PDA

View Full Version : Calipari and UK

cggonzaga
04-01-2009, 12:21 PM
So I wonder if there's any chance UK and GU will sign home and home games in the near future? How great would it be to have UK come to Spokane! My guess would be Battle in Seattle if anything.

Larrylegend
04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Kentucky is one of the most storied basketball programs in America. Seven national championships, 13 Final Fours, 41 first team All Americans…

GU playing UK in the Battle in Seattle would be an instant sell-out.

Once and Future Zag
04-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Kentucky is one of the most storied basketball programs in America. Seven national championships, 13 Final Fours, 41 first team All Americans….

And with a fanbase and administration willing to kick a coach to the curb in less than 24 months!

Zag 77
04-01-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't mean to be cynical here, but I would not punch my tickets to a GU-UK game just yet. Memphis played us because we were a good fit for their need to beef up their non-league RPI.

UK hardly needs that.

Mark Few may be friends with lots of other coaches, but that does not mean he gets games with all the ones he would like.

However, maybe Mr. Calipari will surprise us.

hoopster777
04-01-2009, 09:30 PM
And with a fanbase and administration willing to kick a coach to the curb in less than 24 months!

I know the way they kind of ran out Tubby Smith was a bit nuts, but when your Gillespie, with two future NBAers on your roster, in the weakest of the 6 major conferences (by a huge margin this year) and you finish 7th in that conference, and your coaching with the expectations Kentucky has, you can't except not to get run out.

cbbfanatic
04-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't mean to be cynical here, but I would not punch my tickets to a GU-UK game just yet. Memphis played us because we were a good fit for their need to beef up their non-league RPI.

UK hardly needs that.

Mark Few may be friends with lots of other coaches, but that does not mean he gets games with all the ones he would like.

However, maybe Mr. Calipari will surprise us.

this is how i see it...

cal no longer needs or benefits from gonzaga... would be surprised to see any sort of long running deal with kentucky. maybe a 2 year thing, but i can almost guarantee cal is focusing on frying "bigger fish" as he sees it... i mean, isnt that why he took the job in the first place?

CDC84
04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Kentucky was in a bind with Tubby Smith though. As great as Tubby is as a coach, he doesn't like recruiting, and you can't have that at UK. He was beginning to take in players like Michael Porter who are not even good enough to play at SEC schools like Mississippi and Auburn. The Kentucky coach has to use the brand name to recruit the best players.

The issue with Gillispie also had to do with his personality being a bad fit for the job. Of course many people outside of the UK community knew that going in, but UK hired him anyway instead of going with an obvious choice like Tom Crean. The problem with their fan base and boosters is that they are so obsessed with the program that they can't think straight at times. When hiring a new coach, you need some detachment.

FuManShoes
04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
this is how i see it...

cal no longer needs or benefits from gonzaga... would be surprised to see any sort of long running deal with kentucky. maybe a 2 year thing, but i can almost guarantee cal is focusing on frying "bigger fish" as he sees it... i mean, isnt that why he took the job in the first place?

Cal is now a bad guy.

http://www.ilovebellas.com/images/bellas_bandit.jpg

MDABE80
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
No offense cbb , but ur saying we aren't sufficient to be considered a big program? When did this happen? Listen up.......GU is as good as UK will get when Cal's there. He loves us and it's mutual. We have the credentials and credibility to play anyone and have it be a national TV game........this includes UK. Not sure if you meant what you wrote but to me it's a bit offensive. 77 and you disappoint....like GU is not worthy......hell if we believed this we'd be in the big sky still. Top 20 teams don't take a back seat to an historical program (and one who hasn't performed at a super high level in years) no matter what you might think.

