PDA

View Full Version : Who will lead next year?

zagfan07
04-05-2009, 07:19 AM
The Zags lost alot of talent this year between Heytvelt, Pargo, Downs, Ira!, and Andrew. However, I think one of the things the Zags are going to have a tough time replacing is the leadership of Pargo. He was the soul of this year's team and displayed a confidence and swagger we haven't really seen at GU the past 5 years.

We have some great talent returning next year and some great guys coming in, but my question is who is going to step up and be the leader of next year's team? Matt and Steven are most likely going to be the scoring leaders, but their personalities (from what I've seen) aren't the charismatic leader type the Pargo was. They'll undoubtedly lead by example, but I think it really helps a team to have some toughness and edginess on the team when we're taking on the UNC's or UCONN's. Someone who will display that toughness that everyone keeps referring to.

My answer would be Meech. He's never backed down from anyone we've faced, and always seems to be in the middle of the action when things seem to get chippy. He may only be a sophomore next year, but he's going to be able to make up for some of that swagger and confidence that was lost by the '09 class departing.

I could also see Austin stepping up next year and becoming a leader (assuming he returns). I think the light bulb will go on in a game early on in the year and he'll have an outstanding season leading the Zags to victory on more than one ocassion. As soon as he learns not to beat himself up on every mistake he makes, he's going to be the Zags' most versatile and deadly weapon on offense.

Stache
04-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Agreed. Bouldin/Meech. Meech to the public, Bouldin in Locker room. Bouldin MVP.

mainer6
04-05-2009, 11:00 AM
AUstin a leader? I dont think so.. I love Austin to death, and enjoy watching him play a ton, but I personally think he's all about himself and getting to the NBA. I'd be surprised to see him come back, and even if he does, its for himself, and not the team.

I agree with this completely. A lot of folks got bent out of shape when Daye was criticized on his NBA thread. But, I think many folks share your perception that his motivations are based on what is good for him. This may be a mis-conception of who he truely is, but it does seem come up often.

I have my money on Boldin--Meech will add his energy to the mix.

cggonzaga
04-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Meech and Rob hands down. Bouldin to an extent but only when he feels he needs to.

zagfan08
04-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Austin wants to put his name in the draft. I really hope he doesn't sign with an agent, he could definitely use another year.

A leader though? I'm thinking Bouldin and Sacre.

JohnOGU
04-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Meech and Rob, easily. Bouldin just doesnt have the personality. Daye would be ab####ely insane/stupid to hire an agent. His stock dropped A TON this year. Austin if you read these forums, you are only hurting your self should you commit to the draft. Come back...

thebigsmoove
04-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Matt Bouldin is going to be the leader next year. His play and his attitude took over as the season drew to a close. Bouldin to me is going to be similar to a Blake Stepp or a Dan Dickau next year, he may average 20+ points and 5+ assists per game. I wouldnt even be surprised to see him grab honorable mention all american honors, at least WCC poy and 1st team honors...

Robert Sacre still is largely unproven, hopefully he can turn the corner and become productive and stay healthy. And Meech is going to handle the point guard duties, but he may have some time learning to play at this level every night...

MDABE80
04-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Meech is a Soph and so is Rob. Neither tested. Senior leadership is needed. Matt looks to be a mature, strong experienced kid. WIth all the new faces coming in, my guess is that it'll be experience they look to for leadership. Feisty as this Frosh Meech is, he's a bit green but does function as a "fired up" guy.
Austin seems to be a friendly kid but is aloof in some ways. Matt's the only choice. Few feels that way too I bet.

jim77
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Bouldin

cggonzaga
04-06-2009, 03:48 PM
It's not Bouldin's personality. He will definitely be the leader by example but not the "rah rah", get the guys fired up leader. Meech is clearly mature beyond his years. He may be a sophomore but I personally believe he will go down as one of GU's all time great leaders. Rob is also only a sophomore but he's been in the program 3 years now. Both Meech and Rob work their butts off and have the personalities to be the vocal leaders.

Reborn
04-07-2009, 08:19 AM
If Austin returns, I'll say it's his team. He will be the fire starter. And he will be the one to average 20+ a game. I think if he comes back he'll be first team All American. He's that good folks. He's one that has just taken time to mature. Next year is his coming out year for sure.

dpouley
04-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Bouldin

I agree...it needs to be and will be Bouldin.

