PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check............

TacomaZAG
03-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Now that the season is over, I think it is time for a reality check on the status of the program. All over this board there is talk of "getting to the next level", "we need a warrior", "where are the dirty Zags", and many more threads talking about the "shortcomings" of the team this season.

Excuse me, people, we played in the Sweet 16 this year, have the exact same number of Sweet 16 appearances as UNC in the last 11 years, were the last non-BCS team standing, the last team on the west coast left standing, etc. This season was a HUGE success, not the disappointment so many on this board would like everyone to believe.

Here is a question for all the naysayers.........What is this "next level" you so often refer to?????? If we aren't there, who is??????? We aren't UNC, Duke, Kansas, Memphis, or UCONN, but other than those five, who is???? You know when PITT last went to the FF..........how about 1941.

This year we went as far as Duke, Kansas and Memphis, over half of the "next level" teams in the country. Additionally, Pitt and Louisville failed to make the FF, UCLA and AZ didn't go farther than we did, I could go on and on.

All this talk of needing a "warrior" or a "banger" is so much hot air. I'm guessing that everyone would consider Brockman from UW, Griffin from UO and Blair from PITT to be "warriors" or "bangers", and how far did they go????????? Who is the "banger" who led Villanova to the FF, who is the MSU "warrior" in the paint??????? Give it a rest, people, the 7 foot, 290 pound center who can jump out of the gym doesn't come along very often, and when they do there is no guarantee that they will bring a National Champoinship to the school they represent (anyone remember Wilt Chamberlain at Kansas, that team finished 2nd, must have been a disappointment). Larry Bird didn't lead his team to the National Championship, what a bum.........

We are one of the two best non-BCS programs in the country, with Memphis. Hard to be any better than that. We are the envy of every non-BCS program in the nation, other than our above mentioned Tiger brothers and sisters. Again, hard to be any better than that.

Let's try really hard to have realistic expectations for next years team. With all the talk on this board about Rob next year, if he doesn't average 20 and 20 someone will find fault with his performance. If he doesn't lead the team in blocked shots and floor burns, he must be lazy or under achieving.

It was a hell of a ride this year, just like the previous 10. Enjoy it for what it is, and realize that what happens at Gonzaga year in and year out is the envy of the vast majority of the college basketball world. Sure, we got taken to the woodshed by UNC in our final game, but how many other programs in the country have beaten the tarheels 50% of the time they have played them, and have a winning record against the mythical ACC?????

Perspective, people............

Sorry for the long post, but this has been brewing inside me since Saturday morning.

Go ZAGS

gu03alum
03-30-2009, 09:35 AM
ditto

Great post tacomazag.

MontanaZag
03-30-2009, 09:45 AM
as good of post as I have ever read on this site. Thank you!

Reborn
03-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Gonzaga coaching staff does the VERY BEST that they can to get the best athletes year in and year out, and do a very good job in recruiting. Some fans seem to think that just because we want a specific type of player or even a certain player, that we just snap our finger and they come running. Gonzaga had one Mc D's All American on our team. North Carolina had 7. And I'm sure that the comparisons between Gonzaga and many of the Elite basketball programs is very similar. I think we need to give our coaching staff some credit for what we do with the athletes we do get.

Honestly, I get irritated by people who say the Zags are not warriors. THEY ARE! Do you imagine that you just waltz your way into the Sweet 16. Some of you seem to think it's pretty damn easy to get to the Sweet 16. Well ask, UCLA, USC, UW, Arizona St. and Cal. Ask Wake Forest, Marquette, Maryland, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Texas, LSU, Western Kentucky, Michigan, Boston College, Florida St, Tennessee, Butler and Illinois. People these are all GREAT GREAT college basketball teams who did NOT make it to the Sweet 16. And then throw in Kentucky, Notre Dame, Florida, WSU, Standford also great teams and great coaches who did not even make the tournament. Dang it! Give our team some credit people.

We have plenty of warriors on our team, and plenty coming in. Mark Few and his staff will continue to recruit the best players they can get to come to GU. Few is taking a new approach by going international big time. I am anxious to see what effect it has on our team. I have a huntch, it is going to be a very clever move by Mark Few.

