PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms

SteeleMan
03-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Instead of the black, why not a throwback from 1999? No other team in this tournament, that I have seen, has changed their uniform for a game. I don't understand the decision. Then again, i may be making more out of this than there is... thoughts?

MississppiZag
03-28-2009, 07:16 PM
They have worn the black jerseys 4 times this year. Saint Mary's, Santa Clara, San Diego, and UNC. 3 game winning streak with the blacks. Brought to a miserable end on Friday. ;)

SteeleMan
03-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah, i know Mississippi. The black just didn't feel right from the tip on this one... Wearing them to stimulate the team or stimulate the Zag economy with Jersey sales?

zagsfan21
03-28-2009, 08:01 PM
It's the Nike economy, not the Zags.

Truthfully, the guys probably just like them. Probably nothing more to it.

TeachforZagNation
03-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I too was hoping for some royal blue throwbacks.

Missouri, in gold, wore alternate road unis like we did. Traditionally they wear black on the road.

I think the black signified the bounce in our step since the Memphis loss. It wasn't there last night.

In terms of Nike, Nike might be a little peeved. We didnt wear the special uniform they designed for the us and many of the players were not wearing the special shoes. Wondering why we couldnt coordinate our shoes and all wear black.

GonzagaDynasty
03-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, guys... But I cannot remember one college in the history of Basketball ever wearing throwback jerseys.. Am I right?

Probably has something to do with who makes the jerseys has the say in what they wear.

roxdoc
03-28-2009, 09:05 PM
I have a hard time remembering when a school wore something other than its school colors, particularly in a important, big exposure game. Hope Nike is satisfied and that we got it out of our system once and for all.:mad:

cbbfanatic
03-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, guys... But I cannot remember one college in the history of Basketball ever wearing throwback jerseys.. Am I right?

Probably has something to do with who makes the jerseys has the say in what they wear.

i can remember a few. it definitely happens

Das Zagger
03-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Michigan State has worn the "Magic" throwbacks that just say "State." UNC has worn the "Jordan" era throwbacks as well.

TeachforZagNation
03-28-2009, 09:56 PM
uconn and villanova do as well. i think michigan too.

gu03alum
03-28-2009, 11:08 PM
It's pretty silly to think that some of you actually think the color of the uniform has a bearing on the outcome of the game. If only it were that easy. Gonzaga wears blue jerseys and beats UNC by 20. UNC beat Gonzaga. UNC could have been wearing pink and still beat GU by 20.

Trust me, I wish Gonzaga had won and I wish I could blame the loss on anything but UNC being a better team. The fact is UNC outplayed Gonzaga.

SteeleMan
03-29-2009, 07:09 AM
I think that your point is part of the point here. I don't think anyone is saying that the Jersey's they wore had lost the game. But when the Zags are in their "tough" black uni's and get handled the way they did, you have to ask why? What's their identity? Who are they trying to be? The success at GU has come from keeping things in perspective, not trying to be bigger than they are. I hope that part of the program returns. Again, probably thinking way to much about this...

It's pretty silly to think that some of you actually think the color of the uniform has a bearing on the outcome of the game. If only it were that easy. Gonzaga wears blue jerseys and beats UNC by 20. UNC beat Gonzaga. UNC could have been wearing pink and still beat GU by 20.

Trust me, I wish Gonzaga had won and I wish I could blame the loss on anything but UNC being a better team. The fact is UNC outplayed Gonzaga.

misszigzag
03-29-2009, 07:36 AM
I think that your point is part of the point here. I don't think anyone is saying that the Jersey's they wore had lost the game. But when the Zags are in their "tough" black uni's and get handled the way they did, you have to ask why? What's their identity? Who are they trying to be? The success at GU has come from keeping things in perspective, not trying to be bigger than they are. I hope that part of the program returns. Again, probably thinking way to much about this...

Yes I think we are over analyzing this a bit much.

While I can't speak for the team, I can assure you the guys are NOT trying to change their identity. They liked the black uniforms and if coach approved, that's all she wrote folks.

cbbfanatic
03-29-2009, 12:26 PM
maybe its all an overanalysis, but i think the black uniforms are stupid in principle.

black is not gu's color
they dont have the school name on them
have an identity and stick to it

CB4
03-29-2009, 01:14 PM
maybe its all an overanalysis, but i think the black uniforms are stupid in principle.

black is not gu's color
they dont have the school name on them
have an identity and stick to it

No it's not a school color. Navy and red are not original school colors either. Black uniforms are the trend in college sports these days. Let's be thankful we get the opportunity to be one of only a select number of teams Nike sponsors to wear them.

The name ZAGS is much more of an identity than our mascot, a Bulldog. We are the only team I can think of that has a name like that on our uniforms that is just as recognizable as the school.

zagco
03-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Zagco thinks the blue throwbacks for Gonzaga would be a hit. A lot of fans would snap those babies up as soon as they hit the shelves.

The other thing that might be really cool is we could bedazzle the jerseys we have--maybe make the numbers and the name and the school glitter and shine off the big lights. Wow.