PDA

View Full Version : Cal to UK, the domino effect

BobZag
03-31-2009, 02:40 PM
So, now that Calipari is at UK, I'm hearing Mike Anderson of Missouri and Tim Floyd of USC as candidates for Memphis. It will be interesting to see what coach fills the vacated spot left by Anderson or Floyd.

The WSU domino effect is likely down to Portland State, St. Mary's, San Diego, as head coaches go.

If Floyd leaves USC, it's possible St. Mary's and San Diego could be involved again, but something tells me USC will try for a bigger, sexier name.

The dominos keep tumbling.

Am very thankful we have Mark Few.

Section 116
03-31-2009, 03:11 PM
According to the Kansas City Star Anderson may be a top candidate for the Georgia job:

http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/817

No offer to Anderson yet according to the Atlanta newspaper:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2009/03/31/uga_anderson.html

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Considering USC's stellar 2009 recruiting class, I would not even think about jumping ship if were Tim Floyd. Plus, Gibson will probably be back, and maybe even DeRozan (although probably not the way he played down the stretch). Timing is everything in this world, and he may be better served if he waits to see the fruits of his most recent recruiting labor before he jumps ship. Plus, is the Memhpis job really that much better than USC?

BobZag
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
USC is a football school and a clear second fiddle to UCLA in hoops. While Memphis is not BCS, you are king of the hill there.

CDC84
03-31-2009, 03:54 PM
If I were Anderson, I would take the Memphis job if it was offered. It's much better than UGA.

bartruff1
03-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Everybody always said he was so happy there and that money was not important and that he liked to fish...

cbbfanatic
03-31-2009, 04:36 PM
if im a decent coach at all i stay FAR away from memphis... that place has the potential to really explode into nothingness... and its not like they have much to fall back on in the case that they really need to rebuild in a big way.

cal was the program.

calipari became WAY bigger than memphis basketball

vandalzag
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
For Floyd to leave Memphis will have to have a "Friends of the Program" program in place that is as active as USC. You have trouble landing the OJ's of the world without friends. That being said if he does leave would Bennett join the murky waters of USC athletics?

2011Zag
03-31-2009, 05:05 PM
For Floyd to leave Memphis will have to have a "Friends of the Program" program in place that is as active as USC. You have trouble landing the OJ's of the world without friends. That being said if he does leave would Bennett join the murky waters of USC athletics?

OJ is a special case. He approached Floyd and told him he was coming, there wasn't any recruiting that took place.

kclubfounder
03-31-2009, 05:12 PM
I hope Giacoletti doesn't end up at Portland State - or somewhere else once the chairs all have someone sitting in them. But unfortunately (for me, not him) I believe he will be sitting in one of those coaching chairs when the dust settles.

BobZag
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
I hope Giacoletti doesn't end up at Portland State - or somewhere else once the chairs all have someone sitting in them. But unfortunately (for me, not him) I believe he will be sitting in one of those coaching chairs when the dust settles.

I'm not so sure. He got burned bad at Utah and I think he's liking the lower profile now.

bigblahla
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM

Ray's defensive scheme prowess gave us all something to talk about the whole season hope he stays. If he does leave hope his replacement is just as defensive motivated.

Go!! Zags!!!

BobZag
03-31-2009, 05:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031846

Looks like the Missouri coach is staying put.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-31-2009, 05:53 PM
How about Jamie Dixon? IMO, I don't think the Memphis gig is a good enough job to pull him out of Pittsburgh.

http://memphisroar.com/2009/03/memphisroars-top-5-candidates-for-the-head-coaching-position-candidate-one/

MemphisRoar’s Top 5 Candidates for the Head Coaching Position: Candidate One

March 31, 2009 by MemphisRoar

How fitting is it that last Friday, former Kentucky head coach Billie Gillespie spoke these words in a press conference last Friday? “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” Memphis fans…officials…boosters…it’s time to pick yourselves up off the ground. We will not be trampled over. One man does not make or break the success of this University’s basketball program. It has been made clear that high-profile players will come to Memphis, that you can win games and that the administration is willing to pay someone big money to do so. Aim high. Beginning a new era of Memphis Basketball, MemphisRoar takes an in-depth who SHOULD be the leading candidates.

