PDA

View Full Version : April Fool's Day nightmare for GU faithful?

bettingman
04-01-2009, 07:50 AM
So there is the news that Mr. Mediocrity, Ernie Kent, is staying at Oregon....good news, right? Well, what about the sunny sky of Arizona luring away Coach Few? Yikes!

http://ktar.com/sports/?sid=1112684&nid=50

ToreroStudent
04-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Hmmm. Capel actually makes sense to me. Griffen's gone for sure. Why not bail for a new program?

bettingman
04-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Capel is really the only other one that makes sense. No way is Pitino leaving Louisville now that Kentucky is going to be good again. Floyd is not done with USC yet, why start all over at AZ?

CDC84
04-01-2009, 08:07 AM
It is to my understanding that the Pitino thing is not as far fetched as it may seem.

bettingman
04-01-2009, 08:10 AM
How about $50 to the Kennel Club if it is Rick Pitino, $50 to the Green & Gold Club if it is Few, anyone else is a Push?

;)

Radbooks
04-01-2009, 08:11 AM
This article in the Tucsun Citizen seems to indicate that it is Pitino as well. I sure hope they're right! :)

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/frontpage/113351.php

UACat5
04-01-2009, 08:13 AM
It's not Pitino, but CDC is right, Pitino was not as far fetched as some would like to believe.

MikeZag1987
04-01-2009, 08:16 AM
I hope this is not accurate:

http://ncaatournament.fanhouse.com/2009/04/01/is-mark-few-next-arizona-coach/

ToreroStudent
04-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Pitino is absolutely ridiculous if it happens. Few is much more feasable and Floyed even more feasable. Caple makes sense.

So here's how we grade these rumors:

Pitino: Ridiculous
Few: Not that ridiculous. He doesn't get paid enough.
Floyd: I'd love to see him backstab USC. I've never really liked the man.
Caple: Blake Griffen may be his ticket to a nice new pay day.

bettingman
04-01-2009, 08:18 AM
I guess that means no one will take my proposed wager ;)

zagsballer
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Please say it ain't so!

I know, its not been locked in or anything, but please, please, be false.

coolhandzag
04-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Few is a smart guy, and smart guys typically learn from their predecessors. If the grass is greener it may be that green paint Armando Montelongo from ‘Filp this House’ lays down.

Das Zagger
04-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Why not bail for a new program?

Maybe because he just pulled a top 10 recruiting class with 2 McD's AAs? Losing BG will sting but they should be strong in the B12 next year.

GoZags
04-01-2009, 08:40 AM
My "guess" is Lon Kruger to Arizona -- but it's just a guess -- not worth even betting fake "WCC Pick em Bettingman" dollars on it.

http://members5.boardhost.com/bettingman/

IronLions
04-01-2009, 08:48 AM
He is Georgia's main target after being turned down by the mizzou coach.

TeachforZagNation
04-01-2009, 08:52 AM
And I think Capel is waiting for the Duke job...

LongIslandZagFan
04-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Pitino... now out of the running.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/mens-tournament/04/01/pitino/index.html

LongIslandZagFan
04-01-2009, 08:57 AM
And I think Capel is waiting for the Duke job...

He's got years to wait.

LongIslandZagFan
04-01-2009, 08:58 AM
He is Georgia's main target after being turned down by the mizzou coach.

I think OU or UA are both better gigs than UGA.

jazzdelmar
04-01-2009, 09:10 AM
just spoke w Steve Kerr, the icon for Zona hoops players, and even he doesnt knw who it will be.....apparently, Livengood wont return his calls....the alums are praying for Pitino but wd be very happy w MF.....

Pargo the Destroyer
04-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Few ain't going anywhere. This is silly.

Sheesh.
This is from BobZag, my trusted inside source for GU basketball.

Bob, please post on this thread and shoot the rumors down.........please?

Angelo Roncalli
04-01-2009, 09:29 AM
How about $50 to the Kennel Club if it is Rick Pitino, $50 to the Green & Gold Club if it is Few, anyone else is a Push?

;)

How about you pay $100 to Coaches v. Cancer if Few stays at Gonzaga and I'll do the same if Few goes to Arizona?

GUZagDenver
04-01-2009, 09:34 AM
This is from BobZag, my trusted inside source for GU basketball.

Bob, please post on this thread and shoot the rumors down.........please?

Bobzag is always money on this board. But he also said ernie Kent was gone from Oregon too................... My bet is its Few

BobZag
04-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Oooh, should I take 50 easy dollars for the Kennel Club from bettingman, sans the Pitino thing, but certainly the other half?

ToreroStudent
04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Even i'm sweating this one with you guys. I don't want you to lose Few because it means I lose Grier. :(

Hire Pitino!

gu03alum
04-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Link to actual new article?

RenoZag
04-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Even i'm sweating this one with you guys. I don't want you to lose Few because it means I lose Grier. :(

:confused:

Where does Grier go if Few leaves GU in your scenario, Torero ?

7ICoug
04-01-2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11578288

ToreroStudent
04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
:confused:

Where does Grier go if Few leaves GU in your scenario, Torero ?

I think that you guys would hire him. He was the top assistant there and would be the easy hire right?

That's the vibe i'm getting anyways?

hockeyzag
04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Reading that makes me feel like throwing up

BobZag
04-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Few is staying. This is getting old, guys.

omahazag
04-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I think that you guys would hire him. He was the top assistant there and would be the easy hire right?

That's the vibe i'm getting anyways?

Well, he WAS the top assistant and coach in waiting while at GU. As i understand it, Coach Leon Rice is next in line.

omahazag
04-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Few is staying. This is getting old, guys.

Thanks, bob.

ToreroStudent
04-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I hope you're right, but I also hope that Few stays and we never get to find out.

