PDA

View Full Version : I miss the dirty Zags...

AzZag
03-29-2009, 07:16 AM
let me first state that by dirty, I don't mean cheap shots and knee bone steaks...

I miss the diving on the floor for loose balls, the boxing out, and the "fight" and grit that helped put this program on the map. I understand the talent level has increased significantly over the years, but there is no reason that the fight in the Dogs should have ever gone away.

It reminds me of Michigan football this year and how they thought their name alone would win games. Now, the Zags feel like they can step on the court and intimidate some teams or match some teams based on their talent level.

We need to bring back the underdog mentality. I really enjoyed watching Missouri this year (even though they are a BCS school) Their 40 minutes of hell and grit was a pleasure to watch.

I feel that the toughness is gone. One could say they showed toughness by going undefeated in the conference, but let's face it, the conference was down. No Patty Mills, No Brandon Johnson, and Portland didn't have the necessary confidence yet to achieve greatness.
The Zags won the conference and tourney on talent alone.

I just wish there was more dirty work done and less finess at times.

bartruff1
03-29-2009, 07:29 AM
7' 290lb 26 year old Estonian or Serbian National Team Member who is just out of jail for manslaughter and is trying to turn his life around...and having limited success....

cbbfanatic
03-29-2009, 08:03 AM
agree fully with initial post.

seems like its been awhile...

GU69
03-29-2009, 08:44 AM
I miss the diving on the floor for loose balls, the boxing out, and the "fight" and grit that helped put this program on the map.

David Pendergraft.

Micah Downs.

AzZag
03-29-2009, 09:38 AM
David Pendergraft.

Micah Downs.

Exactly....one guy a year, instead of the five guys we need.

What happened to all of the basic fundamentals that we always utilized?
we NEVER box out...EVER...you would think with our soft inside prescence that we would make this a priority. Offensive rebounds allow for second chance points and those KILLED us this year.

And who recently has set a strong, yet legal screen?

I assume we have a non-existent strength coach, hence half the team looking like starved skeletons. Pargo, Brown and Sacre walked onto campus with those bodies.

The "dirty" got the job done for Portland State against us this year...

We need to bring dirty back...

NOZaga
03-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Agreed.

Zags have stopped being a mid-major and are now in with the rest of the premier teams in the nation and it's obvious. Losing to Portland State AT HOME is embarrassing. Letting teams like Akron and Western Kentucky compete when it's so obvious we are so much more talented is pathetic. Not since we lost to Arizona in the 2nd round of the tournament have we lost to a team that was better or equal to us until this year and that shouldn't happen EVERY year.

You can have that swagger like some teams do, but you have to play hard to go along with it, and that's what makes great teams. The name alone isn't going to beat a team.

PS - Whoever thinks Micah Downs was a 'dirty' player who hustles, etc is crazy. He's one of the laziest wastes of talent I've seen.

RenoZag
03-29-2009, 10:02 AM
"embarassing"

"pathethic"

"laziest wastes of talent"

"crazy"

Those describe your first post with great accuracy, NOzaga. Take a number and join that line of trolls over there. . .

kitzbuel
03-29-2009, 10:26 AM
"embarassing"

"pathethic"

"laziest wastes of talent"

"crazy"

Those describe your first post with great accuracy, NOzaga. Take a number and join that line of trolls over there. . .
It's so embarrassing that the Zags are a Sweet 16 team and one of the 20 best in the nation.

gu03alum
03-29-2009, 10:34 AM
PS - Whoever thinks Micah Downs was a 'dirty' player who hustles, etc is crazy. He's one of the laziest wastes of talent I've seen.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Great post.

MDABE80
03-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Coming when the season is over....this is a waste of space. These negative opinions don't contribute much toward next year. Let's look ahead. Micah was "uneven" in his performances and we all had huge hopes for him. I never saw him "dog it" the last half of the season. I wish we had him for another season.

I have no standing on this board but I encourage everyone to think positive as we move to the next season. I feel bad enough as it is. Not as bad as last year with Davidson (not close) but bad enough. To keep beatin a dead horse might make some feel better but to what purpose or end? We have a superior core coming back. Much more than other top 20 teams.

