PDA

View Full Version : From CBSsportsline.com



23dpg
03-28-2007, 05:17 PM
In Parrish's article about Kentucky's job search.


But CBS SportsLine.com has learned from two industry sources that Kentucky is indeed using a search firm, and the sources added the firm has already made a phone call to the agent of Gonzaga coach Mark Few.


It's good to have a coach that is wanted. It's even better to have a wanted coach that stays.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-28-2007, 06:55 PM
from the next paragraph:

"Obviously, no offer was presented and no formal conversation took place because at this point everybody not named Billy Donovan is a backup plan."

Here's a link to the whole article:

:link: http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10093707

I don't think Few is interested, necessarily, but he'd be crazy not to listen... then, after careful consideration, he can reject them.


--------

SteeleMan
03-28-2007, 08:06 PM
3.5-4.5 million per for donavon... just some rumors circulating... wow.

CDC84
03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
If UK gave Billy D. 4.5 million, that would be about 2 million more than any other current D-1 college head coach makes.

wazZag
03-28-2007, 09:49 PM
It's all part of negotiation. Few will listen because he should, even if he lacks so much as a modicum of interest in the position. I imagine this is a useful tool when lobbing for a pay raise for himself or more likely, his assistants.

TuckC
03-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Kentucky is insane. If you looked back last year, when GameDay was at Kentucky, you could barely here Digger, Davis and Bilas. I mean Judd is in the crowd every game. If Kentucky Basketball was located in say, So-Cal, it would be a USC Football experience. Will Ferrel would be rocking his 'fro whilst talking to every big name in the buisness. The stadium is pretty much the size of a football stadium. It reminds me of a Greek Colliseum, where it is packed, with three levels. Billy Donavan would be a good fit. But he won't leave now. Florida will be a longterm powerhouse in both sports, seeing as they are the most watched Collegiate sports in the nation (not much College Baseball regular season games airing). It is safe to say whoever goes their will be an instant millionare.

mdZag23
03-29-2007, 04:18 PM
There two craziest groups of fans are Alabama Football fans and Kentucky Basketball fans.

Unless you've had the chance to see it for yourself, there is no description that can come close to explaining how irrational, deadicated, and singleminded these two groups of people really are.

I've been fortunate to see both. My wife is from Alabama and I've spent a lot of time in Alabama and have been to some games. It's the only place I've ever been where Sportsradio is dedicted to 1 sport, football. It covers the airways 95%+ of the time. The other 5% is NASCAR.

On the Kentucky front, a good friend of mine has been to Spokane with me on several occasions to watch the Zags and he's been super impressed with the fans there. He always commented that we needed to go to RUPP. So we did! Absolutely awe struck the whole time I was there at the environment!

dawgman1999
03-29-2007, 05:17 PM
There two craziest groups of fans are Alabama Football fans and Kentucky Basketball fans.

Unless you've had the chance to see it for yourself, there is no description that can come close to explaining how irrational, deadicated, and singleminded these two groups of people really are.

I've been fortunate to see both. My wife is from Alabama and I've spent a lot of time in Alabama and have been to some games. It's the only place I've ever been where Sportsradio is dedicted to 1 sport, football. It covers the airways 95%+ of the time. The other 5% is NASCAR.

On the Kentucky front, a good friend of mine has been to Spokane with me on several occasions to watch the Zags and he's been super impressed with the fans there. He always commented that we needed to go to RUPP. So we did! Absolutely awe struck the whole time I was there at the environment!

I moved to Chicago 3 years ago. I live half a mile from Wrigley. If you think UK fans are loyal, you ain't see no Cubs fans yet. At least UK has been THE winningest program in CBB, and there're reasons for unrealistic expecation and enthusiasm. The Cubs had been one of the least successful teams in sports, yet they still pack Wrigley Field every game, even when there's really no reason to watch them perform on the field. I went to 10 games the past season, toward the end of the year, when they were certain to lose 90 - 100 games, fans booed the team on the field, but they will come back the next day. And they still think the next year is the year that the Cubs will break the curse. It's unbelievable. I can't imagine any city in America will keep supporting a team that's so bad for 98 years, not even in Spokane.

RenoZag
03-29-2007, 06:32 PM
I can't imagine any city in America will keep supporting a team that's so bad for 98 years, not even in Spokane.

I think Al Davis and the Commitment to Excrement boys are working on the start of a 98 year streak of their own. . .

TexasZagFan
03-29-2007, 06:53 PM
I think Al Davis and the Commitment to Excrement boys are working on the start of a 98 year streak of their own. . .

Will Al Davis please retire?

Speaking of rabid fans, how about the entire state of Texas and football? College, high school, and the pros would be right up there had the Texans drafted Vince Young. Cowboy fans are still rabid, even though they've had one playoff win since 1995.

Only in Texas would a district game be televised on ESPN. That happened two years ago: Southlake Carroll was the defending 5-A champ, while Denton Ryan was the defending 4-A champ. Due to realignment, both teams were placed in the same district. Before the game, both teams were ranked in the fictional National Top 25, and both were undefeated to that point. Fans of the other four high schools were not amused when the realignment was announced.

It's not unheard of for later round playoff games to surpass 40,000 in attendance. This year's championship game drew close to 50,000.

If I was going to plan an attack on Texas, I'd schedule it for a Friday night in the fall.

zagster318
03-30-2007, 12:16 AM
I moved to Chicago 3 years ago. I live half a mile from Wrigley. If you think UK fans are loyal, you ain't see no Cubs fans yet. At least UK has been THE winningest program in CBB, and there're reasons for unrealistic expecation and enthusiasm. The Cubs had been one of the least successful teams in sports, yet they still pack Wrigley Field every game, even when there's really no reason to watch them perform on the field. I went to 10 games the past season, toward the end of the year, when they were certain to lose 90 - 100 games, fans booed the team on the field, but they will come back the next day. And they still think the next year is the year that the Cubs will break the curse. It's unbelievable. I can't imagine any city in America will keep supporting a team that's so bad for 98 years, not even in Spokane.

Nice to see another Chi-town guy. My parents live in Riverside.

Wolkster
03-30-2007, 10:53 AM
>Will Al Davis please retire?

Why? As a Raider Hater (Cowboys too) I'd love to see him stick around for another 10 years.

Go Steelers!

ZagSlug
03-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Davis wil never retire, he will have to pass away to let go of his team.

And he will probably be buried in his white Raider sweatsuit