PDA

View Full Version : Predicting NBA 2009 Draft

75Zag
04-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't know how to set up a vote or poll, but I would be interested in a little competition to debate the following:

Do any Bulldogs go in the 1st round? Yes or No
Do any Bulldogs go in the 2nd round? Yes or No

Name (in order) the Bulldogs that get drafted into the NBA - regardless of round taken.

My vote / prediction

No first rounders.
Two second rounders.

JH and Pargo, in that order.

I would not be at all surprised to see Downs make a team as a free agent, but from what I read, his draft prospects are not looking particularly good right now. I would really like to be wrong on that one, as I think Downs has a lot of upside potential.

Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
04-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I won't predict it, but I wouldn't be shocked if Josh goes in the 1st round somewhere. He needs to work out well, though, for a series of teams. He may have had an up and down career at Gonzaga, but he's still a highly athletic 6-11 big guy with a lot of skills, and this draft is not going to be a good one.

gu03alum
04-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Josh goes first in the second round. Downs is drafted late in the second round. Pargo will go undrafted and daye will come back.

CelticZag
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
1st Round #12: Austin Daye per his facebook status: "lookin forward for wats next in life ;) (we'll see wat happens)"

2nd Round #34: Josh Heytvelt

2nd Round #38: Matt Bouldin

Undrafted: Micah Downs (Europe), Jeremy Pargo (NBA DL)

:mad: I hate it too.

deathchina
04-08-2009, 06:16 PM
1st Round #12: Austin Daye per his facebook status: "lookin forward for wats next in life ;) (we'll see wat happens)"

2nd Round #34: Josh Heytvelt

2nd Round #38: Matt Bouldin

Undrafted: Micah Downs (Europe), Jeremy Pargo (NBA DL)

:mad: I hate it too.

Honestly...if this was to happen, I wouldn't be that disappointed. We have 2 redshirt freshman and a bunch of incoming freshman. It wouldn't be the end of the world to let those guys grow up together on the court.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Josh: Early second round (I'd love to see my Kings snag him w/ their second round pick!!)

Jeremy: Late second round

Micah: Europe, after getting a look during the NBA summer league

Austin & Matt: Back to school

Austin has a lot to potentially gain by coming back to school. A big junior year could put him in the lottery for the 2010 draft, which would be hugely preferable to an early second round selection (which is where I think he'd land if he came out this year).

gu03alum
04-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I see Austin's junior year being like ammo's junior year (at least I hope it is).

Goshzagit
04-09-2009, 05:15 AM
IF Austin declares, he'd be first round. Josh will be mid 2nd, and Pargo and Downs will go undrafted. I suspect Josh will be the only Zag in the NBA next year.

I'm not so sure about Daye being a 1st rounder...at least not yet. I love Austin's game and think he will eventually excel in the NBA, but he's 2-3 yrs away from making any sort of contribution at the next level, IMO. Let me say this, if you were an NBA GM would you risk your one & only 1st Round pick on Austin? The NBA draft isn't the NFL draft, so you basically have one shot to get it right. Austin is a high risk, high reward pick in this year's draft. Based on Daye's current accomplishments, I wouldn't risk my job on him. All that said, If he stays another year and matures on the court, he could develop into a sure fire prospect. If he declares, I say mid-to-late 2nd Round or Lottery in '10.

Josh: Early 2nd Round possibly late 1st.

Pargo: Undrafted, however, he'll make an NBA roster via free agency as a 3rd PG and work his way up the depth charts once he polishes his jumper.

Downs: Undrafted, yet will be a star in International leagues most likely making more money than Heytvelt or Pargo combined. Micha is a protypical European player with even more athletic ability and just as good of shooter. I think Downs will make an NBA team after 3-4 yrs overseas. He STILL needs to work on his ball-handling ability to be effective in the NBA. I think he's relied so much on his length, athletism, slashing, and pure shooting stroke to score. His dribbling skills have went by the waste side. He picks up his dribble waaaayyyy too often. If he improves in this area, he might end up being the best pro player of the group, whether its overseas or in the league.

gu03alum
04-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Downs: Undrafted, yet will be a star in International leagues most likely making more money than Heytvelt or Pargo combined. Micha is a protypical European player with even more athletic ability and just as good of shooter. I think Downs will make an NBA team after 3-4 yrs overseas. He STILL needs to work on his ball-handling ability to be effective in the NBA. I think he's relied so much on his length, athletism, slashing, and pure shooting stroke to score. His dribbling skills have went by the waste side. He picks up his dribble waaaayyyy too often. If he improves in this area, he might end up being the best pro player of the group, whether its overseas or in the league.

