PDA

View Full Version : Heytvelt Leads All-Star Team to Win

Angelo Roncalli
04-03-2009, 04:07 PM
DETROIT (AP) Gonzaga's Josh Heytvelt hit the winning 3-pointer in the final minute, scored 17 points and grabbed 11 rebounds to lead the Reese's All-Stars to a 105-100 win over Hershey's All-Stars in a college senior All-Star game on Friday night.

Tyrese Rice scored 24 points and Marcus Landry had 14 for the winners in a game of college seniors played on the same court as the Final Four.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gyOTBC7Ocq63hFcOBQRucf_IUfPwD97B93I04

JohnOGU
04-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Atta baby, Josh!! Thats so good to hear. This will make his stock rise a lot i think. Awesome news. Was this televised?

lothar98zag
04-03-2009, 04:21 PM
...Was this televised?
It was on CBS College Sports and it appears the game will be replayed in the middle of the night. (check local listings, etc)

mendiant
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Wish I could have seen that...

Way to go Josh!

Great way to start your post-college carreer;)

love,
mendiant

ZagManFan
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
DVR'd, but good to hear. Can't wait to watch it tonight

misszigzag
04-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Way to go Josh! He had a few nice plays out there today, including a monster block (in my opinion was incorrectly called a foul).

All this with a pair of shorts that were way too big. I really thought he was going to lose them :p

Go Josh, can't wait to watch you on the next level!

Angelo Roncalli
04-03-2009, 05:00 PM
DETROIT (AP) - Gonzaga senior Josh Heytvelt hit the winning 3-pointer in the final minute, scored 17 points and grabbed 11 rebounds to lead the Reese's All-Stars to a 105-100 win over Hershey's All-Stars in the Hershey's College All-Star Game sponsored by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

Heytvelt went 7-for-10 from the field, including 3-for-5 from 3-point range. He also dished out four assists and had one block and one steal.

MDABE80
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
As I sit here reocvering from sinus surgery, I watched the game. I'm surprised to see that Joshhad 11 boards. Points and shooting yes. 11 boards though???` When the other watch this game, fill mein. Overall nice game though. Reminded me of a ragtag group of barnstormers. Josh looked fine. 11 rebounds? I didn't notice anything different from his final year though.

ZagMan in Philly
04-03-2009, 06:47 PM
As I sit here reocvering from sinus surgery, I watched the game. I'm surprised to see that Joshhad 11 boards. Points and shooting yes. 11 boards though???` When the other watch this game, fill mein. Overall nice game though. Reminded me of a ragtag group of barnstormers. Josh looked fine. 11 rebounds? I didn't notice anything different from his final year though.

Doc, I hope you are recovering well.
I missed the game on T.V.
Found out that it will be replay at 6am eastern Saturday. I will stream it at that time, so that the game will be on archives at this channel:

http://www.justin.tv/gonzaga_basketball

MDABE80
04-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Zagman it was a fun game to watch. Since my anesthesia hasn't worn off yet, I'm not sure of anything just yet!!!! Josh shot well .......like he did this past year. The boards though....I just must have sloughed off on my appreciation. Certainly nothing like he was underneath soaring high though.....

Que it up when you have it.

Zagineer
04-03-2009, 08:24 PM
It was on CBS College Sports and it appears the game will be replayed in the middle of the night. (check local listings, etc)

In the Seattle area on Comcast, that would be channel 412 at 3:00am - 5:00 am Saturday morning.

Ugh. I was hoping it would have been earlier. Time to set the DVR.

