PDA

View Full Version : Predict next year's starting line-up - Game 1

cjm720
03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
It seems like we're headed for a three guard lineup, which I'm not a huge fan of against more quality opponents.

Meech
Bouldin
Gray
Daye
Sacre

Gray is simply too talented to not start; Meech is a true point guard that has proved capable. Daye is still out of position, and Sacre will be very hungry.

Either way, our bench is going to be very deep, albeit a bit inexperienced.

Bench:

Bol, Manny, Gibbs, Harris, Dower, Poling, Foster, Olynik

I see Manny and Gibbs spelling Gray, Bouldin, and Meech; I see Bol, Dower, Poling and Harris spelling Daye and Sacre. I see Olynik and maybe Dower redshirting. Few will have a lot of different rotations out there, especially the 3-5 positions.

What's your starting line-up?

MississppiZag
03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Starters

Meech
Gray
Bouldin
Daye
Sacre

Bench

Kong
Poling
Arop
Harris
Gibbs

Olynyk will definitely redshirt. Dower, maybe. I don't know how Few will do it, but he will need to try and cut the 11 or even 12 man roster down to a 9 or 10 man rotation.

TuckC
03-30-2009, 10:40 AM
PG Demetri Goodson (So)
SG Matt Bouldin (Sr)
SF Steven Gray (Jr)
PF Austin Daye (Jr)
C Rob Sacre (So)
---
06) SG-SF Manny Arop (Fr)
07) SF Bol Kong (So)
08) PF Andy Poling (Fr)
09) C Will Foster (Sr)
10) SF Elias Harris (Fr)
11) PG Grant Gibbs (Fr)
12) PF Sam Dower (Fr) RS
13) PF-C Kelly Olynyk (Fr) RS

Goshzagit
03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
PG: Meech
SG: Bouldin
SF: Harris
PF: Daye
C: Sacre

I have an inkling that Harris is more athletic and skilled than most give him credit for, so I'm predicting he beats out Kong and starts the season at SF.

I think the first off the bench is Gray(CG) followed by Kong(SF/PF) or Poling (PF/C). If Daye leaves for the NBA, then substitute Poling for him. IF Austin stays, I believe he will play more SF this year and switch between Harris and Kong at the 4considering both are capable of playing the 4 against certain teams. Poling will log some significant minutes as well at C/PF. As much as I appreciate Dower's game, I think he plays sparingly at the PF position next year(<10 mins a game). Trust me, Sam will be great, yet play similar minutes to Rob's frosh year.

Gibbs will give Meech/Bouldin/Gray a breather every so often and Manny can provide some depth at SG and even SF against more guard-oriented teams.

And of course, Olynyk for the red-shirt.

BobZag
03-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Probably the returning Zags, but you just never know who will step up, and sometimes it's a bit unexpectedly. If two or three of the five newcomers and two redshirts step up, Few has an 8 man rotation. Just two or three step up. I think it'll happen.

ZagManFan
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Meech
Bouldin
Gray
Dower (Daye gone)
Sacre

JohnOGU
03-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I eventually see:

Meech
Bouldin
Daye/Gray
Daye/Poling
Sacre

I think a lot of people are severely underestimating what Poling brings to the table. The kid is good.

Our bench is going to be probably the deepest bench we've ever had.

We have Foster, but i'd like to see another true big...

mgadfly
03-30-2009, 05:13 PM
PG Meech
G Bouldin
G Gray
F Daye
C Sacre

That's the easy part. The hard part is figuring out who is going to be
6th Man: G Gibbs
7th Man: G/F Arop
8th Man: F/C Harris

(Some have predicted deeper rotations but Few usually only uses 7 or 8 even when we seem deep.)

NorthWestZag
03-30-2009, 05:28 PM
It seems clear who the starting 5 are.

Between the seven freshman and Big Will, only 3 of them are going to step up.

It is anybody's guess, but it has to be the best 3 out of the bunch.

My guess... Kong, Harris, and Arop. Redshirt KO for sure, and probably Dower unless he shows he is much better than Poling.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-30-2009, 05:48 PM
I agree with what's been said about the starting line-up. Goodson, Bouldin, Gray, Daye, Sacre.

As far as who'll get minutes off the bench, it's anybody's guess. Grant and Andy have the advantage of having been in the system for one year already, but there's also been so much hype about how good Bol, Manny, and Sam are. Also, Elias seems physically to be the most prepared to play D1 ball next season of all the newcomers (6'7", 225), and, if the comparisons to Diamon Simpson are even remotely true, then he needs to get on the court immediately! Kelly would seemingly have a lot to gain in terms of strength and conditioning by redshirting, so that may be a good option for him, but what about Sam? Do we redshirt Sam so our post-guys are staggered in terms of the eligibility? All tough decisions, and I look foward to seeing how it all works out (and speculating about those decisions over the spring and summer!!).

tyra
03-30-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't recall an offseason where there was less clarity about the next year's PT distribution than this one. For me, that's what makes it exciting. The players are going to compete for time and some will show themselves and some won't and I don' tthink it's possible for us to know much at this time. But I would make the following observations: 1) As always, we think there is more PT to distribute than will be. Some of these incredibly talented young men simply are not ging to get PT. Statement of fact. 2) Next year will be an unusually young team with likely only one starting senior (Matt) and that bodes very well for the year after and the year after . . .

CB4
03-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Only a few people on this board have actually seen the recruits play so other than that everyone is just going off what has been said on this board. All these predictions are pretty superficial if you ask me.

jim77
03-30-2009, 11:50 PM
1. Meech pg
2. Bouldin sg
3. Daye sf
4. Poling pf
5. Sacre C

6-10/6-11/7-0 this should cure the rebounding issues...we don't need 3 guards with Austin on the floor.

JohnOGU
03-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Only a few people on this board have actually seen the recruits play so other than that everyone is just going off what has been said on this board. All these predictions are pretty superficial if you ask me.

Manny is the man. That kid can flat out play. Watched him and Dower over the Summer. Dower is really raw, but has the potential for greatness. Can play inside or out and has great moves. Another positive is he can run the floor amazingly well. Threw down a huge transition dunk on one of the current players over the summer. Absolute filth.

I've heard from pretty much everyone that Bol is a more skilled player than Manny. Manny is just the better athlete. The coaches LOVE Elias I've been told from an insider.

I like Jim77's lineup. Love Poling at the 4.

I dont know about you guys, but I'm pumped for the next season. I'll definitely miss the guys who are moving on from this year though.

Saxon_zag
03-31-2009, 12:27 AM
1. Meech pg
2. Bouldin sg
3. Daye sf
4. Poling pf
5. Sacre C

6-10/6-11/7-0 this should cure the rebounding issues...we don't need 3 guards with Austin on the floor.

Thinking about that, i really like the idea of that one. Let poling and dower battle it out for the 4 spot.

skan72
03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Thinking about that, i really like the idea of that one. Let poling and dower battle it out for the 4 spot.

Steven Gray is NOT going to be coming off the bench next year, especially not behind Poling or a freshman in Dower.

#1zagfan
03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
PG: Demetri Goodson (SO)
SG: Steven Gray (JR)
SF: Matt Bouldin (SR)
PF: Austin Daye (JR)
C: Robert Sacre (SO)

Bench:
(6) Bol Kong (SO)
(7) Manny Arop (FR)
(8) Andy Poling (FR)
(9) Sam Dower (FR)
(10) Will Foster (SR)
(11) Grant Gibbs (FR)

(RS) Elias Harris (FR)
(RS) Kelly Olynyk (FR)

Zag79
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
PG: Demetri Goodson (SO)
SG: Steven Gray (JR)
SF: Matt Bouldin (SR)
PF: Austin Daye (JR)
C: Robert Sacre (SO)

bouldin at the 3? i think he is a much better player at the 2.

skan72
03-31-2009, 10:29 PM
bouldin at the 3? i think he is a much better player at the 2.

If we run 3 guards out it won't matter. Meech will play point with Bouldin a bit of point too, but otherwise Gray and Bouldin will just play the wing as far as I can tell.

CanadianZagFan
04-01-2009, 04:10 AM
What if Matt Work his tail off this off season and drops a few pounds and increases his speed, could he be the starting point guard? Bouldin has great vision and will bring that senior leadership to the position. GU could exploit size advantages in the post with Matt, and Gray may even take the other teams pg on defense. Goodson would take a much bigger role off the bench and come in early in a lot of games.

Going bigger to start games with
Bouldin
Gray
Harris/Kong/Arop..not sure who fits here, Arop and Harris might rebound
better, Kong may help the flow of the offense better.
Daye
Sacre

Tmac5360
04-01-2009, 07:08 AM
I don't think Matt has to do anything to be the point. He could do it now in my opinion. But Meech is the point going forward. He will be great!!!

webspinnre
04-01-2009, 08:00 AM
This is tough for me. Clearly our best 5 player would be Sacre, Daye, Bouldin, Meech and Gray. However, neither Bouldin nor Gray really fit at the 3/wing spot. Of those 5, the one I think the only one who could potentially lose his spot would be Gray, because he's not big enough to play the 3, and Bouldin and Meech both make more sense given the roles. However, I'd bet that Gray begins the season as the starter. If he plays well, I think he keeps the spot. If not, I could see one of Arop, Kong or Harris taking the three, or maybe Poling or Dower stepping up and pushing Daye to the three.

bballbeachbum
04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Bouldin
Gray
Daye
Poling
Sacre

Meech comes off the bench to provide leadership to the bench in general, who will all be freshmen, except Will. Meech is needed there in that role imo, in games early on, in practice bonding with those young guns; he can still get 30 minutes a game.