CANDIDATE ONE: University of Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixonjamie_dixon

Dixon just completed his sixth season as the University of Pittsburgh’s head men’s basketball coach. Over his time there, he has guided Pitt to its second Big East Championship Title in 2008; led the team to 6 consecutive 20-win seasons, six straight 10-plus win seasons in Big East play and 6 straight NCAA tournaments. Also, during his tenure, he has led the university to 3 NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances (2004, 2007 & 2009) and one NCAA Elite Eight appearance (2009).

Dixon’s resume has been impressive at Pitt, but why would he fit into the style of basketball at the University of Memphis? Because he can turn around a program quickly and keep them winning, something valued greatly by the University and its fan base. Dixon is one of only nine coach in the history of NCAA Division I basketball history to win over 100 games in his first four coaching seasons. He also reached 100 wins quicker than any other coach in the school’s history. Dixon wins at home, as proven with his 80-10 record during his first five seasons, and most importantly, he is an outstanding bench and recruiting coach.

Jamie Dixon has long been recognized as an outstanding talent evaluator. He has integrity with recruits, boosters, fans and players. Dixon has been recognized as a “players’ coach” who demonstrates incredible rapport and work ethic with his staff and team. He is intelligent, honest, confident, well-spoken and true to his word. He is a family man that uses basketball as a lifestyle, not a job. He believes teamwork, defense, rebounding and taking good shots are the keys to winning championships; a philosophy that has been demonstrated at Pitt as they consistently rank among the nation’s top defensive and rebounding squads.

Pittsburgh Providence BasketballAdditionally, Dixon has 17 years of major NCAA Division I coaching experience, including stints at Pitt (nine years), Northern Arizona (four years), Hawaii (three years) and UC-Santa Barbara (one year). At these Universities, he has served as an assistant under a school’s winningest (percentage based) coach in four different stints. Teams that he has coached have won 10 conference titles and advanced to the postseason in 12 different seasons

Dixon also has a few ties to Memphis Basketball as well. Darnell Dodson, a 2009 recruit from Miami-Dade Community College had signed with Dixon at Pitt before eligibility issues forced him from the school. Dodson has close ties to Dixon, and chose to sign with the University of Memphis because of assistant coach Orlando Antigua, a former assistant under Dixon. Dixon would possess an increased ability to keep recruits such as Dodson and his Miami-Dade teammate, fellow Tiger signee Will Coleman.

Additionally, Dixon could persuade Antigua to remain on staff, keeping many of the recruiting roads open from the past season. Dixon allows current and potential signees the ability to step into an NBA arena (FedExForum) and an NBA ready practice facility (Larry O. Finch Center) under a proven coach.

Overall, Dixon is a coach with a great knowledge of the game, sincere heart to fans and players and a work ethic to win a NCAA Championship. With him recruiting the same caliber and character players to Memphis that the fan base is accustomed to having, he would be a perfect selection to the University of Memphis’ coaching vacancy.

Stay tuned to MemphisRoar as we will be adding our leading candidates for the vacant head coaching position at the University of Memphis.

cbbfanatic
03-31-2009, 06:28 PM
no chance jamie dixon would leave pitt to go to memphis.

memphis is NOT a good program, it just had a coach who did a great job there doing whatever he had to to win. calipari is/was bigger than memphis. memphis will slide into complete irrelevance. who would want to go coach there?

vandalzag
03-31-2009, 06:29 PM
OJ is a special case. He approached Floyd and told him he was coming, there wasn't any recruiting that took place.
Yeah that was the made for TV story.

vandalzag
03-31-2009, 06:31 PM
no chance jamie dixon would leave pitt to go to memphis.

memphis is NOT a good program, it just had a coach who did a great job there doing whatever he had to to win. calipari is/was bigger than memphis. memphis will slide into complete irrelevance. who would want to go coach there?

