PDA

View Full Version : Predict Robs stats for next season

thespywhozaggedme
03-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Since we're officially in the offseason, i.e. recruiting, projected starters, rumor and innuendo, I thought that I'd throw out a fun meaningless topic. What does everyone think Rob will do next season, considering that he's our one true "banger" and will get major minutes at the center position?

I say he averages 8pts, 8 rebs

theirishzag03
03-29-2009, 08:27 PM
If healthy--- I say

28 min, 12pts, 8rb, 2 blk

skan72
03-29-2009, 09:30 PM
He hasn't been known to get injured - as far as I know - except for this foot injury.

But, I'd say he will go for 9-10 points and 7-8 rebounds, with a block and a half in about 25-28 minutes.

MDABE80
03-29-2009, 10:16 PM
10-8 IF he's healthy and gets 30 mins/game.

Ezag
03-29-2009, 11:32 PM
I think Rob's foot injury was his second injury. I hope this isn't a bad sign that he is injury prone.

As far as stats I think 8pts, 6 reb a game

nonzagzag
03-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Next year: 9pts, 9 rbs.
3 years from now: 16 pts, 12 rbs ... late pick 1st round NBA draft

bartruff1
03-30-2009, 04:40 AM
I think Rob's foot injury was his second injury. I hope this isn't a bad sign that he is injury prone.

As far as stats I think 8pts, 6 reb a game Good estimate..

NEC26
03-30-2009, 05:01 AM
8 and 6 is probably about right but his ability to keep the bigs out of the paint is going to really open up the boards for everyone else. I really think our rebounding is going to improve next year.

roxdoc
03-30-2009, 06:04 AM
I am really excited about Rob's future as a Zag - that said I think 8 and 6 is about right for next year. Lets not put him on a pedestal too early.
We must remember that Rob is still a bit of a "work in progress" who has all the tools to be special a year or so out. I think his most immediate impact will be on defense, rebounding, and adding some much needed fire to the team.

Stay healthy Big Guy.

bigblahla
03-30-2009, 06:12 AM
If healthy--- I say

I agree.

Go!! Zags!!!

zagar
03-30-2009, 07:21 AM
I think 7-10 points a game is a reasonable average, but his point total is going to depend on his free throw shooting ability. With his body he could pick up a good amount of fouls. If solid, he could get up to around 12 to 14 points per game.

Also, I agree his best asset will be bodying up the other team's best big, which will open up rebounding for the rest of the team.

cjm720
03-30-2009, 07:28 AM
10-12 pts, 6-8 boards, 1.5 blocks...go to work, Rob!

Go Zags!!

hockeyzag
03-30-2009, 07:45 AM
7.5 pts 6 rbs 1.5 blks on 25 mins per game.

However, I do think he will be a team leader when it comes to hustle :)

skan72
03-30-2009, 07:47 AM
I am really excited about Rob's future as a Zag - that said I think 8 and 6 is about right for next year. Lets not put him on a pedestal too early.
We must remember that Rob is still a bit of a "work in progress" who has all the tools to be special a year or so out. I think his most immediate impact will be on defense, rebounding, and adding some much needed fire to the team.

Stay healthy Big Guy.

Who is putting him on a pedestal? Or are you just saying let's keep not putting him on a pedestal?

23dpg
03-30-2009, 07:48 AM
24 ppg
13 rpg
4 bpg

and he fixes the economy. He might also kick Chuck Norris' azz but I don't want to get too optimistic.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2009, 07:55 AM
If healthy--- I say

If he puts up these numbers...WOW! That would be amazing. I'm still sticking with my 8/8, but I like your style.

GoZags
03-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Cory Violette as a true freshman:
11.7 minutes per game -- 3.6 points per game -- 2.9 rebounds per game

Rob Sacre as a true freshman:
9.6 minutes per game -- 2.9 points per game -- 1.9 rebounds per game

Cory Violette as a soph:

27.1 minutes per game -- 13.5 points per game -- 8.1 rebounds per game

Although Rob was a much higher prospect (Top 10 High School center in the nation i.e. USA and Canada) I believe he'll score a little less than Cory as a sophomore (probably around 11 ppg) and rebound about the same (8 rpg).
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1437

hockeyzag
03-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Cory Violette as a soph:

Although Rob was a much higher prospect (Top 10 High School center in the nation i.e. USA and Canada) I believe he'll score a little less than Cory as a sophomore (probably around 11 ppg) and rebound about the same (8 rpg).

