PDA

View Full Version : Why You Can't Believe Everything on the Net

Angelo Roncalli
03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Consider this article today from Bleacher Report:

So who would want this [WSU] So who would want this job?

Gonzaga's Mark Few seems to be a possible candidate.

This may be Few's way into a big conference with few bumps in the road. He currently coaches less than 200 miles away from Pullman.

Dig a little further on the site and you'll find the author's name is Zack Farmer, and that he is a recent graduate of Saint Mary's College.

"seems a possible candidate?" What kind of journalism is that? It's pull it out of your rear end speculation by one who apparently doesn't know enough facts to formulate any plausible speculation.

"He coaches less than 200 miles away from Pullman" This ranks up there with you can see Russia from my house. Maybe Sarah Palin teaches geography at SMC. It's a little like saying Barack Obama and John McCain are two guys who have never been in my house. True. But barely.

Then there's the matter of Mark Few having turned down Indiana, Virginia, South Carolina and a host of others. And now he's a "possible candidate" for WSU because its a way into a "bigger conference." Well, I guess I'm a "possible candidate" too, now that I think of it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/147708-wsus-tony-bennett-takes-virginia-job-who-takes-his-place

justinwalshBIL
03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
bleacher report is journalism? that guy is trash, Mark Few has been turning down major D1 offers for YEARS. He turned down Arizona this year already by the way, why would he want WSU? It's mediocre by comparison

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Consider this article today from Bleacher Report:

Dig a little further on the site and you'll find the author's name is Zack Farmer, and that he is a recent graduate of Saint Mary's College.

"seems a possible candidate?" What kind of journalism is that? It's pull it out of your rear end speculation by one who apparently doesn't know enough facts to formulate any plausible speculation.

"He coaches less than 200 miles away from Pullman" This ranks up there with you can see Russia from my house. Maybe Sarah Palin teaches geography at SMC. It's a little like saying Barack Obama and John McCain are two guys who have never been in my house. True. But barely.

Then there's the matter of Mark Few having turned down Indiana, Virginia, South Carolina and a host of others. And now he's a "possible candidate" for WSU because its a way into a "bigger conference." Well, I guess I'm a "possible candidate" too, now that I think of it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/147708-wsus-tony-bennett-takes-virginia-job-who-takes-his-place

It's kind of ironic that you did the exact same thing that you blamed the author of doing "pulling something out of your rear end." The quote that you attributed to Sarah Palin was actually said by Tina Fey in a spoof on SNL. Palin has never once uttered those words. Ang, you should heed your own advice, "You can't believe everything you read on the net." If your gonna bring up politics on the mens hoops board, be very, very careful.

surfmonkey89
03-30-2009, 07:05 PM
It's kind of ironic that you did the exact same thing that you blamed the author of doing "pulling something out of your rear end." The quote that you attributed to Sarah Palin was actually said by Tina Fey in a spoof on SNL. Palin has never once uttered those words. Ang, you should heed your own advice, "You can't believe everything you read on the net." If your gonna bring up politics on the mens hoops board, be very, very careful.

The quote isn't exactly right, but don't pretend it didn't happen at all.

---

PALIN: And, Charlie, you’re in Alaska. We have that very narrow maritime border between the United States, and the 49th state, Alaska, and Russia. They are our next door neighbors.We need to have a good relationship with them. They’re very, very important to us and they are our next door neighbor.

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They’re our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

ZagNative
03-30-2009, 07:12 PM
I discovered long ago that BleacherReport.com has no credibility. My google RSS feed is set up to specifically exclude them from queries, because they require no special credentials from their contributors, journalistic or otherwise. Wierd thing is I've noticed cbssports.com linking their stuff lately.

Das Zagger
03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I cannot say enough bad things about BR.com, their writers (if you can call them that) are hacks and its basically a glorified, independent blog.

