PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's All-American Game

4EVERaZAG
03-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Tips tomorrow at 5pm Pacific

Look for an OJ Mayo vs. the West type of game. The West is completely stacked with a starting line-up of Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, Kyle Singler, Michael Beasley, and Kevin Love the top five players in the 2007 class. But rankings only go so far...should be a fun game to watch and see the future stars of the game.

EL MUSTACIO
03-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Im guessing its on Espn or ESPN2? would be very fun to see how good the 07 class really is.

CDC84
03-28-2007, 08:14 AM
The game is on ESPN at 5pm PT. Between 4-5 they replay the dunk contest.

Austin Daye, BTW, is ranked ahead of 9 players in the 2007 Rivals Top 150 that will be participating in the game tonight, including:

Taylor King
Nolan Smith
Jai Lucas
Corey Stokes
Gani Lawal
Chris Wright
Cole Aldrich
James Anderson
Blake Griffin

Wright is ranked 25 spots behind Daye.........

FYI...the guys that will be a part of the adidas Derby Festival Basketball Classic on April 14 are:

Player Pos. College
Chris Allen G Michigan State
Michael Beasley F Kansas State
Austin Daye F Gonzaga
LaceDarius Dunn G Baylor
George Goode F Louisville
Senario Hillman G Alabama
Jamelle Horne F Arizona
Rick Jackson F Syracuse
Antonio Jardine G Syracuse
DeAndre Jordan C Texas A&M
Herb Pope F New Mexico St.
Ty Proffitt G Notre Dame
Anthony Randolph F LSU
Tyrel Reed G Kansas
Jeff Robinson F Memphis
Rakim Sanders F Boston College
Nolan Smith G Duke
Chace Stanback F UCLA
A.J. Stewart F Kentucky
Julian Vaughn F Florida State
Mike Williams C Kentucky

Still no word on TV for this game. Rivals indicates no TV. I have to believe that someone will replay it at some point....FSN or whatever.........

omahazag
03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
The Northwest Shootout between Oregon and Washington will feature GU recruit Steven Gray. That game is scheduled for April 1 at the Chiles Center in Portland. If anyone goes, let us know how he looked. Unfortunately, niether Kyle Singler or Kevin will be playing for the Oregon squad.

4EVERaZAG
03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Six of the 10 best players to be snubbed by the McDonald's All-American game are amongst the top 50 greatest players in NBA history. One is in the NBA Hall of Fame and the other three are sure to be Hall of Famers.
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=910&CID=657645
John Stockton graduated from Gonzaga Prep in Spokane, Wash., in 1980. He moved on to the university of the same name. Gonzaga's basketball program was not recognized nationally as it was now. However, that didn't seem to matter to the soft-spoken floor general. Some argue that Stockton was the greatest point guard of all-time. It is hard to argue with that, considering the former Utah Jazz floor general holds the NBA's all-time assist record with 15,806, and the steals record with 3,265. Amazingly, Stockton missed only 22 games in his NBA career and one McDonald's All-American game.

Rubbadub
03-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Calathes, Beasely, Love and a big for the east that i dont remember the name of have impressed me (I've only been watching since the start of the second half). OJ Mayo has looked pathetic and selfish. The announcers are really bad as well, they dont offer any criticism at all even when something is blatantly obvious.

4EVERaZAG
03-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I think the impressive big you were referring to was Gani Lawal (Georgia Tech). He had numerous powerful dunks and offensive rebounds. That will be a great team next year with him and Young in the frontcourt and Crittenton in the backcourt. Beasley though was by far the best player on the court. He has a great all-around game.

Rubbadub
03-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing about Georgia Tech. If Crittenton and Thaddeus Young stay on board...and they have Lawal coming in, this should be a very good team. The only question mark is there size down low. They have some decent f-c type players but are they enough to improve GT to one of the front runners in the ACC?

SteeleMan
03-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Still no word on TV for this game. Rivals indicates no TV. I have to believe that someone will replay it at some point....FSN or whatever.........

no golden arches = no tv... maybe the Army can kick in some dough... they have the high school football game.... yawn.

CDC84
03-28-2007, 07:18 PM
I can never really gauge players based on an event like that. It just gives you a taste. You need to see them in a real organized game....

James Harden is going to be a special player. It is so rare to see a pure, strong, athletic scoring guard that's a lefty. Your defensive instincts go the other way...he's going to be tough to defend. Good all around player as well.

I still love Kyle Singler as a prospect. I think he's the best all around player in this class right now. If I could pick one Burger Boy from tonight to start a team, he's it.

Daye is better than several of the guys that were on display tonight. Gonzaga is very fortunate to have him........

Rubbadub
03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
CDC, you'd rather have Kyle Singler than Kevin Love or Michael Beasley?

CDC84
03-28-2007, 09:16 PM
CDC, you'd rather have Kyle Singler than Kevin Love or Michael Beasley?

Yes. Just my preference.

Beasley is a major talent, but his competitive spirit isn't always there. BTW...he chose the right college in order to foster a competitive spirit: Kansas State. Huggy Bear will get on him.

Love is really good. He is a talented low block scorer, rebounder and passer, but I think he has a lot of work to do on the defensive end. He gets away with a lot in high school that he won't in college when he has to face guys that are just as strong and more athletic than him. Of course he may not face many of those guys in the Pac 10.

I think in the world of college basketball these days, wing play is so critical, and when I see a guy like Singler that has no glaring weakness, I take him. Plus, I don't have to deal with Stan Love as a part of the package.

BTW...the second guy I would take would be Derrick Rose. He didn't have a super game tonight, but he is by far and away the best PG in this class. And he's a pure PG...not like Mayo or Bayless, who are really combos that are more like off guards at the moment. I am not all that impressed right now with Jai Lucas...doesn't mean that he might end up being really good one day.

Zag79
03-29-2007, 01:12 AM
love looked really good tonight, oj not so much. singler looks solid all the way around like cdc said, he had some smooth plays tonight. great game to watch with tons of talent.

john montana
03-29-2007, 06:31 AM
i've seen singler play a few times. he's the kind of guy that must be fun to play with. that says enough for me.

ZaggyStardust
03-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I thought it was an interesting comment when the announcers said that no team except 2002 Maryland had won a National Championship without a McDonald's AA. That's a pretty telling stat! Glad we have one of our own now - at least statistically we have a better chance!!!!!!