Although I hope you're right, I don't think the two players are very similar as I think Cory had much better hands and possibly a better understanding of the game. But I could be wrong, what a great thing it would be if Sacre got those kind of numbers next year.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2009, 09:51 AM

Cory Violette as a soph:

Cory had mad skills and a plethora of moves. Rob drops the ball out of bounds as much as he catches it. lol

HillBillyZag
03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Why put more pressure on these kids than they already have? I will go with the five that Coach Few plays. A lot of noses would be out of joint should Andy, or Sam just beat Robb out for that starters job.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Why put more pressure on these kids than they already have? I will go with the five that Coach Few plays. A lot of noses would be out of joint should Andy, or Sam just beat Robb out for that starters job.

Noses don't have joints. :D

What do you mean "I will go with the five that Coach Few plays." Do some posters here have veto power over coach Fews calls? Man, how do I get in on that? lol HillBilly, you need to relax and Chillbilly. We're having fun and discussing our favorite topic; our beloved Zags and the team next season. That being said, what's your prediction for Rob next season?

zag buddy
03-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Rob 5 points 6 rebounds 20 min.
Andy 12 points 6 rebounds 20 min.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
24 ppg
13 rpg
4 bpg

and he fixes the economy. He might also kick Chuck Norris' azz but I don't want to get too optimistic.

You are a very very Foo-ish man 23.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2009, 12:27 PM

Cory Violette as a soph:

I'd take a similar jump... but I'd also take about 75-80% of that jump... 8 or 9 and 6 boards sounds good. Don't underestimate what sitting on the bench can do for a player. Dan Dickau once said that the year he sat out allowed him to see the game better. It "slowed the game down" for him. Hopefully that will be true for Rob. If it did... I'd say the Cory level of numbers would be realistic.

EngineerZag
03-30-2009, 01:11 PM
I think Rob has the potential to be a low double digit scorer, his offensive game looked a lot better in the few games he played this season than it did last year. It remains to be seen as to what kind of role the coaching staff will want him to assume and what improvement if any he has made in that department. I'm guessing he'll average 9-12 ppg and 8 rpg.

Zags-Bsee
03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
LAST SEASON
8.8 minutes

30 minutes
3.4 multiplier

10.2 points
9.5 rebounds
1.4 blocked shots

DECENT COMPETITION
Oklahoma St
Maryland
Tennessee
@Indiana
@Wash St

Another year older, wiser, and more of the focus of the offense
with Bouldin, Meech, Gray, and Daye passing to him.

I predict he will do better than 10-10 average, especially by the time the WCC games are over.

Of course injure or less minutes screw up all my logic.

I think Rob is going to clean up on the inside.

StocktonIsMyHero
03-30-2009, 02:27 PM

Cory Violette as a soph:

Um... granted it's only five games, but we already have a sample of his sophomore year season. Not really much of a jump:

8.8 min a game -- 3.0 points -- 2.8 rebounds

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/cumulative-stats.pdf

There's no way to know what he'll average because it all depends on minutes. We assume he'll likely start and play significant minutes, but remember... only two players on this year's team even averaged 30 minutes a game.

Not expecting much out of Poling (I'm still not convinced his body is D1 ready), but if Foster and Dower both get somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes, Sacre may not get as much run as people are thinking, especially if Daye stays.

MotoZag
03-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't get too caught up in Sacre's stats, as it's going to take an effort by him AND the other likely starters (Bouldin, Daye, and whoever steps up to fill the other two). I agree that the teams success will be mildly dependent on his own success, but no more than the other positions.

SpokastSports
03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't get too caught up in Sacre's stats, as it's going to take an effort by him AND the other likely starters (Bouldin, Daye, and whoever steps up to fill the other two). I agree that the teams success will be mildly dependent on his own success, but no more than the other positions.

This two-fold. The team will not only be dependent on big time posting by Sacre, but also the leadership of Bouldin, the improved decision making by Daye and the quarterbacking of THA MEECH. If three of the four aren't clicking it will most likely be a roller coaster season.

skan72
03-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Um... granted it's only five games, but we already have a sample of his sophomore year season. Not really much of a jump:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/cumulative-stats.pdf

There's no way to know what he'll average because it all depends on minutes. We assume he'll likely start and play significant minutes, but remember... only two players on this year's team even averaged 30 minutes a game.