Birddog
03-30-2009, 09:55 AM
10 freakin paragraphs,and not one word about recruits or recruiting, WTF? This is the "off' season, if yer not beetchin then you should focus on recruits! You've been around long enough to know that. I'm gonna start a thread
TacomaZag......such a waste.

just kiddin, great post

zag944
03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
The amount of criticsm this team takes for its "limited" success is quite ridiculous.

3 of the last 5 years, weve lost to a higher seeded team, and Davidson should NOT have been a 10 seed (23rd in both polls and on a 22 game win streak at the time).

We let the ESPN guys trying to create conversation or the Husky fans that act like they solved world hunger when their team has a good season get to us too much. Meanwhile, our guys have made the S16 5 times in the last dozen years. Anyone that calls this program "disappointing" seriously needs to re-evaluate their expectations.

BobZag
03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Surfmonkey and CDC84 should copy/paste their posts here

229SintoZag
03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with Tacomazag's post. It is accurate.

There is also nothing wrong with Zag fans wanting to push it to the next level. Being so close to the next level for a decade now, it is natural to want to continue to improve and make further progress, in new frontiers yet to be explored.

Simply wanting improvement and new pinnacles for this program is a good thing. So is appreciating all the things we do have--which are unique and to be treasured and respected.

Not everyone who is thrilled with the status of our program is a loser content with a program that has plateud. Not everyone who wants to go to the Final Four is a spoiled fan with unrealistic hopes. It is possible to appreciate what we have and to be happy for it, while at the same time to hope for more and better things to come. Indeed, one price for continued success is heightened expectations. For most golfers, winning a major on the PGA tour is a career accomplishment. For Tiger Woods, not winning a major is regarded as a failure. Past success establishes the baseline for future expectations. This is not a phenomenon unique to Gonzaga basketball and its fans.

Let's all get along now, enjoy this off-season, regroup and look forward to next year. Mal is right--to be continued, indeed. Like many here, I still believe the best is yet to come for Gonzaga basketball. I cannot wait.

TacomaZAG
03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
My HOPES for GU basketball are as high or higher than anyone. However, my EXPECTATIONS are not, and therein lies the difference. I hope and believe the future is very bright for this program, whether or not that includes a FF. If we are on a plateau, and I don't necessarily believe we are, I would equate it to the last base camp before the summit of Everest. Reaching the last base camp and failing to summit does not deem the expedition a failure.

The discussions around "if only we had the right center/point guard/wing", "if only we had the right coach", "if only our guys were tougher/bigger/stronger/quicker", "if only we had more Burger Boys" we would be in the FF for sure miss (IMHO) the beauty of GU basketball entirely. It is because the team has succeeded in spite of not having the typical formula for success that makes the successes taste so sweet and the defeats hurt so bad.

By saying appreciate it for what it is, I don't mean be satisfied and not hope for more. I mean, enjoy the journey instead of focusing on some ultimate goal that may never be reached. And, please don't ever EXPECT a FF or National Championship to judge a season, a team, a coach, or a player worthy.

I was in tears after the WKU game, and the same eyes shed tears of a different type a few days later. The journey never disappoints, even if the destination isn't what we hoped for.

I can't wait for next year and my next opportunity to follow the ZAGS. I picked them to win it all this year, bet my heart instead of my head. It was the best $10 I ever spent. I truly believe we had the talent to get there, we just came up a couple games or a different seed short. I'm OK with that.

Go ZAGS

Fonebone
03-30-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm hoping that one of the board moderators could collect a couple of these excellent posts, the first one by Tacoma Zag in this thread, perahps the two that Bob Zag refered to, and combine them into a single post that could be kept at the top of the board along with the other permenant ones. It would be the "Perspective Thread," always there to remind us a more balanced perspective. When people start whinning too much, then just link them to the Perspective Thread.

skan72
03-30-2009, 03:42 PM
I for one do appreciate this very much, a run to the Sweet Sixteen is great. But, we are getting the talent now that hopefully will push us there every year, so we can keep recruiting good and maybe even better talent. I love what we did this season, having UConn on the ropes, taking them to OT, advancing to the Sweet Sixteen, beating many top 25 teams. It was FANTASTIC.

But, the next level everyone is talking about is also justified. The Memphis, Kansas, etc. that you mention have been to Final Fours, National title games, Elite 8s (as consistently as you can in college basketball). That is what we, these so called "naysayers", are hoping for.

