PDA

View Full Version : Calipari gone?

Snagglezag
03-30-2009, 07:16 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848

I sure hope not.

cjm720
03-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Kentucky would be a legit final 4 team in 2 years.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Memphis has a stacked recruiting class coming in and a lot of talent that will remain from this year's team. If they have a good fallout plan in place and they can keep the recruits, they should be in a great position for the next few years and it will be a great job for an up-and-coming coach. I sure hope they are able to do so, so the Gonzaga-Memphis "rivalry" can continue.

gamagin
03-30-2009, 07:47 AM
it seems like calipari has everything he needs and wants. perhaps except respect among the "big" schools and leagues.

However, that, too, has been a recruiting tool and a means of motivation as well, so it's hard to say whether he feels strongly enough to take on an even more rabid basketball program and its attendant challenges and demands.

Since he clearly can not only identify but recruit top players, I'm not sure why he would choose to leave Memphis and the program he has so clearly built up and commands.

We'll see. Either way, I like the fellow and I like what he has done at and with Memphis, and I hope he stays.

skan72
03-30-2009, 07:53 AM
If Calipari leaves I doubt those top recruits will stay at Memphis. I'm sure a big draw was A) the coach B) the dribble-drive-motion offense. Calipari leaves, I expect a lot of those players to also opt out of their LOI and sign somewhere else. Maybe even follow Calipari to Kentucky.

However, as gamagin said, I don't know why Calipari would leave Memphis, other than to play in a bigger conference. But Memphis always has a great OOC and he gets recruits that a lot of "bigger" schools don't.

CDC84
03-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Calipari had serious discussions with NC State when they had their opening a couple of years ago. He toured their campus, etc. But he never really had any serious interest in coaching there....it was just a business tactic, on his part, that was used to increase the pay of his staff at Memphis, and to bring more money into its basketball program. I wouldn't be surprised if this Kentucky thing is a similiar deal. I realize that UK is at a different level than NC State, but again, I still wouldn't be surprised if Cal is using this to generate a bidding war.

HillBillyZag
03-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I seriously wonder why many on this board seem to have joined the "I luv Calipari club? His recruiting style, his offensive scheme, and his image are about 180 degrees out from the Gonzaga, Few, prototype. I just can't warm up to the guy, he sends out the vibes of a "buy here, pay here" used car lot salesman down on the strip.

Ikancagin
03-30-2009, 10:06 AM
I seriously wonder why many on this board seem to have joined the "I luv Calipari club? His recruiting style, his offensive scheme, and his image are about 180 degrees out from the Gonzaga, Few, prototype. I just can't warm up to the guy, he sends out the vibes of a "buy here, pay here" used car lot salesman down on the strip.

One of the reasons to like him is that he is one of a few coaches that he will play us here and there. If he goes to Kentucky, maybe he will continue it.

Das Zagger
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't know why Calipari would leave Memphis, other than to play in a bigger conference.

There is your answer. I'm not even sure its a money thing with him either.

MDABE80
03-30-2009, 10:12 AM
I'd like to think loyalty means something more than the word "loyalty". In this era though, it seems like whoever spends the most money gets what they ask for..not necessarily what they want. Ask Alabama football.

He's a good coach but slippery. Hill and I agree on something. If the college ranks have deteriorated to just a business deal between a coach and an institution, I'm disappointed. Few/GU have a unique relationship this way.

KY is /was the pinnacle. Not sure it is nowadays. The press keeps saying it so it must be true. Even with the purported $5 million salary/perks, etc there, other things come with the work/headache. Not sure if new recruits can follow the coach that recruited them. I think the NCAA will et them leave the program they signed onto if the coach leaves. CDC/Angelo would know. GU and Memphis have had a good relationship. I suppose we could do that with KY as well. More things to think about in the off season...

