PDA

View Full Version : Former Zag in difficulty

Zag 77
04-08-2009, 10:00 AM
http://www.krem.com/sports/gu/stories//krem2_040709_jewell.b346b0c9.html

Ouch.

Angelo Roncalli
04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
If true, how very sad. She should be prosecuted, if warranted. But not exactly a new phenomenon. A very similar thing occurred a few years ago here in Seattle with a former University of Portland player and a player at Seattle Prep.

zagzealot
04-08-2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/137607

It's very sad, if true. She even replaced a guy that resigned and was arrested for the exact same thing!

lothar98zag
04-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Saw this story, one that's becoming way too common, a day or two ago.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/137607

It's very sad, if true. She even replaced a guy that resigned and was arrested for the exact same thing!

assuming it's all true, the main story is bad enough, but this part is unreal...

webspinnre
04-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh, say it isn't so Rae. I had her in one or two of my classes.

EngineerZag
04-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Damn! I never would have thought Rae was capable of anything like this.

75Zag
04-08-2009, 05:29 PM
This is tough stuff.

I hope that justice is done and the truth is told by everyone involved in this difficult situation. I will also be praying that all involved can experience peace as we approach Easter weekend.

Zag79
04-09-2009, 05:58 PM
what a tough situation. rae is one of my best friends, since i was 16. im not surprised in a way, and then really sad obviously in other ways. part of me cant understand why someone as smart and caring as rae would do that, and then another part of cant believe we prosecute people for being with some one 16-18 years old. these people can drive motor vehicles that can kill someone, buy smokes that everyone knows kills, but you cant decide if you are ready to be sexually active? :confused: its not for me so dont get me wrong, im 29 and couldnt see myself with anyone under the age of 24 or 25 but is it up the state to tell me that? i dont believe so. my prayers and hope go out to you RR!

Zag 77
04-09-2009, 09:32 PM
79, I understand you are her freind. Think about this for a minute. Let us leave her out of this and just talk in the abstract. You are a parent. You have a 16 year old daughter. Do you really want her teacher or coach talk to her about having sex (or maybe even inviting her to have sex)? This is an unequal situation. The adult has control and a position of authority over the student. This is not like two 16 year olds getting hot and heavy on lover's lane.

The WA legislature just expanded prohibitions on teacher-student sex to students 18-21 just because of so many horror stories about abuse and "quid pro quo" situations.

The term is "predatory behavior." Ever hear about how sex offenders "groom" their child victims? Audit a course in criminolgy sometime; the accounts will curl your hair.

It is dumb and a coach-teacher who is stupid (or sexually maladjusted) enough to do something like this (abstractly speaking) goes to prison, gets labeled as a sex offender and has to register as such forever. Kiss coaching and teaching goodbye, since no authority will ever again trust them around kids, given the high rates of recidivism among sex offenders. That is why even Little League coaches have to submit to criminal background checks.

In the olden days the term used was "jail bait," and it was with good reason.

Wait til you have kids of your own. You won't be so likely to be permissive about their teachers wanting to have sex with them.

Zag79
04-10-2009, 02:16 AM
great post 77, what i meant didnt come across correctly. i know its wrong, understand why the laws exist, and of course i would be upset as a parent. when you coach or teach i agree its just not acceptable at all. period. this is where rae went wrong. but i also had a cousin who was 22 and dating a 17 year old. he went to jail and is now a registered sex offender because her parents were mad at the daughter and took it out on him. are you kidding me? how many high school girls did you know that dated college guys? i always dated girls that were in college when i was in high school. high school girls were way too immature for the most part. did they deserve to be locked up? i knew what i was doing and so did all my friends when we would crash a college party and try and hook up. LOL. and my parents would have never had any older girlfriend prosecuted. the teacher/coach thing is completely different, i understand and agree. i guess im talking about two different things at the same time because im sad for rae as my friend and its a very fine line.

Damn! I never would have thought Rae was capable of anything like this.
thats an interesting comment. i cant believe it either, especially on the job. thats just not right. BUT, do you know how many guys i knew at GU that dated girls that were in high school still? 22-23 year old guys coming back from the bars and meeting there girlfriends for after parties? personally i always dated my age or older, but its a common thing and normally it just goes unnoticed. it reminds me of josh's issue. everyone coming down on him so hard for something many of there own kids were doing with out getting caught.

Zag 77
04-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks for clarifying 79. The teacher-student line can't be crossed. On the college kids dating high school kids, I understand it happens. Occasionally it is OK, but most of the time it is a disaster waiting to happen. Your cousin is an example. I suspect that they were doing more than holding hands. That is why a college kid is playing Russian Roulette if he engages in sex with a minor. A lot of dads would pull out their hunting rifle and come gunning if they found out some college kid was screwing their HS kid.

Again, a little advice from an old fart. You won't want your 17 year old daughter dating a college kid either. Believe me, when you get there, you will understand.