Don't get me wrong, this season was great, but what I'm hoping for is more of this to come and more after the Sweet Sixteen to come. Start getting some of those McDonald's AA or top 40 recruits that Memphis always swing. I know how we recruit, the guys would have to be classy kids and there are some of those almost every year. Any given year there may not be kids like that, so we don't get those AAs that year, oh well.

I love what our team has done, did, and is in the process of doing in the future. But I know the goal is not to make it as far as the Sweet Sixteen every year.

UberZagFan
03-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Uber's not sure if he's agreeing or disagreeing with anyone or everyone on this thread. If what is being said is "enjoy the moment", Uber agrees. While it is certainly acceptable (and IUHO, expected of a true fan) to hope for the best, it is quite another to expect it. But more problematic is the sense that some fans maybe missing out on enjoying what is here and now. Maybe they just express themselves differently--maybe their coping mechanism is to either or both: 1) bash what GU has nows; 2) claim that what GU will have in the future will be better.

Whatever, just don't let what you see today pass you by. Because you may be witnessing the best. USF fans of the 50s probably weren't thinking another 50 plus years would pass between championships; UNLV fans after back to back final fours and a NC probably didn't think it would take 16 years before they would see another win in the NCAAs.

zag67
03-30-2009, 03:53 PM
I like Tacoma and the rest would like to have seen us make it higher up the ladder. But I also have to say that this year and the previous years have been fun to watch and follow. We are considered one of the best 25 teams in the nation and are on TV more than almost all of the other teams.
We lost our big this year, otherwise we might have made it further. And I say that meaning, our regular season "might" have been better and therefore ended up with a better seed. Because I believe that NC is either the best or one of the 2 best teams in the nation.
And if you take the previous year, we had 2 major injuries (also lost a player (Theo) that we thought would be our big) and we do not have the NC or Duke talent to be able to replace these players. And like was mentioned, Davidson should have been a lot higher seed, but the committee likes those types of matchups.
Starting next year, I think that we may have the "number" of players that would allow us to be able to cover certain injuries. But again they are going to be young and raw. So we cannot expect miracles in the beginning. They will need to grow and learn each others moves, tendancies (good and bad), and how to play together. I cannot wait to watch next and following years.

surfmonkey89
03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Surfmonkey and CDC84 should copy/paste their posts here

Maybe someone can merge the thread?

cbbfanatic
03-30-2009, 05:00 PM
you guys are going to hate this...

"Well ask, UCLA, USC, UW, Arizona St. and Cal. Ask Wake Forest, Marquette, Maryland, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Texas, LSU, Western Kentucky, Michigan, Boston College, Florida St, Tennessee, Butler and Illinois. People these are all GREAT GREAT college basketball teams who did NOT make it to the Sweet 16. And then throw in Kentucky, Notre Dame, Florida, WSU, Standford also great teams and great coaches who did not even make the tournament. Dang it! Give our team some credit people."

the majority of those teams could have easily handled akron and wku...

UberZagFan
03-30-2009, 05:04 PM
you guys are going to hate this...

"Well ask, UCLA, USC, UW, Arizona St. and Cal. Ask Wake Forest, Marquette, Maryland, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Texas, LSU, Western Kentucky, Michigan, Boston College, Florida St, Tennessee, Butler and Illinois. People these are all GREAT GREAT college basketball teams who did NOT make it to the Sweet 16. And then throw in Kentucky, Notre Dame, Florida, WSU, Standford also great teams and great coaches who did not even make the tournament. Dang it! Give our team some credit people."

the majority of those teams could have easily handled akron and wku...

Aside from disagreeing with you that a majority of those teams would have beat WKU, all of those teams would have been wiped by UNC as well.

cbbfanatic
03-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Aside from disagreeing with you that a majority of those teams would have beat WKU, all of those teams would have been wiped by UNC as well.

absolutely, might have lost to that night's UNC by 30+, but still, think they could have gotten there pretty easily.

cant argue with getting a solid draw, but i really would like to see gonzaga take down a powerful team in the tournament in the near future. i mean, how many single digit seeds have even gone down to the zags since the initial 3 runs of E8, S16, S16? 8 seed cincy? 6 seed indiana? im sorry, but neither of those two teams was all that impressive

maybe im being overly critical, but for a program that has racked up so many reg season wins lately, i want to see them take down someone big in the tournament

BobZag
03-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Last night's game was a great gauge of our progress of our program, and the reality is that we need to reset our expectations.

Look, there are a handful of schools that are expected to compete for the national championship year in and year out. Where I'm sitting those are: UNC, Duke, Memphis, UConn, Louisville, Kentucky and maybe UCLA and Kansas.

The next level are those that are perennially Top 10 and are trying like heck to get to the Final Four. Those are typically the best of the BCS conferences: Pitt, Villanova (great coach), Oklahoma, Indiana, Michigan St, Syracuse, Arizona, maybe a couple others. Top programs that can occasionally put together a team that can win it all.

The point isn't nailing the exact list. The point is: look at that list! There's your Top 15 or so programs right there.

We're in the next tier. I would define our group as Top 15-20 programs that every few years or so can put together teams that can get into the Top 10. We need to pick off a few recruits from the teams listed above to get to their level. That's not going to be easy, but it's possible. And even if we get 1-2 it's doubtful we'd be able to do it year in and year out.

So what does that mean for us?

Right now we're a perennial Top 15-20 program. Making the leap to Top 10-15 program is the logical next step, and will incredibly difficult if not impossible. Being a perennial Top 10 program is really out of the question. Look at that list folks. We don't have the conference, budget, location, or willingness to lower our academic standards needed to get there.

Our goals should always be to win the conference, win the tourney, get a protected seed, and get to the Sweet 16. Once you're in the Sweet 16 all kinds of things can happen, and if we're lucky enough to have put together one of those top 10 teams maybe we can make a deeper run.

Expecting the Final Four is unrealistic, and expecting next year's team to go further is unrealistic in the extreme. It's unfair to the players and coaches that are working to hard to continue (and advance) the great success of the program.

Finally, I'm sure many people will read this and think I'm being negative, or a doomsayer, or whatever. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Looking at KenPom, there are 344 schools. The fact that we're in the top 20 is amazing and something to be immensely proud of. Next time we get all uppity about the fact that our team might not be good enough to make the Final Four we need to consider that there are over 320 schools looking up at us.

We're incredibly lucky to be where we are today. We should spend more time appreciating what we've accomplished instead of projecting our fairy-tale fantasies on a bunch of kids and program that are already overachieving, then ripping them a new one when they don't meet those fantasies.

Win the conference. Win the tourney. Get a protected seed. Get to the Sweet 16 and hope for the best.

Seems like a pretty nice life.

Fromwaydowntownbang,
Surf

cbbfanatic
03-30-2009, 05:49 PM
that was a very good post by surfmonkey, in my opinion

only thing i'd change is that there are more than 5 schools on that next level with GU. more like 15-20, they just all cant be strong at the same time as they often play in the same conference with each other, and the top 1-15.

very cyclical

zagfan1
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
I disagree with changing expectations. If North Carolina hadn't played an "A+" game and we made less turnovers we could have won that game! There is just less room for error in these type of games. We have the talent to win it all. We are probably one great player away from making this come to fruition. I am pretty happy with going to the sweet 16 this year but I refuse and let me repeat myself, I refuse to say that this team is not final four material. The pieces didn't fall together as planned. We all have a right to our opinions. I would like to think the team can go all the way and win it all. I think that provides for some serious mental stimulation. I haven't personally intertrepeted any posts to think we were all seriously disappointed with the team. I think the consensus was we were happy they made it to the sweet sixteen and sad when they bowed out. It was an incredible ride.

ZagLawGrad
03-30-2009, 06:14 PM
I was a lot happier and enjoyed the season a lot more after the UConn game when expectations were adjusted accordingly. Sweet 16 is pretty sweet considering there's what, 300 + teams out there that would have loved to trade places with the Zags?

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Last night's game was a great gauge of our progress of our program, and the reality is that we need to reset our expectations.

Look, there are a handful of schools that are expected to compete for the national championship year in and year out. Where I'm sitting those are: UNC, Duke, Memphis, UConn, Louisville, Kentucky and maybe UCLA and Kansas.

The next level are those that are perennially Top 10 and are trying like heck to get to the Final Four. Those are typically the best of the BCS conferences: Pitt, Villanova (great coach), Oklahoma, Indiana, Michigan St, Syracuse, Arizona, maybe a couple others. Top programs that can occasionally put together a team that can win it all.

The point isn't nailing the exact list. The point is: look at that list! There's your Top 15 or so programs right there.