cbbfanatic
04-02-2009, 07:14 PM
No offense cbb , but ur saying we aren't sufficient to be considered a big program? When did this happen? Listen up.......GU is as good as UK will get when Cal's there. He loves us and it's mutual. We have the credentials and credibility to play anyone and have it be a national TV game........this includes UK. Not sure if you meant what you wrote but to me it's a bit offensive. 77 and you disappoint....like GU is not worthy......hell if we believed this we'd be in the big sky still. Top 20 teams don't take a back seat to an historical program (and one who hasn't performed at a super high level in years) no matter what you might think.

what im saying is

1) cal's baseline schedule is way more competitive than it has ever been before, he no longer needs 4, 5, 6, 7 etc TOUGH out of conference games to make his overall conference have the appearance of respectability - he needs 2, maybe 3 - with a big preseason tourney counting for one of those most likely - louisville as another.

2) he will be able to play almost anyone he wants, and might not feel the need to make the trip all the way to spokane every other year. he can get the bigger names to do home and homes with him - closer to home - and maybe a LITTLE higher profile - lets be honest, that DOES exist.

put those two together, and he doesnt really "need" gonzaga like he used to. memphis, on the other hand, will hopefully get a coach that wants to keep that thing going. calipari is a businessman/mercenary, dont expect him to have some weird sort of loyalty to gonzaga. the memphis calipari had a symbiotic relationship with gonzaga, the kentucky calipari might not

not to say it couldnt happen, but im just looking at this reasonably

MDABE80
04-02-2009, 11:27 PM
CBB says"he will be able to play almost anyone he wants, and might not feel the need to make the trip all the way to spokane every other year. he can get the bigger names to do home and homes with him - closer to home - and maybe a LITTLE higher profile - lets be honest, that DOES exist."

I guess your point is that Cal couldn't play anyone he wanted already? Who do you have in mind that fill that bill? You think since he's going to Kentucky , he'll also be able to play anyone he wishes? So what's new? He could do it at both places.

It's the last few lines that I must have misinterpreted.....you know that part where you tell us that "bigger names to do home and homes with him - closer to home - and maybe a LITTLE higher profile - lets be honest, that DOES exist" or your "bigger fish" comment. My idea is that while there are some, "bigger fish" or those with the LITTLE higher profile , it's irrelevant. Who would those be by the way? I'd like to know......since I'm not sure where you place GU in all of this. High, low, middlin? What teams do you have in mind?

Finally though, since you think Cal's a mercenary/businessman, I'd like to know why you say....."but i can almost guarantee cal is focusing on frying "bigger fish" as he sees it... i mean, isnt that why he took the job in the first place?". How do you know? Might it be the extra $25 million he'll make over 10 years?

You see, it might not be that GU isn't quite up to speed and it might not be the "bigger fish" as a reason Cal flew to UK. No need to impugn anyone. Maybe he just wanted to live in Kentucky and make an extra batch of millions.
Might not have anything to do with GU either. I bet he'll be playing GU multiple times. WHY? Because GU is a high end school who"s earned the moniker and maybe he just likes the ethic and success we've developed.

kyle dixon
04-03-2009, 05:56 AM
I agree with CBB on this one. I think Cal has moved on, felt the pinch of being a non-BCS member and felt that he got screwed with the two seed so he took the high profile Kentucky job. I think that he really enjoyed the Gonzaga-Memphis series as it benefitted both schools with scheduling.

At Kentucky he will probably schedule closer to the vest as to non-conference scheduling. Probably the heavy weights of Indiana/Notre Dame/Louisville, etc and a couple pre season tournaments will do the trick. Wildcat nation would not enjoy taking a loss to Gonzaga and as a penalty he would probably be sent on the 3:10 to Yuma which is beginning to seem like death job at Zona :)

CDC84
04-03-2009, 07:42 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Gonzaga play a one off game at some point against Kentucky at the Hall of Fame Classic or some other made for TV/neutral court type event. I think Calipari would agree to something like that. Gonzaga has always been able to play elite teams under those kinds of conditions.

