PDA

View Full Version : PBriz's 2009/10 Early Predictions

pbriz
03-29-2009, 04:13 PM
The overall feel of the 2009/10 Zags will be determined very early due to the battles that will take place for playing time.

Foster, Poling, and Dower will all compete for backup minutes at the 4 and 5 behind Sacre and Austin (assuming he stays).

I see Poling winning this battle and getting good minutes at the 4 spot and Dower and Foster sharing 12 min/game at the 5 spot, with perhaps harris getting some minutes in the post also.

Kong, Arop, Gibbs, Harris will have an absolute battle for minutes. I think Kong will win the overall battle, however Manny will find a niche as the season progresses due to his tough defense and length that will frustrate opponents. Gibbs will take the role of a Bobby Frasor type and will get a few looks each game.

Bouldin, Meech, and Gray will all get their minutes and this lineup will no doubt start at the beginning of the year. The end of the year may be slightly different, with Kong starting over Gray if Gray does not see an improvement in his game.

Distribution of Minutes/game:

Sacre: 28 min/game (Foster: 5 min/game, Dower: 7 min/game)
Daye: 30 min/game (Poling: 8 min/game, Harris: 2 min/game)
Bouldin: 28 min/game (Arop: 12 min/game)
Gray: 25 min/game (Kong 15 min/game)
Meech: 30 min/game (Gibbs 10 min/game)

I see us winning 2 in Maui, losing 1
I see us dropping 3 more in out of conference (however I see us beating Memphis next year with our more athletic lineup)
I see us losing twice in league (@ Portland, then a head scratcher)

6 seed in the tournament, we peak at the end of the year and knock of a 3 seed before falling to a strong 2 seed such as Duke in the round of 16.

2010/11......... Elite Eight
2011/12........National Runner-Up

CDC84
03-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Harris is probably going to be getting more than 2 minutes a game. There is some feeling that he may be the gem of the entire 2009 class; I would imagine that there is going to be some really crazy competition in practice. It's going to be hard to divide up the minutes.

I would like to see Austin play more at the 3 at times....but it depends on the matchups.

billyberu
03-29-2009, 11:42 PM
I would like to see Austin play more at the 3 at times....but it depends on the matchups.

I really believe if we're to properly utilize him that this is where he needs to play. You've forgotten more than I'll ever know about basketball CDC, but I can't get out of my head the fact that the last two years we have lacked a true back to the basket big man which has led us to play both Josh and Austin out of their true positions.

I don't know what this means for Gray, but I see some serious competition heating up with all of the new faces coming into our program and his minutes may diminish. Since Daye has been playing for Gonzaga he has been asked to bang with the PF's of the college BBall ranks and while he rebounds well I just don't think he has the frame to constantly and consistently bang with big men. Playing him at the wing just opens up many new possibilities within our offense if (and it's a big if) Sacre can step up into his role as a 5 and one of the incoming freshman or Poling can play at the PF position.

Ezag
03-29-2009, 11:56 PM
I think you're all delusional:drool:

CDC84
03-30-2009, 09:57 AM
The problem with playing Austin at the 3 is that it won't work from a defensive standpoint against certain teams...particularly teams that possess highly athletic, undersized attacking wings like Villanova does. They'll just blow right by Austin.

VinnyZag
03-30-2009, 11:52 AM
The problem with playing Austin at the 3 is that it won't work from a defensive standpoint against certain teams...particularly teams that possess highly athletic, undersized attacking wings like Villanova does. They'll just blow right by Austin.

Yes. Daye at the '3' only works if they play zone, and I'm not fond of zone.

I realize Gray was in bit of a shooting slump for much of this year, but I think some of you are selling his overall game a little short. He's turned himself into a good defender, he attacks the rim when that's available, he's a good passer. He'll play more minutes next year, not less.