We're in the next tier. I would define our group as Top 15-20 programs that every few years or so can put together teams that can get into the Top 10. We need to pick off a few recruits from the teams listed above to get to their level. That's not going to be easy, but it's possible. And even if we get 1-2 it's doubtful we'd be able to do it year in and year out.

So what does that mean for us?

Right now we're a perennial Top 15-20 program. Making the leap to Top 10-15 program is the logical next step, and will incredibly difficult if not impossible. Being a perennial Top 10 program is really out of the question. Look at that list folks. We don't have the conference, budget, location, or willingness to lower our academic standards needed to get there.

Our goals should always be to win the conference, win the tourney, get a protected seed, and get to the Sweet 16. Once you're in the Sweet 16 all kinds of things can happen, and if we're lucky enough to have put together one of those top 10 teams maybe we can make a deeper run.

Expecting the Final Four is unrealistic, and expecting next year's team to go further is unrealistic in the extreme. It's unfair to the players and coaches that are working to hard to continue (and advance) the great success of the program.

Finally, I'm sure many people will read this and think I'm being negative, or a doomsayer, or whatever. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Looking at KenPom, there are 344 schools. The fact that we're in the top 20 is amazing and something to be immensely proud of. Next time we get all uppity about the fact that our team might not be good enough to make the Final Four we need to consider that there are over 320 schools looking up at us.

We're incredibly lucky to be where we are today. We should spend more time appreciating what we've accomplished instead of projecting our fairy-tale fantasies on a bunch of kids and program that are already overachieving, then ripping them a new one when they don't meet those fantasies.

Win the conference. Win the tourney. Get a protected seed. Get to the Sweet 16 and hope for the best.

Seems like a pretty nice life.

Fromwaydowntownbang,
Surf

This is my all-time favorite post by you, Surf/BZ. I thought the part above that I highlighted was particularly well struck.

mainer6
03-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I have coached soccer at Peninsul Community College for the last four years. The last two we made the semi-finals. We are beating schools that have more than triple the enrollment we do. Awesome right. Fantanstic. Totally over-achieving.
However, that is not what we have in mind at the start of season. We want to win it all. Is that unrealistic to think that we can out-recruit Seattle and Portland schools? Maybe, but that is the idea year after year. We want the grand prize. There is absolutely nothing wrong with players and fans wanting to be at the highest level. And it would be wrong for Gonzaga to be content with being "the best non-bcs school."

thibaulm
03-30-2009, 07:17 PM
my guess is everyone will look at this season differently when we find out we lost to the eventual national champion.

UNC was the preseason perdiction for national champion... there was a point at the start if the season where people were speaking of the potential of a perfect season

we lost to a fantastic basketball team who shot the lights out on our great defense. who lead the nation in scoring... who has the national poy

we could very well be one of the 8 best teams, just be played the best in the sweet 16 so we werent in the elite 8

skan72
03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
my guess is everyone will look at this season differently when we find out we lost to the eventual national champion.

UNC was the preseason perdiction for national champion... there was a point at the start if the season where people were speaking of the potential of a perfect season

we lost to a fantastic basketball team who shot the lights out on our great defense. who lead the nation in scoring... who has the national poy

we could very well be one of the 8 best teams, just be played the best in the sweet 16 so we werent in the elite 8

I do not know which game you were watching, but our defense was anything but great. Yeah, the stat that we had the second best field goal percentage defense in the nation is great, that being said look at the talent/skill level of the teams we play regularly. Our defense and taking care of the ball on offense were very poor against UNC. From everything involved in our half-court defense to our suspect transition defense.

thibaulm
03-30-2009, 08:28 PM
I do not know which game you were watching, but our defense was anything but great. Yeah, the stat that we had the second best field goal percentage defense in the nation is great, that being said look at the talent/skill level of the teams we play regularly. Our defense and taking care of the ball on offense were very poor against UNC. From everything involved in our half-court defense to our suspect transition defense.

i am saying that on a season standpoint rather then a single game... even though we may have been playing weaker opponents, you cannot say we weren't a great defensive team. look at what we did to bryant and mills in the wcc tourny and what we did to akron in the second half..

like i said, it was UNC... nothing to hang your heads over

ZagsGoZags
03-30-2009, 09:33 PM
What strikes me, somewhat hauntingly, is BobZag's comment that we do not have
THE CONFERENCE
THE LOCATION
THE WILLINGNESS TO LOWER OUR ACADEMIC STANDARDS

to be in the Final Four every year, or top 10 year after year

the truth hurts

jim77
03-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Good posts.

