PDA

View Full Version : Poling now 240lbs

cggonzaga
04-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I get the feeling we're all going to be pleasantly surprised by the big man! I'd really like Dower to be ready to play next year so we can have a four man post rotation.

Daye
Sacre
Poling
Dower

hockeyzag
04-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Where did you find this little piece of information?

NontradZag
04-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Absolutely! I'll write this again, Poling looked great at the exhibition prior to the season. Played great back to the basket ball when he was in. I think he and Dower will soon become a deadly post combo.

I am still not completely sold on Sacre's foot quickness and basketball savvy. He has great size and strength, but at times looked like a work in progress on offense.

cggonzaga
04-01-2009, 08:17 AM
It's in today's Spokesman along with Pargo and Downs being in the college slam dunk contest and Heytvelt in the all star game this Thursday.

EngineerZag
04-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontrad, I agree about Sacre if you're talking about his freshman year. However, he improved dramatically on offense IMO from that year to the few games he played at the beginning of this season. I think he will develop into a legitimate offensive threat, he may never score 20 a night, but he'll keep teams honest.

HillBillyZag
04-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Poling has the most polished post moves of any big we have had thus far. He is a true back to the basket center.

VinnyZag
04-01-2009, 08:56 AM
It's in today's Spokesman along with Pargo and Downs being in the college slam dunk contest and Heytvelt in the all star game this Thursday.

It's partway through Meehan's season wrap. You can read the whole thing here: http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/mar/31/wrapping-gus-season/#more

Seriously, not trying to be a jerk or anything, but please try to remember to link to stories. Newspapers need all the page views they can get.

duper
04-01-2009, 09:02 AM
What about KOng? The article says still has visa issues.

BobZag
04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
The staff has to say that about Kong until they put out an official release and they're really in no hurry to do that.

Fantastic news about Poling bulking up. Great work, Andy!

NontradZag
04-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Nontrad, I agree about Sacre if you're talking about his freshman year. However, he improved dramatically on offense IMO from that year to the few games he played at the beginning of this season. I think he will develop into a legitimate offensive threat, he may never score 20 a night, but he'll keep teams honest.
I agree that his offense was improved the first few games of the season, though I still thought that he brought the ball down low too often and still lacked smoothness with his moves/feet.

I hope that over the course of the summer that he is able to improve even more. A HUGE big man with deft moves and quick feet, ala Dejaun Blair or Blake Griffin would be the absolute best thing for our program going forward. Optimistically, I think Sacre can do and be that for our team.

cjm720
04-01-2009, 09:30 AM
A HUGE big man with deft moves and quick feet, ala Dejaun Blair or Blake Griffin would be the absolute best thing for our program going forward. Optimistically, I think Sacre can do and be that for our team.

Yeah, I'd take first team all-amercian for Sacre. I won't hold my breath. Sacre's still a work in progres, but most importantly he has the build, the height and 3 more years in the program. I'd be happy with first team all-WCC.

GO ZAGS!!

jake
04-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Poling has the most polished post moves of any big we have had thus far. He is a true back to the basket center.

I'm assuming you're ruling out Batista? It is great to hear Andy has bulked up. I have no doubt he has made great strides this year, but he wasn't a true back to the basket center in high school, so I'll be curious to see where his offensive move are at next year. Added weight and strength will definitely help his back to the basket game. This is only my opinion, but I differ a little from the posts on here that suggest Andy had extremely polished offensive moves in high school. They were definitely above average, but I would not describ him as a highly polished offensive machine in high school. Obviously he has had a lot of time to keep improving, and I remain optimistic about his potential and look forward to watching him play next year.

NontradZag
04-01-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm assuming you're ruling out Batista? It is great to hear Andy has bulked up. I have no doubt he has made great strides this year, but he wasn't a true back to the basket center in high school, so I'll be curious to see where his offensive move are at next year. Added weight and strength will definitely help his back to the basket game. This is only my opinion, but I differ a little from the posts on here that suggest Andy had extremely polished offensive moves in high school. They were definitely above average, but I would not describ him as a highly polished offensive machine in high school. Obviously he has had a lot of time to keep improving, and I remain optimistic about his potential and look forward to watching him play next year.
Can we get Poling's moves into Sacre's body? That would be sweet.

jake
04-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Can we get Poling's moves into Sacre's body? That would be sweet.

That would be quite a player. Poling will never have Sacre's body, but his continued bulking up is a big plus. His strength, both before and after his illness in high school, was the biggest limitation on his low post game.

jim77
04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Its time we played some POWERBALL. Just put Foster at C....Sacre at F..and Poling at F....then let MEECH and MATT have a little fun. I doubt any NBA team has a bigger front court....it would be fun to see this lineup thrown out there for a few minutes. Coach Few is gonna have some big horses next year. Heck, we could even swap Matt for Daye for a few mintes also.....can yo say 6-10...6-11....7-0.....7-5....sick.

The folks we have next year will really enhace Austin's game. We will have BIG ROB and Andy boarding...Matt and Meech and Steven handling the ball...which is gonna leave Austin WAY more freedom to show his skills. I suspect if he comes back he will really light it up!!! Few and staff have done a great job as usual of setting us up for success. The new recruits are also a very talented bunch...with size. Next years team may set some rebounding records.

roxdoc
04-01-2009, 01:47 PM
I always think of Andy as a power forward, 4 type player and Sam Dower a 5. Or do I have it turned around?

BobZag
04-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I always think of Andy as a power forward, 4 type player and Sam Dower a 5. Or do I have it turned around?

I think both are more PF than C. And that is fine.

sdzag
04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Where was Poling ranked in the nation when we got him to sign? I think he was like a top 20 recruit when we signed him and then he had that disease. The skill level has always been there. Now he just needs to keep eating his Wheaties with bacon, steak, cog omelet and vanilla shake!

MBZags
04-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Where was Poling ranked in the nation when we got him to sign? I think he was like a top 20 recruit when we signed him and then he had that disease. The skill level has always been there. Now he just needs to keep eating his Wheaties with bacon, steak, cog omelet and vanilla shake!

Unfortunately, I don't think Andy can have dairy products, and he has likely developed anti-COGitis like many students already have.

theirishzag03
04-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I have no doubt he has made great strides this year, but he wasn't a true back to the basket center in high school, so I'll be curious to see where his offensive move are at next year. Added weight and strength will definitely help his back to the basket game.
They were definitely above average, but I would not describ him as a highly polished offensive machine in high school. Obviously he has had a lot of time to keep improving, and I remain optimistic about his potential and look forward to watching him play next year.

http://gonzaga.scout.com/a.z?s=130&p=8&c=1&nid=1873987

others (Scout.com) beg to differ. Also, he looks big and tough in this pic! (before all the weight loss)

JohnOGU
04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
ive been told he eats 1-2 lbs of bacon in the cog every morning. other than that he has to be taken to huckleberry's for special food. i believe he is allergic to protein, is what i was told.

MDABE80
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I saw Andy last week on campus. Hardly recognised him. He's all of 240 lbs now. Spring in his step too. I think we're going to be surprised by him. Nice kid. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a solid 245 lbs by November. Definitely he'll be a strong player and won't get pushed around. Staff found a good one.

Birddog
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
i believe he is allergic to protein, is what i was told.
I think he's allergic to "glutens" it's called celiac disease.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten_sensitivity

bballguy
04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm really excited about the news on Andy. Does anyone have news on Grant? We keep getting excited about the new class coming in and we seem to completly ignore the two redshirts. I think both will contribute as much or more than the "Fab Five" will.