PDA

View Full Version : Nice Article about Coach Few

Radbooks
04-02-2009, 05:53 AM
This is from Dave Boling:

I happened to catch up to Mark Few in a hallway of an arena in North Carolina a little over a year ago. Gonzaga was there to play Davidson in the first round of the 2008 NCAA tournament

As we chatted, we walked past the North Carolina State Wolfpack locker room, which had a large, unattributed quote stenciled on the wall: “The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.”

“Ah,” Few said. “Kipling.”

Pretty impressive, coach, identifying a literary quote on a quick fly-by.

“Hey, I’m about more than just basketball,” he said.

He’s certainly proved that he’s about more than greed, and more than just climbing the career ladder. And that makes him a rarity among college coaches.

As he’s done before, it appears that the Gonzaga coach has decided not to take part in the annual cash-grabbing coaching moves.

In the past, as he’s put together the second-best career winning percentage of any active NCAA men’s basketball coach, his name has been linked to high-profile openings.

Wednesday, Internet reports had him being considered for the Arizona job, being offered the Arizona job, and then turning down the Arizona job.

The East Valley Tribune of Mesa, Ariz., reported Wednesday night that Oklahoma’s Jeff Capel is now the leading candidate after “attempts to get John Calipari (who left Memphis for the Kentucky job) and Gonzaga’s Mark Few were rebuffed.”

Without having a source on the matter, we should be careful about interpreting the term “rebuffed.” So, I don’t know if it’s a dead issue, or if Few is waiting for something else to surface. History says he stays put. He’s already had his chances at programs as prestigious as Indiana and hasn’t risen to the bait.

The fishing allusion there is not accidental. The outdoor experience is one of those quality-of-life issues that Few loves about Spokane. I suspect they can’t do much steelhead fishing in Tucson.

The rest of the article is at the Tacoma News Tribune (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/696289.html).

mainer6
04-02-2009, 06:10 AM
I thought about Few leaving and realized that I would be a fan of whatever school he is at. He truely is unique.

FuManShoes
04-02-2009, 07:03 AM
I thought about Few leaving and realized that I would be a fan of whatever school he is at. He truely is unique.

I've come to feel the same way. Few's more than Gonzaga and Gonzaga's more than Few. They make a great couple and while I've enjoyed and been thankful for the marriage, part of me is curious to see what would become of them without it. I'd bet on a new era of continued success for both.

bballbeachbum
04-02-2009, 07:20 AM

Completely agree. He became my favorite coach over these last 10 years, bar none. Favorite. Period.

He represents much more than Gonzaga basketball to me, although Gonzaga basketball is an awesome platform for him to express himself. He sets the example on what's important in life as the leader, and not by talking but by doing. He commands respect, not out of fear but out of love.

That's a coach. That's as cool as it gets, imo.

We are lucky, and I am grateful.

NontradZag
04-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Great post! Coach Few is an incredible asset to GU, but would be any other place as well. I have to believe that the ability to create the 'family' environment is looked upon enviously at other institutions. His record and the number of players that return are a testament to that. Who wouldn't want that quality in their program...and we have it.

webspinnre
04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
When I was on campus, we had a small alternative paper, and I wrote some of the sports stories. Coach Few took the time to sit down and talk with me for 15-20 minutes before the season started one year for a piece I was doing for the sports section. It was an enjoyable experience, and one that I gained much respect for him from.

MDABE80
04-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Without having a source on the matter, we should be careful about interpreting the term “rebuffed.” So, I don’t know if it’s a dead issue....."

YIKES!