PDA

View Full Version : We Need A Warrior

FlagZag
03-29-2009, 05:48 PM
One look at the Elite 8 or Final Four teams makes it clear that all these teams are a combination of very good basketball players and warriors. A warrior is the guy in the paint who blocks or alters shots. He is Griffen, Psycho T and Thabeet. He gets 3-5 offensive rebounds and moves other players out of the paint. He is Cory or JP. This year we are who they said we were. We are ranked 10th and we were the 9th team out. They said we were soft and we were. Our 5 and 4 had zero offensive rebounds in a fight for the Elite 8. We have awesome basketball players. We need a warrior. I'm confidant Coach Few and the staff will scour the JC grads, transfers and international players and get us a big guy in the paint. Thats all we need. Maybe Will or Rob is that guy but right now they lack offensive skills. On to the Elite 8. I love this team. Zags forever! (PS Thanks JP, you are a warrior!)

4AmericasTeam
03-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I think his name might be Robert Sacre

BobZag
03-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Meech.

He was ready to take on Wayne Chism. :)

MotoZag
03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Meech.

He was ready to take on Wayne Chism. :)

Agreed... He's undersized, but he's from Texas and is the closest thing we'll have to a banger for the next few seasons as it looks. We have guys with size, but they aren't scrappy like him.

MississppiZag
03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
And Bobby Maze.:)

I think the tough players for the future will be Meech, Sacre, and Arop(from what I have seen in videos and heard from others). All play tough D and just seem like tough individuals. I like this core we have coming in. We got the finesse, offensively gifted players like Gray, Bouldin, and Daye. Then you add the toughness factor with Meech, Sacre, and Arop. Then you get the young and athletic players in Dower, Harris, and Kong. Sprinkle in the last ingredient with the blue-collar hard workers in Poling and Gibbs, and that makes for a fun team to watch.

If I had to pick one player from next year that will be that "warrior", it would have to be Meech. Like Bob said, Meech tried to take on Chism.

FlagZag
03-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe Sam D? Maybe Bol Kong? We've got the Greyhounds we need the Pit Bull in the paint.

Zag79
03-29-2009, 07:06 PM
we have warriors, pargo, micah and meech arent the position your talking. sacre was. josh is a great player, but needed to be at the 4. some people are failing to realize this team didnt have all its pieces. even still it was amazing, hell a sweet 16 even with its cons we discuss. remember, sacre was the 5, the big rebounding brute we missed against NC. dont sell the guys short because we didnt have everything they needed to get to the F4. they could have with the fellas we had, if we had the big we thought we would.

FlagZag
03-29-2009, 07:28 PM
That was then, this is now. We need a 5 for next year and no more "soft Zags". No dis to any of our players, love you Josh. A great season, lets talk 09-10.

dim4sum
03-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I agree that the team was totally lacking in a d-board,o-board warrior. But a persistent problem over the years has been the lack of 3-point d in important games, especially in the first half, when the team seems lethargic. Why do so many guards, obscure and otherwise, have such explosive first halves against us???

Therunner
03-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Our new "clan of warriors" are pictured here:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Bq9dWCmgsfI/SUAHmu2YJeI/AAAAAAAAAoI/uChyvMO_zus/s400/dowerslam.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lakwC58Lz-M/SCILyyY9UOI/AAAAAAAAABA/DA5XPlh9xXY/s320/Mangisto.jpg
http://www.douglascollege.ca/__shared/assets/mbbbolkong250165.jpg
http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1158124794.jpg

MDABE80
03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if the culture of basketball has changed. Pro's don't hav much in the way of defense and few hard asses out there who scrap. COllehe kids seem to be getting softer. Meech is a football brain when it comes to his idea of basketball.

Not sure I'm right on this but I was talking to one of our old Jesuits the other night. He thinks kids who have fire, know consequences of insufficient performances might be good. I doubted it but I thought about those kids who practice longer, work harder, won't get beat, etc. It's not the wealthy kids from comfy backgrounds. It's the guys who work hard because they love success and will do anything to avoid failure.

Find some kids who know consequences, have seen parents work too hard for too little. Disciplined kids who will do a "Rotnei" and we'll be smiling more IMO.

