PDA

View Full Version : 2009-2010 OOC Schedule

zagfan07
03-30-2009, 07:35 AM
What's the OOC schedule looking like for next year? I know we'll be in Maui during Thanksgiving and playing at Memphis during conference play, but does anyone know what other big games will be on the schedule next year? Illinois? Tennessee? I need something to hold me over for the next 8 months...

CDC84
03-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Illinois (in Chicago I think)
Oklahoma (at Spokane Arena)

Everything I have heard points toward Gonzaga cutting back on the difficulty of its non-league schedule. It's going to happen...to a degree. With next year's team having 7 new players on it, plus a sophomore center who has basically been out of organized ball for a year, the schedulers want to allow the team an opportunity to build confidence and togetherness.

CodeCobalt
03-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Illinois (in Chicago I think)
Oklahoma (at Spokane Arena)

Everything I have heard points toward Gonzaga cutting back on the difficulty of its non-league schedule. It's going to happen...to a degree. With next year's team having 7 new players on it, plus a sophomore center who has basically been out of organized ball for a year, the schedulers want to allow the team an opportunity to build confidence and togetherness.

if thats the case it sure sucks for A.D. and Bouldin particularly.

ZagManFan
03-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Who are we playing in the BIS again?

hockeyzag
03-30-2009, 08:42 AM
I think I heard someone say Arizona earlier this season for the BIS

Angelo Roncalli
03-30-2009, 09:16 AM
A BIS contract has not been signed for next year.

CDC84
03-30-2009, 09:36 AM
The non-league sked will still be difficult. It just won't be as nuts.

It's every bit as important for Austin and Matt to have a lighter schedule than it is for the newcomers. They have to get used to playing with and interacting with 7 brand new players who they have never played with before, and who do not possess one lick of D-1 basketball experience. It's going to be a learning process for all.

MississppiZag
03-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Oklahoma
Illinois
Memphis
Washington State
Idaho
Cal State Bakersfield

and

Maui Invitational- Cincy, Wisconsin, Chaminade, Vanderbilt, Gonzaga, Colorado, Arizona, and Maryland.

Those are the only games I know of.

Looks like we need 6 more games to = the 15 OOC games we played this year. We played 29 games total this year. Let's bump it up to 30 next year.

229SintoZag
03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
I keep hearing rumors that we can expect a legit OOC opponent or two in K2 next year. Not at Spokane Arena--at K2.

I hope these rumors are true.

VinnyZag
03-30-2009, 11:38 AM
I thought Illinois was this year's BIS opponent ... or is that the year after?

CodeCobalt
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
The non-league sked will still be difficult. It just won't be as nuts.

It's every bit as important for Austin and Matt to have a lighter schedule than it is for the newcomers. They have to get used to playing with and interacting with 7 brand new players who they have never played with before, and who do not possess one lick of D-1 basketball experience. It's going to be a learning process for all.

I don't feel it was difficult enough last year. Unfortunately we truely do have trouble playing against the top-25 teams. There is nothing wrong with that, its the way it should be in a good competitive league... Just I think if our guys played a few more big games after their slump it would have helped them in the long run.

Goshzagit
03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't feel it was difficult enough last year. Unfortunately we truely do have trouble playing against the top-25 teams.

Really?

We played eight NCAA tournament teams in our OOC schedule last season. How many teams in the country can claim that on their OOC resume?

Besides the Memphis debacle, we actually played our best bball vs the Top-25 teams such as Ok State, Maryland, UConn, Tenn, etc and lost the close ones to solid teams outside of the Top-25 i.e. Arizona, Portland St., Utah.

Zagdawg
03-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Are we still playing Memphis?--

Maybe we add in Kentucky and Virginia due to the coaching changes.

valoris
03-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Oklahoma
Illinois
Memphis
Washington State
Idaho
Cal State Bakersfield

and

Maui Invitational- Cincy, Wisconsin, Chaminade, Vanderbilt, Gonzaga, Colorado, Arizona, and Maryland.

Those are the only games I know of.

Looks like we need 6 more games to = the 15 OOC games we played this year. We played 29 games total this year. Let's bump it up to 30 next year.

Is that the field for the Maui Inv't next year? That field looks a little down from years past.

Hextall7388
03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Does anyone know what the process is for scheduling non-conference games?

For example, when we play Memphis, do they share the revenues from the ticket sales? Is there a flat fee that must be paid to visiting teams? Is this the reason why it seems many of the 'big games' are held at the arena rather than K2? Seems odd to me that when we travel we often have to play at our opponent's home court, but when they come to Spokane the games are held at the arena (Tennessee comes to mind). $$ seems to be the obvious answer. Are there other factors?

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I know that this sentiment has been echoed in earlier threads, but it may be a good thing that next year is going to be somewhat of a down year for Maui. With so many new faces that Few will be trying to work into the lineup, facing a little easier competition early on in the season may help the transition.

JosephZags
03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Is that the field for the Maui Inv't next year? That field looks a little down from years past.

