PDA

View Full Version : I think Carolina is kinda sorta fairly pretty good

BobZag
04-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Zags ran into a freakin' buzzsaw...and so has Sparty tonight.

gozags09
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
They are amazing. While I didn't think the Zags played their A game, we certainly didn't have a horrible showing when you look at the body of work during the tourney for the Heels. They didn't play great on Saturday and still easily dismantled a good Nova team. As many have said, it wouldnt have mattered who they were playing a week ago Friday, they are just that much better than everyone else.

bballbeachbum
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Zags ran into a freakin' buzzsaw...and so has Sparty tonight.

wow

case closed

zagco
04-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Yeh, this is incredible. It reminds Zagco of the first UNLV-Duke title game.

mainer6
04-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I said this a few days ago, and here goes again. It is tough to have the Zags lose but it is good for our "self-esteems" to have UNC win the whole thing--especially when they win like this.

SWZag
04-06-2009, 06:26 PM
If UNC wins, does that mean GU could possibly be the second best team in the country? :D

UberZagFan
04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
If UNC wins, does that mean GU could possibly be the second best team in the country? :D

Yes, definitely.

BobZag
04-06-2009, 06:34 PM

No doubt about it! ;)

zagco
04-06-2009, 06:35 PM
WE'RE NUMBER 2!!!

By the time this game ends, Michigan State could possibly lose to Carolina by a combined score approaching 100 points. :o

BobZag
04-06-2009, 06:40 PM
WE'RE NUMBER 2!!!

I'll drink to that! :cheers:

ZagAddict
04-06-2009, 06:41 PM
:allhail:

UNC is an incredible team... there shouldn't be any debate about how special they are after dismantling a HOT Michigan State team tonight in the championship. I can't believe how loose each one of them play during such pressure games. I think Gonzaga will take a lot away from their matchup with UNC this year in the tournament and we'll see the benefits next year.

Go Tar Heels...

mainer6
04-06-2009, 06:42 PM

No, but you can, after a beer or two, make the argument that they gave UNC a better game than Oklahoma, Villanova or Michigan St. And if you happen to be an LSU fan, you can really feel good about your team.

spudzag
04-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Gonzaga > Michigan State

Birddog
04-06-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm getting nostalgic for Packer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZdL9PxKQ8E

ZagLawGrad
04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Gonzaga > Michigan State

No doubt

Das Zagger
04-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I flew to Chicago today. While we were boarding, flight attendant came over the loudspeaker and said "we're oversold, we need two volunteers, you will get to CHI tonight at 10:45." I really, really wanted to see this game so I passed up the $200 travel voucher.

Yep, I feel like I lost $200 today.

dpouley
04-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Gonzaga > Michigan State

I don't think GU could have beaten USC, Kansas, Louisville and UConn in four consecutive games.

This GU team was good, Sweet Sixteen good for sure. But better than Michigan State? C'mon. When is the last time the Zags have won four games in a row against teams of the quality of those four I just listed?

MedZag
04-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't think GU could have beaten USC, Kansas, Louisville and UConn in four consecutive games.

This GU team was good, Sweet Sixteen good for sure. But better than Michigan State? C'mon. When is the last time the Zags have won four games in a row against teams of the quality of those four I just listed?

Agreed.

But it's the off-season. The season of silliness. The right to be irrational.

dpouley
04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Agreed.

But it's the off-season. The season of silliness. The right to be irrational.

Oh I know, and I am not trying to start an argument.

I think that GU can look back at the loss to UNC and be satisfied that they ran into the NCAA champ, a dominant champ.

mainer6
04-06-2009, 07:09 PM
How do you know you are getting your butt kicked? The home town crowd get excited when you cut the lead to 16.

MedZag
04-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Sparty is scrapping. Refs are helping them scrap.

NYCZAG
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
After watching them against our Zags you knew they were on there way to the title-My concern is how the Yankees paid all that money for CC Sa-FAT-thia and how bad this long baseball season is going to be for the Yankees-

MedZag
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
So much for scrapping.