ZagNative
04-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Haven't seen this posted yet: Box Score (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=697&SPSID=11898&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=3706884)

TrueLiz
04-03-2009, 09:11 PM
So I found the box score from the game right away on the NDSU Bison page (I figured with the flooding issues up in Fargo, they'd be excited to post something good about PG Ben Woodside playing in this game) but I can't find the play-by-play posted anywhere online. Has anyone seen a play-by-play for this one (I use those all the time like the ones the Zags have on their site when I make my little personal highlight videos!)

demian
04-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I was at Ford Field today and watched Heytveld live. Watching the game live I have to say I was totally impressed with Heytvelt. It was sure neat to see him playing in that great big arena. Man he has come a long way since two years ago. Great story. He played great I thought. He was by far the best big man on the court. In person he looked to be completely out jumping everybody for rebounds. He had two great plays on defense both on breakaway plays for the other team that he chased from behind and blocked, one was called a goaltend and the next they called a foul on him, which was a lousy call and everyone at the game knew it. He also had a nice shot block of Diamond Simpson in the first half. I know he wasnt playing against any all americans but he still had a very impressive showing. The Gonzaga boys represented themselves quite well here at the Final Four Festivities. On a side note Aaron Baynes looked very good for the other team. Any way I am glad I got to see Josh Heytvelt one more time in person in a collegiate atmosphere. Who knows what is next for him but good luck to him and Pargo, Downs, Ira, Sorenson in whatever is next in life.

BSUBronco74
04-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Josh had a fine game, went 3-5 from outside the arc (along with 4 fouls) in 20 minutes of play. Big John Bryant pulled down 12 boards alongside Josh's 11.

Orlando Mendez Valdes was 1-7 from the field, shot 6 treys and hit only one, for total of 3 pts. I guess he's a hot/cold shooter, and he was frigid in this one. He sure was unconscious against the Zags though.

Gonezagaga
04-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Josh had a fine game, went 3-5 from outside the arc (along with 4 fouls) in 20 minutes of play.

I think the 4 fouls are an important stat in this boxscore. This tells me that Josh was going all out the entire time he was in and not worrying about foul trouble. With GU he had to play a little more passively because against good compettition there just weren't any true options to back him up.

Once again this points to how improtant Rob Sacre would have been this season. Even if Sacre would have only averaged 5pts and 4 boards a game for the entire season, his 5 extra fouls a game would have totally freed Josh to play more aggresssively. Look at last nights boxscore- 17pts 11 rbs 4 fouls 20min. If GU could have gotten 24 minutes from an aggressive Josh they would have been much better off than getting 31 min. from a passive Josh.

BoZarth
04-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Still amazes me that posters on this board can still find reason to criticize one of our Zags. Or is it Josh?

This was an exhibition game.

Why are you a fan of Gonzaga?

Watched the game and he was the the best big man on the court. There were some future NBAers in the game too.

Good job Josh!

Go Zags!!!!

bballbeachbum
04-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Found out that it will be replay at 6am eastern Saturday. I will stream it at that time, so that the game will be on archives at this channel:

Hey ZagMan, thanks for archiving the game, but I can't find it on your site. Help please!!!

Looking forward to watching it. Thanks ZagMan.

Gonezagaga
04-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Still amazes me that posters on this board can still find reason to criticize one of our Zags.

Bozarth, I hope that you don't think that I was being critical of Josh in any way. He was my favorite Zag on this years team. My point was that Josh had to give up some of his aggressiveness to better serve the team. Probably at the direction of the staff. Defensively GU could not afford to be without him for any extended stretches. If Sacre had been available I think we would have seen a much more aggressive Heytvelt the whole year and he probably would have posted even better numbers.

MDABE80
04-04-2009, 01:57 PM
He should have worked like that for us. Not being critical but even if I am.so what? His season is over. SO is ours. Josh will always have special meaning here at GU. His off the court work likely will be far more important than anything he did on the court. He wins both ways........doesn't get batter.

The issue is always going to be how a kid this big and athletic didn't play tough when we clearly had a big man need and role defined. Power forward who wanted ot be a 3 or 2. Might get away with it in the pros. Few had little choice but to play him. I can tell you this though......if there was another kid with the same skills and size BUT worked his game under the boards, the other kid would have started. Unless you didn't notice, GU was absolutely killed on the boards. We needed a tough kid under there. .....just my opinion. And this comes from a Josh supporter. I love the kid and wish him the best. WHast we saw him do yesterday is what he might have done all year. I'm the pro scouts liked him..which is what he wants.....