I thought Louisville was in there...not Cincy.

hoopster777
03-30-2009, 05:28 PM

That field is WAY down. Gonzaga and maybe Vanderbilt & Wisconsin may be the only ranked teams going into that tournament. Maryland without Vazquez is pretty mediocre. Colorado sucked last year, but they return their whole team, Cory Higgins can really ball. Cincinatti sucks as well. Arizona will be awful.

JosephZags
03-30-2009, 05:44 PM
That field is WAY down. Gonzaga and maybe Vanderbilt & Wisconsin may be the only ranked teams going into that tournament. Maryland without Vazquez is pretty mediocre. Colorado sucked last year, but they return their whole team, Cory Higgins can really ball. Cincinatti sucks as well. Arizona will be awful.

While Vasquez said he will likely test the NBA draft waters, it's likely he will be back next year. Arizona, on the other hand, if Budinger and Hill leave, will be awful.

WallaWallaZag
03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
if willie warren takes off along with the griffin bro's...oklahoma won't be very good at all. the illini return almost the entire team, so they should be very good.

Birddog
03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
if willie warren takes off along with the griffin bro's...oklahoma won't be very good at all. the illini return almost the entire team, so they should be very good.
In the first place, Warren is probably staying because his stock has fallen like a rock. Secondly, Capel has 2 of these coming in http://terilynfisher.typepad.com/.a/6a00e5521d73ff8834011279471e6428a4-300wi for a total of 3. They won't be as good as they are this year, but they'll do OK.

CB4
03-30-2009, 08:01 PM
I'd be great if next year's schedule had a number of games at K2. For me, that is our biggest scheduling problem. Why don't we try to schedule games with teams like Xavier that are in the same boat as we are. Our series with Memphis is a great thing and I think we need to continue that with other teams in mid-major conferences.

In a perfect world we could have a Pac 10 team (not just WSU), a top mid major team, and a t25 in the Kennel year in year out. I realize it doesn't work that way but I'm sure there are some creative ways to entice big teams into playing us at K2.

Kiddwell
03-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Akron and/or Western Kentucky would be motivated visitors to the MAC. Maybe they both/either can be worked into the "at home" OOC schedule.

:]

CDC84
03-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Cincinnati replaced Louisville in the Maui field. Louisville backed out.

IODubyaA
03-31-2009, 07:43 PM
I thought Illinois was this year's BIS opponent ... or is that the year after?

I'm pretty sure its the year after with next year the game against Illinois at the United Center in Chi town.... I'm pretty sure because this will be the closest game to Iowa that I know of haha

CodeCobalt
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
We played eight NCAA tournament teams in our OOC schedule last season. How many teams in the country can claim that on their OOC resume?

how many of those games did we win though? Everyone always mentions the Maryland win... but they weren't even that good this year. Tennessee didn't play too good either, but those were amazing games to win, especially breaking their home-streak, one of the many highlights of the season. WSU played pretty good this season (for their program), but I expected a win from the zags in that one. UConn.... well there's absolutely no one who could say anything bad about that.

I'm sorry, I love the zags. I am just very very bitter about the media always underlooking us and predicting us to lose. I want it to end.... very very badly. Perhaps its because I moved from Spokane to Massachusetts, so thats why I see Gonzaga receiving absolutely no respect from anyone. I want us to play at least one of the top-tier teams such as Duke, UNC, UConn, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, 'Cuse... per season. This season was nice cause we did have UConn, Maryland, and Arizona in the regular season. My only real complaint is that they were all so early in the season, late in the season we just played teams that we were kind of expected to beat. I feel it made us weaker in the long run.

Are we still playing Memphis?--

Lol, well if we are it looks like it'll be a completely different team..... Today basically took all the fun that could exist in that rivalry away for a few years it looks like. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Good luck memphis.

In a perfect world we could have a Pac 10 team (not just WSU), a top mid major team, and a t25 in the Kennel year in year out. I realize it doesn't work that way but I'm sure there are some creative ways to entice big teams into playing us at K2.

We have an AMAZING way to discourage teams from playing us at our home court... Its the best student section in the world. No team wants to face the zags in our true home court. Why go out of their way to embarass themselves?

SpudDawg
03-31-2009, 11:09 PM
I like the thinking of CB4 and Kiddwell --bring in some high-quality mid-majors like Xavier, Western Kentucky, Butler, Bucknell, etc. We can get some mileage out of that.

EngineerZag
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
I agree with Cobalt - if we're going to gain any respect on the national level, and be able to compete at an elite level in the tournament, we have to keep playing a tough OOC schedule and include elite teams. Playing high-quality mid majors is a good idea too, but it isn't enough to get us to that next level.

Nevtelen
04-11-2009, 10:34 AM
—I checked with Hines on the rumor that Navy was a likely opponent for the 2009 Battle in Seattle. Hines is the promoter of the event.

“I think that has stopped,” he said. “Navy probably isn’t going to do it because it’s finals week that same week and they don’t want to travel across the country.”

As for lining up another opponent, Hines said he has “some other irons in the fire.”

Future Battles: Illinois (in 2010) and probably Arizona (in 2011).

I realize that we can't get a top name EVERY year. And I thought Nevada, a very good mid-major at the time, was fine a couple of years ago. But Navy? Really? Hopefully we can get a better team than that.