PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Announces Hire

GUZagDenver
04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
How high-profile do you think Nevada will try to go as far as a new coach? Nevada seems to be a great job and an easy place to recruit to/win at. I wonder if they will take a look at Grier, Giacoletti, or Bone?

Just another quick thought that I mentioned before.... why isn't Leon rice ever mentioned for some of these coaching vacancies? I know he was mentioned for the Idaho opening a few years back, but there hasn't been much since. I know that he LOVES his job and the GU program, but with the looks of Few staying put for quite sometime, why hasn't Rice looked to move up? As far as assistants go, his resume has to be as good as any.

kyle dixon
04-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I think I read somewhere that Nevada is going to promote from within their system. I believe that is how Mark Fox got the head coach job there following Trent Johnson.

I do agree that Leon Rice should be in consideration for these openings though. I love having all of these masterminds on our bench though :)

RenoZag
04-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Nevada Hire Coverage from the Reno Newspaper (http://www.rgj.com/article/20090404/SPORTS06/904040349)

The 42-year-old Carter -- an assistant coach at Nevada since 1999 -- helped lay the program's foundation along with Fox and ex-Nevada coach Trent Johnson.

Along the way, the soft-spoken Carter patiently waited for his turn to take the reins of the Wolf Pack. That day came Friday, when the lesson of patience preached to him by his parents finally paid off.

So, it made sense his first phone call after accepting the position was to his parents.

"My mom, all she wanted to do was see my name across the ticker on ESPN," Carter said.

Carter has WCC roots and an EWU connection:

The file on David Carter

Birthdate: March 12, 1967
Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.
High school: Crenshaw High
Playing days: Played for Saint Mary's from 1985-89 and was inducted into the Gaels' Hall of Fame in 2006.

Coaching career
2009: Nevada head coach
2005-09: Nevada associate head coach
1999-2005: Nevada assistant coach
1997-99: Saint Mary's assistant coach
1995-97: Eastern Washington assistant coach
1992-95: Diablo Valley Community College assistant coach
1989-90: Washington graduate assistant

I hope it means we see some WCC teams here in Reno. UNR's schedule next year-- according to an article I read a few days ago which discussed Fox's departure-- is very much incomplete.

Reno supports the Wolfpack pretty well and as the only game in town, they get very thorough press coverage and all of their games are on the radio. Their TV contract stinks, however.