PDA

View Full Version : Illinois article

Angelo Roncalli
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Confirms four year deal with the Illini. GU plays next year in December in the United Center, as previously reported. The following season has the Illini in the BIS. In 2011, GU will play on campus in Champaign. In 2012, Illinois in the Spokane.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-01-illinois-bits-basketball-apr01,0,5908891.story

229SintoZag
03-31-2009, 04:08 PM
The 2012 game. In Spokane.

At the arena, or at K2?

Angelo Roncalli
03-31-2009, 04:16 PM
MAC.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2008/dec/05/sports/chi-06-illinois-basketball-united-center

hondo46
03-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Hats off to UI they have a set.

rennis
03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Hats off to UI they have a set.

word

229SintoZag
03-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Good to see a nice, quality Big 10 program coming to K2.

Paging Stocktonismyhero--how do you explain this? Gonzaga getting a solid BCS team from the Big 10 to play us at K2? I thought we could never hope for such a dream?

If I were Mark Few I'd get Calipari on the phone and tell him our deal was with him, not his school, and we expect to see Kentucky at K2 every other year indefinitely.

kclubfounder
03-31-2009, 04:36 PM
I would love to have rivalries with Kentucky and Memphis - and a revived Virginia program.

BobZag
03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
I would love to have rivalries with Kentucky and Memphis - and a revived Virginia program.

I'll drink to that.

Nevtelen
03-31-2009, 05:41 PM
MAC.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2008/dec/05/sports/chi-06-illinois-basketball-united-center

I realize you might have better info, Angelo, but I wouldn't base that assumption on that article. I've read waaaayyy to many papers over the years call games GU has played at the arena 'home games' (including a bunch of them discussing the Memphis game this season). The paper never says it'll be in the MAC, it says GU's 'home court'. I don't trust that from a non-NW paper, frankly.

It might be in the MAC, and if so, that's fantastic. But I'd wait for better confirmation than the Chicago Tribune.

bballbeachbum
03-31-2009, 06:50 PM
I'll drink to that.

Cheers!

CDC84
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
I seriously doubt that Gonzaga would have agreed to play Illinois at their on campus arena unless they got a game at K2 in return. It's a different situation from Memphis - the Tigers play their games at an off campus facility. The reason why Oklahoma is playing at Spokane Arena next season is because the first game wasn't played on OU's campus in Norman....it was played in Oklahoma City.

Bruce Weber strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't give Gonzaga any grief about playing a game at K2. He's one of the least egotistical guys you'll find coaching at a major conference school.

StocktonIsMyHero
03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Paging Stocktonismyhero--how do you explain this? Gonzaga getting a solid BCS team from the Big 10 to play us at K2? I thought we could never hope for such a dream?

Oh my gosh, I'm blushing. It's like I just got asked to prom or something! Do you really want to go to the dance with a little wall flower like me? :)

Never said it was impossible. There have been BCS schools in MAC before.

What I have long contended was that it's always going to be a rarity and requires serious money. If the GU administration is going to step up and shell out, great! But overall, it (lack of quality home games) is a tiresome complaint and something fans shouldn't count on happening all the time or constantly b***h about.

Would like to know the money details. Illinois likely wouldn't agree to it without a healthy split of the Battle in Seattle money and probably a sizeable check to play a true away game. Or maybe they are paying GU a pittance to play in Champagne. Who knows?

usd07
04-01-2009, 04:21 PM
I think this is a huge opportunity, Illinois is going to be very, very good. If you look at the recruits they have coming in, I think they will be one of the elite teams in the country. They have the best recruiting class of the Weber era coming in this year and in '10 they have already signed 2 five stars and a 4 star. (including two players who might be top 10, Jereme Richmond who was the first play in Illinois in 30 years to win player of the year as a junior and Crandell Head, younger brother of Luther Head.) Obviousy the Zags future is looking bright as well, this series should be awesome for the Zags and the WCC!

UberZagFan
04-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Such a shock to see 229Sinto posting in this thread...one of only a few topics that gets him out of the OCC.