PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few: The Lone Ranger

CDC84
04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Xavier and Memphis are arguably the two best non-BCS programs in basketball. Gonzaga is right up there as well.

Xavier's Sean Miller is headed to Arizona. Memphis' John Calipari is now at UK.

Mark Few continues to remain at Gonzaga, and he's had a longer tenure at GU than either Miller or Calipari had at their former institutions. (Cal took over Memphis a year after Few took over GU).

It's something I don't take for granted.

23dpg
04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing CDC. When the "Miller to Arizona" thread got moved I thought, no, this does relate to Gonzaga basketball.

Mark Few has made the Gonzaga story even more special.

229SintoZag
04-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Few's unique, and so is Gonzaga.

I expect we will be inking long term home-and-home deals with both Kentucky and Arizona. Cal and Miller will remember the troubles of scheduling. And Arizona expecially is a school that has never been historically afraid to schedule tough OOC.

After Cal's departure, I doubt it makes sense for us to keep going with the Memphis deal beyond the current contract, but time will tell. It certainly is not likely to remain a perennial top 10 program after his departure, but stranger things have happened.

rennis
04-06-2009, 03:52 PM

I expect we will be inking long term home-and-home deals with both Kentucky and Arizona. Cal and Miller will remember the troubles of scheduling. And Arizona expecially is a school that has never been historically afraid to schedule tough OOC.

Home and home deals with those two schools would be...fabulous

lothar98zag
04-06-2009, 04:08 PM

After Cal's departure, I doubt it makes sense for us to keep going with the Memphis deal beyond the current contract, but time will tell. It certainly is not likely to remain a perennial top 10 program after his departure, but stranger things have happened.
Although it would be great to be wrong, IMHO, I don't see a home-home or anything close to it happening with UK.

Hopefully something can get done with AZ quickly before the other PAC-10 coaches teach Miller how to "properly" put together an OOC schedule...

BobZag
04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxIuIxqo2So

Is Tommy Lloyd Tonto? :)

UberZagFan
04-06-2009, 06:21 PM

For some reason, Uber doesn't believe this thinking is very consistent. Cal and Miller are expected to remember the woes of a mid-major coach in trying to schedule top programs but now that there is a chance that Memphis will fall back to the "mid-major" pack, Few is suppose to forget about them? Interesting.

Like Uber said in a different thread, if Cal sets up a home and home in the near future with GU, UK fans shouldn't be too happy. At least in the near future, UK doesn't need to come to the Kennel and face a good chance of taking a loss OOC. Uber can't think of one reason why UK would schedule GU--there is no history, they don't need the RPI, they certainly don't need the national exposure, they already have enough "tough" or "tester" games OOC in Louisville and such.

AZ, on the other hand, may be a different story. Both are west coast schools, there is some history between the schools, AZ has a history of playing tough OOC games, and AZ could use the national TV exposure that such a game would get considering most of their conference games aren't even shown on all of the west coast.

Nevtelen
04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Although it would be great to be wrong, IMHO, I don't see a home-home or anything close to it happening with UK.

Hopefully something can get done with AZ quickly before the other PAC-10 coaches teach Miller how to "properly" put together an OOC schedule...

It isn't necessarily coaches, it's schools and scheduling strategies. I will be stunned if might UK deigns to a home-and-home with GU no matter who the coach is - it'd be the same if Grier was the coach. It'd be the same if Few got the UK job and Rice was the coach at GU.

Zona... we'll see. I'm not hopefull.

BTW, I am AMAZINGLY thankfull for Few and how he's stayed.

75Zag
04-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Coach Few seems to be a good match for the GU program, and to an outsider like me it seems that he is not interested in going anywhere. Most of us are trying to climb the ladder of career success by jumping slightly upward from one job to another, but Few does not seem to be motivated like that and he seems to be perfectly happy in Spokane. Perhaps, 25 or 30 years from now, BobZag will give Mark Few a ride from the GU campus to the Spokane Social Security office where Mark can make his application for benefits and then head home to his rocking chair on the Spokane River.

Sarenyon
04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Few is just awsome, and I thank God that he loves GU and Spokane.

As for Home and Homes, Memphis just hired their #1 assistant to take the head coaching job, perhaps we can maintain that home and home.

I can see us playing UK in a neutral type setting once every 3 or 4 years... no home and home. UK does not need this.

AZ would be nice, but we never scheduled X, so what makes everyone think we can jump in at AZ?

