PDA

View Full Version : The need for a sleeve?

baitcast
04-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Would someone plz enlighten me,seems the need for one this year has gone up?
Rob in nowhere AZ.

zagfan07
04-04-2009, 07:09 AM
It all started with Allen Iverson a few years back who claimed it helped his elbow pain. I think the original intent was to help with shooter's elbow (same as tennis elbow), but many of the ones I've seen recently have padding on the end of the elbow.

As far as I'm concerned, they don't really do anything and many doctors have said there is no advantage to wearing one. Maybe if you have an elbow bruise, the ones with padding on them would help a bit. It's just some good marketing by Under Armor and Nike to get players to wear them so they can sell the things to kids who want to look like their heroes.

baitcast
04-04-2009, 07:25 AM
I think its being trendy myself,these guys aren,t little kiddies,none of the Zags seem to need them:)
Rob

MedZag
04-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Nike and Under Armour have really been pushing the "athletes as warriors" angle for a while now. From the whole Under Armour phenomenon to the "diamond plating" on the shoulder of the UofO football uniforms to the elbow pads in basketball.

Zag365
04-04-2009, 08:47 AM
uh, let's see, where do we start. This is a fashion statement of the moment. Successor to headbands, baggy shorts/pantaloons, wrist bands, and head-shaved symbols/names. Closely related to eyeblack in football - gotta to love the stick-on kind, very necessary. If basketball players could figure out how to wear shades, I'm sure some would do it.

gamagin
04-04-2009, 08:57 AM
tattoo is the answer.

Radbooks
04-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Watching the All-star game yesterday they showed one of the kids wearing a mouthpiece that had UCLA printed on it. I'm sure we'll see Nike coming out with ones real soon - if they don't sell them already! :D

Pargo the Destroyer
04-04-2009, 09:55 AM
I wear an Under Armour sleeve when I play softball, helps keep the cannon loose in between innings.

Birddog
04-04-2009, 10:33 AM
tattoo is the answer.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41969A1SVQL._AA280_.jpg

They are actually arm warmers for cycling.

LongIslandZagFan
04-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Speaking as someone who coaches youth soccer... UnderArmor is a necessity when the weather is cold. Nothing is less restricting that still keeps the kids warm. My kids have been on the field in 40 degree weather and have been comfortable.

Now what does this have to do with the sleeves? Nothing. Just thought I'd say that there are some redeeming values to the stuff as well.

BTW... if your kids are in youth soccer... you have my sympathies... it never ends... it never ever ever never ever ends!!!

bballguy
04-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Try having two daughters in gymnastics. The same music and the same routines for 60 girls. I use to wake in a cold sweat with that stupid piano music going on in my head.

75Zag
04-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Sleeves save tens of thousands of boxes of Kleenex (R) tissues every year. Wear a sleeve, save a tree.

BobZag
04-04-2009, 02:19 PM
I want a sleeve.

MedZag
04-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Speaking as someone who coaches youth soccer... UnderArmor is a necessity when the weather is cold. Nothing is less restricting that still keeps the kids warm. My kids have been on the field in 40 degree weather and have been comfortable.

Now what does this have to do with the sleeves? Nothing. Just thought I'd say that there are some redeeming values to the stuff as well.

BTW... if your kids are in youth soccer... you have my sympathies... it never ends... it never ever ever never ever ends!!!

Oh yes, the success of Under Armour is very much a result of its fantastic usefulness. Swore by it in football, especially during the November playoffs.

But you have to admit its growing appeal has much to do with UA's push of the whole "we must protect this house" bad-buttocks mentality thats pervasive in its advertisement. Kids (and adults) who are athletes enjoy feeling like a badass when they compete.

zagfan07
04-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I just saw UNC's band members wearing sleeves. Enough said...

zagco
04-04-2009, 05:40 PM
The more gear, the better.

MotoZag
04-05-2009, 12:04 AM
uh, let's see, where do we start. This is a fashion statement of the moment. Successor to headbands, baggy shorts/pantaloons, wrist bands, and head-shaved symbols/names. Closely related to eyeblack in football - gotta to love the stick-on kind, very necessary. If basketball players could figure out how to wear shades, I'm sure some would do it.

The eyeblack is for anti-glare, whether it be the grease or stick-on kind. Now, getting customized stickers that have your initials or some other outlandish remark on them, that's just over the top :)

jbslicer
04-05-2009, 05:13 AM
I want a sleeve of Pro V-1's.

Rangerzag
04-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Fashion is circular. Is it time for the glove to return ;^)

http://photosthatchangedtheworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/black-power-salute.jpg

:jk: