PDA

View Full Version : Seth Davis - Arizona looking to Few

WhitworthZAG
03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Seth Davis reports Arizona looking at Mark Few as next coach.

tobizag
03-30-2009, 12:21 PM
:link: :link:

WhitworthZAG
03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Seth Davis was on the Dan Patrick show today. Might be on SI.com now.

RenoZag
03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Andy Katz said the same thing on the "Mike & Mike" show on ESPN this morning. . .it's old news re: AZ courting Coach Few and has been fodder for numerous threads on this board since Lute Olson's soap opera last Fall.

Hope Coach Few stays.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
It is buried in this article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/59741/index.html?eref=fromSI&eref=T1). That being said... IMHO, Seth must have big cash on Few going to Zona since he seems to push it with every chance he gets. My guess is that if Seth DOES have big cash on it... he is going to lose money.

MDABE80
03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Those guys just say stuff so people will listen. They have to! It's their job if nobody cares what they say. Pitino too is rumored to be an AZ candidate. When will people learn that guys like Pennell are jewels. No big name people are needed........just perform well and it falls into place.

JAGzag
03-30-2009, 01:02 PM
If it happens I hear Calipari might be looking to move ... that guy really would take the Zags to the next level - he's a recruiting goldmine!

gamagin
03-30-2009, 01:27 PM
angelo just posted that bennett is going to virginia.

bballbeachbum
03-30-2009, 01:47 PM
angelo just posted that bennett is going to virginia.

Tony, not Randy...I would have thought maybe the other way around

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4028642

Bowser
03-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Seth Davis reports that Bowser is looking at Tyra Banks as next wife.

bartruff1
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
If it happens I hear Calipari might be looking to move ... that guy really would take the Zags to the next level - he's a recruiting goldmine! I can't imagine any set of circumstances .. none ...nada.....nothing that would make or should make that happen.. he would not be a good fit here and neither would his type of player ...

VinnyZag
03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
I can't imagine any set of circumstances .. none ...nada.....nothing that would make or should make that happen.. he would not be a good fit here and neither would his type of player ...

I'm gonna take a big leap of faith and assume that Jag was joking.

BobZag
03-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Seth Davis reports that Bowser is looking at Tyra Banks as next wife.

Andy Katz reports BobZag refuses to be outdone by Bowser and is looking at Halle Berry or Heidi Klum as next wife. A decision is forthcoming.

[Few is staying, folks.]

bartruff1
03-30-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm gonna take a big leap of faith and assume that Jag was joking. Some of us can't keep up ...

wazZag
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
To be sure, the speculation will never end regarding Few and job possibilities.

That being said, is this the year where he will turn down (or get turned down for) the two jobs that we've all assumed might pique his interest the most (OR and AZ)?

I'll be pretty secure every year headed into the off season if he sticks around this year.

GUZagDenver
03-30-2009, 02:36 PM
I think we have to at least consider what Seth Davis says as a little serious. He is a pretty credible source and obviously believes this for a reason. I hope Few stays, but I would have to believe he is at least seriously considering the Arizona job. Especially with several other coaches on the move. Hope he stays.

Angelo Roncalli
03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Pitino.

SpokastSports
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Pitino's wife buying a two million dollar house in 'Zona supports this idea.

Birddog
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Pitino's wife buying a two million dollar house in 'Zona supports this idea.

He's trying to get away from Laetner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFNSl4IFRfg

SpokastSports
03-30-2009, 03:00 PM
...and the excuse given by Pitino and the fine people of Louisville was that while having time off from coaching during the summer, the Pitinos would love to golf and enjoy the surroundings of Tuscon. Ummm, since when did Arizona become enjoyable during the summer?

Fonebone
03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Bob,

Why so stingy with yourself ? Why not Halle AND Heidi ? They are both very busy and travel a lot, and so would likely not be in town much at the same time.

JosephZags
03-30-2009, 05:20 PM
...and the excuse given by Pitino and the fine people of Louisville was that while having time off from coaching during the summer, the Pitinos would love to golf and enjoy the surroundings of Tuscon. Ummm, since when did Arizona become enjoyable during the summer?

Actually, Pitino's daugther goes to U of A, which explains the house purchase.

hoopster777
03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I think we have to at least consider what Seth Davis says as a little serious. He is a pretty credible source and obviously believes this for a reason. I hope Few stays, but I would have to believe he is at least seriously considering the Arizona job. Especially with several other coaches on the move. Hope he stays.