Have to agree with you cbb, hard to imagine a successful Big East taking a step back to be the big dog in a small conference. I would put money on Dixon heading west to AZ or some other Pac Ten school, if he was to make a move.

Zag79
03-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Ray's defensive scheme prowess gave us all something to talk about the whole season hope he stays.

"why the F&*k do we keep letting them shoot 3s?!?! switch up already!"

:lmao:

IODubyaA
03-31-2009, 07:52 PM
I really wonder if Memphis will be able to maintain after Cal leaving, recruits leaving as well as some possible transfers resulting ... I also dont think the next coach will have the type of success that Memphis had recently mainly as a result of those factors. I could end up being wrong but if I were a coach I think I would want to stay away because of the pressure of doing well right away there is going to be at Memphis due to their recent success.

MedZag
03-31-2009, 08:25 PM
I really wonder if Memphis will be able to maintain after Cal leaving, recruits leaving as well as some possible transfers resulting ... I also dont think the next coach will have the type of success that Memphis had recently mainly as a result of those factors. I could end up being wrong but if I were a coach I think I would want to stay away because of the pressure of doing well right away there is going to be at Memphis due to their recent success.

It's looking ugly.

Lawson said he's declaring. Anderson and Dozer graduating. Taggert and Witherspoon are already reporting to be requesting transfer, though Taggert is also considering the draft. DeMarcus Cousins is not locked up since he still hasn't signed a LOI, and has stated he is re-opening his recruiting. Nolan Dennis and Xavier Henry both have opt-out clauses in their LOIs and at least Xavier Henry has said he is planning on following Cal to UK. John Wall has had Memphis listed as #1, but that is not likely now.

It's looking ugly. The unfortunate situation was that Calipari WAS Memphis. Top recruits came there because Cal ran an NBA-like offense, had a track record of getting guys drafted high, and did not pressure players to stay. He pushes his players hard. Memphis does not have a storied tradition to fall back on like KU or UNC et al. Heck, even Arizona is finding that its hard to recruit on tradition alone without a coach as your figurehead.

CodeCobalt
03-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Everybody always said he was so happy there and that money was not important and that he liked to fish...

shut.............up......... why'd you have to go there....?

WE LOVE YOU FEW, Please don't leave us!

Zag79
03-31-2009, 08:39 PM
im really sad he left as its hurts us in a way too. i dont think memphis can maintain, coach cal was responsible for all the success. final 4s, title games, nba players, memphis had it good. we have it great at Gonzaga and we arent close to what memphis achieved.

skan72
03-31-2009, 10:32 PM
It's looking ugly.

Lawson said he's declaring. Anderson and Dozer graduating. Taggert and Witherspoon are already reporting to be requesting transfer, though Taggert is also considering the draft. DeMarcus Cousins is not locked up since he still hasn't signed a LOI, and has stated he is re-opening his recruiting. Nolan Dennis and Xavier Henry both have opt-out clauses in their LOIs and at least Xavier Henry has said he is planning on following Cal to UK. John Wall has had Memphis listed as #1, but that is not likely now.

It's looking ugly. The unfortunate situation was that Calipari WAS Memphis. Top recruits came there because Cal ran an NBA-like offense, had a track record of getting guys drafted high, and did not pressure players to stay. He pushes his players hard. Memphis does not have a storied tradition to fall back on like KU or UNC et al. Heck, even Arizona is finding that its hard to recruit on tradition alone without a coach as your figurehead.

I don't think Lawson Entering the draft is going to hurt Memphis very much at all, no chances.

Haha, just messing with you, I knew what you meant!