Hard to ever forget ZERO rebounds in the UNC game. Hard to forget NO inside presence in the UNC game. These are facts and not opinions....and they are indisputable. I'm done.........

zag buddy
04-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Keep taking your medicine MD

jazzdelmar
04-04-2009, 02:29 PM
He should have worked like that for us. Not being critical but even if I am.so what? His season is over. SO is ours. Josh will always have special meaning here at GU. His off the court work likely will be far more important than anything he did on the court. He wins both ways........doesn't get batter.

The issue is always going to be how a kid this big and athletic didn't play tough when we clearly had a big man need and role defined. Power forward who wanted ot be a 3 or 2. Might get away with it in the pros. Few had little choice but to play him. I can tell you this though......if there was another kid with the same skills and size BUT worked his game under the boards, the other kid would have started. Unless you didn't notice, GU was absolutely killed on the boards. We needed a tough kid under there. .....just my opinion. And this comes from a Josh supporter. I love the kid and wish him the best. WHast we saw him do yesterday is what he might have done all year. I'm the pro scouts liked him..which is what he wants.....

Hard to ever forget ZERO rebounds in the UNC game. Hard to forget NO inside presence in the UNC game. These are facts and not opinions....and they are indisputable. I'm done.........

Amen, Doc....but he is history now......#1 of an underachieving bunch....

FuManShoes
04-04-2009, 02:35 PM

For God's sake, give it a rest! It's over, they didn't bring you guys bragging rights in the office. So what. They played their ####ing hearts out - Josh included. Funny how so many of you forgot he was basically GU's only offense the first 10 minutes of that game. So he never became Kevin Garnett for GU. Not every 6'11" guy is built that way, physically or emotionally. Fact remains GU ran into and lost to a BETTER team. If you wanna disparage GU for "underachieving," you might as well through super stud Blake Griffin and his bunch of underachievers in there, too, because UNC made them look just as silly.

bballbeachbum
04-04-2009, 02:45 PM

wow jazz, that is bitter...just determined to try and regain something you lost when you bagged on this team, on Josh, on Jeremy? you were wrong...you could sac up to that, but I'll look for a little red response instead

nice response from Josh in this one after getting thumped by Carolina, glad for him

Once and Future Zag
04-04-2009, 03:00 PM
If we had ever had a starting-quality Center so Josh didn't have play out of position virtually his entire career... I'm sure the numbers would be a little different. The humility he presented his junior and senior years in doing his damnedest to be what the team needed - a center - is amazing.

Asking Josh to be a center as his primary job is like asking Micah to be a starting PG. Believe me, there's not a single NBA team that has him on their board as a center for the draft.

So calling a guy a #1 underachiever for playing out of position as a starter on a Sweet Sixteen quality team - and putting up quite respectable numbers - is pretty weaksauce IMO.

jazzdelmar
04-04-2009, 03:12 PM
pollies: "underachieving" was used as a relative term, not an absolute slam on JH's performance....thing is, he cd have been so much more effective for the Zags if a lot of other things were different...same can be said for MD, one of my faves, who was mis and ill-used IMO for most of his Zagcareer........I 2nd doc in praise of Josh the person, however...it wd seem thats a whole lot more imp than pts and rebs anyway...............keep the red reps and salacious comments coming...

bballbeachbum
04-04-2009, 03:34 PM
nothing salacious jazz, just the truth...you missed out on a great ride, opting to pull the chord and be bitter. That must suck right now.

pollies? :lmao: that was funny, so thanks for that at least

jazzdelmar
04-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Can you guys please tell me how you would have used Micah and Josh if you were Mark Few? Please, Its killing me to know how YOU would have done things... I dont understand how you can blame Mark Few for this. Im serious, I want to know your takes.

serious quest deserves serious answer......heres my view (borne of my vast experience as a CYO coach....:) :

downs: wd have played him on top in a 131 or 122 zone...given him ownership of that responsibility..on a steal he wd have been in perfect position to score..wd have started him all yr and given him lots more mins....run some plays for him.....most imp of all: wd not have pulled him so fast after a mistake (he got the quickest hook on the team).....in general, have his back more

josh: let him play his natural position, whether thats 3 or 4.....he is what he is, a swift wing not a back to the basket JP type.....wd have gone without a traditional center...spread the floor.....daye and downs were GUs best rebounders anyway.....let Josh play top of the key......just mix it up, break the mold.....Nova does ok with that.......

