PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Olynyk named Player of the year in Canada

OZZag
04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
The highly respected Hoop-la Canada website posted its All-Canadian teams the other week, I could not see any mention on this board so I thought I would give everyone a link.

This site is run by Jim Thomas and is based in Ontario, so it is interesting to see them acknowledge a West Coast player with this honour (although he does mentioned that Kelly's dad was based in Ontario at one stage).

http://www.thehoop-la.com/news/the-thomas-report---all-canada-h.s.-selections.html

Note: As Manny did not actually play high school ball this year, I believe that he was not on the running for any of the selections.

With recruits like this, the Zags future is very bright!

ZagNative
04-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Congrats, Kelly! (Thanks, OZ!)

Crusader Rick
04-05-2009, 07:41 PM
And what's even more amazing is that he may be only third in line for expected impact next season. That says a hell of alot about this recruiting class. I can hardly wait to watch these guys play!

tyra
04-05-2009, 07:49 PM
So, the very best high school player in all of Canada is (by seeming consensus of the insiders) going to redshirt next year? That just seems a little strange to me.

CB4
04-05-2009, 08:06 PM
So, the very best high school player in all of Canada is (by seeming consensus of the insiders) going to redshirt next year? That just seems a little strange to me.

The whole redshirt thing is pure speculation by members of this board. We really have no idea what the bench and starting line up is going to look like. I tend to think that Arop, Kong and Kelly are a lot better than people think.

OZZag
04-05-2009, 08:24 PM
IMHO I think that if Austin comes back for his junior year we will be overloaded at the 3/4 position with Austin, Grey, Kong, Harris and Poling all having more experience than KO. If Austin does not come back then Kelly might end up playing.

BTW this board and the Zags are getting to far into my subconcious! Last night I dreamt that Coach Few threw out this lineup to start an exhibition game.

PG: 6'7" Bol Kong
SG: 6'11" KO
SF: 6'11" Austin
PF: 7'0 Rob Sacre
C: 7'5" Big Will

Or was it KO at Pg and Andy at SF with Austin at SG.

Beside being completely bonkers, would that be the tallest starting lineup in D1 history?

webspinnre
04-05-2009, 09:11 PM
The only thing we're fairly certain is that someone will end up redshirting. As to who that will be, we've got no idea. It'll be interesting to see/hear what reports come in as the players show up this summer.

ZagsGoZags
04-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Southern BC is nearby.
It is possible one of our experienced players would have to be bumped to make way, if all the new men are that much better?

CDC84
04-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Kelly is very talented and has a bright future, but he is thin as a rail right now. IF he were to redshirt, it has nothing to do with his abilities as a basketball player....it would be a Andy Poling kind of deal: get him stronger for the long term.

BobZag
04-06-2009, 09:05 AM
And what's even more amazing is that he may be only third in line for expected impact next season. That says a hell of alot about this recruiting class. I can hardly wait to watch these guys play!

Actually, in the short term, Kelly is more like 5th in line to impact next season, behind Elias, Kong, Arop, Dower, Poling, Gibbs... In the long term, Kelly has what it takes to be special. He'll be a wonderful Zag, in due time.

I have heard/read that Kelly (and those around Kelly) actually want him to redshirt so he will be more D1 ready. They realize he needs to fill out and mature and adapt to D1.

Great news about Kelly. Congrats and kudos to him. Well done, Kelly!

ExtremeJim
04-06-2009, 09:24 AM

Maybe "the insiders" are a little skeptical of the talent level of Canadian prep players, based on prior experience with what they were told to expect from P-Mac, Theo Davis, and Rob Sacre (to date,) compared with what actually happened.

I'm sure they are eager to be proven wrong, but it's not as if there weren't a track record, and frankly, it's not that outstanding.

MDABE80
04-06-2009, 10:18 AM
BZ typed........"Elias, Kong, Arop, Dower, Poling, Gibbs" and then add Kelly.An amazing array of talent. Raw but plenty of support for the 5 guys returning. Not sure how Few will get all these new guys to sync. I can see redshirts....kids might need that. Kelly's award is pretty special though. Imagine ALL of Canada!

Jim's right . We need some of these worldbeaters to show us. I hope they will ......we all do. We'll have a good 5 guys as a nucleus next year. Some kids will be ready, some sort of ready and some that just aren't. Few and the staff will be busy figuring this out.

Good award for Kelly though. I don't know of a higher HS basketball honor for a kid.

BobZag
04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Theo actually had fantastic skills and was highly regarded by Texas and other high level schools. I saw him play great in pickup games.

He just lost all the fire to play hoops. His heart wasn't in it. He lost the fire.

UberZagFan
04-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Maybe "the insiders" are a little skeptical of the talent level of Canadian prep players, based on prior experience with what they were told to expect from P-Mac, Theo Davis, and Rob Sacre (to date,) compared with what actually happened.

I'm sure they are eager to be proven wrong, but it's not as if there weren't a track record, and frankly, it's not that outstanding.

Canuck bashing at its best!!! :D

Wasn't Theo originally from the states and wasn't Sacre's parent(s) from the states? That has to mean something, doesn't it?

skan72
04-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Theo was playing high school in America when "insiders" were looking at him, against American competition. The insiders had a chance to see him against the competition they see all other prospects against, but they either (a) messed up bit time in their analysis or (b) he lost his passion as BZ said. I tend to think it is (b).

