldin is a Blake Stepp comparrison. He's improved his 3 pt shooting a lot, and he sees the court much the same way Stepp did.

Meech. I hope Meech develops into a Quintin Hall clone. That would be so good for our program. Q-Hall had speed, and a great personality and character. I think Meech can have that too. I do think we are going to injoy him a lot.

Big Will = Lochness monster

I haven't seen the other guys play, but from what I read about Gibbs I kind of get a sense of a Danny Ainge. I would like to see Ainge's intensity out of Matt and it looks like he has that. And Danny was certainly a winner which I hear is very true of Gibbs.

bballbeachbum
04-11-2009, 07:01 AM
The problem is he wasnt and never has been the best player in the world. Oberto was apart of both as well, is he considered the best? No.

Of course not; Oberto was not the MVP of both, Manu was. Big difference.

MVP of World Championships, MVP of NBA Finals, in the same year...he was the best player in the world that year, imo.

Not saying I like Manu the flopper, but.........................

edit: my mistake, it's the Olympics 2006, not World Championships, and the Spurs won it in 2005, but I'll stay with Manu during that time as the best...again, I don't like admitting that, but that period was a LOW in USA basketball

Um, Olympics 2004, not 2006...my bad

skan72
04-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Of course not; Oberto was not the MVP of both, Manu was. Big difference.

MVP of World Championships, MVP of NBA Finals, in the same year...he was the best player in the world that year, imo.

Not saying I like Manu the flopper, but.........................

edit: my mistake, it's the Olympics 2006, not World Championships, and the Spurs won it in 2005, but I'll stay with Manu during that time as the best...again, I don't like admitting that, but that period was a LOW in USA basketball

That does not mean he was the best player in the world. You are saying at that time that Manu was better than Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, etc.? Just because he got MVPs at those does not make him the best player in the world at that time, not even close. Wade was finals MVP of 2006, and was arguably the best player on the US team that pulled Bronze that year. Was he the best player in the World? Maybe, maybe not, but he was certainly better than Manu.

You can't look at awards to say someone is the best, you have to watch them play. And watching Manu, he was not the best, and has never been the best basketball player in the WORLD.

BobZag
04-11-2009, 10:21 AM
That does not mean he was the best player in the world. You are saying at that time that Manu was better than Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, etc.? Just because he got MVPs at those does not make him the best player in the world at that time, not even close. Wade was finals MVP of 2006, and was arguably the best player on the US team that pulled Bronze that year. Was he the best player in the World? Maybe, maybe not, but he was certainly better than Manu.

You can't look at awards to say someone is the best, you have to watch them play. And watching Manu, he was not the best, and has never been the best basketball player in the WORLD.

Bouldin = Manu?
Kong = Lebron?
Arop = D-Wade?

:D

bballbeachbum
04-11-2009, 10:40 AM
That does not mean he was the best player in the world. You are saying at that time that Manu was better than Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, etc.? .

Yes. Kobe was crying with Shag at the time; his game was the worst of his career imo. DWade still hadn't arrived, same with James. Manu was serving everybody at that time, much to my dismay. Making all the bif baskets.

it's just my opinion

skan72
04-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Yes. Kobe was crying with Shag at the time; his game was the worst of his career imo. DWade still hadn't arrived, same with James. Manu was serving everybody at that time, much to my dismay. Making all the bif baskets.

it's just my opinion

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......
I must have misread what you just wrote. The Olympics were 2004 where he got MVP, but he never got MVP in 2005 when the Spurs won.

Let's look back at the season leading up to Manu's NBA Finals trophy, of which Tim Duncan was the MVP.

2004-2005 season:
Dwyane Wade: they get Shaq, yes, but the Heat improve to an Eastern Conference leading 59-23. They made it all the way to the ECF finals, and swept their first and second round opponents on the way their, losing to Detroit eventually.
LeBron James: Cavs miss the playoffs with a winning record, LeBron is the youngest player to record a triple-double and averages close to one for the entire season, with 27 points 7 rebounds and 7 assists.
I'm again using these things called stats that you have been using to say Manu was the best.

So...let's see, yeah I think you were right LeBron and Wade had yet to arrive.

And how was Kobe crying with Shaq when Shaq was on the Heat for the 2004-2005 season?

Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Duncan, Garnett, Nash, and many others were better players than Ginobili at the time.

EDIT: oh I see, you were saying Olympics 2004. He got MVP then, but he didn't even get NBA Finals MVP...what the heck? You cannot say he was the best player in the world, this is laughable.

bballbeachbum
04-11-2009, 03:18 PM
good to disagree skan72. you make good points, of course, and I missed a fact: Duncan was finals MVP 2005, not Manu (although he could have been).Thanks.

Nash was my favorite player to watch from these years, but not the best to me because he could not get his team past the Spurs, over and over again, much to my chagrin. Kobe/Shaq was a sopa opera well after they split, and Kobe wasn't Kobe for a little while in there (come on, you remember that, it was big news). Duncan's Team USA got dumped by Manu's Argentina team and Manu in particular went off in that game, dominated that game and dominated Team USA, 2004. I remeber having the realization that Manu was the best player on the floor, and it crushed me to the core. Then 2005 NBA season he just went off.

But I know we're not going to change each other's minds. We just disagree.
Maybe I give Manu too much credit, but I do give it to him, because to me he earned it.

bballbeachbum
04-11-2009, 05:19 PM
skan, a daye daye, I believe we've covered this one from varying angles

:cheers:

skan72
04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
We have covered it from many angles, but I have to have my rebuttal still.

good to disagree skan72. you make good points, of course, and I missed a fact: Duncan was finals MVP 2005, not Manu (although he could have been).Thanks.