OT: dreadfully boring first half...only excitement: the shoving match....clark kellogg at his mumbly worse....pls, save us nova.....hopefully this is calhouns (forced) valedictory.....bye bye, Convictnecticut!!!

RenoZag
04-04-2009, 06:43 PM
OT: dreadfully boring first half...only excitement: the shoving match....clark kellogg at his mumbly worse....pls, save us nova.....hopefully this is calhouns (forced) valedictory.....bye bye, Convictnecticut!!!

Nova is not looking up to the task early on. . .

GonzagaGurl08
04-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I just saw that on my homepagethat JH hit the winning 3 pointer!!! Thanks to ZagMan for DVR'ing it when it re airs and putting it on the web. I look forward to seeing it.

BoZarth
04-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Josh is so fortunate to have a "supporter" like yourself.

As for Jazz, Zag basketball would be much more successful with such a knowledgeable authority on the game of basketball at the helm but unfortunately we won't get the opportunity.

Darn.

jazzdelmar
04-05-2009, 01:15 PM
We agree that Josh isnt a true 5, but what choice did Mark have? Josh was the only big who could play the 5 with any success.....

the old notion of a 1 thru 5 team w fixed positions is abandoned by many successful coaches. plenty of teams start 3 guards, even 4...and 2 forwards....and no center. gu's strength this yr was long, athletic wings who cd shoot.....more advantage cd have been taken of that imo.....on defense, playing a zone obviates the 1-5 designation anyway and on offense leaving the center open might have made for some interesting options. few knws a lot more abt hoops than me, of c, but sometimes coaches are stubborn and try to bend players to preconceived notions. it took few years to realize pargo was never going to push the ball upcourt -- he deputized bouldin finally and in meech has someone who loves doing that.

MDABE80
04-05-2009, 01:26 PM
The way the game has changed is such that TRUE Centers of the old days kinda seem outmoded in many cases. First, there aren't many around who are that good and secondly, the college game has changed to allow those kids we used to dife as 4 or 5's to fill in as a BIG but not confined to a Center's role.

It depends on what's available to a coach. Coach needs to manipulate and fashion a team that can play big but also can run and shoot like 3's and 4's....

Few's system allows that. I think that COach tried to give some fluidity to Josh and it was expected he might go get rebounds, etc in each game. I always thought Josh had sufficient talent to be a 20-10 kid and be a cross between center and big forward. Didn't work out even though he did get rebounds at 6.7/game in the WCC. When the going gets tough, some kids thrive and do more than predicted. Josh shot well. So did Matt. It's the other things we wanted from Josh as a very large person with absurd athleticism.

I cannot wait for a Harris or Dower to remind us all what a motivated athlete can do in the GU system. When/if we find a 20-10 who works his bunns off, I'll gladly send a fruitbasket post game to whomever he wants.<whimsy :)

FuManShoes
04-05-2009, 02:43 PM

Did this game get uploaded to justin.tv? I don't see it/ thanks

EngineerZag
04-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Lol you ask for Jazz's opinion on what he would do differently coaching MD and JH and then when he gives it you mock him by saying too bad he isn't running the ship. Which way do you want it?

I don't agree with everything he's saying and I don't even like the guy all that much but darn it, that was totally unfair.

oregongufan
04-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks Josh for a nice finish to your final year with GU.

The uniforms that the two teams had to wear for the senior game had to be the ugliest ones I have seem. The material looked like shiny candy wrappers.

lothar98zag
04-06-2009, 01:14 PM
...The uniforms that the two teams had to wear for the senior game had to be the ugliest ones I have seem. The material looked like shiny candy wrappers.
:agreed:

...the away team color was probably supposed to be chocolate, but to me it looked like a different type of brown...