Not expecting much out of Poling (I'm still not convinced his body is D1 ready), but if Foster and Dower both get somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes, Sacre may not get as much run as people are thinking, especially if Daye stays.

I really can't see Foster getting 10 minutes a game.

GoZags
03-30-2009, 04:09 PM

While it is true that those were his stats during his 5 games as a soph, it's also true that the 5 games were his first action after missing fall practice and the earlier season games due to his foot surgery.

Zags-Bsee
03-30-2009, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't get too caught up in Sacre's stats,

I think relative to Josh's

29.2 minutes
14.9 points
6.5 rebounds

That Rob will pick up a lot of double double nights, and probably average a double double with less touches. I think he will be a major garbage collector around the rim and will punish those less athletic people in his way.

Picking the garbage so well will get Rob a lot of minutes, which will increase his numbers.

Or to put it in my favorite logical look, I wouldn't want to be opposing coaches trying to get my team to stop him collecting garbage offensive boards. He is just too big, strong and athletic. As he gets praise for this role, he will become dominant.

I believe Rob has the heart and passion to DOMINATE, and I believe his body will deliver. John Byrant and Samhan are amateurs athletically. More important I think Rob has more heart then either of them.

I think Rob will be better than any Center Gonzaga ever had. If Ronny wouldn't have sprained 2 ankles his senior year as I remember it, it would be a closer contest.

If Rob develops a Dennis Rodman type nose for Rebounds he will be our best player, even better than Austin. Athletic Big men willing to battle down low are very valuable.

Just my thoughts, can't wait for next year.

4AmericasTeam
03-30-2009, 04:48 PM
If he's healthy I predict he averages a double-double -- 12 and 11. A factor in this is that he can make free throws.

jim77
03-31-2009, 11:10 AM

29.2 minutes
14.9 points
6.5 rebounds

That Rob will pick up a lot of double double nights, and probably average a double double with less touches. I think he will be a major garbage collector around the rim and will punish those less athletic people in his way.

Picking the garbage so well will get Rob a lot of minutes, which will increase his numbers.

Or to put it in my favorite logical look, I wouldn't want to be opposing coaches trying to get my team to stop him collecting garbage offensive boards. He is just too big, strong and athletic. As he gets praise for this role, he will become dominant.

I believe Rob has the heart and passion to DOMINATE, and I believe his body will deliver. John Byrant and Samhan are amateurs athletically. More important I think Rob has more heart then either of them.

I think Rob will be better than any Center Gonzaga ever had. If Ronny wouldn't have sprained 2 ankles his senior year as I remember it, it would be a closer contest.

If Rob develops a Dennis Rodman type nose for Rebounds he will be our best player, even better than Austin. Athletic Big men willing to battle down low are very valuable.

I agree bees.

What little we've seen of him kinda tells me the guy is not bashful. Did ya notice how quick his feet are? The guy doesn't appear to be 7 feet tall because he so physically put together.....until you see him standing next to a NORMAL 6-10er. He could average 10 pts.easy just off of putbacks. You throw in Matt's passing and meech's ability to get to the hoop and the guy is gonna get fed till he's full. If he's 100% he'll get 28-32 minutes....and probably 12 boards.

dim4sum
03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Corey's intensity level was twice or three times that of Sacre.
Sacre will really have to step it up if he is to achieve that high a level of impact.
He's got the size to do it, but intensity can't be taught.

BobZag
03-31-2009, 02:19 PM
8 and 8.

Zags-Bsee
03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Corey's intensity level was twice or three times that of Sacre.

I haven't ever seen a basketball player 2 or 3 times Rob's intensity, not even Michael Jordan.

Now I would concede some players have 2 or 3 times the intesity of Will.

Corey's career numbers look like 12 points and 8 rebounds in about 28 mintues. I don't know how you measure intensity, but I am pretty sure a healthy Rob will excede these numbers.

Someone would be hard pressed to convince me Rob won't excede John Bryants numbers 18 points-14 rebounds in his senior year even surround with great talent. John didn't seem to have a lot of intensity, agreed.