GoZags
04-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Xavier has longed to have a home and home series with Gonzaga -- and it never got done. I'm doubtful that Sean Miller will agree to one now that he's at Arizona. Hope I'm wrong -- but I just don't see it.

nonzagzag
04-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I doubt Few is really motivated by this, but if he stays here for a long time and continues to elevate the program, make some final fours, etc. he could be a hall of famer and a coaching legend for what he does with this program, whereas if he jumps to a BCS school he is more likely to just end up as one of the pack of good coaches out there who have coached at several different schools, etc and don't really have a legacy.

CDC84
04-06-2009, 11:30 PM
If Few stays at Gonzaga and keeps winning at the rate he is, he'll probably be a Hall of Famer even if he never makes a final 4. He's piled up a ton of wins for a coach who is as young as he is.

That being said, it's hard to imagine him not making a final 4 at some point if he keeps winning like this. He just needs to get the right group of guys, and most importantly, the right kind of draw. It's going to happen one year...hopefully sooner rather than later.

bigblahla
04-07-2009, 05:25 AM
That being said, it's hard to imagine him not making a final 4 at some point if he keeps winning like this. He just needs to get the right group of guys, and most importantly, the right kind of draw. It's going to happen one year...hopefully sooner rather than later.

2010-2011 :D Works for me.

Go!! Zags!!!

kdoggy
04-07-2009, 07:54 AM
That Gonzaga is a top job and Few is paid pretty darn well and has been for a while. He had 2 good friends in Giacoletti and Monson that went for a "power conference", Mons is at Long Beach State and Giac is Fews assistant after geting the shaft at Utah. One could make the "set for life, doin' it for my family" arguement but Few is financially set for life and is in a position where there is no greater combination security and compensation and heading up a great program.

The problem with the "big" jobs is that there is always unrealistic expectations and often a looming shadow of past greatness.

229SintoZag
04-07-2009, 08:08 AM
For the record, people, I was attempting a joke (and apparently failing). I do not expect a home and home with Kentucky or Arizona.

At this point I'd take a home and home with Xavier.

SteelCityZag
04-07-2009, 08:17 AM
For the record, people, I was attempting a joke (and apparently failing). I do not expect a home and home with Kentucky or Arizona.

Sinto,

I'm glad you were joking. We weren't even getting a true home-and-home with Memphis, so I don't see Cal giving us one at Kentucky. Maybe we can get one done with Memphis now that Cal is gone. His words were something like "We don't play in no Kennels" on the Gameday show.

Nevtelen
04-07-2009, 09:18 AM

What!? They allow joking on this board? Why didn't somebody tell me?

lothar98zag
04-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Well, I figured from your past posts that GU's home schedule was something you took very $eriously, so I wasn't expecting you to joke around about it. Then again, maybe you think GU's non-WCC home games are a joke and that's why you made the joke...

BobZag
04-07-2009, 05:24 PM
If Few stays at Gonzaga and keeps winning at the rate he is, he'll probably be a Hall of Famer even if he never makes a final 4. He's piled up a ton of wins for a coach who is as young as he is.

Many HOF coaches never made a Final Four. John Chaney from Temple is one.

I view Few like I view Calhoun. Build a program up from obscurity and keep nurturing it all his career.

229SintoZag
04-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Many HOF coaches never made a Final Four. John Chaney from Temple is one.

I view Few like I view Calhoun. Build a program up from obscurity and keep nurturing it all his career.

Or like Lute Olson.

Interestingly, both have won national titles.

MickMick
04-08-2009, 03:44 AM
Lute was knocked for not getting to the final four until he finally broke the door down. Few's circumstances are similar.

Keep punching the ticket and the Zags always have a chance.

FrahmfortheWin
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
It's something I don't take for granted.

I'm right there with you.

bballbeachbum
04-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm right there with you.

+1

Zagpower
04-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I think it's more like Few, GU, and Spokane is a good fit.

I still maintain that there are hundreds of top professionals living in the Spokane area, most of whom have turned down substantially more money and prestige to stay in Spokane rather than to move on to higher paying jobs in other locales.

You cannot repeat 'Don't Mess With Happy" enough times.

I just moved to Spokane ten years ago and I can see why the area appeals so much to so many people.

cjm720
04-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I just moved to Spokane ten years ago and I can see why the area appeals so much to so many people.

The reverse is very much true too! The summers are tough to beat though.

go zags!!