• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Kent Likely to Stay at Oregon...

at least in one writer's opinion. I wonder if anyone told John Canzano or Ian Furness?

You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

I can tell y'all right now, Few will not go to Oregon.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Bocco
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
      In BZ we trust.
      The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Comment

• dawgman1999
        Bulldog Fan
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
        I think that'd be true. I can't see them having any justification of letting Kent go. Next year, they have everybody coming back except Brooks. He'd be a top 3 team in the Pac 10 again. After couple years of utter disappointment, the Malik Hairston class is finally showing great promise. He recruited those kids, it's only fair that those kids can finish their career with him.

Few is also having an awesome recruiting class coming in. He's an icon in Spokane and he's already making good money here. Unless it's a Duke, UNC job, I can't see him going at this point.

Comment

• mdZag23
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

Oregon is a non issue...

The biggest problem arising is the alarming number of people that are considered possible replacements for the Kentucky job, taking their name out of the hat!

Pitino
          Calipari
          Donovan, etc.

This means that Fews name is climbing the charts quickly and you know that Kentucky is going to have a TON of money to throw at someone. I still don't think we have a ton to worry about at this point. I think Tom Crean has to be at the top of the list right now, but if he takes his name out of the hat....we might have to start worrying.

Just a Few thoughts..

Comment

• Nevtelen
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Honestly, I don't think the search will get to Few, but even if it did, I wouldn't worry about him taking it. I just don't think he's that eager to be in a hot-seat media-overload type of job. Yeah, it's a lot more money, but ten times as much more stress. Especially with the weak situation of the program at the moment. And Few isn't the type of coach who's in love with the media, that's for sure. He does his duty as far as the media appearances are concerned, but the Kentucky job takes a guy like Calipari or Wright who likes dealing with the media more day in and day out, who thrives in that bright spotlight. Few knows this. There are some jobs Few might leave for, but I really don't think Kentucky is one of them.

Comment

• EL MUSTACIO
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

Ok. Few built this program from the ground up. Yes, we had a down year but that doesnt make a coach leave. Especially what we are looking at for nect year. WE will have an AWESOME team next year. A coach doesn't just get up and leave when the future is very bright. He gets paid enough for money to not even be a factor. Right now, Few will not leave for any other jobs... unless hes an idiot... and hes not
              Master: Tell me, what's better than beating a Tar Heel?

Apprentice: Oh, that's an easy one teach. Beating a Husky

Comment

• thickman1
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Feb 2007

Can you see the rantings on the UK message boards and from alumni when they find out Few steps out on the occasional afternoon to get some fishing in? Oiy, it's all basketball all the time there...

Comment

• TuckC
                  Kennel Club
                  • Mar 2007

I see it like this. Mark Few will not go to Oregon right now unless Knight pays him LeBron Contract money, aka 0% chance this season. Kent could still go to one of those Midwest schools, or UNLV, because he could trade up, or because Oregon buys him out (they played one single digit team in the NCAA Tourney and USC was definately not USC in the PAC 10 Championship). I think Kent is an amazing Recruiter, just a subpar coach.
                  And I see Few going later on when his second hand man stays, be that Giaco or not. Few, I see, going to Oregon (2+ years away), Arizona (5+ years away), UCLA (5+ years away), UNC (Roy Williams retires and no grads are qualified), Michigan State (Izzo Retires), and Duke (K retires)

Comment

• zagfever86
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Feb 2007

If Few ever went to Oregon he could count on John Canzano ripping him every game his players didn't live up to expectations. Doesn't sound desirable to me.

Comment

• Northspokane
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Mar 2007

Mark Few would never be offered to coach at Duke or UNC. The major programs that he could go to: Arizona or Mich St based on retirement of their legendary coaches.

Comment

• GorgeZag
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Feb 2007

Oregon...

It looks like Kent will get to stay, but in a couple years they'll be kicking themselves for it when Hairston and Co. graduate. Porter is great and all but how will he preform when he is the only guy on the team worth anything. Let's face the facts, Kent had a great class with Hairston, Luenen and Talylor. Then the rumors started flying about Kent, in turn affecting his recruiting ability. Porter and Cantron are good players and all but would Kent have found them if he could recruit on the west coast or if they had any major competition for them? Is Kent going to be able to bring in Pac 10 quality recruits and maintain this run? The rest of the Pac is only going to get better, even after this great year.
                        Was it just me or was the only play Oregon could run a pick and roll at the top of the key, drive in, and if thats a no go kick it out for the three?

Comment

• Zag79
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Yes, we had a down year but that doesnt make a coach leave
                          not to nitpick but if this year is a "bad year" from here on out i look forward to many down to medium years... i dont think its nearly as bad as some people make it seem. with everything that went on and the scheduling i would say it was a success. winning the league and tourney titles, getting a POY guy, and making the dance isnt too shabby.

Comment

Working...
                          X