PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth Invt; Jeremy and Micah mentions

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Micah is playing and is listed under the "most to gain" category. JP apparently declined an invite and is mentioned under the "dummies" category.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2009-Portsmouth-Invitational-Official-Rosters-and-Preview-3162

MotoZag
04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
That dummies list seems to be out of spite. As if the Portsmouth Invite is the only tourney the scouts are watching...

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2009, 10:10 PM
That dummies list seems to be out of spite. As if the Portsmouth Invite is the only tourney the scouts are watching...

Why would it be out of spite? Portsmouth didn't write the article, draftexpress did and they're not affiliated with the PIT.

LongIslandZagFan
04-06-2009, 06:24 AM
I think it is because they assume that Pargo has a major need to go to it. My guess is that he has an agent at this point and they have already started to line up private workouts. Remember, he already has some relationships built from last year. If that is the case... he really doesn't need PIT.

LynetteG
04-06-2009, 07:15 AM
My guess is that he has an agent at this point
bingo, Bartelstein
http://www.draftexpress.com/agents/Mark-Bartelstein-79/

LongIslandZagFan
04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I was also thinking that he could potentially be invited to the the NBA Pre-Draft Camp, or may have already been invited. That is more prestigous than PIT and it could be why he declined. I hope Micah shines at PIT... he deserves a shot.

MotoZag
04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Why would it be out of spite? Portsmouth didn't write the article, draftexpress did and they're not affiliated with the PIT.

I didn't say they were affiliated, but draftexpress seems to be putting an unwarranted amount of weight on the tourney.

Pleasant Peninsula
04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
That's because NBA scouts put an "unwarranted amount of weight on the tourney."

Draftexpress explains their criteria for the dummies section like this: "Players who are by no means locks to get drafted, but regardless declined their invites".

Interestingly enough, DraftExpress doesn't have Pargo being drafted at all. This must have just happened with a recent update, he's been somewhere in their 2009 draft projections for a couple years now until this development. I don't know if they know something we don't or if they are just basing it off the perception that Jeremy had an off year and didn't help his chances from last year. I dunno, but my feeling is that Jeremy gets drafted.

FuManShoes
04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Also, Draftexpress did not declare these guys dummies but rather suggested they may end up regretting the decision:

Dummies?
Players who are by no means locks to get drafted, but regardless declined their invites

lothar98zag
04-06-2009, 02:31 PM
...Interestingly enough, DraftExpress doesn't have Pargo being drafted at all. This must have just happened with a recent update, he's been somewhere in their 2009 draft projections for a couple years now until this development. I don't know if they know something we don't or if they are just basing it off the perception that Jeremy had an off year and didn't help his chances from last year. I dunno, but my feeling is that Jeremy gets drafted.

hmm, he was listed as the last pick in rd 2 a few days ago.

maybe they are just mad they won't be able to see him play when they scout the PIT and instead will have to cover lesser PGs that are less likely to be drafted and therefore less worth the time...?

too far fetched? maybe, maybe not - see this note from this LINK (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Blogging-through-the-Final-Four-Part-One--3164):

Thoughts on the NIT tournament

Since DraftExpress is now based out of New York, we thought we’d spend some time last week scouting some of the top talent in that “other” post-season event, the NIT. Unfortunately, the NCAA decided not to even respond to our credential request, which makes this the extent of our NIT coverage for this year. Our apologies to the “student-athletes” participating.

So since they didn't get courtside seats to the NIT finals they didn't watch the NIT to scout potential draft picks? Seems like watching games is part of their job. I didn't know it had to be courtside...for free...
:rolleyes:

Pleasant Peninsula
04-06-2009, 02:51 PM
So since they didn't get courtside seats to the NIT finals they didn't watch the NIT to scout potential draft picks? Seems like watching games is part of their job. I didn't know it had to be courtside...for free...

You could say that about any working journalist who receives press credentials to a game that is going to be televised.

4AmericasTeam
04-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but what about Josh? No invite? Or is he already considered a late 1st round/early 2nd round lock who has nothing to gain? Just curious:confused:

CDC84
04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
I have a feeling you will see someone pick Josh at the back end of the first round. There just isn't going to be players around him at that time who are as talented and physically gifted as he is.