GUZagDenver
04-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Bob, I am in a panic here. How do we know this for sure? Have you talked directly to him or someone that knows he has turned down the job for sure? Who are the sources and why should we believe this??

ToreroStudent
04-01-2009, 09:58 AM
BZ is always right. If he says there is nothing to worry about, there probably is nothing to worry about.

misszigzag
04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I think you'll just have to trust Few and BobZag on this one.

Oh, and stop reading the Arizona message board. That place is a rumor breeding ground at the moment.

Pleasant Peninsula
04-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Chill, folks. Mark Few probably isn't going anywhere and even if he does, the program will be in good hands. We need not worry. The future is bright.

gamagin
04-01-2009, 10:06 AM
is whether the change in admn at GU (Spitzer out, ????? IN) might give MF pause to consider the status of the program here versus what promises he might extract from Az or somewhere else.

In other words, it's the only area that has or might change re his job security, the emphasis (or de emphasis) on the program, the budget etc etc under a new president. That seemed to be one of the trigger points (budget cuts) for WSU's Bennett. Plus a boatload of money.

Otherwise, I think Few has the best job in America, has said so, and has meant it.

Further, it would seem that IF he were considering the Pac 10, oregon would be a better choice and would likely be there for him whenever he wanted a bigger challenge/league (or just a change) than GU/WCC. Plus it was home.

That said, there is an x factor that might also be difficult to ignore: a HUGE contract and literally financial security for the rest of his life. But unless he has all his money in the stock market, I think he's already there.

Hondo said as we spoke today that "even if Few leaves, no one can take away the past ten years and all the great success." and I add, neither can anyone take away the next ten, years, either. The program is greater than one man. Any one man.

and an excellent system and even succession program is what brought Few to the top of the list the last time there was a big change.

Go TEAM Zags !

BobZag
04-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Bob, I am in a panic here. How do we know this for sure? Have you talked directly to him or someone that knows he has turned down the job for sure? Who are the sources and why should we believe this??

Don't panic. I can't name sources or they'll cease being sources. Very high level. Very close to Few. They all say no.

It's rumors.

My guess is Capel or some other BCS coach like that.

Das Zagger
04-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Link to actual new article?

I don't know how accurate "Fanhouse" is but a friend just emailed this to me,

http://ncaatournament.fanhouse.com/2009/04/01/is-mark-few-next-arizona-coach/

From what I've read on here it sounds like fluff.

sharpzag
04-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Don't panic. I can't name sources or they'll cease being sources. Very high level. Very close to Few. They all say no.

It's rumors.

My guess is Capel or some other BCS coach like that.

i just told all my friends that Few is staying. I cited a source close to a source that is close to Few. ;)

ZagNative
04-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I don't know if this from Gary Parrish (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11578288) has been posted, but I can't believe that the swirling rumors can be good for the program. I don't understand why Few doesn't nip it in the bud with the same kind of announcement Bill Grier made, i.e., that he'll be at Gonzaga this fall.

April 1, 2009
By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Arizona's coaching search is now centered on Gonzaga's Mark Few.

Multiple sources told CBSSports.com that Arizona used third-party representatives to gauge the interest of Few as early as November at the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, and that informal conversations continued this past weekend, right after North Carolina eliminated Gonzaga from the NCAA tournament.

One source put it simply: "This is Few's job if he wants it."

But does Few want it?

A source told CBSSports.com that Few is intrigued by the tradition of Arizona, but that he would have reservations about taking over a situation that could be similar to what Tom Crean inherited at Indiana. In other words, Few has never done anything but win in 10 seasons at Gonzaga, and so losing game after game next season because of a program that has been decimated by departures and a lack of recruiting is something he might balk at.

Also, Few could be hesitant about taking over at Arizona given that there's an ongoing NCAA investigation.

But sources insisted he'll listen, and that Arizona is talking.

sharpzag
04-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't know if this from Gary Parrish (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11578288) has been posted, but I can't believe that the swirling rumors can be good for the program. I don't understand why Few doesn't nip it in the bud with the same kind of announcement Bill Grier made, i.e., that he'll be at Gonzaga this fall.

I think it is pretty good for the program when Few can tell recruits that he rejected the AZ job.

sullyzag66
04-01-2009, 11:06 AM
is whether the change in admn at GU (Spitzer out, ????? IN) might give MF pause to consider the status of the program here versus what promises he might extract from Az or somewhere else.

In other words, it's the only area that has or might change re his job security, the emphasis (or de emphasis) on the program, the budget etc etc under a new president. That seemed to be one of the trigger points (budget cuts) for WSU's Bennett. Plus a boatload of money.

Otherwise, I think Few has the best job in America, has said so, and has meant it.
[/snip]

I've heard this concern before, but I cannot imagine that the new administration won't see the benefit the basketall program in the last ten years has been to the entire University. Spitzer, who, by his own admission, was not much of a sports fan, could see that early on. Donations up, enrollment up, SAT scores higher, etc. If it ceased to be a benefit, of course it should be re-evaluated. I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

GoZags
04-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I've heard this concern before, but I cannot imagine that the new administration won't see the benefit the basketall program in the last ten years has been to the entire University. Spitzer, who, by his own admission, was not much of a sports fan, could see that early on. Donations up, enrollment up, SAT scores higher, etc. If it ceased to be a benefit, of course it should be re-evaluated. I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

I've been assured (by Father Spitzer) that one of the search committee's criteria is understanding and supporting athletics at Gonzaga University. GoZags

bettingman
04-01-2009, 03:27 PM
How about you pay $100 to Coaches v. Cancer if Few stays at Gonzaga and I'll do the same if Few goes to Arizona?

Not exactly the odds I was looking for. Liked my Few or Pitino wager better. Oh, well. Now I'm too late anyway. Maybe next time. ;)