HillBillyZag
04-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Calipari and Lavin use either "FOP" or "Dapper Dan" on their hair. Both would fit right in the cast of "Oh Brother, where art thou?," of course one of HBZ's all time favorite flics. Cal still reminds me too much of a "snake oil salesman", just a little too slick. Don't expect him to do Gonzaga too many favors.

MDABE80
04-03-2009, 10:12 AM
1. Abe agrees with everyone on this thread.
2. """ REALLY doesn't like it when GU is undersold in present day discussions of college hoops.
3. And.....after a night's sleep and some coffee, I think this thread took a bad turn.

UberZagFan
04-03-2009, 10:40 AM
A lot of the reasons it made sense for Memphis to schedule GU (and those reasons still exist even withouth Cal) do not exist for Kentucky. But that doesn't mean that GU might not be able to get a game with Kentucky in a one-time neutral like CDC stated.

But if Uber was a Kentucky fan and Cal scheduled a 4 year home and home with GU based on some sort of "loyalty", he'd be pretty upset that he was compromising what is best for Kentucky based on some past history with GU and Few.

And considering the state of Kentucky bball, it would make even less sense in the near future. For OOC scheduling, you figure they already have a top 5/10 team in Louisville* and probably are in some tourney that potentially could match them against one/two more top 25/50 teams. Every other OOC game should be along the lines of the chickens' OOC.

*This school should be a BIS opponent in 2010 or 2011--great story line for Peyton coming home which was missed when TWill was there....but in a game like that Louisville may want to play a school like SU--which actually is a good idea Uber just had: doubleheader in the Key with Louisville/SU in the opener and GU/Illini in the second game.

Radbooks
04-05-2009, 06:00 AM
From a conversation that Andy Katz had with John Calipari over the weekend. Not surprisingly, Gonzaga isn't mentioned as one of the teams he wants to have on his schedule.

• He no longer has to beg television networks to set up non-conference games for him in January and February.

"We used to fight for TV and now I don't have to fight for it anymore," Calipari said. "I'm at Kentucky now. North Carolina, Kansas, Indiana, Louisville, we can have on the schedule. Ben Howland of UCLA, let's play.”

Here's the link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4043386)to the rest of the story if you want to read about him...

hoopster777
04-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I dont think its out of the question we could schedule games with Kentucky, the location though would probably be on their terms. Maybe we do one at Kentucky and they come to the BIS. I would put UCONN right up there with UCLA, UNC, and Louisville and they came out for the BIS, traveling even further. They dont have the same history as Kentucky, but in the last 10 years UCONN has to be considered a perennial power.

skan72
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Demarcus Cousins is a Wildcat now. Talk about turning the program around already. Just needs a point guard now.

kdoggy
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
I am not so cynical as to think that the great programs only factor RPI as factor. That’s a game for the Perrenial Bubble mid-power teams like UW, Michigan, Notre Dame, ASU, Alabama to play. The elite teams like North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, Arizona have always gone out and tried to schedule teams to make them better and to raise their profile. Gonzaga qualifies as a more than quality opponent. Home and Homes are sometimes are sometimes a little more difficult from an economics standpoint. Playing at a quasi-neutral court can make some more money.

thickman1
04-09-2009, 07:17 AM
I see no reason for Cal to come to Spokane with Kentucky. He wouldn't come to the Kennel with Memphis why would he dare bring in the cats?

MickMick
04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Calipari (read World Wide Wes) is the best recruiter in college hoops. Kentucky will rise rapidly. The Zags would be fortunate to play UK.

Zagdawg
04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
If he had an opportunity to showcase his team in Seattle --playing the Zags -- do you think he would bite?-- He could help his friend Mr. Few out and sell it as a recruiting opportunity in the Seattle area-- where there have been some good players come out recently.

skan72
04-10-2009, 12:29 PM
The problem is Memphis needed us as an OOC game just as badly as we needed them, playing in weaker conferences. Now, being in the SEC, albeit not so strong at the moment but still a power conference, he will more than likely not feel the urge to play Gonzaga. However, who knows what the future holds.