I really think Downs' game translates better to the NBA than college or Europe. The reasons the nba will like Micah are that he is a tall wing player, he plays good defense, and he shoots really well from outside. The reason he didn't drive to the basket much this year is because the coaches did not want him to. His role on the team this year was to be a spot up shooter. It's tough to hit a three or be in position to hit a three when you are driving to the basket.

cjm720
04-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Josh and Micah in round 2. JP on the outside looking in. Daye and Bouldin will return for another run in the Dance.

Go Zags!

BobZag
04-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Josh flourishes in open gym type workouts. Micah, too.

EngineerZag
04-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I think Josh will go early 2nd round, JP and Micah both late second round.

Jeremy really stepped up his play late in the season and in the Tourney which was good timing - high visibility. We all know what Micah did late this season too.

Once and Future Zag
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I think Josh is very tail end of the first round... I suspect there's some team out there that rates him that high.

Jeremy: mid-late 2nd.

Micah: Most likely undrafted or one of the last ones in if there's a team that thinks he can fill a void for "cheap" but I think he goes to Europe, most likely.

Matt and Austin return most likely - both for conditioning... Matt for explosiveness and Austin for muscle.

lothar98zag
04-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Can someone with the time list all the GU players that have been drafted into the NBA and the years they were drafted? (I don't think the list is very long)

UberZagFan
04-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Josh tops in the draft from GU. Mid second round...possibly late first.

Many scouts will look at JH and see a player that can flourish in the right system....

zag buddy
04-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Josh will go in the top 10. I believe he is the sleeper of the entire draft. I can't think of any physical skills he does not have.

CelticZag
04-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Can someone with the time list all the GU players that have been drafted into the NBA and the years they were drafted? (I don't think the list is very long)

In alphabetical order (Don't have the time right now for dates):

Howard Burford, Frank Burgess, Jim DeWeese, Dan Dickau, Jim Grady, Terry Guigg, Gary Lechman, Claude Lefevre, Adam Morrison, Carl Pierce, Paul Rogers, Blake Stepp, John Stockton, Ronny Turiaf, Ken Tyler

Edit: Here's the list w/ dates: http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/gonzaga/nba_draft

lothar98zag
04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
In alphabetical order (Don't have the time right now for dates):

Howard Burford, Frank Burgess, Jim DeWeese, Dan Dickau, Jim Grady, Terry Guigg, Gary Lechman, Claude Lefevre, Adam Morrison, Carl Pierce, Paul Rogers, Blake Stepp, John Stockton, Ronny Turiaf, Ken Tyler

Edit: Here's the list w/ dates: http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/gonzaga/nba_draft
thanks!

15 total

by round drafted:
(currently only 2 rounds but there have been more in the past, a lot more)
1 - 3
2 - 3
3 - 1
4 - 0
5 - 2
6 - 0
7 - 2
8 - 0
9 - 1
10 - 1
11 - 1
12 - 0
13 - 0
14 - 0
15 - 1

only once has GU had more than 1 player drafted in the same year -
1971 in Rd 11 & Rd 15

maybe GU can get more than 1 drafted this year...

basketballzag
04-09-2009, 07:01 PM
New Orleans Hornets have a very strong interest in Hytvelt and it wouldn't shock me to see them make a run at him depending on how they do in the playoffs. They really like his game. As for Daye--they don't have any interest at all in drafting him. General consensus is that there are much better players in this draft that are worth picking up than someone who has "potential".

Pargo & Downs could wind up in the late second but will probably be Europe bound.

Zag79
04-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Josh flourishes in open gym type workouts. Micah, too.

very true. i think josh will be in the league, and pargo and downs possibly. pargo would be a lock if his shot was consistent, and downs will be in if they think he is strong enough.