Poling I have no idea about, but if he brings what I'm reading to soem degree, the beauty of starting him is the ability to move Austin to the three; that would be great imo.

really looking forward to seeing the new guys!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Zag79
04-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't think Matt has to do anything to be the point. He could do it now in my opinion.

he would have to get better handles. not to talk matt down, but he really isnt a PG. meech or matt at the point bringing the ball up is an obvious decision for coaching staff. im surprised you couldnt see his dropsies in handling the ball too much at the point against NC. hes a terriffic 2, even can play the 3 (less effective) but not the 1. sorry gang.

rennis
04-01-2009, 06:37 PM
It seems like we're headed for a three guard lineup, which I'm not a huge fan of against more quality opponents.

Meech
Bouldin
Gray
Daye
Sacre

Gray is simply too talented to not start; Meech is a true point guard that has proved capable. Daye is still out of position, and Sacre will be very hungry.

Either way, our bench is going to be very deep, albeit a bit inexperienced.

Bench:

Bol, Manny, Gibbs, Harris, Dower, Poling, Foster, Olynik

I see Manny and Gibbs spelling Gray, Bouldin, and Meech; I see Bol, Dower, Poling and Harris spelling Daye and Sacre. I see Olynik and maybe Dower redshirting. Few will have a lot of different rotations out there, especially the 3-5 positions.

What's your starting line-up?

In order of Importance:

-Bouldin
-Gray
-Daye
-Sacre
-Meech

hls97
04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
I still a potentially severe problem with next year's team. No inside scoring -- the same thing that plagued this team with Josh not being a back to the basket scoring threat. Sacre just is not there yet. Can Poling do it? Probably not yet.

It is a real problem we've had ever since J.P. Batista graduated. Until we have a good interior scoring threat, we will not take the next step, I'm afraid.

JohnOGU
04-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I still a potentially severe problem with next year's team. No inside scoring -- the same thing that plagued this team with Josh not being a back to the basket scoring threat. Sacre just is not there yet. Can Poling do it? Probably not yet.

It is a real problem we've had ever since J.P. Batista graduated. Until we have a good interior scoring threat, we will not take the next step, I'm afraid.

I love Josh and all, but Andy is already a better back to the basket big than he is. Josh is a true power forward in every sense of the position.

ExtremeJim
04-02-2009, 07:44 AM
im surprised you couldnt see his dropsies in handling the ball too much at the point against NC.

The team isn't scheduled to play North Carolina next season. Matt's handles are plenty good enough against all but Top Five opponents, and when he isn't battling muscle spasms in his back. We may not have a point who can handle against Top Five opponents, but then, few do.

Bouldin, PG
Gray, SG
Daye, SF
Dower, PF
Sacre, C

Poling will get minutes backing up Sacre. Daye will never again play at the 4 for GU, it's time for him to assume the position he will play in the NBA; that will be the agreement based on which he will return for one more year. Goodson will back up Bouldin, because Matt is Few's "man" on this team. Arop will get minutes at the 2, Kong at the 3. I don't know what happens to Grant Gibbs, but I don't think he's going to like it much. Harris...well, someone in this lineup will be injured, and Harris will take his place and make everyone wonder why he wasn't the starter to begin with. Olynyk will redshirt.

Good depth, short on experience. This bunch will probably struggle during the non-conference season, then tear through the WCC like this year's team did as they learn their respective jobs.

dim4sum
04-02-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't think Sacre is by any means a guaranteed starter. There are a lot of people coming in that can post up, rebound and score and may bring more intensity to the table. I think Few may be able to break free of his paradigm of favoring the upperclassman, rather than sticking with merit alone, regardless of previous experience. I hope, too, that he simplifies the playbook next year.

Frazzle
04-02-2009, 10:10 AM
And of course, Olynyk for the red-shirt.

Just wondering if I missed something? While I haven't seen any of the newcomers play, I though Olynyk was rumored to have a pretty polished game.

zag buddy
04-02-2009, 02:10 PM
an interesting lineup would be:

Meech
Boulden
Daye
Poling
Sacre

Zag79
04-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Bouldin, PG
Gray, SG
Daye, SF
Dower, PF
Sacre, C

meech will be point next year, thats a done deal.