HillBillyZag
03-30-2009, 10:14 AM
And do you think the reason he plays us could be that he is of the opinion that he can beat us most of the time? He gives me the same vibes that I get with "Tark", Sampson" Calhoun, etc.. that like the guy in "Dman Yankees" he would sell his soul to the devil just to win the big one.

cjm720
03-30-2009, 10:15 AM

The frustrations of being part of a weak conference, just ask Few. That said, our coach beats to a different drum and will never leave IMO.

GO ZAGS!!

BobZag
03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
For our friends in Memphis, I hope not. But I have a feeling Calipari is going to take it.

gamagin
03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I heard on the car radio (espn I think) this am that word was filtering out of a Memphis team meeting that Calipari was moving on, comparing Ky to "The Notre Dame" of basketball.

Bad analysis, imo, since ND fb hasn't done much in several years. But I think I know what he means: a franchise.

The item quoted players (but not by name) saying as far as they were concerned, he is gone.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Not sure if new recruits can follow the coach that recruited them. I think the NCAA will et them leave the program they signed onto if the coach leaves.

As the article states, Cousins could follow because he has not yet signed a LOI. As for other recruits who have already signed, it is up to Memphis whether to let them out of it. Another point to consider is if these recruits love Cal so much that they would go to a very clear rebuilding situation instead of onto a perennial national contender.

I wouldn't begrudge Cal going to UK. He's brought Memphis back from the post-Penny ashes, but Kentucky is Kentucky. It may not be just about the money. He might be a celebrity in Memphis, but he'd be a god in Lexington if he brought UK back to national contention. Rupp, Hall, Pitino, etc. I have no doubt Cal could succeed there.

Hope our Memphis series continues if Cal leaves, and I'll second the motion to begin a home/home with UK.

TigerfriendofZags
03-30-2009, 11:42 AM
It's a Black Monday in Memphis. We are all flabbergasted by news that Cal has resigned. He seemed to indicate just days ago he was staying here.

Cal was the face of our city, our inspiration, and basketball the one thing that brings our entire city together. We have had a corrupt mayor for years and years.

I can't imagine what he is seeking that we didn't give him. He always indicated he disliked the SEC and the BCS. We are all very upset and angry. And we were all depressed over our tournament loss and looking forward to next year. This is really a blow to our city and university and team.

Please keep us all in your prayers as we work through this. Our program will be back. We are just not sure what it will look like now. I hope you all remain our Brothers in basketball.

hls97
03-30-2009, 11:53 AM
A silver lining for Memphis: the inevitable sanctions that will follow Cal will now fall on KY rather than Memphis.

I've never trusted the guy. Waaaaay too oily.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
the inevitable sanctions that will follow Cal will now fall on KY rather than Memphis.

That's not the way it works. Ask Tom Crean about paying for someone else's crimes. Besides, Cal & Memphis are NOT under investigation. You may not like his personality, but he's clean.

People are talking like it's a done deal--anybody have a confirmation link?

MDABE80
03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Sorry Tiger.say it ain't so Joe!! KY must be coming up with a pretty spectacular package. I wonder what's the motivation. Well, he's got a good core at KY with Patterson and Meeks..if they stick around. Sad to see him leave our friends at Memphis though. Let's see what happens.......

hls97
03-30-2009, 12:52 PM
That's not the way it works. Ask Tom Crean about paying for someone else's crimes. Besides, Cal & Memphis are NOT under investigation. You may not like his personality, but he's clean.

People are talking like it's a done deal--anybody have a confirmation link?

I'm not saying they will follow him from Memphis. I am saying that his tactics will catch up with him sooner or later.

CDC84
03-30-2009, 12:53 PM
According to one source, Memphis has asked Mizzou's permission to speak with Mike Anderson.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/033009_Coach_John_Calipari_Talks_to_Kentucky

Goshzagit
03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Calipari is offered 6.67 million per year by UK. Are they serious?!

Given the economic struggles, I'm not sure if they're just desperate or completely out of their minds. The next highest paid Coach makes 3 mill per year. Wow.

I'm sorry to say, yet there is no way Coach Cal turns it down and no way Memphis can match.

