PDA

View Full Version : Gray Pride

skan72
04-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I am unsure why posters in threads about our starting line for next year are predicting Gray will not start.

I am sorry, but have you been watching this kid? Did you see that stunning performance against Davidson last year? Did you see him single-handedly help us claw to within 9 against UNC? Are you seriously entertaining the thought that he will be coming off the bench again next year? Have you watched him in scrimmages in the summer?

The kid can flat out shoot from anywhere. He has a beautiful stroke, with great quickness and elevation on it. His handle also is very nice, he shows a good display of moves to attack the basket. He is ATHLETIC, not as athletic as Meech, but last summer I saw him take one dribble from the three point line, pick the ball up and then finish on the OTHER SIDE OF THE HOOP with an extremely high off the glass reverse lay in. Did I mention he is quick? He can guard other teams good guards because of this. He gets after it and works very hard on his game, and while he appears to be quiet, he has the killer instinct. You can just tell, he WANTS it.

There is no question in my mind, not an ounce of doubt: Steven Gray will start next year.

End of story.

rawkmandale
04-04-2009, 10:00 PM
He can also hit pressure free throws, as shown in his freshman year. I think next year is Steven's coming out party. He'll realize he is a leader on this team, not the "jokester kid." I really think he will step up big time. He seems personally close to Rob Sacre - those two could have monster years as inside/outside buddies.

Nevtelen
04-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Gray absolutely has the potential to be everything you describe. However, with a few exceptions, he drifted in games this season, took bad 3s (especially towards the end of the season), didn't attack, didn't play great D, was fine but mediocre at the stripe, and settled for the path of least resistance most of the time.

He has the potential to be amazing - he was great in the UConn game this season and the Davidson game the season before. He had a couple other decent games, but nothing else really insipring. I truly hope he steps up in his junior year, but I'd wait to see whether he does before starting him. Also, there's the issue of having a 3 guard line-up with him, Meech, and Bouldin has the starters, which I think does a disservice to the team in that it creates bad match-ups generally. Just my opinion.

spudzag
04-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Next year's inital starting line up will most likely be the returning players. Gray will without a doubt be an initital starter. I think he has earned that chance. And he was a starter for part of the year this year when he earned the time. Forturnately for the team this year Micah found the motivation to win back the starting spot.

As the season progresses it's my opinion that you have to earn miniutes in the floor. It looks like there will be intense competion from Arop, Gibbs for minutes at 2, and lots of competion at the 3 spot which will have a direct effect on the 2 spot. So we'll see. I would like to see him earn the time.

MedZag
04-05-2009, 09:20 AM
People forget Matty had a bit of a regression his sophomore year as well. Well, I don't think "regression" is the right word, but he didn't have as big of an impact as many predicted. I think Gray suffered from some of the same ilk this year, and had the disadvantage of doing it off the bench since we were such a veteran loaded squad.

Look at how Bouldin responded this year. Do not underestimate the power of a full offseason of hard work for Steven.

skan72
04-05-2009, 11:02 AM
People forget Matty had a bit of a regression his sophomore year as well. Well, I don't think "regression" is the right word, but he didn't have as big of an impact as many predicted. I think Gray suffered from some of the same ilk this year, and had the disadvantage of doing it off the bench since we were such a veteran loaded squad.

Look at how Bouldin responded this year. Do not underestimate the power of a full offseason of hard work for Steven.

Well said.

hoopster777
04-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Gray absolutely has the potential to be everything you describe. However, with a few exceptions, he drifted in games this season, took bad 3s (especially towards the end of the season), didn't attack, didn't play great D, was fine but mediocre at the stripe, and settled for the path of least resistance most of the time.

He has the potential to be amazing - he was great in the UConn game this season and the Davidson game the season before. He had a couple other decent games, but nothing else really insipring. I truly hope he steps up in his junior year, but I'd wait to see whether he does before starting him. Also, there's the issue of having a 3 guard line-up with him, Meech, and Bouldin has the starters, which I think does a disservice to the team in that it creates bad match-ups generally. Just my opinion.

When he started this year, there was a 3 guard lineup.

LynetteG
04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
If I needed a player to make a clutch play, with the except of Matty, my choice, hands down, would be Gray. I can handle his occasional misses much more than any other player on the team, because I know he will eventually connect in a big way. He is composed and doesn't get down on himself when he is having an off night. He's very even-keeled, and I love that about him. The 2 FTs he made to win the game as a freshman were what clinched it for me. GRAY IS THE MAN!~

cjm720
04-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Good post, Skan. Agree 100! Go Steven and Go Zags!!

75Zag
04-06-2009, 09:23 AM
My wife took me to a Gray Pride parade in Portland the other day. Of course my hearing is not what it was 30 years ago, but I did not see the connection between all the guys in leather pants and Gray, but that was just me.

stevet75
04-06-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry to hear that your wife is gray.

krozman
04-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Not to mention all the grays in the military. Snipers from afar!