FlagZag
03-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Nice pics TheRunner but those are greyhounds. Gotta have them but where's the Big Guy in the paint. Next weekend (or this weekend) which of these teams do not have a widebody down low? It is what it is.

MDABE80
03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Well Rob's 7 ft and 260 with shoulders as wide as a mack truck. Is he not big enough flag? Let's not get carried away. SIze is good but running is essential. So is leaping. So are a lot of things. We needs teamates who like each other, tough kids, not used to success at their beckon call. Good athletes who want to win. Some will be this, fast and all those things. Some won't. It's a mix that Few arranges to win games....not just one type of game but mixed up games. Essential is talent.......talent who will hit the boards...unlike the UNC game.

FlagZag
03-29-2009, 08:55 PM
I think you are right. Describing players as greyhounds or pitbulls is inappropriate and impersonable. We have very talented players and next year will be even better. I guess my point, and only point, is we need the big guy in the paint to assert himself and whoever that may be it will be a defining moment for our team.

MDABE80
03-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Harris and Sam Dower sound like pretty tough customers. Pling might surprise now that he's 240 lbs....he's such a great finesse and talented player. I honestly think we'll be more than fine. Great guards with Austin and the thre above will make us very competetive. They all saw what happened this year. They'll be hungry for more. Harris really intrigues me. Been a low level pro and if one follows the comments since he's 16, everyone says he's big, strong and plays tough. I guess you'd have to be tough when you're teen in the Euro pros.....they play much more physically than here. Not a finesse group.

gamagin
03-30-2009, 07:55 AM
I want a BIG man, whose nickname I imagine will be "the refrigerator."

However, he has soft hands and a vertical leap of 34-36 inches to lift/launch his 6-11, 285 pound frame about as high as he (and we) just happen to need.

YET. Yet, he loves his mother, has a B+ average in English Lit, plays the piano, and wants to make time for the debate team. Uncle Rosy Grier even taught him to knit.

Despite this "softer" side, he will, like Ira, be coming from the professional ranks, and thus be a wily veteran.

Only this guy will be entering from WWF or perhaps the Cage fighting circuit.

One ear looks like a leaf of very dry, shredded, reddish lettuce (Romaine), since it was masticated, literally, to a shred of its former self during a head to head with a Grizzly Bear during an exhibition for the shriners hospital.

Unfortunately, the bear had to be euthanized when "the fridge" broke his back attempting to coax his ear's release. Fridge used his free arm to lift and repeatedly bash "Smokie" against a tree until what was left of his ear was finally released.

Long story short, "the fridge" wants to settle down, revive his lifelong dream of playing for the Zags and finishing his education. "I've had enough of the limelight. I want to settle down."

But why Gonzaga ?

"My great grandfather, Bronco Nagurski, always liked Gonzaga University and spoke of it fondly. He heard about it from (former GU coach & Redskins NFL coach) Ray Flaherty.

"My grandfather, Bronco, Jr., told me about it when I was a mere 210 pounder in the eighth grade. He said great grandpa told him there was just nothing quite like a Jesuit education. And one of the best was Gonzaga University.

"So here I am. If you will have me . . . ? ? ? "

Just as I am about to say yes, Yes, YES ! !! . . .

Then my alarm went off (again) and I had to get out of bed and face reality (again).

Go TEAM Zags !

Hoops Junkie
03-30-2009, 09:05 AM
GU has plenty of warriors; what it needs is a chief who can meld superior talent into a smooth functioning unit. With this team and with Morrison's
team too many individuals.(there is no I in team?).
Coach has to be strong enough to build individuals into one unit; not just
sub when things go wrong.:(

cjm720
03-30-2009, 10:10 AM
We essentially had four Bigs this year, and three played out of position and and Foster barely played. The loss of Sacre and to an extent Theo Davis derailed Few's plans a bit.

What's he done about it? We have Harris, Dower, and possibly Montreal (or that other Idaho CC recruit) coming in next year, all of which will likey see a fair amount of game action. Plus Sacre and Poling.

This will be Matt Bouldin's team, but with Meech running the floor next year, our toughness is sure to increase.

GO ZAGS!!!