PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Dates for Open Gyms

BobZag
04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
As most of you already know, coaches are no longer allowed to attend AAU tournaments in April. Instead, they are given eight days to go out and watch, evaluate, scout prospective recruits in open gyms. In open gyms the recruits will probably be put through some drills and play some ball. Usually, their high school coach or AAU coach will be putting the recruits through a workout and scrimmage, basically showing the college coaches how good the guy is. Or expose weaknesses, too.

Anyway, this Friday, Saturday and Sunday are open gym dates. Then April 17 thru 22 are the next dates. Zag coaches will be out in force, trying to get to as many open gyms as possible.

There are downsides to these new rules:

1. Coaches won't be able to see as many kids as they could at tournaments.

2. Many kids will be gone with their AAU teams to tournaments which, as stated above, are off-limits to coaches now.

3. Coaches can't spend as much time studying kids, thus more recruiting mistakes will undoubtedly happen.

Nonetheless, it will be interesting to learn what prospects the Zag staff are out scouting during these open gym days.

Carry on.

spudzag
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
It will be intersting to see how this format works. I wasn't aware that the "old" format was a problem, but there must be some reason for the change.

Having followed recruiting fairly closely for several summer I'm interested to see how the recruits for 10 and beyond take shape. One of the ingredients that has been a stumbling block the last couple years was a poor performance in the tournament. Hopefully the Swwet 16 showing will help with that. It will be interesting to see if the 09 crew impact the 10 prospects in one way or another. It seems that the scenerio or having a quality team is a bit of a double edged sword. It's often debated that the high quality recruits want to both a winning program and get playing time.

The prospects look interesting so far. The dynamic nature of new prospects coming in and out of the picture only to have someone unexpected commit is always interesting. Will be interesting to see how the new format impacts the process if at all.

BobZag
04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I should clarify that July will remain the same as it has been. Lots of AAU tournaments everywhere and coaches will be there.

edcasey
04-07-2009, 05:40 PM
this new format will indeed be interesting because in the state of washington HS coaches CANNOT be involved in coordinating or running drills, games by WIAA rules. They can open the gym but if they are caught doing drills, coordinating drills, coordinating games , giving instruction of any sort ect prior to the end of the spring state championships they could run the risk of HS inelligiblity....I am sure we are not the only state with that rule...so makes it little more difficult for the HS kids in our state

GUZagDenver
04-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Bob, any news on exactly who the coaches will be out to watch, and it what areas?

BobZag
04-08-2009, 08:38 AM
That's the tough part, Denver. A coach will be in Chelan this weekend and I think it's safe to assume a coach will be in/near Seattle and Portland. My bet would be SoCal, Arizona, possibly New Mexico and upper midwest as other destinations.

Just my intuition.

ZagNative
04-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Am I correct in assuming that the only way we'll find out which open gyms the Zag staff is attending will be from the prospects' reports, via interviews with recruiting services like Scout or Rivals? Ugh!

BTW, below is a listing from Arizonapreps.com (http://arizonapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=930688) (subscription) of upcoming AAU tourneys. Coaches won't be attending these tourneys, but the scouting services should be reporting on some of the Zags' prospects and possibly updating interest level reports from them naming the Zags.

The only game that leaped out at me as showcasing a Zags' prospect/commit is the May 9 Academic All-American tourney to which Kelly Olynyk has been invited. I'd expect LaBradford Franklin and other Zag prospects will be playing in a number of the other tourneys.

pril 9-11 Las Vegas Easter Showcase at Spring Valley HS (Las Vegas, NV)

April 9-11 Full Court Press Easter Classic at UNLV (Las Vegas, NV)

April 9-12 Mae Fisher Las Vegas Easter Classic at sites TBA (Las Vegas, NV)

April 11 Nike Hoop Summit at Rose Garden (Portland, OR)

April 17-19 Double Pump Spring Tournament at Gold Crown Field House (Lakewood, CO)

April 17-19 Arizona Preps Spring Classic at Arizona Premier Aademy (Phoenix, AZ)

April 17-19 Las Vegas Spring Explosion at Cheyenne HS (Las Vegas, NV)

April 24-26 Las Vegas Spring Premiere at Spring Valley HS, (Las Vegas, NV)

April 24-26 Double Pump Spring Classic at Bishop Gorman HS (Las Vegas, NV)

April 25 Collision All-Star Classic at El Camino College (Torrance, CA)

April 25-26 Pangos Sweet Sixteen at Cabrillo HS (Long Beach, CA)

May 1-3 Double Pump May Tournament at Cal St. Dominguez Hills (Carson, CA)

May 2 Battle of the Valley All-Star Classic at Cal State Northridge (Northridge, CA)

May 3 Full Court Press Spring Showcase at Jordan HS (Long Beach, CA)

May 8 Colorado Elite Eight at Standley Lake HS (Broomfield, CO)

May 8-10 Phoenix Spring Showcase at Site TBA (Phoenix, AZ)

May 9 Academic All-American Classic at Citizens Bank Arena (Ontario, CA)

May 9-10 5 Counties/Top 100 Recruiting Showcase at Cal Baptist University (Riverside, CA)
and Citrus Hill HS (Perris, CA)

May 14-17 Top of the Rockies Tournament at Chatfield HS (Littleton, CO) and Green Mountain HS (Lakewood, CO)

May 15-17 The City Championship at City College of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)

May 16-17 Reebok Headliner Tryout Camp at Roosevelt HS (Corona, CA)

May 23-25 Rumble in the Bay at Sites TBA (Bay Area)

May 23-25 HAX Memorial Day Blast at The Hangar (Hawthorne, CA)

May 29-31 Phoenix College Spring Invitational at Phoenix College (Phoenix, AZ)

May 29-31 Pangos All-American Camp at Long Beach, CA

May 30-31 Reebok Headliner Tryout Camp at City College of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) Contact: Jules Milstead at 510-760-2460 or jules_milstead@yahoo.com