PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree:

NYCZAG
04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
We ran into the best team in this tournament by leaps and bounds-They aren't even on tonight and they are running away with it-Too many weapons to much speed too much size too much-Wow I am wishing we got the Louisville or Pitt Bracket-

HOOTER
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
No one, and I mean no one, can beat UNC right now. They will win it all, no question. It strangely makes me feel better knowing we didn't stand a snowballs chance of beating them in the sweet 16. It was a tough draw for us, but that's the way it goes.

zagco
04-04-2009, 07:19 PM
With about 4 minutes to go, North Carolina is shooting just over 40% from the field and just over 50% from the 3--pretty dang good if you account for the 11-21 from 3 range. However, they are not shooting free throws real well, mainly due to Lawson. The real story is how BAD Villanova has been shooting (32% from the field, 15% from the 3). Just awful. North Carolina is winning this game with defense and a pretty good offense, but it really has stayed about the same since Carolina's early run, in terms of the spread.

NYCZAG
04-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I would of much rather played PITT, LOUISVILLE or Uconn which I can say now after the fact but I think I always felt that way-

CDC84
04-04-2009, 07:47 PM
As good as UNC played defensively, they are also fortunate to a certain degree. Villanova missed about 8-10 shots in the 2nd half right near the rim that they would make 90%+ of the time.

mainer6
04-04-2009, 08:08 PM
We ran into the best team in this tournament by leaps and bounds-They aren't even on tonight and they are running away with it-Too many weapons to much speed too much size too much-Wow I am wishing we got the Louisville or Pitt Bracket-

I will agree once UNC wins it all. If MSU beats them, then this whole "UNC is unbeatable" story we GU fans have been nursing will shatter. I really do hope UNC looks as good Monday as they have all tournament--not for UNC's sake but for all GU fans' self esteems.

GU69
04-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I suppose it is just my favoritism showing ... but I thought that North Carolina played its best game against Gonzaga.

They overwhelmed Oklahoma and Villanova too, but I think that GU would have had a better chance if they had gotten them on those days because I didn't think NC was quite as "on" in those games.

HOOTER
04-04-2009, 08:21 PM
I really do hope UNC looks as good Monday as they have all tournament--not for UNC's sake but for all GU fans' self esteems.

If UNC loses to Michigan State I will be no less proud of the Zags and their performance this season. We had a solid season and made it to the sweet 16. Although going deeper into the tourney would have been great, overall I'm pleased with the way the season unfolded and the outcome of Monday nights game will have no affect on that.

4AmericasTeam
04-05-2009, 05:17 AM
We got a little bit of bad luck of the draw by having to play UNC in Memphis. They were virtually unbeatable that night and were more of the same against Villanova. For us, would have probably been a closer game and maybe a win against anyone else. IMO

bballbeachbum
04-05-2009, 07:12 AM
If UNC loses to Michigan State I will be no less proud of the Zags and their performance this season. We had a solid season and made it to the sweet 16. Although going deeper into the tourney would have been great, overall I'm pleased with the way the season unfolded and the outcome of Monday nights game will have no affect on that.

Definitely. I think we wrote our own story this year, a key year in this program's development, dare I say. If we flamed out in the first round again, Spokane would be a mighty tight place right now, all kinds of ire and talk fueling stuff, Oregon and Arizona making their play amidst a different environment than the one Meech's shot propelled us to.

But it didn't happen like that.

So now instead there's a Sweet 16 platform for the program and next year's team from which to launch.

And GO Spartans! Izzo is awesome. His players really lay out for him, and why not.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

BobZag
04-05-2009, 09:26 AM

We'll see if they're the best on Monday. Sparty is peaking. And the huge crowd will be roaring for MSU.

FuManShoes
04-05-2009, 09:27 AM
I will agree once UNC wins it all. If MSU beats them, then this whole "UNC is unbeatable" story we GU fans have been nursing will shatter.

I don't think that's how it works. I still maintain UNC played at a level that was nearly unstoppable in the Sweet 16, then followed it up with similar dominance in the Elite 8 and apparently had it going again yesterday. Does that mean that if they lay an egg Monday those earlier performances are nullified and UNC wasn't as good as they seemed? No. How would one game in unfriendly confines prove that? We now have 5 games from UNC in the tourney that they have won by an average of 20.8 points. And their dismantling of the 8th, 13th, 14th strongest teams according to Pomeroy leads me to believe they are simply in another league when they have it going. The Zags gave UNC some easy looks and turnovers in the Sweet 16 that helped build that margin of victory, but UNC did plenty on their own to warrant the "wow" factor. I'm not sure how their success or failure Monday takes away from what they did a week ago. Can't we just recognize that a great UNC squad beat a very good GU squad?

jim77
04-06-2009, 08:10 AM
UNC is going down tonight. Why? Cause MSU is tougher.

The UNC transition game is gonna be slowed down...then UNC will be forced to play half-court ball. Think ty and Elliington will light MSU up from 3 point land? Not gonna happen, why? Cause MSU's defense starts 5 feet on the other side of the 3 line. UNC, (with the exception of Hansbrough) likes to have its spacing. MSU is not gonna give that, which wil make UNC very unconfortable. Taking people out of their comfort zone is what MSU basketball is all about.

As far as the ZAGS/UNC game goes, we simply weren't gonna mx it up with them. We let them play their game because we were unwilling or unable to get physical with them. I don't know how many tmes we would take a shot and we didn't have a rebounder within 6 or 8 feet of the basket. You aren't gonna finnesee you're way to a natonal championship, period. We should have had IRA in way earlier as we were getting killed physically. Sometimes you just plain need some guys who want to mix it up....for the most part we aren't that type of team. Hopefully, Rob can give us that presence next year.

GO MSU.