Rob always played with as much intensity as John Bryant.

Rob is a man playing with boys. Especially in the WCC. If Josh would have stayed down low, he could have crushed the WCC.

Just my thoughts.

#1zagfan
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Minutes: 28-31
Rebounds: 7-9
Blocks: 1

I think Rob will be playing pretty good minutes getting alot and one points or free throws as he is a big time banger player. I think with all of this practice he has had and will have more practice with these great coaches..... he will get a lot better. I think he will have a great year:)

Zag79
03-31-2009, 09:26 PM
scoring and rebounding better than josh the senior, as a sophmore? wow. im not saying anyones crazy, but your crazy! ;) the only way he averages more points than josh is if the offense flows through him. josh didnt have as big of a year as he could because it wasnt a mission to run the O through him. the great stable of guards dictated who shot, and often it was themselves. it worked, im not knocking it by any means just saying thats why joshs numbers were lower than if he played at santa clara for example. i think 8 and 8 is a realistic goal for rob.

MedZag
03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Rob will put up 29-19-8 in the national title game next year. Come on everybody! Shoot for the moon!

*puts tongue in cheek*

I feel it is not fair to heap such expectations on Big Rob. I think best case scenario for him next year he's a solid player, worst case scenario he's an inconsistent, but solid, player. A lot of people talked about how he would have been the magic antidote this year, and will be next year. Rob's a very integral piece, yes, but he's no Blake Griffin.

Nevtelen
03-31-2009, 10:18 PM
I think Rob, because of his size, strength, and (most importantly) inclinations will probably be a better rebounder than Josh pretty quickly, barring any recurring foot issues (knock on wood everybody).

I think asking him to score as much as Josh did (at least next year) is problematic. Yes, I'm sure he's working a ton on his game (despite the forced down time from the foot surgeries), but Rob hasn't played in a D-I game in quite some time. I think averages of 6-8 points and 8 boards are very reasonable expectations. He'll probably get a few double-doubles, but look pretty average a few times, too.

If Daye keeps going at around 6-7 boards and the remaining post players, by committee, add on, say, 6-8 per, this team should look sharp on the boards next season.

skan72
03-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Rob will put up 29-19-8 in the national title game next year. Come on everybody! Shoot for the moon!

*puts tongue in cheek*

I feel it is not fair to heap such expectations on Big Rob. I think best case scenario for him next year he's a solid player, worst case scenario he's an inconsistent, but solid, player. A lot of people talked about how he would have been the magic antidote this year, and will be next year. Rob's a very integral piece, yes, but he's no Blake Griffin.

That's the thing no, no one has said that. Everyone has just mentioned how having a big banger who likes the true post position would have helped a ton, maybe we even win more games this year. That's all anyone has said. No where do I see anyone putting unrealistic expectations on him. The highest expectations I've seen have been 12 points 8 rebounds average.

mgadfly
04-01-2009, 06:57 AM
If Daye stays he is going to suck up a lot of rebounds. Bouldin and SG are good rebounding guards, and they'll get their share. If one of the new guys (Harris/Kong/whoever) is athletic or a banger, they'll get their shares. Plus Meech is an energy guy that is going to run down a disproportionately large number of rebounds compared to his height. Unless GU really turns the tempo up there won't be enough shots and possessions in the game to make some of these predictions come true.

I think Rob will play with more aggressiveness in the post than JH, but will also get himself into foul trouble because of it. I see him averaging 25 mpg and maybe 7 or 8 rebounds. The offense will go through Meech driving and Bouldin, Daye, and SG shooting so he'll average 8 points or so as the team's 5th option/clean-up guy. If our 5th option offensively is averaging 15 ppg, we'll be having one heck of a season.

Birddog
04-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Predict Robs stats for next season

7'0", 255 lbs

lothar98zag
04-01-2009, 01:30 PM
forget Rob's stats, what kind of stats will his belt buckle get?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/rmarc/SacreNC1.jpg (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=19987)

I say, at least -
32.9 ppg
18.9 rpg
8.7 bpg

bigblahla
04-01-2009, 03:42 PM

29.2 minutes
14.9 points
6.5 rebounds

The way to the promised land is through the heart and fire of Rob Sacre with some help from his friends. He looks like a leader of men to me.

Go!! Zags!!!