PDA

View Full Version : New tune from Canzano

applezag
04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/04/on_every_possible_level_dunlap.html

I wonder if he is going to explain where his indignant claims that Few would be the coach to open the new arena at Oregon went wrong.

Angelo Roncalli
04-01-2009, 08:49 PM
From exactly one year ago today:

I think Few is eventually bound for Oregon... and the question isn't if... but when.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/johncanzano/2008/04/breaking_news_oregon_state_adm.html

MedZag
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
The one thing I dislike about living in Portland: Canzano. He's got his own shtick radio show now too.

As a Blazers fan, the man is literally unavoidable. It really grates me.

applezag
04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
This article explains well why Oregon is not the place for Few. Is there any other school (maybe Oklahoma St.?) whose athletic program is so singly controlled by one outside person/company? They don't even try to hide it: Nike owns Oregon athletics.

StocktonIsMyHero
04-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Look, the guy is paid to give his opinion and be a lightning rod. He's whiffed on plenty of "predictions" before, just like I'm sure most of us on these message boards have. (And notice he said "I think Few is eventually bound for Oregon...")

He has long been a fan of Mike Dunlap and advocated for him when both the Portland and the Portland State jobs opened over the past few years.

You can disagree with him all you want (that's what he's there for), but just because he said he thinks Mark Few would be a logical fit at Oregon doesn't make him a hack or clueless or a terrible journalist or whatever. He's paid for his opinions.

sullyzag66
04-01-2009, 10:38 PM
From exactly one year ago today:

I think Few is eventually bound for Oregon... and the question isn't if... but when.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/johncanzano/2008/04/breaking_news_oregon_state_adm.html
So the question of when is still an open one. . .:rolleyes:

seasontixholder
04-02-2009, 03:36 AM
Let's wait for a few weeks to see if GU makes an announcement about Mark's package. If there is a sizable jump, one can conclude that Canzano wasn't off base and the threat was substantial. And that it was directed to a unique target, since there isn't a face other than Kent's there. And that Canzano's fatal mistake wasn't lacking the information behind the scenes, but only his underestimation of GU's capacity to counterattack.

ZaginLaw
04-02-2009, 06:42 AM
GU is a private university and you won't see salary/incentives like you see with Kentucky and UCONN, thank God. Few is, was, and always will be fairly compensated by GU.

It was never primarily about money with Canzano. Canazano had the childhood friends / Few coming home angle. Which off base from Day 1 because the soon to be former AD at Oregon is 14 years older that Few, Few's been in Spokane longer than he was in the Eugene area, and as Few has publicly stated his Dad's comment on 'you don't mess with happy'

Canzano used compensation/salary to cloud the issue. The problem with the lure of a Nike subsidized institution is it's subsidized by Uncle Phil who, while not being an Oregon employee, wields more power than Oregon employees. Self sufficiency and having a group that works for one institution (GU) has both tangible and intangible advantages.

Canzano's was sellng his speculation to be as solid as FDIC insurance but most people, excluding his employer, knows that credit default swaps are less riskier than his speculation. Canzano is not paid to be correct, or even report sports news. He like all newspapers primary purpose is to sell advertising.

applezag
04-02-2009, 07:51 AM
What bugged me about Canzano's multi-year-long beating of the Few to Oregon drum the most was his adamance about it. When people would challenge his view he would totally dig in and say that he KNEW it was going to happen--as in the article when he says it isn't "if, but when". I honestly don't think he had any more information than these facts: Few went to Oregon, Few's parents livein Oregon, Few is friends (though not as close as he thought) with Kilkenny, and Oregon has more money and bigger facilities coming. Kilkenny certainly did want Few, but wasn't going to be able to lure him. I don't think Canzano had any inside information on GU's side. He is the worst part of a larger group of Oregon sports media that vastly overestimates the lure and prestige of Oregon sports. It was nice to hear a radio commentator last night in Portland say "maybe Oregon just isn't as good a job as we thought it was". Bingo. Plus, some just can't grasp that Mark Few could be content at GU.

CDC84
04-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Let's make this clear: Canzano is not a journalist, but if he thinks he is, he's a disgrace to his profession. I swear with my hand on two stacks of Bibles that I would say the same thing if he was lobbying for some other name besides Few to take over at Oregon once the object of his contempt - Ernie Kent - was fired. Canzano is a hack. True journalists don't conduct a 2 year campaign with religious zeal to get a coach fired. He has written dozens and dozens of articles and blog entries about his contempt for Kent, and how Few is bound to take over. He's been a broken record of the worst kind.

The issue with Canzano is not Few....it's how he has treated Kent. And I am not someone who likes Kent very much either, so I don't feel bad for Uncle Ernie. Canzano has a right to his opinion, and many reputable journalists have called for the dismissal of various coaches over the years due to various factors. That's fine. But he has conducted himself as if he was an Oregon Duck booster with an ax to grind. He's been obsessed and possessed by the issue like a drunk is with his whisky bottle. That's wrong. His conduct shows an alarming lack of objectivity and detachment.