Nash was my favorite player to watch from these years, but not the best to me because he could not get his team past the Spurs, over and over again, much to my chagrin. Kobe/Shaq was a sopa opera well after they split, and Kobe wasn't Kobe for a little while in there (come on, you remember that, it was big news). Duncan's Team USA got dumped by Manu's Argentina team and Manu in particular went off in that game, dominated that game and dominated Team USA, 2004. I remeber having the realization that Manu was the best player on the floor, and it crushed me to the core. Then 2005 NBA season he just went off.

Yes, Kobe was having legal issues. That does not make him any less of a player though, he was still a better player at the time and before the time and after the time.

That USA team was not the best you guys had to offer either, so many players turned down the opportunity to play. You had the wrong guys for the international style of ball; however, Argentina's best players all came out and the majority were used to playing international ball. The USA team had just been thrown together and had no chemistry.

And if you bring the 2005 NBA season into it, you CANNOT merely brush the players who actually should be involved in the best player in the world argument aside. Manu should not even be considered, you can't just look at stats, if you watch the game, Manu was not the best. Kobe was not on that USA team, was he a worse player than Manu at that time? Before all the legal allegations came to the forefront? Answer: No.

But I know we're not going to change each other's minds. We just disagree.
Maybe I give Manu too much credit, but I do give it to him, because to me he earned it.

He's good, I'll give you that, but I don't understand how you, as an apparently knowledgeable basketball follower can say Manu was a better player than all of these other guys. Simply put, he wasn't.

bballbeachbum
04-11-2009, 06:48 PM
good rebuttal of course, and not trying to deny you man, seriously

my counter, and then I'll await a cheers I hope after your rebuttal :D

the stage is the stage

Kobe drives and hits that runner off the front rim vs. Spain is the gold medal game 2008...huge basket, had to have it, and he made it.

DWade hits that late three. Spain dared him to make it, were ready to laugh...it was their late game startegy to dare the US to make a pressure three, to make Wade hit one, the guy who had been hurt and out...threw a dagger in their heart he did, using his own.

For me, on the stage of the world, those plays defined those two players as the best in the world (w/LeBron); when it mattered most, they played best.

But just if, for arguments sake, Rudy Fernandez leads Spain to victory in that game, makes the amazing heart plays instead and changes it around, I would say he was, at least definitely I would make the case (laugh now :D ) I would, because he'd have earned it.

But Kobe made the plays at winning time, DWade made the plays at winning time, LeBron too, so I make theirs instead; they earned it.

And everyone talked about how those plays proved Kobe and all as the cream, the "best in the world." I agree. So I make their cases instead; they earned it.

To me, Manu did that in the time period we're discussing, and so.......

Anyway, that's how I see players. At winning time, whose heart is it still standing? And then hats off. Quentin is still my favorite Zag exactly for that reason.

so rebuttal or cheers?

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

bballbeachbum
04-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I have to say a few things. I dont think that one performance makes any player the best in the world. If Rudy Fernandez goes off and wins that game, He's still not even a top 20 best player in the NBA. You have to be consistantly great, all game long, for years to be considered the best in the world..

I agree, he's not. He'd have to be a different player, but he wasn't able to do it. If he had, he'd be a different player, and he'd have served Kobe, Dwade, meaning he could, and then who knows what he'd be, but he didn't and he's not.

the stage said no, it's Kobe, Dwade, LeBron.

That was one of my points. And why I think about Manu what I do.

skan72
04-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I agree, he's not. He'd have to be a different player, but he wasn't able to do it. If he had, he'd be a different player, and he'd have served Kobe, Dwade, meaning he could, and then who knows what he'd be, but he didn't and he's not.

the stage said no, it's Kobe, Dwade, LeBron.

That was one of my points. And why I think about Manu what I do.

I don't get how he would be a different player? He still torched Team USA, that must have boosted his confidence. I mean that overdribble then 3 right in J.Kidd's face was nasty and that dunk on (and I use this term loosely) Superman, that was disgusting. That must have given him a ton of confidence, but even if Spain had won, I don't seriously think he would be outstripping B.Roy this year. He, as A Daye Daye said, has to produce consistently on the biggest stage: the NBA. While his numbers are good and he is a good player, I don't think him winning the Olympics would have made that much of a difference. Same with Manu, yes he did very well in the League/Internationally during the year(s) in question, but it's evident he was not the best player in the world. There were so many players not at the International competition that it is impossible to fully gauge his performance there. And looking at the NBA, Tim Duncan had a better season than him there, so why is Duncan not the best in the world? (Not that I think he is or was!)

I have certainly enjoyed this debate and will gladly give you this: cheers mate! :)

bballbeachbum
04-12-2009, 07:30 AM
I don't get how he would be a different player? He still torched Team USA, that must have boosted his confidence. I mean that overdribble then 3 right in J.Kidd's face was nasty and that dunk on (and I use this term loosely) Superman, that was disgusting. That must have given him a ton of confidence, but even if Spain had won, I don't seriously think he would be outstripping B.Roy this year. He, as A Daye Daye said, has to produce consistently on the biggest stage: the NBA. While his numbers are good and he is a good player, I don't think him winning the Olympics would have made that much of a difference. Same with Manu, yes he did very well in the League/Internationally during the year(s) in question, but it's evident he was not the best player in the world. There were so many players not at the International competition that it is impossible to fully gauge his performance there. And looking at the NBA, Tim Duncan had a better season than him there, so why is Duncan not the best in the world? (Not that I think he is or was!)

I have certainly enjoyed this debate and will gladly give you this: cheers mate! :)

Me too. This is fun, has been very fun. Cheers skan! Cheers a daye daye!