Just by me typing that sentence above makes me overqualified to write for that site.

justinwalshBIL
03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
ZagNative, I'd usually never say this, because in all reality it probably hurts my credibility, but CBS sports isn't always with the best integrity- I covered the Brandon Jennings game against Duncanville HS his junior year and filmed for them at the age of 17. I mean yeah, I'm way ahead of the curve for my age, and I follow the journalism ethics to a T, I have a good reputation in the business, but let's be real. I was only 17, and even though I was legitimate and credentialed and had a solid rep because I started ball is life before I was done with HS, it probably shows that CBS sports isn't afraid to do dubious things.

justinwalshBIL
03-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I mean nowadays my reputation isn't even a question and I've built that the right way and my standing is much better, but think about it, I was only 17 at the time- just because I was legit, doesn't mean that everyone they use to cover stuff is. I mean seriously think about what I just said. If they let me do it when I was a junior in HS, interviewing Brandon Jennings even though he was my age... What do you think stops them from saying screw journalistic integrity and linking to doubious claims?

hondo46
03-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Pullman is less than 200 miles from Spokane.

Angelo Roncalli
03-30-2009, 07:25 PM
You guys are correct. Tina Fey said "you can see Russia from my house." But the point wasn't politics, it was hyperbole. And as observed, Pullman being less than 200 miles from Spokane is true...

But what about Pullman being less than 200 miles from Spokane makes Mark Few a possible candidate for the WSU job? If WSU was in Spangle, would that make Few a possible candidate?

snebzag
03-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Simmer, Simmer Angelo.

I load of crap is not worth getting upset about. Just flush it.
Unfortunately the next seven months will be filled with horrid speculation, misquotes, tall tales of headhunting and postings of individual granduer for others programs in the hunt. Our table is set at the head. No doubt.

justinwalshBIL
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Angelo, let's just agree it was poorly written. He probably thought it was a fun tidbit for readers because Few loves the area and probably thought the only way he'd leave was if it was close by. But nothing about that job is appealing in comparison to Gonzaga. Few has said for years that he loves Spokane, he loves Gonzaga, he loves the entire atmosphere. He's turned down much better jobs than this without so much as batting an eye. It was just a horribly placed stat that he pointed to a dubious at best, laughable at worst claim

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-30-2009, 07:47 PM
That should be a theonion.com article.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
The quote isn't exactly right, but don't pretend it didn't happen at all.

---

PALIN: And, Charlie, you’re in Alaska. We have that very narrow maritime border between the United States, and the 49th state, Alaska, and Russia. They are our next door neighbors.We need to have a good relationship with them. They’re very, very important to us and they are our next door neighbor.

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They’re our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

This make no sense. The quote not only, "isn't exactly right", as you put it, it's incorrect, so I don't have to pretend it didn't happen because it didn't. Tina Fey is not Sarah Palin. :doh: You can see Russia from an island in Alaska. That is a fact. Please question your professors, it'll help develop your critical thinking.

ZagSlug
03-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Saying she could see Russia from her house would sound better than this.

COURIC: Explain to me why that enhances your foreign policy credentials.

PALIN: Well, it certainly does because our-- our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They're in the state that I am the executive of. And there in Russia--

COURIC: Have you ever been involved with any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

PALIN: We have trade missions back and forth. We-- we do-- it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where-- where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is-- from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to-- to our state.

kdaleb
03-30-2009, 10:40 PM
OMG! Seriously folks... do we need to rehash one of the crappiest interviews ever here. Let's accept Angelo's general point & move on...

Saxon_zag
03-30-2009, 11:15 PM
This make no sense. The quote not only, "isn't exactly right", as you put it, it's incorrect, so I don't have to pretend it didn't happen because it didn't. Tina Fey is not Sarah Palin. :doh: You can see Russia from an island in Alaska. That is a fact. Please question your professors, it'll help develop your critical thinking.

Oh god.... People palin is a nut lets not try to say she's not

Yes tina fey said what was originally stated.. But the funny thing about the sketch snl did about her interview is tina fey really didn't change to much of what she said, in fact some of it was even word for word, yet people STILL found it hillarious....

CodeCobalt
03-31-2009, 01:08 AM
Well, I guess I'm a "possible candidate" too, now that I think of it.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR POSSIBLE PROMOTION! woo!