Seth Davis is about as credible of a source as my next door neighbor. He's an absolute moron, and picked West Kentucky to beat Gonzaga. Not only that, he had Wake Forest going to the Final Four.......I have no idea why CBS goes with Gumbel and Davis, Greg Anthony isn't too bad but you'd think they could find a better sportscaster than those two.

dpouley
03-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Not only that, he had Wake Forest going to the Final Four.

So did Andy Katz.

That pick is/was a head scratcher.

ZagsGoZags
03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
I hate to think what would happen if Few left
let's take a donation to increase his salary
some of his coaches would go with him
some of the new recruits might go with him

if he figured he will never get a national title with a team in the WCC he might be right, where national champions do come from the pac 10 sometimes

I am going to go put my head under the pillow and try to sleep this off

GUZagDenver
03-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Seth Davis is about as credible of a source as my next door neighbor. He's an absolute moron, and picked West Kentucky to beat Gonzaga. Not only that, he had Wake Forest going to the Final Four.......I have no idea why CBS goes with Gumbel and Davis, Greg Anthony isn't too bad but you'd think they could find a better sportscaster than those two.

There were a lot of people who made some bad picks in the tourney. I'm not sure if you remember, but Wake was ranked #1 in the country at one point in the year. Was it really that bad of a pick going into the tournament? Scott Van Pelt picked Wake to go to the Final 4 too. He also picked....oh yeah GONZAGA! Man, what an idiot. I have no idea why ESPN gives him his own radio show and puts him on Sportscenter.

All I'm saying is that Seth Davis probably has some pretty credible sources and knows a little more than the rest of us. If I remember correctly he even did an article on Few a couple of years back where he was invited to come stay at his house. I just don't think opinions like this can be brushed off lightly. Few may not take the job, and I hope he doesn't, but these college hoops analysts know a lot more people and have a lot more information than us.

Birddog
03-31-2009, 06:38 AM
but these college hoops analysts know a lot more people and have a lot more information than us.
They also engage heavily in speculation to fill out column inches. As long as it's plausible it's fair game to print.

DixieZag
03-31-2009, 11:26 AM
With my title caveat, I think if Few wanted another job this decade, Bill Grier would not have left, somewhere in the bowels of the Athletic Dept. Few told Greir, "you need to be a head coach, and I AIN'T LEAVING, so find the right fit and take it" -- and that was exactly what happened. Besides, Few doesn't WANT to be in the Pac 10, its in his blood to beat the **it out of the Pac 10 schools and do it with players not from downtown Seattle but with Players he finds under an Alberta snowbank. This is his calling, quite frankly, the ideal job, if he wanted to leave, came open in Seattle, now many years ago, he turned that down, and there is a reason. GU is HIS, he is the father of the family and he isn't turning his back.

Now, if he goes to Oregon or Arizona, see my title and pray that Lean or Ray is ready to take over.

cjm720
03-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Gonzaga is what Coach Few knows. He's been more than isntrumental in building the brand of Gonzaga, recruits nationally, and there's no sign of it ever stopping. I belive that Few believes he can win a national championship at this small school in a crappy conference, contrary to what others say.

Go Zags!!

VanZagar
03-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Given the last two winters and today's weather in particular; it wouldn't surprise me if everyone headed toward a warmer climate. Virginia, Arizona, even Eugene looks like a big improvement over these frozen parts.

bartruff1
03-31-2009, 01:32 PM
I hate to think what would happen if Few left
let's take a donation to increase his salary
some of his coaches would go with him
some of the new recruits might go with him

if he figured he will never get a national title with a team in the WCC he might be right, where national champions do come from the pac 10 sometimes

I am going to go put my head under the pillow and try to sleep this off would aproach what Phil Knight considers WAM....(walking around money )....

webspinnre
03-31-2009, 03:02 PM
My best guess is this is a one-sided thing - UA wants Few, but Few's not particularly interested.

BobZag
03-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Few ain't going anywhere. This is silly.

Sheesh.

theirishzag03
03-31-2009, 05:15 PM
I belive that Few believes he can win a national championship at this small school in a crappy conference, contrary to what others say.

Go Zags!!

I REALLY wish I believed this, but he seems so happy to set the goal of winning the WCC. He needs to proclaim (and believe) that we ARE going to the final four before it will ever happen. We are not going to be the classy little school that sneaks our way into the FF.

ZagsGoZags
03-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks BobZag
i needed that