MedZag
04-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Ugh the verbal fallating of Hansbrough on Sportscenter has already gotten to me. I thought Suton and company pretty much took Tyler out of the equation tonight.

Know who UNC wouldn't have won without tonight? Ellington, Davis, and Thompson.

B Wayne
04-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I just pray to God Michigan State fans don't post some of the trite posted after the Zags lost to North Carolina.

"We are as good as NC, and"...fill in the blank from below..

"If we hadn't had so many turnovers we would have won."

"If we had been tougher, we would have won."

"Our guys didn't want to win bad enough"

"If we had hit more 3's we would have won."

"Other teams just get hot when they play us."

(Anything except the better team won)

I would rather gouge my eye out with a tree branch than suffer through that again

CDC84
04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Michigan State did the same thing that Gonzaga did....they turned the ball over way too much. You can't do that against UNC, because it sets fire to their transition game.

As poorly as Gonzaga played against UNC, they still shot 48% against them in the 1st half, and 47% for the game.

MSU shot 40% against UNC tonight. Oklahoma shot 44% against the Heels. LSU shot 45%, and Villanova 33%.

GeorgiaZagFan
04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I wish we had 5 guys that played with the intensity and passion of Hansbrough. I don't understand the negativity. I could care less about the media hype...I just know that the opening seconds of this game set the tone as Hansbrough went to the floor on the opening tip. I believe the Tarheels feed off the intensity he brings. Can you imagine JH playing every moment of every game as Hansbrough does?

zagking
04-06-2009, 10:08 PM
was there any point during the tourney that unc was losing?

B Wayne
04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
The reason GU and MSU turned the ball over so much agaisnt NC was because NC was the better team. GU wasn't trying to turn the ball over. But when a team plays good defense and is talented defensively, they will make you turn over the ball with their superior talent, length and quickness. That's why NC is so good.
Let me make an analogy to another sport. Football announcers for years used to say things like "the team with less turnovers will win". At the end of the game, they would appear right, the team with less turnovers would often win. But people/fans started catching on that the team with superior talent, that is...better pass rushers, harder hitters, better defensive backs will make the losing team turn it over. If the losing team just tried nothing but to try to not turn the ball over, say my just falling on the ball and taking no chances, they still would have lost.

Likewise, with the Zags, just to take one good player, Bouldin, he's going to try to make passes that usually succeed for a score in tight lanes, or take the ball to the bucket, but his passes were sometimes picked off by NC length and quickness, and driving to the hoop, shots that often get in get swatted or stolen by some very talented players. GU could have concentrated on nothing but not turning it over, but then their offense would have just been standing around the perimeter, making nothing but safe passes.

So to state a team lost because of turnovers is misleading. They turned the ball over more ie lost the game...because the other team was quite talented and a better team.

ZagsGoZags
04-06-2009, 10:56 PM
A major sportswriter described the UNC vs GU game as "laughable" because it was so uneven. He had that East Coast mojo going in his comments. I would love to find him and point out that our game resembled the games against Michigan State and Villanova, and see if he would use the same word for those defeats.
grrrrrr.

Ziggy
04-06-2009, 10:56 PM

They were down 3-2 in the opening minutes, tonight. That's the only instance that I know of. :D

Ziggy
04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
The reason GU and MSU turned the ball over so much against NC was because NC was the better team. GU wasn't trying to turn the ball over. But when a team plays good defense and is talented defensively, they will make you turn over the ball with their superior talent, length and quickness. That's why NC is so good.
Let me make an analogy to another sport. Football announcers for years used to say things like "the team with less turnovers will win". At the end of the game, they would appear right, the team with less turnovers would often win. But people/fans started catching on that the team with superior talent, that is...better pass rushers, harder hitters, better defensive backs will make the losing team turn it over. If the losing team just tried nothing but to try to not turn the ball over, say my just falling on the ball and taking no chances, they still would have lost.

