PDA

View Full Version : Arizona's Pennell issues parting words

Zerogame
03-31-2009, 05:05 PM
"I asked [athletic director Jim Livengood] who the next coach was going to be and he wouldn't tell me," Pennell said Tuesday after an exit interview with Livengood.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031826

FuManShoes
03-31-2009, 06:05 PM
I will never understand the Pennell thing. If a guy keeps you competitive and in fact gets you to the Sweet 16 during a tumultuous year, does he not deserve a whiff of consideration as you look for a permanent hire? But alas, from Day 1 we were being told Pennell was just keeping the chair warm. Is it because he didn't have much of a coaching history, didn't carry cachet, was a Lute guy (was he?)? Isn't winning what counts? Guess not ...

Anyway, he has some words of warning for Few or anyone else who gets courted:

As for the future of the Arizona program, Pennell sent a word of warning to Wildcats fans.

"One of the things that is going to hurt Arizona for awhile is, basically, there have been three years missed on recruiting when you get right down to it," Pennell said. "Not that they didn't sign some good guys, they just didn't show up. So you've got some repairs to make in the recruiting world before Arizona can really get back to being Arizona."

JosephZags
03-31-2009, 07:00 PM
The word out of Arizona is that somebody has been signed in principal, but no one knows who it is.

RenoZag
03-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Steve Lavin ?

rennis
03-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Steve Lavin ?

good fit, IMHO

ZagNative
03-31-2009, 08:07 PM
I'll sure sleep a lot better once the Arizona and Oregon coaching situations are resolved - with Mark Few still firmly ensconced on the Boone Avenue campus.

SpokastSports
03-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Come on. A bird's got to be chirping somewhere, right?

Gotta feel for Pennell. Not even told who they're looking at. I really got to respect a program less if they can't even do that for them.

CB4
04-01-2009, 02:06 AM
Few is going to Arizona. His coaching duties at Gonzaga will be taken over by Bol Kong who will be the first ever player-coach in Gonzaga history.

Goshzagit
04-01-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tubby Smith as a possible candidate for U of A. Arizona was interested in him prior to his exodus to Minnesota and it was initially reported that Tubby engaged in talks with Virginia before they hired Tony Bennett. I know Capel, Few, and Pitino are the sexy names being thrown around, but I don't think any of them are planning to leave their respective schools. The only one of three I think would be plausible is Slick Rick who has a daughter who attends Arizona. I could see him taking the position on family reasons alone. The latest "report" is Capel as their next coach, yet he has two McDonald's AA coming in next year at OU and supposedly the next Coach at Duke once Coach K retires. Either way, we'll find out later today or tomorrow because both Rivals and Scout have reported Arizona has found their Coach and agreed in principle on the terms.

UACat5
04-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Hey guys, U of A fan here.

Not trying to stir things up, and no, this isn't an April Fool's day joke.

Word is that there will be an announcement in the next day or two.

Pitino is out. UA pushed hard, but Pitino decided to stay put. The offer was rumored to be competetive with UK's deal. Not as long, because the UA cannot offer up more then 5 year contracts, per the Arizona Board of Regents. But the per year money was competetive.

So most are speculating it's either Capel or Few. A few have thrown Bruce Pearl's name out there too, but god I hope not.

I would be happy with either Few or Capel. There's a lot of upside to both.

As far as Pennell is concerned, he did a great job, and UA fans are greatful for all he did this year. But the bottom line is that he was handed over a team of Lute's players, which included 2 first round draft picks. That's why he was never given any real consideration for the job. Had he put together a final four run, then the UA would have had to given him a serious look.

Goshzagit
04-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the update UACat. I think Capel would be an excellent fit at Arizona, yet I don't see him leaving Oklahoma anytime soon, especially with his incoming recruiting class and in the first phases of building an elite program. That said, I still believe Tubby Smith is a dark horse candidate and a good chance he'll be the next Coach at UA.

Few is staying put.

UACat5
04-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Nope. Tubby has already said he's staying put at Minnesota.

Goshzagit
04-01-2009, 07:21 AM
From the Tennessee boards, it appears they feel Bruce Pearl is leaving for either Memphis or 'Zona. Apparentely, he's been in "hiding" recently and no one has heard from him. Of course its ALL rumor and speculation at this point, but I could easily see Bruce Pearl heading to Tucson. What have you heard UACat? It been fun following the Arizona rumor mill the last few days and its definitely heating up....

Also, I know JL spoke with Baylor's head coach, do you see any chance they go that route?

UACat5
04-01-2009, 07:26 AM
There are some rumors around Pearl. I really hope it's not him. Decent coach, great recruiter, but his teams are just so undisciplined, and he kind of comes across as a slimeball.

Scott Drew's name has come up, but not recently. What he did, considering how bad Baylor was, is impressive. But at this point, if Drew is named, it would mean 7-10 other guys would have had to say no thanks.

Das Zagger
04-01-2009, 09:15 AM
it would mean 7-10 other guys would have had to say no thanks.

I think that's happening right now.

4AmericasTeam
04-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey guys, U of A fan here.

Not trying to stir things up, and no, this isn't an April Fool's day joke.

Word is that there will be an announcement in the next day or two.

Pitino is out. UA pushed hard, but Pitino decided to stay put. The offer was rumored to be competetive with UK's deal. Not as long, because the UA cannot offer up more then 5 year contracts, per the Arizona Board of Regents. But the per year money was competetive.

So most are speculating it's either Capel or Few. A few have thrown Bruce Pearl's name out there too, but god I hope not.

I would be happy with either Few or Capel. There's a lot of upside to both.

As far as Pennell is concerned, he did a great job, and UA fans are greatful for all he did this year. But the bottom line is that he was handed over a team of Lute's players, which included 2 first round draft picks. That's why he was never given any real consideration for the job. Had he put together a final four run, then the UA would have had to given him a serious look.

He took the team to the Sweet 16 and the next coach may not be able to do that for a couple of years or more. How can anyone keep the UA fans happy? You should just keep Pennell. He's pretty darn good.