I hope we can continue to see Memphis on the schedule and maybe Kentucky will be willing to schedule a home/home with Cal lobbying for us.

NYCZAG
03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Memphis Tigers=Orlando Magic
Kentucky Wildcats=Boston Celtics

That is why he will leave and coach Kentucky-It's all about ego and Kentucky is Royalty of College Basketball and they will pay out the ass to get him so why wouldn't he go-Memphis is GREAT but they aren't KENTUCKY as far as PRESTIGE-

skan72
03-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Memphis Tigers=Orlando Magic
Kentucky Wildcats=Boston Celtics

That is why he will leave and coach Kentucky-It's all about ego and Kentucky is Royalty of College Basketball and they will pay out the ass to get him so why wouldn't he go-Memphis is GREAT but they aren't KENTUCKY as far as PRESTIGE-

I don't think we need to compare pro ball to college ball here. As we're all college ball fans, we simply make this comparison:

Memphis Tigers = Memphis Tigers
Kentucky Wildcats = Kentucky Wildcats

That's it.
We're talking about Kentucky here, a hoops hotbed craving a program that will contend for national titles. A program that was THE program back in the day. The history here is beyond words and cataloging (almost).

Like I said, the only reason Cal will leave is because it is Kentucky and the bigger conference. Other than that, look at what he has at Memphis and who he is able to recruit.

No doubt, if he does leave, he will be able to swing the same recruits to Kentucky and take it back to where it used to be.

CDC84
03-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Calipari is offered 6.67 million per year by UK. Are they serious?!

They could've hired Tom Crean for a 1/3 of that price.

UberZagFan
03-30-2009, 04:07 PM
They could've hired Tom Crean for a 1/3 of that price.

They could've hired Uber for a 1/6 of that price.

WallaWallaZag
03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
As the article states, Cousins could follow because he has not yet signed a LOI. As for other recruits who have already signed, it is up to Memphis whether to let them out of it. Another point to consider is if these recruits love Cal so much that they would go to a very clear rebuilding situation instead of onto a perennial national contender.

if all the recruits calipari has lined up follow him to kentucky it definitely would not be a rebuilding situation...his incoming class is fabfive-like...plus, i wouldn't call the current talent at kentucky a very clear rebuilding situation either, particularly if he could convince meeks and patterson to stay. they seriously underachieved this year based on their supposed talent...

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
if all the recruits calipari has lined up follow him to kentucky it definitely would not be a rebuilding situation...his incoming class is fabfive-like...plus, i wouldn't call the current talent at kentucky a very clear rebuilding situation either, particularly if he could convince meeks and patterson to stay. they seriously underachieved this year based on their supposed talent...

True. I almost certain that Cousins hasn't signed his LOI, and, with all the hype that would surround the Kentucky program if Coach Cal went to Lexington, John Wall could very well end up a Wildcat as well.

skan72
03-31-2009, 05:50 PM

I wouldn't begrudge Cal going to UK. He's brought Memphis back from the post-Penny ashes, but Kentucky is Kentucky. It may not be just about the money. He might be a celebrity in Memphis, but he'd be a god in Lexington if he brought UK back to national contention. Rupp, Hall, Pitino, etc. I have no doubt Cal could succeed there.

Hope our Memphis series continues if Cal leaves, and I'll second the motion to begin a home/home with UK.

Cousins would certainly not go to Memphis anymore.
As for Xavier Henry, he would also severe his ties with Memphis, and it would not be up to Memphis to let him go as it states here in an article from Rivals:

Henry has language in his Letter releasing him from his obligation if Coach Calipari were to leave.

"In my Letter of Intent it is written that if Coach Calipari leaves, I can go anywhere," Henry said.

That means that both Kentucky and Kansas, who finished second behind Memphis last fall, would be options for Henry.

"I'll consider everybody," said Henry, when asked what he would do if Coach Calipari left Memphis. "I'll reopen everything."

Henry still has three official visits at his disposal.