PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Cal to Kentucky

Angelo Roncalli
03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
According to Channel 3 in Memphis, John Calipari is informing his staff right now that he is leaving for the University of Kentucky.

Rick Bozich of the Louisville Courier-Journal has also received confirmation from a friend of Calipari that he has taken the job.

Calipari, who earned $2.3 million a year at Memphis, will receive a significant raise that will make him among the highest-paid college coaches.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090331/SPT0104/303310074/1097

gozagswoohoo
03-31-2009, 10:57 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090331/SPT0104/303310074/1097

I'm curious to see what happens now to Mizzou's Mike Anderson. They finally get their program headed into the right direction, and apparently he is now getting some nice offers from 3-4 different places. I heard on the radio that Memphis has interest in him.

BoZarth
03-31-2009, 10:58 AM
I only hope the next coach continues the series with us.

Go Zags!!!!

dnj116
03-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Best of luck Memphis. Didn't think he'd go because of everything he had going for him in Memphis, but that's certainly hard to turn down trippling your salary. Hope their program doesn't see too sharp of a decline as a result (with recruits leaving, etc.) but after Arizona's coaching woes, they did ok.

Memphis may not be the same team next year, but they'll rebound from this. Let's just hope Few doesn't receive some sort of similar "incentive" to leave...

CDC84
03-31-2009, 11:13 AM
BTW - Demarcus Cousins just verbaled to Memphis....he hasn't signed a LOI. Xavier Henry has an opt out clause that enables him to be let loose of his LOI if Calipari coaches elsewhere. It goes without saying that both elite players will be following Cal to Kentucky.

wazZag
03-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Maybe John Wall too?

hoopster777
03-31-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm curious to see what happens now to Mizzou's Mike Anderson. They finally get their program headed into the right direction, and apparently he is now getting some nice offers from 3-4 different places. I heard on the radio that Memphis has interest in him.

I would think going from Missouri to Memphis would be a step down...Missouri is a pretty solid job, in a major conference that can recruit in the Midwest but also in Texas. If Memphis was to go into the SEC it would become an appealing job.

Das Zagger
03-31-2009, 11:39 AM
I only hope the next coach continues the series with us.

Go Zags!!!!

Eh, I'd rather get a series with UK instead of Memphis. Would a home and home be too much to ask?

Das Zagger
03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
I would think going from Missouri to Memphis would be a step down...Missouri is a pretty solid job, in a major conference that can recruit in the Midwest but also in Texas. If Memphis was to go into the SEC it would become an appealing job.

Cal was getting $2.3mm while Anderson, if I read it right, was only in the six-figures range.

Money isn't everything but it sure helps.

hoopster777
03-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Cal was getting $2.3mm while Anderson, if I read it right, was only in the six-figures range.

Money isn't everything but it sure helps.

Well with success brings more money. If Anderson leaves it'll be to a major conference school, or Missouri just pays him more money. Its pretty amazing the turnaround he achieved at Missouri in one year....unless its a school like Arizona calling, I'd stay at Missouri with a higher contract.

Das Zagger
03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Well with success brings more money. If Anderson leaves it'll be to a major conference school, or Missouri just pays him more money. Its pretty amazing the turnaround he achieved at Missouri in one year....unless its a school like Arizona calling, I'd stay at Missouri with a higher contract.

Missou will still be short of what Memphis was paying Cal. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4029709) Anderson isn't going to settle for less than what they were paying they guy he replaced.

Rangerzag
03-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Eh, I'd rather get a series with UK instead of Memphis. Would a home and home be too much to ask?

Doesn't really need to be instead of Mempis.

Once and Future Zag
04-01-2009, 06:04 AM
How long till they run Cal out of town for not getting national championships every yea as an annual event I wonder...

LongIslandZagFan
04-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Perhaps we can get a home and home worked out with Coach Cal again. Keep Memphis as well... but would love to see Kentucky every year.