PDA

View Full Version : I wore my Gonzaga shirt on Beale Street...

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2007, 05:17 PM
yesterday and got a lot of nods and smiles. My wife and I have been driving across country form Cali to SC and yesterday we stopped off in Memphis for an hour and did the touristy thing. We walked in Memphis and our feet were 10 feet off of Beale. lol

One group of 4 were sitting at an outdoor cafe, one of the dudes was wearing a baseball cap with an A, not sure if it was 'bama or Arkansas, either way his wife pointed to my shirt, smiled and said, "hey look, Gon-zah-ga". We then proceeded to ask another guy to take our photo and afterward I asked where he was from he said Chicago and I replied that I was from Los Angeles but moving to SC. He said, "I figured you were from California, wearing you Gon-zah-ga hat." I didn't have the heart to correct his pronunciation or tell him that GU is in Spokane, Wa. not California. If I wasn't such a computer neanderthal I would post a pic of us, with me in my Gu t-shirt. Oh well.

Finally last night we spent the night in Nashville at my old roommate's house. His wife, who played college hoops and brother played at Miami of Ohio said, "Look at you representing Gon-zah-ga".

So, despite the fact that people still have no idea how to pronounce Gonzaga I was so proud to wear my shirt and received nothing but totallly positive looks and responses. :D

SpudDawg
03-27-2007, 06:24 PM
The mispronunciation bothers me a lot more when it's done by so-called experts on TV.

wazZag
03-28-2007, 09:48 AM
There are more students at Gonzaga that pronounce the name incorrectly than you can possibly imagine. It makes my brain hurt.

sonuvazag
03-28-2007, 09:59 AM
I went to Gonzaga Prep and then on to Santa Clara before coming back home. I actually had a classmate at SCU correct me on the pronunciation of my high school name. He told me all about Italian vowels and I said I don't care. You don't tell me how to pronounce my alma mater. That's like telling someone how to pronounce his or her own name.

The disrespect. Sheesh.

webspinnre
03-28-2007, 10:03 AM
It's kind of like telling people that Notre Dame should be pronounced No-truh Dom instead of No-ter Dame, because that's how it's pronounced in French. Of course Gonzaga is pronounced as Gon-zah-ga in Italian, but we aren't in Italy, and over the course of time we've developed our pronunciation just like Notre Dame did.

LargeWilliam
03-28-2007, 11:25 AM
I go places where when they see my Zags hat they say "hey Jimmy Earl, lookie thar; that feller's got him one o' them dah-gum Gun-zag-er ball caps. What was that feller's name with that mustache and all that har?" Then they usually spit their chew and sip whatever it is they are drinking.

BruddahZagJPoe
03-28-2007, 12:38 PM
People do it all the time and its annoying, but are they really going to get us confused with anyone else? Its no different than people trying to pronounce Hawaiian names or words....
Hey we Zags always look on the bright side right, they now recognize us, right?
Go Zags

Ikancagin
03-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I'll be wearing my Gonzaga shirt(s) at the Stanford Invitational this weekend. Hope it doesn't upset any trees.