BobZag
04-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Do you think it's all right to leave the ducks with Uncle Ernie?

Birddog
04-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Do you think it's all right to leave the ducks with Uncle Ernie?
I think you are confusing Ernie with this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdG5lmB_MOk

The Oregon Spike
04-02-2009, 11:43 AM
You can disagree with him all you want (that's what he's there for), but just because he said he thinks Mark Few would be a logical fit at Oregon doesn't make him a hack or clueless or a terrible journalist or whatever. He's paid for his opinions.

Canzano gauranteed to me in an email last year that Few would be the coach at Oregon, and that he had gone as far as he could with the Gonzaga Proram. HE stated that Oregon was a sleeping giant, and that Gonzaga was a nice little story that had run its course. He stated (incorrectly obviously) that Mark Few "dreamed of being the Ducks coach" and that Gonzaga was only a stepping stone to get there (a 20 year step I guess).

I actually like Canzano's radio show, and about 75% of his columns...but he missed here ,and his cockiness will not allow him to admit it.

applezag
04-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I have emailed him in response to an article as well and got pretty much the same reply. I am going to email him about the recent turn of events and ask him what happened to Few and his dream job.

LongIslandZagFan
04-02-2009, 12:04 PM
I think you are confusing Ernie with this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdG5lmB_MOk

No I think he meant this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Qbidac8J8

StocktonIsMyHero
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Let's make this clear: Canzano is not a journalist, but if he thinks he is, he's a disgrace to his profession.

Hmmm... well, the Associated Press of Sports Editors disagrees. They just today named him the best columnist in America:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2009/04/awardwinning_sports_writing_fr.html#more

Look, I disagree with him all the time, but that's the point of him. He's supposed to be a lightning rod.

UberZagFan
04-02-2009, 12:39 PM
All of you are wrong. BZ was thinking of this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtWfTrY-Wug

MDABE80
04-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Paid to be a lightning rod too? And a purveyor of the facts? Best n America too?

Something's wrong with these statements Stocks. I thought these guys were suppost to tell facts....and then WE make opinions. He beginning to sound more like the media in the last Presidential election. Look what THEY did for us!! Bailouts anyone?

StocktonIsMyHero
04-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I thought these guys were suppost to tell facts....and then WE make opinions.

He is a columnist. Columnists very rarely break or report news. The role of a columnist is to provide opinion.

CDC84
04-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry, but there is a difference between offering an opinion as a columnist and taking up a cause and making a holy crusade out of it. He crossed the line. He talked about the issue at such length and with such fanatical zeal that any ounce of impartiality that he had - which a columnist should still have to some degree - was drained from his argument. He campaigned against Kent for 2 years as if he was a disgusted Oregon booster.

For all I know, the guy could've written about sick kids, high school football bake sales and the plight of rabid homeless dogs. But his handling of the Kent/Few thing the last 2 years was unprofessional, and if I were his boss, I would have told him to knock it off or seek employment elsewhere.

MDABE80
04-02-2009, 02:27 PM
No matter the highly suspicious awards, He's a goof that cnnot get facts stright." Who reads ya? " an old Lou Reed question. Answer..too much style and not enough substance. If one cannot belief his facts, why believe his columns? We've had a taste of this for too many years now. One ight think his bosses might think that way too.

StocktonIsMyHero
04-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Meh... I guess you guys just don't read him regularly, which I understand. The only time you see his articles is when Mark Few is mentioned. I get it.

The thing is, Canzano has had an adversarial relationship with all things UO for years now. He rarely talks about Kent, actually. His real hobby horse is Mike Bellotti and Oregon football. There was a big commotion last year when Mike Bellotti's drunk wife started yelling at him in the press box after Canzano reported that Bellotti's son (a back-up kicker on the team) had been arrested for DUI.

His schtick, especially when it comes to U. Oregon, is that of the provocateur. The Oregonian wants him to be controversial... it's like the old Howard Stern joke - his fans listen for an hour a day and the people who hate him listen for two hours.

Anyway, and let's not pretend like Mark Few going to Oregon is a totally ridiculous notion. He's an alum, he's from the Eugene area, he's friends with Oregon's AD, and he's a very successful coach at a mid-major from the Pacific Northwest. For a lot of general fans that don't really follow WCC basketball (and I'm sure Canzano doesn't) and aren't familiar with Few's situation at Gonzaga, it makes a ton of sense. He writes for those people, not for the Gonzaga message board people.

StocktonIsMyHero
04-02-2009, 02:51 PM
No matter the highly suspicious awards

Couldn't let this slide. You can disagree with him winning an award, but it came from the Associated Press. I'd say that's legitimate.