We finsihed up a swt 16. Teams are always tougher whenin natonal playoffs. I don't thnk Akron or WKU seemed easy. They competed hard. Yes, they deserved to be in the tournament. We won. What's the problem?? Will we get beyond a swt 16 ever again? I dunno but I'mgrateful we got there this year. Sweet 16 teams are a cut above...way above in our case........the 48 teams that are gone. Let's not forget our roots. We are still moving ahead, the future is very bright and we're still a young program at this level of competition.

sittingon50
03-29-2009, 11:37 AM
:lmao:

bartruff1
03-29-2009, 11:40 AM
but in the Pitt/Nova game last night....no one went to the hole without getting knocked on their butt...and yet, many of them were so strong they could finish...look at the number fouls in that game...I dont' recall out guys knocking people on there butt very often this season...I will be surprised if UNC or OKA can win against the big kids...man, they are tough....yes I know we couldn't would't shouldn't beat Ucon...but they are a lot better now..

Zaghuatanejo
03-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Agreed.

Seriously? :confused: Go under the bridge with the other trolls.

Saxon_zag
03-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Agreed.

Zags have stopped being a mid-major and are now in with the rest of the premier teams in the nation and it's obvious. Losing to Portland State AT HOME is embarrassing. Letting teams like Akron and Western Kentucky compete when it's so obvious we are so much more talented is pathetic. Not since we lost to Arizona in the 2nd round of the tournament have we lost to a team that was better or equal to us until this year and that shouldn't happen EVERY year.

You can have that swagger like some teams do, but you have to play hard to go along with it, and that's what makes great teams. The name alone isn't going to beat a team.

You're not a zag fan, get out of here.

AzZag
03-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Coming when the season is over....this is a waste of space. These negative opinions don't contribute much toward next year. Let's look ahead. Micah was "uneven" in his performances and we all had huge hopes for him. I never saw him "dog it" the last half of the season. I wish we had him for another season.

I have no standing on this board but I encourage everyone to think positive as we move to the next season. I feel bad enough as it is. Not as bad as last year with Davidson (not close) but bad enough. To keep beatin a dead horse might make some feel better but to what purpose or end? We have a superior core coming back. Much more than other top 20 teams.

We finsihed up a swt 16. Teams are always tougher whenin natonal playoffs. I don't thnk Akron or WKU seemed easy. They competed hard. Yes, they deserved to be in the tournament. We won. What's the problem?? Will we get beyond a swt 16 ever again? I dunno but I'mgrateful we got there this year. Sweet 16 teams are a cut above...way above in our case........the 48 teams that are gone. Let's not forget our roots. We are still moving ahead, the future is very bright and we're still a young program at this level of competition.

My original post wasn't a waste of space. And, I am moving forward. All I am stating is that to move forward and advance to the NEXT level, we need to nut up, and bring back our fundamentals, edge and grit. If you look at the past decade we went from a team that had all heart, and some talent, to all talent and some heart.

Boxing out is ALL about heart. Period. It doesn't matter if you have the wingspan of A Daye or the hops of S Gray, if you don't compliment those god-given attributes with boxing out, you leave the door open for someone else to get the rebound and convert on second chance points.

I believe the program has a choice. They can either be a step ahead of the Western Kentucky's, who are step ahead of the average D1 team, or they can become even more elite like Memphis.

I truly believe if the program rekindles that underdog fire, and the us against the world mentality, there will be glorious years to come.

Those are positive words...

GonzagaDynasty
03-29-2009, 03:32 PM
I dunno what is wrong with all of you guys, But grow some thicker skin. It seems like most of you have no problem putting down guys like Daye and Pargo, but when someone says something about a guy like Downs or Foster, you get all upset. Sounds like some of you are letting your personal preferences get in the way.

Micah Downs is no where near a Pendo type guy. I guess we can pick on the black guys with ego's, but when we pick on the all american white boys, thats a NO NO.

gu03alum
03-29-2009, 03:44 PM
I dunno what is wrong with all of you guys, But grow some thicker skin. It seems like most of you have no problem putting down guys like Daye and Pargo, but when someone says something about a guy like Downs or Foster, you get all upset. Sounds like some of you are letting your personal preferences get in the way.

Micah Downs is no where near a Pendo type guy. I guess we can pick on the black guys with ego's, but when we pick on the all american white boys, thats a NO NO.

You are totally off. You shouldn't say what was said about Downs about any of the players. I don't care who it was said about it has no place here. Saying that a player is the
laziest wastes of talent is totally uncalled for.

Saxon_zag
03-29-2009, 03:47 PM

LOL you IDIOT i wouldn't want this crap said about any zag.. You go and play the RACE card... you have got to be kidding me

EngineerZag
03-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Oh my word, some people with victimization mentalities make EVERYTHING about race. This is ridiculous. Mods would you please ban this troll?