MDABE80
04-03-2009, 12:24 AM
PG's- Matt and Meech
SG's- Matt and Gray
Power forwards- Dower and Austin and Harris
Small forwards- Poling and Austin
Center- Poling and Sacre

8 great kids. Not sure where Kong or Manny will fit. Maybe they need to learn higher end D1 ball. And I'm not ignoring Gibbs. He's very very good. Well, that's 11 kids. I hope David Stockton walks on. Will will get minutes in carefully chosen situations. It's a heck of a year 2009-2010. Just gets better doesn't it??

Saxon_zag
04-03-2009, 12:49 AM
PG's- Matt and Meech
SG's- Matt and Gray
Power forwards- Dower and Austin and Harris
Small forwards- Poling and Austin
Center- Poling and Sacre

8 great kids. Not sure where Kong or Manny will fit. Maybe they need to learn higher end D1 ball. And I'm not ignoring Gibbs. He's very very good. Well, that's 11 kids. I hope David Stockton walks on. Will will get minutes in carefully chosen situations. It's a heck of a year 2009-2010. Just gets better doesn't it??

Kong has played multiple d-1 teams from what i have read, and lit some up.. I don't think we will see poling at the 3

David stockton, no offense, but doesn't belong anywhere near a zags jersey... Walk-on or not i have seen some kids that have tried out for the team and they should get on before him for sure... We don't exactly need a 5'9 130 pound guard

ExtremeJim
04-03-2009, 09:01 AM
meech will be point next year, thats a done deal.

OK. But that wasn't the subject of the thread. It was, "Predict next year's starting line-up - Game 1" Goodson may well log more minutes at the point than Bouldin over the course of the season, but Matt is the senior, and barring injury, he will start there, especially because it will facilitate his presentation of skills to the NBA.

Few has his featured players, and for the 2009-2010 season, Matt Bouldin and Austin Daye are those men. It's time for those two to cash in, and Coach will take care of them. Meech will have his time, but it won't be at the first game this fall.

Zag79
04-04-2009, 02:20 AM
but matt is out of position at the point which is why meech will start. i understand matt is thee guy next year, but he wont run the point much.

meech
bouldin
gray
daye
sacre

azzagfan
04-04-2009, 07:56 AM
I think it will be:
1 - Meech
2 - Bouldin
3 - Gray
4 - Daye
5 - Sacre

The secondary break with Meech pushing the ball the way he can has me very excited. Combine that with Bouldin filling the right wing, Gray the left wing, and Daye as the trailer on the secondary break, and they all need to be ready to spot up and drill 3s. It will be very tough to close out to the shooters when you're having to help off to keep the speedy PG from going all the way to the hoop.

Any questions on how this can work, review the UNC game as Ty Lawson and Carolina do a great job at it. I don't think Meech will be at that level, but with his incredible speed, there's a solid potential for the team next year to really light it up from the perimeter. The fact that Sacre will likely not be a tremendous offensive post threat makes it more likely that we'll need to burn teams with penetration and 3s.

zag67
04-04-2009, 08:42 AM
First, before I even start I want to say that Meech will get more than his share of minutes per game. But I think that you might see:

Bouldin
Gray
Arop/Kong/Harris/Daye
Daye/Poling
Sacre

I think that between Arop, Harris, Kong and Poling, which ever shows that they can play the position the best and knows the offense/defense, then that person will start. My first guess will be Poling and that gives the rest a chance to learn the plays.

The reason that I am saying that Meech will not be the starter is that I am not sure that Meech, Gray and Bouldin can compete against the top teams. This puts Matt out of positon. There are enough minutes at the 1/2 for the three of them.

DADoZAG
04-04-2009, 09:15 AM
an interesting lineup would be:

Meech
Boulden
Daye
Poling
Sacre

Right on, imho.

While I love the tools that Gray has, he's missing one (desire). Until he finds that tool and we see him diving on the floor, flying out of bounds, ..etc, he'll come off the bench. Poling needs to continue to gain weight, Sacre needs to forget about dribbling or ever dropping the ball much below his chin, both I believe will happen by November.

Meech - the motor (will lead the team in minutes)
Bouldin - the rudder (will lead the team in assists)
Daye - the scorer (will lead the team in, well thatís obvious)
Poling - the cleaner (will lead the team in rebounds and second chance points)
Sacre - the enforcer (will lead the team in blocked shots and possibly turnovers)

Off the bench will be Gray, KO, the King, Gibbs, Manny and Dower, not in any particular order.