Likewise, with the Zags, just to take one good player, Bouldin, he's going to try to make passes that usually succeed for a score in tight lanes, or take the ball to the bucket, but his passes were sometimes picked off by NC length and quickness, and driving to the hoop, shots that often get in get swatted or stolen by some very talented players. GU could have concentrated on nothing but not turning it over, but then their offense would have just been standing around the perimeter, making nothing but safe passes.

So to state a team lost because of turnovers is misleading. They turned the ball over more ie lost the game...because the other team was quite talented and a better team.

Agree with most of what you posted, but I would like to toss in that if a team can't shoot better than 28%, then they have no chance of winning. In the end BB is comes down to scoring points, more points than your opponent. If the ball doesn't fall, you don't win.

CDC84
04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't dispute B Wayne that UNC is the best and most talented team this season. But at least half of MSU's turnovers tonight were 100% preventable. I've seen enough basketball games in my lifetime to understand the difference between a forced and unforced turnover. The Spartans did a lot of dumb things tonight which didn't necessary lose the game, but prevented them from having ANY chance to win it. That's the critical point...having a chance to win it. The mistakes allowed UNC to build a working margin that proved to be too much. In order to beat UNC, you can't beat yourself. A lot of MSU's mistakes just came down to basic basketball IQ and showing some poise.

Despite being champions, the Heels are still not an overwhelming defensive team. In fact, they had stretches in this tournament where they were bad defensively, but they just outscored people. But they don't apply ball pressure anywhere near the level that we saw out of teams like Memphis, UCLA and Kansas last year. It's just not that intimidating of a defense. Michigan State didn't have to lose that badly.

Birddog
04-07-2009, 04:15 AM
Agree with most of what you posted, but I would like to toss in that if a team can't shoot better than 28%, then they have no chance of winning. In the end BB is comes down to scoring points, more points than your opponent. If the ball doesn't fall, you don't win.
Do you think defense has anything to do with that %? or is it like a self inflicted gunshot?

mainer6
04-07-2009, 06:11 AM
After watching them against our Zags you knew they were on there way to the title-My concern is how the Yankees paid all that money for CC Sa-FAT-thia and how bad this long baseball season is going to be for the Yankees-

Your concerns fall on deaf ears here. A yankee fan complaining on a board for a team based in washington where the only baseball team is the mariners is like a millionaire complaining about taxes to the homeless. Come talk to me if the Yanks finish last, then finish last again the next year.

FuManShoes
04-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Things that surprised me about UNC:

--Their defense really stiffened in the Tourney. I just figured that would be their downfall but it never failed them.

--I thought they set themselves apart with midrange shooting. I swear to god, Thomspon, Davis and Hansbrough made every contested jump hook or bank shot they took. Everything. If a shot was taken, it was made -- and that continued for six games.

HillBillyZag
04-07-2009, 07:51 AM
"If if's and but's were candy and nuts, we would all have a merry christmas"!
There can be little doubt that UNC is the best college team in the Nation. and Doc, I don't know which game you were watching but while Auton had a good game for MSU, he no way dominated Hansbrough. I think three of his field goals were 3 pointers when defended by someone other than Tyler on the switch. I have to give credit where credit is due and Hansbrough goes all out, all game. The kid does not take one play or one posession off. He may not have been the greatest athlete on that floor but he sure was the hardest worker.

bullzag23
04-07-2009, 08:44 AM
They were down 3-2 in the opening minutes, tonight. That's the only instance that I know of. :D

CBS showed a stat towards the end of the game, UNC trailed about 10 minutes for the ENTIRE TOURNAMENT. That's out of 240 minutes, 1 of them thanks to GU. We did take an early, early lead in the sweet 16 ;)

BobZag
04-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Heels win by 43 pts in Round 1.
Heels win by 14 pts in Round 2.
Heels win by 21 pts in SS.
Heels win by 12 pts in EE.
Heels win by 14 pts in FF.
Heels win by 17 pts in NC.

