PDA

View Full Version : Smile! Now we can talk Recruiting!

BroncoZAG615
03-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Our 2010 class should be very interesting since we have to fill a number of voids and a major one will be at guard. We put up a story about a 2010 prospect LaBradford Franklin who is an elite point guard prospect from Southern California. We were able to talk to someone from SLAM Magazine and he gave us some tremendous answers that really make it seem like Gonzaga could be Franklin's destination!

Let the rumors begin, it should be a wild offseason.

Here's the link: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/3/29/814435/moving-on-to-2010-labradfo

NEC26
03-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for making the off season fun and not quite so long. I look forward to your interviews with all the recruits. Good work guys.:)

ZagNut08
03-29-2009, 05:15 PM
my favorite time of the year for guboards

ZagNative
03-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Maybe we'll get some news of LaBradford at the Fullcourt Press Easter Classic April 8-10 in Las Vegas. (http://www.fullctpress.net/09fcpeasterclassic.html). Unfortunately, however, college coaches are not allowed to attend under recent changes in NCAA rules, so we'll have to rely on reports by reporting services, which have been doing a poor job this year (with a few exceptions - Jerry Meyer does a good job, IMO, but can extend himself only so far.)

The spring tournaments have always been fun in the past, but it looks like we'll have to wait until summer to find reports of sightings of Zag coaches at prospects' games.

BobZag
03-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Hicks should be in Vegas for that tourney, too.

spudzag
03-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks Bronco. I also enjoy the recruiting season. This one will be interesting with only two scholorships to give.

This quote from Justin Wall stood out to me;

I have seen the Gonzaga recruit list, LaBradford is a recruit they are seriously considering along with 3 other guards.

ZagNative's chart includes 4 point guards;

Aaron Bright
LaBradford Franklin
Jordin Mayes
Terrell Stoglin

Do you suppose those two lists are a match? :D

There are also four more shooting or combo guards. Missing from the list of prospects for bigs is noticably skimpy, only Kevin Panzer. (I'm not taking Josh Smith's name on the list too seriously)

Adding one guard in 2010 seems about right, would be 5 total. It will be interesting to see what names pop-up for 4s or maybe a 5.

MississppiZag
03-29-2009, 06:43 PM
The kid has a 3.8 GPA and is a shooter. I like him already.

BobZag
03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
The staff will really have to put in a lot of hours scouting Franklin. Without playing this season, it makes it more difficult. There are some very good options out there. All I want is the best one of the bunch. :)

justinwalshBIL
03-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Realistically, Ball is life will be covering the majority of the Belmont Shores' AAU events for the summer (LB's team). Jerry Meyer is always a guy who covers the scene well, but he only goes to a few events per area per summer, he just doesn't have the time. I'll be covering quite a few events on the west coast for SLAM and BIL, so I'll make sure we get extensive information and video of all the Zaga recruits you guys seem to want to know more about. And yeah, that ZagNative scholie table is pretty darn accurate. Also, I spoke to a sports writer in Canada who works for The Score (it's a Canadian sports outlet), she told me Kong SHOULD be able to get his school visa to be able to play in the fall, but nothing's for sure yet.

justinwalshBIL
03-29-2009, 07:59 PM
BobZag, The advantage is Franklin's AAU coach, Dinos Trigonis. You and I both know he's the most connected, best AAU coach in the west coast (without the corruption accusations like the SCA coach). His Pangos & Fullcourt Press events consistently have the most D1 prospects, so it's not out of the realm of reality that Gonzaga would have a scout at most of the events, simply because of the vast amount of recruits at the events.

The CIF decision was unfortunate and really slowed down Franklin's recruitment. Thank goodness he's not going to be screwed by the system, he's still going to have this summer of AAU, and his entire senior year of HS to show his stuff.

Jordin Mayes is going to be a hard sell for the Zags, Mayes has quite a few Big12 offers, he might go that route.

CodeCobalt
03-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Alright, well if I could recruit anyone to the zags... It wouldn't be a player.... What we really need and needed from '99, a strength coach. I know back in the day when we were the runts of the liter a strength coach wouldn't have mattered terribly much, as our guys were by no means the most athletic, but most definitely had the largest heart. I feel it would have still been beneficial, get as much bulk as we can on those guys and they'd be that much better.

