PDA

View Full Version : Top Candidate for Arizona: Capel, Make That Floyd

Angelo Roncalli
04-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel has emerged as the leading candidate for the University of Arizona men's basketball job, the Tribune has learned.

A source said Wednesday that negotiations are ongoing between UA and Capel, and an announcement could come within the next couple of days.

Capel emerged as the frontrunner after Arizona's attempts to get John Calipari (who left Memphis for the Kentucky job) and Gonzaga's Mark Few were rebuffed.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/137385

BobZag
04-01-2009, 11:00 AM
I've learned long ago on these sites that there will always be the Nervous Nellies who simply won't believe anyone.

I've asked Meehan to do a blurb on it in the S-R. Maybe folks will believe that. Jim is busy covering the Spokane Shock, so we'll see.

ToreroStudent
04-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I've learned long ago on these sites that there will always be the Nervous Nellies who simply won't believe anyone.

I've asked Meehan to do a blurb on it in the S-R. Maybe folks will believe that. Jim is busy covering the Spokane Shock, so we'll see.

BZ you are a gentleman and a scholar. If you are ever in San Diego, let's do lunch.

530ZAG
04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
It's time to believe BZ, just heard on ESPN Radio that Few rebuffed UA...now they seem to be close with Oklahoma's Capel...Makes sense as Capel had been upset with pay scale at Oklahoma.

jazzdelmar
04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
BZ you are a gentleman and a scholar. If you are ever in San Diego, let's do lunch.

i wd love to join u and pay.....joe (del mar)

NOZaga
04-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Thank you coach Few... You win the college coach of the year award.

that'll be the day

theirishzag03
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM
It's time to believe BZ, just heard on ESPN Radio that Few rebuffed UA...now they seem to be close with Oklahoma's Capel...Makes sense as Capel had been upset with pay scale at Oklahoma.

I think Few is going to take the NJIT job---

lothar98zag
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM
that'll be the day
huh?

skan72
04-01-2009, 12:19 PM
that'll be the day

I agree, that day is not too far off.

Where did you come from? In 4 posts on this board only you make me want to ask you to crawl back to the hole you came from, fill it in, and take a deep breath.

UberZagFan
04-01-2009, 12:23 PM
huh?

Huh is that the guy has four posts total and all are not just negative but some bordeline slanderous. One would think even idiotic fans would splice their troll posts with a few good ones here and there to try and throw off the mods.

jazzdelmar
04-01-2009, 12:23 PM
its quite a drop from pitino to few to capel for zona....oh how the mighty have fallen......capel's a solid coach, but still a consolation prize for the cats....i still maintain steve kerr shld be the head man there.......

UberZagFan
04-01-2009, 12:27 PM
its quite a drop from pitino to few to capel for zona....oh how the mighty have fallen......capel's a solid coach, but still a consolation prize for the cats....i still maintain steve kerr shld be the head man there.......

jazz, from goazcats.com:

No Olson -- stop panicking!
No Jennings -- stop panicking!
No Negedu -- stop panicking!
No Moser -- stop panicking!
No Gaddy -- stop panicking!
No Withey -- stop panicking!
No Izzo -- stop panicking!
No Dixon -- stop panicking!
No Calipari -- stop panicking!
No Pitino -- stop panicking!
No Few -- stop panicking!

So, yeah, relax. It'll be fine.

Birddog
04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Oklahoma sports morons have been having a field day with this all day. The speculation was all over the map, mostly re Few and Capel. Around 5:30 sources close to Capel released a statement that he had not been in touch with UA. Capel is in fact, either en route or in Detroit with Griffen. Caveat. this does not mean that Capel's people haven't been talking with UA. The biggest fuel to the rumors was that Capel was not at the OU womens game last night, and he usually attends if possible.

Angelo Roncalli
04-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I expect there to now be a flurry of stuff about Tim Floyd being a candidate.

BobZag
04-01-2009, 05:20 PM
And fired Phoenix Suns coach and former UW-Green Bay player under Dick Bennett, Terry Porter, talking with Wazzu.

Verrrrry interesting.

basketballzag
04-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Don't be surprised to see Tim become the next UA coach. He has turned around every single college program he has ever coached and even helped turn around the NO Hornets. He passed on his dream job last year but will jump at Arizona. He would be the best choice out of everyone mentioned thus far for the UA job.

Problem is that he will eventually leave that job for his dream job and move back home to south eastern Louisiana. Tim is one hell of a coach and an even better recruiter.

zagsfan21
04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I expect there to now be a flurry of stuff about Tim Floyd being a candidate.

It's almost like you already knew:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4035206

Tim Floyd will be named basketball coach at Arizona, Mark Asher of Sports 620 KTAR, ESPN's radio affiliate in Phoenix, is reporting according to multiple sources.

ZagAddict
04-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Tim Floyd to UofA...

It has always been more about recruiting at UofA than coaching. Lute Olsen was one of the greatest recruiters I have ever seen. In Tucson, the University of Arizona had better have a masterful recruiter to convince top high school basketball players to come to Tucson. Tim Floyd is one of the best... I wonder how many of his recruits will try to follow him.

I think this coaching search at Arizona proved that the head coaching position at UofA is not an "elite" job.

ZagAddict
04-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Looks like zagfan21 beat me to it on Arizona hiring Tim Floyd... ;)

The rumor of Terry Porter to WSU is just plain ridiculous. They really need someone with recruiting connections. I watched Terry Porter completely dismantle the Phoenix Suns this year, and was not impressed with him as a coach or motivator. There are so many other coaches that make more sense...

Ken Bone
Ray Giacoletti
Russ Pennell
Randy Bennett

Angelo Roncalli
04-01-2009, 07:12 PM
It's almost like you already knew:

I had a pretty good source on this one.

MedZag
04-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Comments on the ESPN article already talking about Few to USC. :lmao:

mez124
04-01-2009, 07:25 PM
I had a pretty good source on this one.

BOBZAG???

ZagAddict
04-01-2009, 07:27 PM
As long as we are speculating... Herb Sendek moving from Arizona State to USC may make sense. He's a great coach with good connections to recruiting in Southern California.

Will Billy Grier's name pop up for this job?

530ZAG
04-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Looks like zagfan21 beat me to it on Arizona hiring Tim Floyd... ;)

The rumor of Terry Porter to WSU is just plain ridiculous. They really need someone with recruiting connections. I watched Terry Porter completely dismantle the Phoenix Suns this year, and was not impressed with him as a coach or motivator. There are so many other coaches that make more sense...

Ken Bone
Ray Giacoletti
Russ Pennell
Randy Bennett

It's true that Porter may not be the best fit here. However, I wouldn't knock a guy that comes in and tries to get a team to play some D (considering they got worked by the Spurs for several years due to their lack of it). Porter's a good coach but he had no shot coming into a team of guys who simply refused to put out effort on the defensive end (or hadn't played D in so long they forgot how!).

I think he could do well at a place like WSU because he could get guys to buy into his system....I just don't think he'll get the chance as the other coaches are more familiar with the area and are probably better recruiters.

Das Zagger
04-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Randy Bennett

He did interview for the Zona job, he also interviewed for the WSU job.