PDA

View Full Version : Best College Basketball Towns to Visit

Angelo Roncalli
03-31-2009, 07:13 AM
5. Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington

Gonzaga University officials call it the "Gonzaga Effect": This small private school in Spokane has qualified for the NCAA tournament for the 11th straight year. The Gonzaga Bulldogs men's basketball team is an obscure team that seems to emerge from thin air each March. This year, the team entered the tournament seeded No. 4 in the South region.

"There have been a lot of one-and-done schools, who make a splash and disappear, but we've been able to sustain it," said Dale Goodwin, a spokesman for the university.

Fans in "the Kennel Club" at Gonzaga go wild for basketball despite the school's smaller size. For more than 17 years of the Kennel Club's existence, the Bulldogs have won more than 75 percent of their games, including over 90 percent during the past eight seasons, according to the Gonzaga athletic department.

Visitors will be delighted to watch the games in the school's arena, the $25 million McCarthey Athletic Center, which opened in 2004. Before the opening, the basketball team was playing in a glorified high school gym, university officials said.

On Hamilton Street near the university, visitors will want to head to Jack & Dan's Tavern, which belongs to John Stockton, a former NBA and Gonzaga player. The Bulldog, which claims to have the best burgers in town, is also a popular hangout during the games.

Meanwhile, the school is preparing to host the NCAA first- and second-round men's basketball tournament next March.

The town of Spokane, tucked into eastern Washington, is excited to welcome visitors. A single event will probably bring in $2.75 million, according to the Spokane Regional Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Interesting... But WSU is hosting the 1st & 2nd round next year, not GU.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/03/31/great.basketball.towns/

MedZag
03-31-2009, 07:28 AM
And J&D's is owned by John's father, Jack.

And I have never even seen a burger let alone ate one in the Bulldog.

gamagin
03-31-2009, 07:34 AM
And J&D's is owned by John's father, Jack.

And I have never even seen a burger let alone ate one in the Bulldog.

• J&D's is owned by jeff condill (a former teammate of John's) and kevin mcdonald (Gu grad). Jack sold his half to Kevin a couple of years ago; Jeff bought his half from original co owner, Dan Crowley (RIP), more than 10 years ago.

• Bulldog used to have a decent burger but I haven't had had one in years. the restaurant portion is in the s/e corner of the pub and has gone through at least a million cooks.

gu03alum
03-31-2009, 07:41 AM
Bulldog used to have a decent burger but I haven't had had one in years. the restaurant portion is in the s/e corner of the pub and has gone through at least a million cooks.

I love going to the Bulldog before a game, but it isn't for the great burgers. It is for the simple fact that I can actually get a beer before a game. I love jack and dan's also, but never before a game. If you can get a beer it is usually in a glass that is hot from the dishwasher.

gamagin
03-31-2009, 07:48 AM
I love going to the Bulldog before a game, but it isn't for the great burgers. It is for the simple fact that I can actually get a beer before a game. I love jack and dan's also, but never before a game. If you can get a beer it is usually in a glass that is hot from the dishwasher.

upon arrival and you'll be fine. the atmosphere at J & D's pre game is the best, imo. The regulars are waiting for the ticket holders to leave so they can get their seats, and the ticket holders are getting excited for the game.

The craic, as the Irish say, is the best.

gu03alum
03-31-2009, 08:57 AM
upon arrival and you'll be fine. the atmosphere at J & D's pre game is the best, imo. The regulars are waiting for the ticket holders to leave so they can get their seats, and the ticket holders are getting excited for the game.

The craic, as the Irish say, is the best.

I agree that the atmosphere is great, but when I go to a bar I want to be able to get a beer when I want a beer and not have to wait forever. And then when I get the beer I want it to not be in a hot glass. I love going to J & D's for lunch though when it is much easier to get service.

hoopster777
03-31-2009, 09:34 AM
This article is pretty spot on, Spokane has rallied around Gonzaga as good as any city could. It makes sense too, its really the only gig in town...WSU athletics are down, and now with Bennett out, both basketball and football could be down for a LONG time. Plus, almost anyone who doesn't have WSU ties living in Spokane will choose Gonzaga over WSU to support. When an entire city the size of Spokane rallies around one school's athletics, its easy to see why it becomes a basketball city.

zagco
03-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Zagco always preferred the Bulldog. About 15 years ago, there was a smokin' hot bartender/waitress that worked there all the time. SMOKIN' HOT! The thing to do with food at the Bulldog is to have a calzone delivered from next door at Pete's--did that all the time. No one minded. :)

dpouley
03-31-2009, 10:46 AM
I can't believe that article did not give any love to The Chef (or as it is now know as: The Star)

Late night Karaoke with the locals...a lot of fun.