At the half--

Heels up by 19 pts in Round 1.
Heels up by 9 pts in Round 2.
Heels up by 11 pts in SS.
Heels up by 9 pts in EE.
Heels up by 9 pts in FF.
Heels up by 21 pts in NC.

lothar98zag
04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
http://www.carolinamarch.com/2009/4/7/825602/eight-minutes-thirty-seconds

Eight Minutes, Thirty Seconds
That's the amount of time UNC trailed in the 240 minutes of play during the NCAA Tournament. Breaking it down:

Radford The Heels never trailed.
LSU 75 assorted seconds in the first half, stretching from 18:52 until UNC took the lead at 15:44 on a Wayne Ellington three to make it 9-8.
LSU 17:04-16:26 LSU takes a 42-41 lead that lasts until Ty Lawson ties it at 44-44.
LSU 15:11-11:12 The longest stretch UNC trailed, from a score of 47-44 until the Heels regained the lead at 56-54
LSU 10:52-10:30 Marcus Thorton hits his a three to go up 57-56, and Ty Lawson responds 22 seconds later to make it 57-56. UNC would never trail in the second half
Gonzaga, 19:45-19:35 Gonzaga leads 1-0, until Tyler Hansbrough makes a jumper.
Gonzaga, 19:23-18:48 Gonzaga leads 3-2, until Ty Lawson hits a three.
Oklahoma The Heels never trailed
Villanova 19:38-18:42 Villanova leads 2-0, until Wayne Ellington ties it with a jumper.
Villanova 18:21-18:05 Villanova leads 4-2, until Ty Lawson hits a three.
Michigan State 19:13-18:54 Michigan State leads 3-2 until Danny Green hits a three.Eight minutes, thirty seconds. Two minutes, sixteen seconds after the opening weekend. That's just indescribable.

FWIW, 8:30 is ~3.5% of UNC's 6 games... & 2:16 is ~1.4% of UNC's last 4 games :eek: :eek:

bballbeachbum
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
like Mike Tyson, landing haymakers from the opening bell

that offensive pressure was incredible, every 3 that went up early seemed to go in, like a shots to the jaw as soon as the bell rang, and as has been pointed out, all their inside stuff went down, whatever it looked like and whoever shot it, they made it

Boom, everyone starts pressing, freaking a bit, and saying, "Calm down!" and Boom, Lawson intercepts an inbounds, or people's hands stop working normally

woozy, and early

whoever said they reminded them of Larry Johnson's first UNLV team, I agree (sorry, can't remeber who it was)

zagzilla
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
With the UNC national champioship, 3 of the last 11 years we have been eliminated by the eventual champ-

1999 Uconn
2000 Mich St
2009 UNC

No such thing as a good loss in the dance but losing ot the eventual champs that frequently seemd unlucky

ZZ

lothar98zag
04-07-2009, 02:35 PM
With the UNC national champioship, 3 of the last 11 years we have been eliminated by the eventual champ-

1999 Uconn
2000 Mich St
2009 UNC

No such thing as a good loss in the dance but losing ot the eventual champs that frequently seemd unlucky

ZZ
FWIW, MSU eliminated GU in 2001.

here's another UNC stat:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4048694&name=marchmadness

Largest point differential
For an NCAA tournament champion since 1985.

Year Team Point Diff.
1996 Kentucky +129
2009 UNC +121
1990 UNLV +112
2001 Duke +100
1993 UNC +94

ZagLawGrad
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
UNC was a great team. But unfortunately, it was like watching the Patriots win another Super Bowl. Boring. Monotonous. Some team needs to break the mold from the UCLA's and Kansas' and UNC's of the world. Please.

cbbfanatic
04-07-2009, 05:57 PM

i figure these guys are joking saying theyre #2 and all, but i agree dpouley, thats the real point here. its immaterial who gave UNC the "best" game, what matters is the actual wins teams put together to get where they did. not sure akron and wku compare favorably to USC, KU, UL, and UCONN.