Nevtelen
04-06-2009, 12:16 PM

And I don't think it served the team particularly well, either. Nor did it when that happened the previous season, either. JMO.

lothar98zag
04-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

DADoZAG
04-06-2009, 01:09 PM
I am unsure why posters in threads about our starting line for next year are predicting Gray will not start.

I am sorry, but have you been watching this kid? Did you see that stunning performance against Davidson last year? Did you see him single-handedly help us claw to within 9 against UNC? Are you seriously entertaining the thought that he will be coming off the bench again next year? Have you watched him in scrimmages in the summer?

My prognostication that Mr. Gray might be coming off the bench was not due to the skill set that he brings. It's about the motor driving the skill set. He seems too content (if there is such a thing).

November is a long time away for these young men. For now, it's all a guess, isn't it?

UberZagFan
04-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Most certainly not.

BobZag
04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Few has probably already had postseason meetings with players and the team in general, and Few has most likely asked/challenged Steven to learn and condition himself to step his game up and deliver 15ppg next season. (I just used 15ppg as an example, it's doubtful Few puts an exact number out.)

But Steven will be an upperclassman. No more time spent in the shadows or deferring to elders,. Time to step up every game. Steven knows this. I believe he will.

Reborn
04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I think Steven Gray is going to be a great #2 guard at GU. He is highly skilled and very athletic. He was a role player this year, and I felt he played it great. Next year he will be a roll player too....score 15 pts+ a game:D . This guy can leap. HE is well built, and had the best assist to turnover ratio of anyone on the team this year. He is a good rebounder and defender. He will average more than Jeremy did this year.

kitzbuel
04-07-2009, 08:42 AM
With (potentially) Daye, Sacre and Poling there will be little need for a routine 3 guard lineup. With Bol Kong and Sam Dower as backups, there should be ample depth to stay big.

BobZag
04-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Few has probably already had postseason meetings with players and the team in general, and Few has most likely asked/challenged Steven to learn and condition himself to step his game up and deliver 15ppg next season. (I just used 15ppg as an example, it's doubtful Few puts an exact number out.)

But Steven will be an upperclassman. No more time spent in the shadows or deferring to elders,. Time to step up every game. Steven knows this. I believe he will.

Btw, I think Few does this with every Zag, especially Daye, Meech, Matt and Rob. With so many new guys next year, the "veterans" must rise to the challenge and take on bigger roles.

Zag79
04-07-2009, 11:03 PM

so matt wont start then because in 75% of our big OOC games he didnt show up? its funny to read opinions created by posters. i know you know your stuff nev, but gray played well when he was in. he lost PT due to micah stepping it up BIG time and becoming the player we all knew he could. gray will be one of the upper classmen next year and i see him starting no doubt, and contributing in more ways than most guys.

Nevtelen
04-08-2009, 06:18 AM
so matt wont start then because in 75% of our big OOC games he didnt show up? its funny to read opinions created by posters. i know you know your stuff nev, but gray played well when he was in. he lost PT due to micah stepping it up BIG time and becoming the player we all knew he could. gray will be one of the upper classmen next year and i see him starting no doubt, and contributing in more ways than most guys.

I think if you look at the body of work over the season, I think Gray and Bouldin are kind of mirror images - Bouldin was fantastic in, say, 80% of the games he played in and had poor games the other 20%. Gray played very well in 20% of the games he was in and coasted in many of the rest IMO. Some of that had to do with not getting as much PT, but I do think there was a reason Micah regained the starting job over Gray and it didn't completely have to do with Micah.

That said, I do tend to think he'll really step up this next year and be a big part of the offense as well as a solid defender. He certainly has the ability to, no question.

bballbeachbum
04-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Down the stretch, Steven was a terrific perimeter defender and battler. The guy brought serious energy off the bench. After his middle season low (energy, production, everything), he turned it around, and he and Micah were athletic animals out there. He consistently cut off dribble penetration one on one. In fact, while Meech got a lot of the credit vs. Mendez-Valdez, and deservedly so, Steven deserved it for that one too imo (you can still rewatch all those games on cbs' website).

As he continues to mature, he will become more consistent with it, and he must for us to party next year.

As BZ said, now being an upper classmen, no more deferring. I like his developing mid range game; he can get that shot when he wants, and although it didn't drop as much as it will, I believe he'll be told to get it as often as he can, which will be a change from this year's deferrals; once he missed that shot in a game, he seemed to stop taking it...that will change.

I believe he's going to be our best player next year, along with Matt, because he will be asked to be that player, so he'll step up. Steven really strikes me as a team guy who responds to the challenges presented before him and does what the team needs from him...he knows how to step up, very cool.

We'll see.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!