PDA

View Full Version : OT: Floyd staying at USC

Buckwheat
04-01-2009, 07:13 PM
From ESPN. Floyd is a nice grab for Arizona, but he's definitely no Mark Few.

http://http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4035206

Edit: And it looks like I should have read the thread on Capel before posting this. My bad.

cjm720
04-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Solomon Hill must be thinking what in the world is going on!

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Solomon Hill must be thinking what in the world is going on!

:lmao: True!!

SpokastSports
04-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Michael Wilbon of Pardon the Interruption just broke the news that Floyd is staying at Southern Cal. Whatever will UofA do?

MikeZag1987
04-02-2009, 01:44 PM
If he is going to Arizona, it seems strange to hold a press conference at USC?

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/college/113492.php

Sorry, I posted this earlier under the wrong Thread. My bad!

GUZagDenver
04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Michael Wilbon of Pardon the Interruption just broke the news that Floyd is staying at Southern Cal. Whatever will UofA do?

What is going on here?? Who now, Capel?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4037496

SpokastSports
04-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for link!
I think Capel turned it down if I'm not mistaken. Will UofA go back to the coaches that they turned them down and now offer them Monopoly money? People are now talking up Bruce Pearl. Craziness I tells ya.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I think it's a smart move. I'm not so sure Arizona is all that much better of a job. I feel the same about Memphis, too.

bullzag23
04-02-2009, 02:09 PM
This whole coaching search seems to be spiraling out of control for UA.....that said, I love it :D

SpokastSports
04-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Agreed Cal. USC is getting better and better and basically could become the Memphis of the West (Memphis con Cal). Floyd plays that NBA style that those Californian prospects love. BTW SoCal > Tuscon.

BobZag
04-02-2009, 02:13 PM
I think Memphis is pursuing Pearl quite seriously.

Das Zagger
04-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I too turned down the Arizona job.

SpokastSports
04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't see why Pearl would take that Memphis job. He'll lose most of his recruits going to Tennessee and might not get any of the top 50 recruits that Memphis was supposed to get. Plus it's going to a smaller conference and Tennessee is the flagship school in the state. Of course there is the money...

UberZagFan
04-02-2009, 02:35 PM

It's been widely reported that they are now going after Uber. No reports yet on his interest level, but because he likely won't be able to sell his house in this market, then he will probably have to reject any offers.

The AZ fanbase is delusional. Turned down by Few; now by Floyd; who knows if by Capel or not. Pitino is out of the question. Now talk of Izzo again? Isn't he the one who can walk into any recruits house in the nation and say that if you play for me you WILL be playing in the FF? Or Pearl? While Memphis may make a big play for him, he's got a pretty good gig right now as well. Vol country is crazy about college sports and college hoops. AZ needs to figure out that they overvalued their product.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-02-2009, 02:41 PM

My favorite post of the day.

CDC84
04-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I argued from day one that the Arizona job was not as prestigious within coaching circles as some media people made it out to be.

None of this surprises me. None of it.

If they were smart, they would pursue someone like Randy Bennett, who did one of the most brilliant rebuilding jobs of any coach in recent college basketball history at St. Mary's. Not that I want Randy to leave, nor do I feel he would absolutely take the job if offered. But he's the kind of guy they should be looking for...not some celebrity.

RenoZag
04-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Gee, based on some of the posts after Zag losses this past season, I would think there are LOTS of coaches here in the GUB who would jump at the opportunity to snake walk down the sidelines of the McHale Center floor. . .

Maybe they should talk to Eddie Sutton ! He could add a few more "W" 's to his career totals

UberZagFan
04-02-2009, 03:24 PM
I argued from day one that the Arizona job was not as prestigious within coaching circles as some media people made it out to be.

None of this surprises me. None of it.

If they were smart, they would pursue someone like Randy Bennett, who did one of the most brilliant rebuilding jobs of any coach in recent college basketball history at St. Mary's. Not that I want Randy to leave, nor do I feel he would absolutely take the job if offered. But he's the kind of guy they should be looking for...not some celebrity.

Whoever they get will likely have no ties to the university and will likely struggle for a few years at the least. The fans and the medial will be calling for his head. This hire will not last. This will be UNC in years following Dean Smith leaving.

Das Zagger
04-02-2009, 03:37 PM

He has interviewed for it within the past few days, I have a feeling a callback might be coming.

ZagAddict
04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
If they were smart, they would pursue someone like Randy Bennett... But he's the kind of guy they should be looking for...not some celebrity.

Arizona is so determined to bring in a coach with "star" power that it is getting embarrassing for them. I'm actually surprised they are no longer pursuing Reggie Theus. He turned around a New Mexico St. program before bolting for the NBA, and has the "presence" they are looking for in a head coach. I think there are plenty of more qualified coaches avaliable, ala Randy Bennett, but I don't think Arizona is looking for the best available coach... they are looking for recruiting connections and a face.

ZagAddict
04-02-2009, 04:16 PM
The most ironic thing is that they had a perfectly capable head coach right under their noses in Mike Dunlap, and they messed that whole situation up. This is getting to be sad to watch... ok not really ;)

cbbfanatic
04-02-2009, 04:48 PM
someone please explain to me the qualifications of randy bennett?

CDC84
04-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately, celebrity faces don't want to inherent a program that has to be rebuilt from the ground floor. The big names want a smooth transition like Calipari is going to get at Kentucky. There's just not going to be a smooth transition at Arizona.

It's sad that so many Zona people fail to comprehend this. When coaches keep rejecting a job, it makes other candidates more concerned about the detriments of the position, and it drives up their salary demands. And it's to my understanding that Arizona isn't swimming in dollars right now.

surfmonkey89
04-02-2009, 04:54 PM
This almost exactly mirrors the UW football coaching search. They wanted Jim Mora and ended up with USC's offensive coordinator.

I wonder if UoA is going to end up with some big name school's...assistant.

BobZag
04-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Maybe Scott Drew, he really turned Baylor around.
Maybe Sean Miller.

If not these two, I don't know. Bruce Pearl? At some point Reggie Theus' name will have to come to the fore.

Birddog
04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
And it's to my understanding that Arizona isn't swimming in dollars right now.
I believe they only pay mike Stoops around $750,000 for football, that ought to leave a couple mil for BB.

CDC84
04-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Why it's not as good as you think: The local talent base is dreadful. There have been great in-state players, but about one per decade: Sean Elliott in the 80s, Mike Bibby in the 90s and Richard Jefferson in the 00s. There are persistent reports money is tight. The inattention to basketball elsewhere in the league that helped generate Olson's rise has been resolved, with more Pac-10 schools endeavoring to succeed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=533194