MDABE80
04-07-2009, 08:31 AM
It's not Bouldin's personality. He will definitely be the leader by example but not the "rah rah", get the guys fired up leader. Meech is clearly mature beyond his years. He may be a sophomore but I personally believe he will go down as one of GU's all time great leaders. Rob is also only a sophomore but he's been in the program 3 years now. Both Meech and Rob work their butts off and have the personalities to be the vocal leaders.

SO Sorenson was the leader this year? He was the greatest rah rah, fire up the squad kid I've seen in years. Hell he would turn carwheels for this team. He wasn't a leader though. AND this is the point. and this is also why Matt is the choice. Matt is well liked and he has seniority. Biggest thing is that he performs. THAT's what matters.

bartruff1
04-07-2009, 08:38 AM
about 75% of this year....thank god....Matty is the MAN

cggonzaga
04-07-2009, 09:08 AM
SO Sorenson ws the leder this year? He ws tters.he greatest rh rah, fire up the squad kid I've seen in years. Hell he would turn carwheels for this team. He wasn't a leader though. AND this is the point. and this is also why Matt is the choice. Matt is well liked and he has seniority. Biggest thing is that he performs. THAT's what matters.

I think you're missing my point. Yes, Bouldin is the senior, is well liked and has been through the wars. Yes, he will be the guy the other guys look up to and he will lead by example. By your thinking however it seems to me you're saying he's the leader because he's a senior. What he is not however is the vocal leader ala Pargo or Downs. It's not his personality. Obviously I don't believe Sorenson was the leader this year, although probably more than some would think, because it does have to come from somebody that has proven it in games. Meech has proven it through his toughness and never back down mentality. He also has a game winner in an NCAA tournament game and if you don't think that goes a ways you're crazy. Meech is vocal and mature beyond his years and will play a very key role on next year's team. Rob is a guy that also has the peronsality and like I said before has been here for 3 years now. No maybe he hasn't proven himself in games yet but you better believe all those guys on the team see how hard he works to get to that point. And as long as he's healthy he will play a key role next year as well.

p.s. If you don't think it's necessary to have a "rah rah" pump the guys up type leader then please look at the final 16 teams left standing this year. The teams that didn't have that guy did have that kind of coach. We all know that isn't Mark Few's strong point so we need that fiery peronality on the court.

cjm720
04-07-2009, 09:15 AM
I say coach Few and staff will lead this team! And he has a heck of a challenge with all the young players fighting for PT.

On the floor, Bouldin and our only true PG, Meech. That said, I think there will be plenty of contributors that lead in different ways.

Should be fun to see it play out. Go Zags!!!

kclubfounder
04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Bouldin. Anyone watch Friday Night Lights? He is our Tim Riggins. The younger guys respect him and look to him. And his game is awesome. It isn't always about who has the loudest mouth.

ZagLawGrad
04-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Bouldin. Anyone watch Friday Night Lights? He is our Tim Riggins. The younger guys respect him and look to him. And his game is awesome. It isn't always about who has the loudest mouth.

LOL. Riggins is a drunk, hates school and is lazy to boot. But he can play ball.

kclubfounder
04-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Only talkin' about when the uniform is on. Lets don't get too deep here.

Thomas_Sutpen
04-07-2009, 07:58 PM
If Austin returns, I'll say it's his team. He will be the fire starter. And he will be the one to average 20+ a game. I think if he comes back he'll be first team All American. He's that good folks. He's one that has just taken time to mature. Next year is his coming out year for sure.

Wow--you seem to have tremendous faith in Daye's potential.

I hope you're right about his scoring average, but from what I've seen, Daye is too immature to provide team leadership. He needs guidance from others in order to be successful.

Bouldin is next year's leader, for the reasons others on the thread have stated.

NYCZAG
04-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Mark Few is as he is every year and they will all fall in line just like they do every year-New Faces, New Attitudes but with one common goal-I think this team will be a lot like Blake's last year but we shall see I hope we are pleasantly surprised and this team is amazing but we lost a lot in the three seniors-