The past few years though strength has really been killing us. We need guys who are going to get in there and have the ability to push around or at least fend their own (strenghtwise) against all the big guys.

When I heard about A.D. years ago I was pumped, he was a tall athletic guy, but skinny as a rail. I really really felt that given another year he was gonna bulk up considerably. Its been 2 years now and it doesn't appear that he has gained much speed or strength. In our conference, finesse and skill is enough to win. But to compete with the ACC and Big east we could really use some brute strength.

Just imagine this years zags with even 1 or 2 players having an extra 20 pounds muscle? The heart wasn't all there for this years zags either, I miss seeing guys play as if their lives depended on it.

so I really hope the zags get a good strength coach. Get guys that already have great cardio and finesse (like we've been doing) and start bulking them up immediately, laying off slightly during the season. GO TEAM ZAGS, and I have no doubt that Mark Few knows 100% what he is doing and needs.

skan72
03-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Alright, well if I could recruit anyone to the zags... It wouldn't be a player.... What we really need and needed from '99, a strength coach. I know back in the day when we were the runts of the liter a strength coach wouldn't have mattered terribly much, as our guys were by no means the most athletic, but most definitely had the largest heart. I feel it would have still been beneficial, get as much bulk as we can on those guys and they'd be that much better.

The past few years though strength has really been killing us. We need guys who are going to get in there and have the ability to push around or at least fend their own (strenghtwise) against all the big guys.

When I heard about A.D. years ago I was pumped, he was a tall athletic guy, but skinny as a rail. I really really felt that given another year he was gonna bulk up considerably. Its been 2 years now and it doesn't appear that he has gained much speed. In our conference, finesse and skill is enough to win. But to compete with the ACC and Big east we could really use some brute strength.

Just imagine this years zags with even 1 or 2 players having an extra 20 pounds muscle? The heart wasn't all there for this years zags either, I miss seeing guys play as if their lives depended on it.

so I really hope the zags get a good strength coach. Get guys that already have great cardio and finesse (like we've been doing) and start bulking them up immediately, laying off slightly during the season. GO TEAM ZAGS, and I have no doubt that Mark Few knows 100% what he is doing and needs.

I'm pretty sure that there was a strength coach at Gonzaga the past summer talking to the guys at the team camp.

Also, if you notice, Pargo and Boulding are jacked. Goodson is on the way there. I don't think that is really a problem, a lot of the guys are skinnier, but I'm sure the coaches can tell them to workout or whatever. We just need guys who are tougher and willing to bang, you can't "hire" one of those. They need to be recruited.

CodeCobalt
03-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Also, if you notice, Pargo and Boulding are jacked. Goodson is on the way there. I don't think that is really a problem, a lot of the guys are skinnier, but I'm sure the coaches can tell them to workout or whatever. We just need guys who are tougher and willing to bang, you can't "hire" one of those. They need to be recruited.

We need a better strength coach then lol. We need him at more than just the summer training camp as well. Pargo came in jacked, Goodson was pretty good too. Bouldin is the ish as far as I'm concerned, I love the kid and think that nationally he is one of the most under-rated NBA prospects, and he definitely has gained a fair amount of muscle mass, but he was also pretty decent coming in. I dunno, maybe Dayes (in particular) genetics just arn't meant to bulk up.. Or maybe hes just so big he looks lanky I dunno... I do know he could play stronger. Sorry for bashing Daye too... he just comes to mind and I'm too lazy to dig deep.... I do love the zags and I mean no disrespect.

And definitely, kids that can bang... I dunno what happened this year because Few is really good at getting kids who are willing to get banged up and scrap. At times this years team didn't have a sign of scrappiness.

justinwalshBIL
03-29-2009, 08:36 PM
I just think Gonzaga needs to get pissed again and play with more heart. This year I think they were more worried about their preseason final four stuff on their back then just playing with heart. They got shellshocked a few times. This isn't a slight against them, they played well- I just think with the Zags, it's less about the physical side and more about the mental side. Look at Missouri, they aren't in any way more athletically gifted than Memphis, I've seen both in person- The difference is that Missouri PLAYED tougher, they didn't seem shocked by anything. Gonzaga can play just as tough, they just need to mentally prepare better next year.