CB4
04-06-2009, 12:26 PM
In the recruiting world Canada is basically just another state. Every state has it's share of guys that are expected to be stars at the D1 level coming out of high school. Every state also has guys that fly under the radar and become impact players.

A good Canadian player will definitely have a lot of hype in the papers and from the "insiders" due to the fact that not a whole lot of guys make it to solid D1 programs. The papers and sports media don't really have a clue when it comes to basketball since everything is orientated around major junior hockey i.e. Spokane Chiefs. So it's almost natural that when a good basketball player commits to a school they always like to make big news of it, which is why we see so many Canadian players compared to Steve Nash.

It's really hard to tell who is legit and who is a good player because of that. From the guys that have seen Kelly play it sounds like he will have a great future at Gonzaga. I like the fact that those close to him are encouraging him to RS rather than trying to get him to play his freshman year unprepared.

Birddog
04-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Canuck bashing at its best!!!
You need to watch the primer to understand our Canuck Bros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rp9MXoBNL8

OZZag
04-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Marc Trasolini at SCU is a good example of a recent B.C. player to make an impact. I have read that he will find it tougher next year without JB around, but I think that he will have a good career at SCU regardless. I noted yesterday that Findlay Prep from Vegas just beat Powerhouse Oak Hill to win the National Prep tournament. Avery Bradley was the star, but Juniors (and Canadians) Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph both made huge impacts and contributed to the win.

BTW, Theo Davis moved from Toronto to New York to to get better exposure and better competition. It is a shame that his family situation (health of his parents) and other distractions snuffed out what could have been a solid career.

BobZag
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Ozzy, how do Bol and Mangisto compare to Denham Brown? Denham sure delivered at UConn.

OZZag
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Denham was a pure scorer in high school, but as a member of the UConn sides developed into more of a complete player, and prided himself on his performance both sides of the ball. Denham has played ball on both sides of the Atlantic since his selection in the second round by Seattle, but has seemed to be more successful in the development league. This year he had a go with two teams, and produced when on the floor, but both times was released when injured (last spell by the Iowa Energy).

Manny is much more athletic and a better rebounder/defender than Denham at the same stage, but does not currently have the same long ball capability.

Bol is a different player in that he has the ability to play (in high school and JUCO) a variety of different positions (1-4). He is very smooth and in my opinion is a better ball distributor than Denham was at this stage, defense is probably not as strong, but when hot, he can fill the net from the outside. Bol will also be older than Denham when he hit UConn, and has that yuear of JUCO experince under his belt (with a National championship for that one year).

I am sure that the coaching staff are going to have a lot of fun with this group of incoming players, BTW I think that Kelly would definetely have the best hands of the group, and as they say "you can't teach 6'11".

DixieZag
04-07-2009, 05:26 AM
International players, can generally be relied upon to shoot free throws well also. Just one more thing to get me excited.

kitzbuel
04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
International players, can generally be relied upon to shoot free throws well also. Just one more thing to get me excited.
FWIW, Sam Dower is not a slouch from the free throw line. He hit 77% over the last year.

http://www.maxpreps.com/minnesota/basketball/osseo/sam-dower/stats.aspx?athleteid=5aaa4ac7-4918-4f8f-bb07-4683f5cb4ba9&ssid=08e31156-1f2d-4c08-b687-afb41d9f9601&urpath=,local,player

NYCZAG
04-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Wow this kid makes Austin look like Dejuan Blair!-Now starting at small forward SKELETOR!-

guardu
04-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Denham was a pure scorer in high school, but as a member of the UConn sides developed into more of a complete player, and prided himself on his performance both sides of the ball. Denham has played ball on both sides of the Atlantic since his selection in the second round by Seattle, but has seemed to be more successful in the development league. This year he had a go with two teams, and produced when on the floor, but both times was released when injured (last spell by the Iowa Energy).

Manny is much more athletic and a better rebounder/defender than Denham at the same stage, but does not currently have the same long ball capability.

Bol is a different player in that he has the ability to play (in high school and JUCO) a variety of different positions (1-4). He is very smooth and in my opinion is a better ball distributor than Denham was at this stage, defense is probably not as strong, but when hot, he can fill the net from the outside. Bol will also be older than Denham when he hit UConn, and has that yuear of JUCO experince under his belt (with a National championship for that one year).

I am sure that the coaching staff are going to have a lot of fun with this group of incoming players, BTW I think that Kelly would definetely have the best hands of the group, and as they say "you can't teach 6'11".

Will Kong have a full 4 years of eligibility? I've been wondering that since he played JUCO in Canada, but I'm not up on how that translates from Canadian JUCO to NCAA rules. Can anyone clarify this?

zagzealot
04-08-2009, 09:11 AM
obligatory zagzealot bob and doug canadian hoser post...

it's a jelly

http://b9.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01439/95/71/1439391759_s.jpg

spudzag
04-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Will Kong have a full 4 years of eligibility? I've been wondering that since he played JUCO in Canada, but I'm not up on how that translates from Canadian JUCO to NCAA rules. Can anyone clarify this?

3 years is my understanding, the Canadian JUCO counts for a year.

guardu
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM
3 years is my understanding, the Canadian JUCO counts for a year.

Darn!! Thanks spud.