This year's team had a great season...28 wins and a top 10 ranking....not too shabby.

I wouldn't say I have high expectations...but I do have high hopes. I feel next year's team has an interesting combination of folks. I believe next year's might even surpass this team due to a few things:

1. If Meech isn't the fatest guy in college basketball..he's darn close. Just ask Memphis how fast he is. Did ya notice he's never really looking for HIS shot, he's looking to set someone else up. This guy is similar to Patty Mills except he's twice the defender. He's the ultimate drive and dish guy. As teams are gonna have problems staying in front of him.

2. Sacre and Poling.....these 2 are not gonna be out on the perimeter looking to drain a 3...just NOT their game. In fact they will be standing right in the paint when Meech arrives....or Matt or Steven's 3 doesn't fall. They will also allow Daye to use more of his offensive wizardry...cause those 2 will man the boards and it'll take a tow truck to get them out. If Rob's foot totally heals the guy is gonna be a monster....do you remember the UCONN game 2 years ago??? Rob was just a freshmen but, he was a MAN on the inside. Even adrien and Thabeet noticed.....he's even stronger now. He can jump too....he's vey athletic. There will be NOBODY in college baLL WHO CAN PUSH HIM AROUND. This guy is NOT timid at all....he's gonna be a force. In fact I doubt he lasts all 4 years if he stays healthy.

3. Bouldin,Gray, Daye. These guys have a lot of big game experience....Meech does too. Matt will no doubt be the leader of the team. This team will also still have 3 very deadly 3 shooters....and I hope Meech shoots 500 a day during the off season to compliment his speed as well as keeping folks from sagging. The outside shooting will be very strong next year. We will also need Steven to drive the hoop more.....I think this kid copuld explode...he tore up Uconn with his driving then it just dissapeared..it needs to come back. Gray is a double threat as is Matt...drain (3's) and drive! And guess who's waiting for the put backs??? The blues brothers (as in blue collar) Poling and BIG ROB.

4. Next year's team is gonna have the FINESSE label ripped right off in Maui next year. Playing GU is gonna turn into a very Physical undertaking...and I don't care if its NC either. Net year's team might not have 6 guys (they'll still have 3 or 4) who can score 20 points but they may have a center who can get 20....rebounds. Next year's team is gonna get a lot of second chances at scoring due to rebounding. Powerball is coming back to GU. The days of us coming down the court and hoisting 5 or 6 3's in a row are over.....we are gonna take it right down their throat.....but we can still beat you fron the outside.

5. We will have a young bench but, we will have a talented bench....alond with a 7'5"" big man another year wiser with hopefully a couple more post moves. I'd love to see him and Rob protect the hoop together....Yes, I'm very hopeful and have great confidence in our players and coaching staff...should be an interesting year.

Nike may have to make us another NEW uni...this time they need to be BLACK and BLUE! LOL!

CodeCobalt
03-31-2009, 02:05 AM
I don't think there is a person on this board who isn't proud of the Zags. The thing is, you can't really doubt that UNC is a better team. Gonzaga can no doubt compete against them, but UNC and many other teams consistently win big games. I for one feel that there is nothing wrong at looking for ways to improve, and consistently beat the big guys, not just beat em when we're at our best, we always need to play our best.

bballbeachbum
03-31-2009, 09:38 AM
What strikes me, somewhat hauntingly, is BobZag's comment that we do not have
THE CONFERENCE
THE LOCATION
THE WILLINGNESS TO LOWER OUR ACADEMIC STANDARDS

to be in the Final Four every year, or top 10 year after year

the truth hurts

at the exact same time, it makes me proud to support Gonzaga. For me, these are the facts that inspire, make me appreciate all the more what Gonzaga accomplishes and is all about

BobZag
03-31-2009, 10:05 AM
That post is auhored by surfmonkey, not me. I only copy/pasted it here.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-31-2009, 10:21 AM
That post is auhored by surfmonkey, not me. I only copy/pasted it here.

So then Roy Orbison didn't write it either.

BobZag
03-31-2009, 10:46 AM
So then Roy Orbison didn't write it either.

Jury is still out on that. :)